Roof with this DLC

Can I build an air-conditioner too?

Seriously, you all want to sap the fun out of the game. Don't Starve is already easy enough, and now you want a house to completely remove the elements from your world? Go remove it from the World Gen - no one stopping you (and don't give me any of that 'integrity' nonsense - no good players play with Normal settings, they're too boring).

And isn't there a mod with a House (Halloween mod and Pig House mod)? That isn't enough? So, how would a House fit into the current game without breaking it but not being utterly gratuitous (though I don't see how)?

I'm so glad I'm not alone on this. It was really lonely defending the game's original concept design.

If you guys think that you still have the chance of getting craftable roofs/houses into the game, please give up. You're just wasting your time. The developers will never add houses or roofs specifically for the player to use, as long as the Siesta Lean-to and the tent exists.

That's not what we're talking about here, God damn it! You can already create a house!!! But without a roof, which is what we want (check the TITLE if you still don't get it). Roofs would be possible to place above fully upgraded walls and would have three types. One piece of roof would be as big as one turf and would go semi transparent so you can get what you want. Things like Lightning rods would either have to be placed outside or in the house with a place without the roof. There would be 3 kinds of roofs:

Hay roof:

Really small insulation from heat and cold.

Really small protection from rain.

Wooden roof:

Quite small insulation from heat and cold.

Quite small protection from rain

Stone roof:

A medium insulation from heat and cold

100% protection from rain

Now you might think well that's just OP: NO. The roofs can easily be destroyed by mobs that would attack the walls as well, and the insulation and protection from rain isn't postable. If you want your veg and everything harvested you'd need stuff to protect you if it rains and if there is a bad weather as the crops wouldn't be possible to fertilise themselves from the rain if the roof is in the way, especially if it's a stone roof and if you wanted some exploration and giants not wrecking your base; in the end roofs would be mid-game items you can ONLY craft if you have one fully repaired wall placed underneath. Nothing much, plus makes sense and in my opinion would work just fine. Logically the roofs would also need to be repaired as from multiple rains they would start to collapse, meaning they are really bad in Spring.

How's that for an explenation?

Believe me, I get it -.- They're not going to add roofs of any kind. It would be too OP, even if mobs could destroy them (who lets mobs in their base anyhow?). There are already enough items to counter weather on the go. Once again, we don't need something in the game that completely negates the work they did to make seasons. It would just be a dumb move. 

As for having to leave your little resort with a roof to go get food, you could just set up one of these roofs by and bunch of rabbits and BAM. You live forever, only worrying about hounds and giants. With the occasional venture out for stones, sticks, and grass, all which could be located very close. 

It's just not an idea for this game. It would just make it too easy. If you REALLLY want roofs for some unknown reason, there are plenty of MODS out there. That's why the Devs let the people mod, so they can play with whatever items they want.

I wasn't trying to make devs to make it, as I KNOW they won't add them. I was trying to convince you people to understand they wouldn't be OP. OP would be a house that is basically like installing a whole new world. I'd really like to have a roof mod anyway, is there one? If not may be someone can make it?

I would be up for roofs, and often thought of small houses. And while yes the game can be campy enough. the game is how you wish to play it, either by just surviving to get to the end, or seeing how many days you can go without dying. personally I like to see how long I can survive, being newer. my first attempt I managed to last 46 days. and then only died from exposure. so it wasn't like it was terribly hard.

that being said, the ideal of the game is "Don't Starve" games are not designed to be one way anymore, otherwise they wouldn't be sandbox.

Sandbox type games are designed to fit whoever plays them to what they want to do, so if others want to build and house, doesn't mean you would have to if you didn't. and if they ever did I would expect them to balance it in such a way could be a pain. like having more hostile creatures, rougher elements, if your stationary in a house. that way you still have to fight to survive, but can do what you wish. and for those who don't want houses, they could continue the way they always have. I'm not stating this because I can't survive or beat the game, but because variety is nice.

Regardless, I'm sure there's some modder's out there working on the idea. I've seen a few screens of someone with one. Someone mentioned name up further for mod. I'm curious how it works in game, decay/elements or if its just a sturdy building.

I'm starting to get mad. Seriously, if you knew you was gonna be in a dangerous world for long, you'd build walls, floors. Especially for Wilson, being a scientists he could not possible think of building a roof. This is survival for goodgess sake! You know what I'm not even gonna bother.If you think that to survive you don't need a roof, then fine. Hope you all get stuck in a middle of a nowhere; let's see who's right on building roofs then!!!

Someone; make a mod of the Roofs, please. Doesn't seem like Klei would do this.

My next mod will be adding houses and furniture. You're in luck, pal.

If I were stuck, my first actions would be:

Get a fire

Get a roof made of anything for shelter

Sharpen stick because you never know what could happen

Look for something I know isn't poisonous to eat.

Cry about there being no wifi in the forest.

I'm starting to get mad. Seriously, if you knew you was gonna be in a dangerous world for long, you'd build walls, floors. Especially for Wilson, being a scientists he could not possible think of building a roof. This is survival for goodgess sake! You know what I'm not even gonna bother.If you think that to survive you don't need a roof, then fine. Hope you all get stuck in a middle of a nowhere; let's see who's right on building roofs then!!!

I agree with you, but no need for such anger. Hush.

whether or not you would build a makeshift house in the wilderness irl doesn't really matter when it comes to suggesting things for Don't Starve

there are plenty of things that you can do in the game you would never do in a real life survival situation and vice versa

the most logical thing for shelter that these characters would do has already been implemented - building a tent

building an entire house whether a shack made from old logs barely being held together or a mansion made of stone and gold would be absolutely ridiculous because in a situation where you're trying to escape your first thoughts aren't to try to settle down - even if you've been there for months

that being said I wouldn't really be opposed to having some kind of roof in the game since it would make it easier but that's exactly why it shouldn't be in there

you're not supposed to turtle and that's exactly what having a house or shed would do. people already turtle with just walls and flooring

it would end up making the game ridiculously easy even if you set the recipe to something costly because we all know people use console commands to spawn in things and go into creative mode to build most of their base (I'm one of them)

and no matter what you say on a forum in a real survival situation I KNOW none of you would build a house and plan on just accepting your fate living in the middle of nowhere

the only reason you think that is the logical thing to do for Don't Starve is because it's a videogame and the purpose of it is to survive as long as you can, so YOUR first thoughts are to try and thrive and build an entire city whereas the character's are only thinking of escaping

make mods if you wish but don't deny that this is an unrealistic thing to do

whether or not you would build a makeshift house in the wilderness irl doesn't really matter when it comes to suggesting things for Don't Starve

there are plenty of things that you can do in the game you would never do in a real life survival situation and vice versa

the most logical thing for shelter that these characters would do has already been implemented - building a tent

building an entire house whether a shack made from old logs barely being held together or a mansion made of stone and gold would be absolutely ridiculous because in a situation where you're trying to escape your first thoughts aren't to try to settle down - even if you've been there for months

that being said I wouldn't really be opposed to having some kind of roof in the game since it would make it easier but that's exactly why it shouldn't be in there

you're not supposed to turtle and that's exactly what having a house or shed would do. people already turtle with just walls and flooring

it would end up making the game ridiculously easy even if you set the recipe to something costly because we all know people use console commands to spawn in things and go into creative mode to build most of their base (I'm one of them)

and no matter what you say on a forum in a real survival situation I KNOW none of you would build a house and plan on just accepting your fate living in the middle of nowhere

the only reason you think that is the logical thing to do for Don't Starve is because it's a videogame and the purpose of it is to survive as long as you can, so YOUR first thoughts are to try and thrive and build an entire city whereas the character's are only thinking of escaping

make mods if you wish but don't deny that this is an unrealistic thing to do

I would build a house if I was stuck in some world and had the skills and resources to do it; if life gives you houses, take em'!

I wasn't thinking of a house when I read the title. I was thinking more like an awning.... 4 posts with a few boards running across them. Simple. Nothing fancy. Literally 4 posts with a few boards across the top. 50 percent protection from rain or snow. A big fire would burn it down and let it last a season before it falls down. No stone, maybe some cut grass on top to protect a little better but that's it.

In my view, this is where dlc is really needed more than ever roofs

Stop the rain and be quiet in a house can be perfect

In a world of survival,  how never think a survivor make a house for protect of the rain,etc

Yeah, I know, it looks a bit op, but even pigmen has houses, why we can only have one base?

Yay, I Agree

How do you guys get shelter from the rain while at your campfire?

I don't like to use up my items like my Eyebrella and Umbrella while sitting at my campfire.

So I've taken to planting a few pinecones around my campfire for shelter from the rain.

The problem is, it looks retarded to have a bunch of pine trees sprouting around your campfire, and nowhere else.

Why not have some kind of makeshift shelter that gives the same 50% protection from rain, same as the pine trees do? It wouldn't unbalance the game, and it would make a Hell of a lot more sense.

early game shelter could be made of a rope and two twigs and you simple tie down a tree as cover. You'll loose the materials the following morning.

It's what you would normally do if you are to survive in a forrest, still not a vialbe option for the late/midgame, for those i have no idea, maybe a couple off boards tied together to form some sort of roof. Should no be very big, basicly only to allow the player or maybe the crockpot to be there

Archived