Reign of Giants - April 24 Patch Notes

Bryce

• Developer

Hey guys. We've made some fairly big balance changes this week. We're nearing release, so we decided to put out a patch with these changes to get feedback as soon as possible.

Build 100168:

Changes:

• "Nerfed" cooling hats.
    • Cooling hats now cool you less.
    • Cooling hats now add wetness to your character.
  • Increased the amount of sanity lost due to wetness.
  • Made changes to the following recipes:
    • Coldfire
    • Coldfire Pit
    • Moggles
  • Items now get wet sooner (35 vs. 70)
  • Much improved the usefulness of the Ice Flingomatic.
  • The player now stays frozen for a shorter amount of time.
  • Electric Milk will now only drop from charged Volt Goats.
  • The Morning Star will now charge goats when they are hit.
  • Eating cool or hot foods now adds temperature over time instead of all at once.
  • Moles are now nocturnal
  • Tuned day lengths.
  • Updated the .pot files needed for translations.
  • Added No Day, No Dusk and No Night world customization options.
  • Made some changes to how WX reacts to wetness/ electric damage.
  • Removed the light from the heat rock.
  • Moved electrical doodad to the science tab.
  • Hot/ Cold animations now trigger sooner.
  • Heat rock will not cool below 0 degrees while in an icebox now.
  • Increased the damage on smothering smoldering items.
  • Hot foods now cool off over time.
  • Moggles can no longer be repaired.

Bug Fixes:

• Fix for stewers spitting out rot sometimes.
  • Dragonfly will no longer get stuck if attacked while eating.
  • Added the "animal" tag to some creatures to fix some targeting issues.
  • Moggles no longer allow time travel.
  • Fixed a crash in deciduous tree.
  • Fix for deciduous trees going into the wrong season state.

• Developer

Wait, was this a scheduled update? Because last time I checked, it said that the next update is supposed to be in 6 days.

No, it wasn't. But since we identified some things we wanted to change that were reasonably drastic, we wanted to get those changes out ASAP: the next scheduled update is our full release on Steam. Because of that, we're vetting those changes with the community before we go into a full release. We weren't planning on doing this until we looked at the state of the game after the last scheduled update.

In short: surprise!

No, it wasn't. But since we identified some things we wanted to change that were reasonably drastic, we wanted to get those changes out ASAP: the next scheduled update is our full release on Steam. Because of that, we're vetting those changes with the community before we go into a full release. We weren't planning on doing this until we looked at the state of the game after the last scheduled update.

In short: surprise!

Yay, soup rice update!

Build 100168:

Changes:

• "Nerfed" cooling hats.
    • Cooling hats now cool you less.
    • Cooling hats now add wetness to your character

Feedback: After testing it during summer, I find the new cooling rate decent. It is no longer an instant cooling as it was before. However, as much as I like the new wetness added while wearing it, I am having some serious questions about the actual consequences of that wetness during summer. The first thing I noticed is that wetness goes up rather quickly. I thought this would be problematic, but the wetness is capped at 50. During a hot summer day, while being at 50 wetness, nothing really happens. That is where I think is the problem. I was wearing the ice cube (no other clothes) while being at capped 50 wetness and I didn't lose any sanity, even with the increased amout of sanity loss due to wetness (see next change). Is this intended ?

• Increased the amount of sanity lost due to wetness.
  • Items now get wet sooner (35 vs. 70)

Feedback: This is great, provided it isn't bugged (I am having doubts as being at capped 50 wetness with the ice cube doesn't lower sanity at all). Should the other gear we are wearing (weapon/tool/armor/etc) also get wet ? That might actually help with the sanity loss due to ice cube.

• Made changes to the following recipes:
    • Coldfire
    • Coldfire Pit
    • Moggles

Feedback: I love the recipe changes, especially the coldfire recipe that now only require grass and nitre. That should make summer only games/summer start more viable, as it is much easier to find nitre than gold. As for the moggles recipe, I love the fact that we now require to go underground (like a mole) to gather some glow berry, then go back up and catch some moles to craft them.

• Much improved the usefulness of the Ice Flingomatic.

Feedback: It is still unclear to me what this implies. I have noticed that they shoot a lot of snowball in quick succession whenever I harvest grass or twigs nearby (Does it prevent them from withering after being harvested?). I also noticed that my beeboxes didn't catch fire when a dragonfly attacked me near them so I suspect my ice flingomatic was enough to prevent any damage. Overall, they seem pretty efficient now.

• Eating cool or hot foods now adds temperature over time instead of all at once.

Feedback: I tend to stay far away from moles (since they always abduct my dear friend the garden dwarf) except when I need them to craft a rainhat or moggles. Granting them this nocturnal lifestyle seems like a good idea. Makes it more complex to collect them and it is more realistic.

• Heat rock will not cool below 0 degrees while in an icebox now.

Feedback: This is a long waited change. I never freeze anymore during summer while carrying a cold thermal stone + summer frest. Thanks for this =)

• Increased the damage on smothering smoldering items.

Feedback: I haven't tested it yet, but I always thought that the fire damage taken while extinguising a smoldering item was way too low (barely noticeable). This is a good change.

• Hot foods now cool off over time.

Feedback: Awesome. I think this will make general consensus. I haven't tested the cooling rate, though. Does it cool faster while in an icebox ? Also, seing how a thermal stone can be heated up only from being on the ground during summer, perhaps the food should not cool down during summer unlessit is put in an icebox ? Just a thought.

• Moggles can no longer be repaired.

Feedback: Although I always thought the moggles were way too good, even more so as they could be fully repaired in a single sewing kit use, I think that with the new recipe, this might be a bit too much of a nerf. I think it could make sense if it could be refueled with glowberries, at least, as they are used to craft the moggles. It is much harder to find glow berries and much more risky than crafting a sewing kit. A single glow berry should not refuel it entirely though, maybe the same amount (%) as the firefly refuel miner's hat and lantern ?

See quote for feedback on some of the changes brought by this new update. The ones I haven't mentionned are either because I haven't tested them yet or I have nothing to say about them (i.e. they seem fine).

Edit: With all my bad manners I forgot to tell all of you guys from Klei (who are working day and night for us in order to improve this game) thank you and good work =) RoG is getting better update after update thanks to you !

Saw a mole during daytime

• Tuned day lengths.

Added No Day, No Dusk and No Night world customization options

Long Day bug on spring is still there (see picture attached). Saw the new options, hope they work :-)

The screenshots below were taken only seconds apart, as you can see on Day 2 morning the Long Day setting that worked on Day 1 gets reset to normal spring day.

post-352259-0-12993000-1398367461_thumb.

• Developer

Saw a mole during daytime

• Tuned day lengths.
  • Added No Day, No Dusk and No Night world customization options

Long Day bug on spring is still there (see picture attached). Saw the new options, hope they work :-)

The screenshots below were taken only seconds apart, as you can see on Day 2 morning the Long Day setting that worked on Day 1 gets reset to normal spring day.

Yeah, the day length is still bugged in the current live build. We have a change locally that will come out next week at the latest. 

• New moggles recipe

A glowberry ? You mean I have to kill a depths worm to get the OP moggles ? You meanies!

( j/k, was a good change) ;)

• Catcoons still attack Weber even if he gives them gifts

Awww... Weber is already so lonely! Can you guys make Catcoons like Weber if he gives them stuff ? How can you deny a kitty to a kid ?   ;)

PS: Great news on the day length fix ^^

• New moggles recipe

A glowberry ? You mean I have to kill a depths worm to get the OP moggles ? You meanies!

( j/k, was a good change) ;)

• Catcoons still attack Weber even if he gives them gifts

Awww... Weber is already so lonely! Can you guys make Catcoons like Weber if he gives them stuff ? How can you deny a kitty to a kid ?   ;)

Because he is a monster =)

Can anyone explain to me why:

- chance to anger Decidous Tree is still ridiculously high? It makes no sense considering how rare it is for Treeguard to spawn. Birch Trees as it is now are not really worth the hassle.

- Wildfires are still so common and can affect animals? Lost 2 camps due to BUTTERFLY catching fire and spreading it to everything around.

- Voltgoats don't respawn and have even lower chance to drop milk now?

- There is really no way to overcome Overheating with basic items? Winter is a joke compared to Summer, because you really need some late game items to even survive a single day.

- Trees are pretty useless in terms of protection from rain or overheating? They should do much more, considering that you can't really stand under the Tree AND do something useful, and if you plant them all over your base you will make it burn in no time.

- it's raining in Caves?

I love the DLC, it made me come back to Don' Starve, but some of those things are difficult for the sake of being difficult, not in a funny way.

Lightning goats still don't reproduce (they have all the code for it except turning the periodicspawner on, which beefalo does with mood), which means you may not be able to get electric milk at all, and it's certainly not renewable.

And the eternal night bug is still not fixed, even though all it takes it commenting out one line of code and I already provided repro steps.

Glad to hear the thermal stone can no longer freeze you in summer, and looks like the iceover bug has been fixed.

The changes to hot foods are also pretty cool (heh heh).

I think that either lightning goats must be renewable somehow - why would they change it so it is harder to get electric milk without making the goats renewable? It just doesn't make sense, especially since they responded so well to the feedback about the new food warming system...

The new changes are neat, although I wish summer was less dull after the first one. The "less frozen time" update will help a lot with the winter hounds.

Can anyone explain to me why:

- chance to anger Decidous Tree is still ridiculously high? It makes no sense considering how rare it is for Treeguard to spawn. Birch Trees as it is now are not really worth the hassle.

- Wildfires are still so common and can affect animals? Lost 2 camps due to BUTTERFLY catching fire and spreading it to everything around.

- Voltgoats don't respawn and have even lower chance to drop milk now?

- There is really no way to overcome Overheating with basic items? Winter is a joke compared to Summer, because you really need some late game items to even survive a single day.

- Trees are pretty useless in terms of protection from rain or overheating? They should do much more, considering that you can't really stand under the Tree AND do something useful, and if you plant them all over your base you will make it burn in no time.

- it's raining in Caves?

I love the DLC, it made me come back to Don' Starve, but some of those things are difficult for the sake of being difficult, not in a funny way.

-because bircchtree gaurds are stationary, you can just saunter away

-wildfires can be shut off in world settings. I laughed while reading about the butterflies and the first time I saw it myself.

-This is true, but I am sure they will

-there are some very basic clothing items you can make to stave off the heat, they are just not active cooling like your "late game items"

-trees, meh, is anyone really going to stand under a tree all day because of overheating?

-it seeps through the ground

As for the update, I like everything except I agree that the moggles should be refuelable. But I suppose I did want a reason to pen some moles up :).

Nice work again Devs.

-because bircchtree gaurds are stationary, you can just saunter away

-wildfires can be shut off in world settings. I laughed while reading about the butterflies and the first time I saw it myself.

-This is true, but I am sure they will

-there are some very basic clothing items you can make to stave off the heat, they are just not active cooling like your "late game items"

-trees, meh, is anyone really going to stand under a tree all day because of overheating?

-it seeps through the ground

As for the update, I like everything except I agree that the moggles should be refuelable. But I suppose I did want a reason to pen some moles up :-).

Nice work again Devs.

Hmm, for me trying to turn off the wildfires makes them still appear.

Archived