Varg needs a special drop

TL;DR - The Warg not dropping anything is good, the Giants shouldn't drop the OP items they do, Klei could have made the game harder with RoG, but didn't.

I disagree, and here is why: I want more things to build new playstyles around every update. I want something fun and worthwhile for chasing after. And with the warg not wanting to drop anything, it makes him a waste of time. After I get a winter trunk, what more do I need of the trails? Heck, some people turn the kolaphants into pets and never use the trails again. His low spawn rate from the start of the game almost prevents him from ever appearing unless you willing tried to get him. There might as well be something fun to mess around with, even though useless it most aspects of the game.

The Warg dropping nothing is bad for his sake in the game, and would be beneficial if he had some reason to exist beyond possibly ruining your first kola hunt. And the giants don't drop OP items? The fire chest is almost cosmetic, the eyebrella is like the rain coat, the big fat feather sounds mostly fun to use over practical-ness, and the dragonfly armor is too short lived to be used commonly. The bearger might have some powerful stuff, but existing methods are already better.

I do agree with kirihime.

The Varg should be a problem and something you don't want to encounter, like the Krampus's original purpose was.

Maybe it should, however, drop a purple gem or some bone shards, but not something completely new.

How about killing him gets you the nose to be used that makes kolaphant hunting easier? You are propelled to run into him more this way, because you are encouraged to use the tracks more for the kolaphants. People would try to hunt him a little, but there would be way more incidents where people weren't hoping for him. It almost becomes a gambling game of its own, but has a hard to get consulation prize.

This thing that SethR said a while back makes it even odder that it drops nothing special:

"The warg will be coming soon (but not this update)! If your hunt is failing, it is not because the warg is not added yet: that bug has been fixed. As for what the warg is and what it drops, you'll just have to wait and see."

How about killing him gets you the nose to be used that makes kolaphant hunting easier? You are propelled to run into him more this way, because you are encouraged to use the tracks more for the kolaphants. People would try to hunt him a little, but there would be way more incidents where people weren't hoping for him. It almost becomes a gambling game of its own, but has a hard to get consulation prize.

the nose should totally have some kind of effect on koalefant hunting, it's the most obvious thing seeing how koalefants and vargs are for better or worse colluding together. it could spawn a suspicious dirt pile at your feet. because the nose knows where the koalefant is. it would not affect the chance to get another varg at the end of the trail!?!? and of course the nose would rot in a few days, obviously.

I am with people that want an item for hound control\summon on this one. I mean do we even need an item, that makes Koalefant hunt even easier then its alrteady is? I mean, cmon, you can track and kill him even without armor and ranged weapons just corner him, aggro and kite... As for suspicious tracks - I get them so often, I usually don't bother going after them, once I have spider farm and berries. And besides when Varg starts spawning instead of koalefant most players already have all winter gear and are using meat balls for food. On the other hand hounds are a problem throughout the whole game, gradually causing more concern (especially fire ones). I think since warg can spawn hounds the way spider queen spawns spiders - add a rising chance for varg to hound waves and a hat or a Varg Fang drop - that upon use makes hounds follow you for a limited time, unless another varg is around (since it has more priority then player with an item).

maybe it doesnt need to be a unique drop even, but i do feel like there should be some reward for taking the time to kill it. Red hounds drop red gems, blue hounds drop blue gems, maybe the varg could drop 1 of each, or a purple gem. Though i prefer the idea of a vargs tooth, which perhaps could build into a varg tooth trap.

This thing that SethR said a while back makes it even odder that it drops nothing special:

"The warg will be coming soon (but not this update)! If your hunt is failing, it is not because the warg is not added yet: that bug has been fixed. As for what the warg is and what it drops, you'll just have to wait and see."

Could you provide the link to that quote?

I hate to be that guy, but I don't think there needs to be a reward for everything we do. The Varg is there to punish the player from constantly hunting Koalephant, which are a really good source of food and allow to make really good winter items (especially the winter Koalephant). Now, I never follow a track without asking myself ''Am I prepared to face a Varg at the end of that trail?'', where before it was ''Nice, free food''.

It's a survival game, and in that regard, surviving the Varg encounter should be our reward. There is still some loot: some monster meat, hound teeth, and the occasional red or blue gems. In my opinion, it's perfect like that. As was mentionned previously, the Varg is not something we set to hunt, but we rather end up encountering him while tracking a Koalephant and usually, we are supposed to be mad about it because that is not what we wanted to see. The Varg needs to be feared and respected, not hunted for his loot.

Now, I never follow a track without asking myself ''Am I prepared to face a Varg at the end of that trail?''

It's a survival game, and in that regard, surviving the Varg encounter should be our reward (...) As was mentionned previously, the Varg is not something you set to hunt, you end up encountering him while tracking a Koalephant and usually, you are supposed to be mad about it because that is not what you wanted to see. The Varg needs to be feared and respected, not hunted for his loot.

I want to agree with you, I really do. The only thing is, there is a problem. You look at that trail and you ask yourself, am I prepared to face a Varg at the end of that trail? If the answer is no then you don't go after it. So you are totally bypassing the Varg mechanic until you're ready for it. If the answer is yes the only danger is a misclick, because you prepared for it, and it is you who is triggering the possible encounter. Surviving something you prepare for and that you personally trigger is not survival. Survival is, BOOM! Surpraiiiiis. Warg. Now survive if you can. Surviving THAT would be a reward. How can you fear and respect something that can't even come into your world unless you want it to?

I want to agree with you, I really do. The only thing is, there is a problem. You look at that trail and you ask yourself, am I prepared to face a Varg at the end of that trail? If the answer is no then you don't go after it. So you are totally bypassing the Varg mechanic until you're ready for it. If the answer is yes the only danger is a misclick, because you prepared for it, and it is you who is triggering the possible encounter. Surviving something you prepare for and that you personally trigger is not survival. Survival is, BOOM! Surpraiiiiis. Warg. Now survive if you can. Surviving THAT would be a reward. How can you fear and respect something that can't even come into your world unless you want it to?

In all honesty, it only takes a spear, a log suit and a football helmet to defeat a Varg. Usually, you will get these items quite early game. If you feel fancy, you can bring an ice staff to freeze the Varg while you kill the hounds.

That being said, I estimate the risks before actually tracking. If it is early game, I know there is about 5-10% chances to get a Varg so even if I am not ready, I will track anyway. I know that If I reach day 100, there is roughly 1 track out of 3 that will lead to a Varg. That is why I will track as soon as possible and I will also try to find the materials to make a Puffy Vest as early as possible. Another reason to be tracking early game is that the 8 meat + trunk given by a Koalephant are significantly more helpful than late game where most of the time food won't be an issue anymore.

Let us consider this: When do we mostly need to track a Koalephant ? Early game. When is the risk to encounter the Varg at its lowest ? Early game. When are we most likely to be unprepared to fight the Varg ? Early game. Thus, unless we are ready to cross the Koalephant, its 8x meat, its trunk, and the puffy vest out of your list, then we will have to take the risk one day or another. The sooner we take that risk, the less chance we have to face the Varg, but in that occasional 5-10% of the time, we will be facing a Varg early and that is enough to fear and respect him.

I will tell you this, however, I do avoid tracking late game (and thus avoid facing the Varg), but it is only because I don't need to track the Koalephant anymore, for any of the reasons mentionned above. I will go tracking occasionnaly if I get bored.

Archived