There's really no incentive to want to play through Summer

I agree with the fact that in that regard, they are not even seasons. However, I feel that the table presented as it is is biased (in favor of winter), as opposed to be fair with both winter and summer. The reason for that is that some items mentionned are not even incentive to play through a season, don't add actual ''content'', or are avoidable.

Yeah it was a bit bias I'll admit, but don't get the impression I hate summer. I enjoy the challenge, but once your fully comfortable with it. There is no longer much depth.

I agree with the fact that in that regard, they are not even seasons. However, I feel that the table presented as it is is biased (in favor of winter), as opposed to be fair with both winter and summer. The reason for that is that some items mentionned are not even incentive to play through a season, don't add actual ''content'', or are avoidable.

Yeah, I definitely want to try and keep this thread constructive and unbiased as possible. I will update the OP once a new updated chart is made.

I'll make some amendments if you'd like, however on some of your points I must say:

1) I admit that was perhaps a bit much but once you've got one eye-brella and maximum houndicus shooticus' you can get, then the eyeballs do come in useful for an on-demand, unspoilable food.

2) Ice Burgs grow in the winter and also pengulls create them.

3) I was referring to the shivering your character does, I'll change that a bit.

4) S'pose :-)

5) I meant the muffled sound, but yes you've just reminded me of the music changes (I have music turned off usually because I listen to the radio whilst I play usually)

6) Fair point

7) I wanted to separate base fires and wild-fires away from your base of things such as reeds as you cannot set up ice fling-o-matics across the entire map. But I'll make it more clear.

8) I adjust that :-)

9) Whoops I meant endothermic fires - that one gold is a lot compared to normal fires which only cost logs and grass.

10) Yeah maybe that's a bit unfair of me to say, matter of preference.

I'll upload a adjusted table in a moment :-).

We shall reach a consensus if we keep going =D

1) In that case, there should not be a mention of the eyeball, but rather of the fact that scales will always be useful (you can always use more ''bigger fireproof chests'' or ''scalemail''. They don't become obsolete, as opposed to eyeball, which is in favor of Dragonfly! =)

2) I agree they grow and become big during winter, but they are not ''winter exclusives'' =\

9) Endothermic fires don't require gold anymore, only 2 nitre and 3 grass. Nitre replaces logs, and it is much easier to find nitre from a random rock than gold ! Although I admit it's much less easy to gather than logs! I never make them anyway =\

Cheers =)

We shall reach a consensus if we keep going =D

1) In that case, there should not be a mention of the eyeball, but rather of the fact that scales will always be useful (you can always use more ''bigger fireproof chests'' or ''scalemail''. They don't become obsolete, as opposed to eyeball, which is in favor of Dragonfly! =)

2) I agree they grow and become big during winter, but they are not ''winter exclusives'' =\

9) Endothermic fire don't require gold anymore, only 2 nitre and 3 grass. Nitre replaces logs, and it is much easier to find nitre from a random rock than gold !

Cheers =)

1) Touché

2) I'll change "Pengulls" to: "Pengulls + more ice burgs"

9) My mistake

*shakes hand*

We've got a deal!

That took much longer than expected, however strangely satisfying... Anyways here's the amendments, perhaps not quite as bias in the "trade-off" section, although In my defense I am trying to make an impact that summer is clearly lacking in comparison to winter, there is no question there. 

So what's your opinion on this layout? I imagine you may say that "wilting" and "wilted crops must recover" should be classed together but I'd argue that the fact that wilted crops will not recover until potentially way into autumn deserves it's own bullet point surely.

8cf7025f8317dbd1e60f764b1c63e20e.png

That took much longer than expected, however strangely satisfying... Anyways here's the amendments, perhaps not quite as bias in the "trade-off" section, although In my defense I am trying to make an impact that summer is clearly lacking in comparison to winter, there is no question there. 

So what's your opinion on this layout? I imagine you may say that "wilting" and "wilted crops must recover" should be classed together but I'd argue that the fact that wilted crops will not recover until potentially way into autumn deserves it's own bullet point surely.

8cf7025f8317dbd1e60f764b1c63e20e.png

I think it's better than the original table! =) The trade-offs are ok: winter has ~4 trade-offs and so does summer (I count wild fires and flingomatics as the same, since one is the counter to the other).

I think where summer is lacking (as compared to winter) and is shown in your table is clearly in the department of ''exclusives'' mobs/items. Winter has the following that summer doesn't have to compensate:

-MacTusk (walking cane and tamoshanter),

-Exclusive bird and koalephant color that each allow to craft something that from ressources obtainable only during winter

-Blue hounds (although we can get blue gems elsewhere during any seasons (graves, earthquakes, ruins, etc)

-Pengulls (another unique mob)

-Reduced food spoilage rate

I think I read somewhere that food dried faster during summer, perhaps it should be added to summer advantages (if I am right, needs to be verified)? It's in the same line as the food spoilage rate reduced during winter.

Edit: Also, I think it should be more clear why Dragonfly is better than Deerclops. Perhaps just adding a line that says that the scales never become obsolete (i.e. we can always craft useful items with it, unlike the eyeball). Presented as it is, it still seems like the Deerclops has an advantage over the Dragonfly where it is the other way around. I don't want to be annoying, so if I am, please do tell me =D

I think you can use the word better loosely. Since the dragonfly is 100 times harder to kill and more dangerous to fight. His items are also only useful for summer. While the Deerclops is good for summer and spring.

I think it's better than the original table! =) The trade-offs are ok: winter has ~4 trade-offs and so does summer (I count wild fires and flingomatics as the same, since one is the counter to the other).

I think where summer is lacking (as compared to winter) and is shown in your table is clearly in the department of ''exclusives'' mobs/items. Winter has the following that summer doesn't have to compensate:

-Exclusive bird and koalephant color that each allow to craft something that from ressources obtainable only during winter

-Blue hounds (although we can get blue gems elsewhere during any seasons (graves, earthquakes, ruins, etc)

I think I read somewhere that food dried faster during summer, perhaps it should be added to summer advantages (if I am right, needs to be verified)? It's in the same line as the food spoilage rate reduced during winter.

Edit: Also, I think it should be more clear why Dragonfly is better than Deerclops. Perhaps just adding a line that says that the scales never become obsolete (i.e. we can always craft useful items with it, unlike the eyeball). Presented as it is, it still seems like the Deerclops has an advantage over the Dragonfly where it is the other way around. I don't want to be annoying, so if I am, please do tell me =D

Sorry for the late reply. But by no means! I'm all for integrity. 

For me, wild-fires are not so much "wildly occurring fires " but rather "fires...in the wild". For instance, to keep your base safe you can use ice fling-o-matics. But when your buffalo start dying by catching fire, or when entire forests burn down, or one-by-one nonrenewable reed "tufts" burn down, I feel that's a different issue. IMO a broken mechanic (the reeds mainly).

I can't confirm whether food dries quicker in the summer, although it makes sense, and definitely should be a feature if it's not already!

As for mentioning and explaining how firefly loot is more useful than deerclops loot, well... I haven't gone into detail about any other features. And come now, I'm all for no bias, but you very seem determined to prove summer isn't all that bad, when in reality it is, it needs some more content to get it on par with it's clearly more developed winter counter-part.

Next you'll be saying summer music is superior to winter music! ;)

I think you can use the word better loosely. Since the dragonfly is 100 times harder to kill and more dangerous to fight. His items are also only useful for summer. While the Deerclops is good for summer and spring.

Yeah, good point, I should remove that add-on, seems silly I put it in there now so carelessly... Sorry Neo, if I were to keep it there it fair it does need a description. But I think I'll take it out. Perhaps it's worth adding some extra points at the bottom? I don't want to over-complicate the thread however.

The idea behind Dragonfly loot being ''better'' than Deerclops loot comes from the fact that it never becomes obsolete. What I mean by this is that you can always use the scales it drops to either make larger (and fireproof) chests OR replace any scalemail that you actually end up breaking due to lots of fighting. On the opposite, once you have 1 eyebrella and made all the Houndius Shootius you can make in your world (since Guardian's horn are limited), then any Eyeball you'll get beyond that is totally useless. Also, fireproof chest is good 3 seasons out of 4, as there are fire hounds during spring and autumn as well.

Next you'll be saying summer music is superior to winter music! ;)

Never! ;)

In my previous post, I do list the main advantages that winter has over summer (which either brings new content in the form of mobs or items, or in the form of technical advantage (food spoilage time)). Don't worry, winter is and probably will always be my favorite season! =) It's so relaxing!

Edit: I agree that we should keep it simple. That's mainly why I was trying to regroup things that I thought would go well together hehe! But you are free to organize stuff as you please, after all it is your classification =)

I think you are forgetting that they eyeball makes a umbrella that protects against rain completely and dries you and reduces the heat you take in summer. It can also be repaired with a kit. The fireproof chest is mainly meant to not burn so its one less structure you have to worry about during summer. Yea it holds like 4 or something more slots but just make more chests not that much of a item. The armor also is something most people would save for the dragonfly. Its valuable enough you wouldn't use on a regular basis.

The idea behind Dragonfly loot being ''better'' than Deerclops loot comes from the fact that it never becomes obsolete. What I mean by this is that you can always use the scales it drops to either make larger (and fireproof) chests OR replace any scalemail that you actually end up breaking due to lots of fighting. On the opposite, once you have 1 eyebrella and made all the Houndius Shootius you can make in your world (since Guardian's horn are limited), then any Eyeball you'll get beyond that is totally useless. Also, fireproof chest is good 3 seasons out of 4, as there are fire hounds during spring and autumn as well.

Never! ;)

In my previous post, I do list the main advantages that winter has over summer (which either brings new content in the form of mobs or items, or in the form of technical advantage (food spoilage time)). Don't worry, winter is and probably will always be my favorite season! =) It's so relaxing!

Edit: I agree that we should keep it simple. That's mainly why I was trying to regroup things that I thought would go well together hehe! But you are free to organize stuff as you please, after all it is your classification =)

You can actually make 4 Houndius Shootius' because each cave has one Ancient Guardian and there is 4 different caves on each default map :).

And winter's my favorite season also! Back in the day I used to dread winter, summers now taken it's place..

Right anyways I think I'm going to upload one more copy of the table (if that's okay OP). Any last minute suggestions?

You can actually make 4 Houndius Shootius' because each cave has one Ancient Guardian and there is 4 different caves on each default map :-).

And winter's my favorite season also! Back in the day I used to dread winter, summers now taken it's place..

Right anyways I think I'm going to upload one more copy of the table (if that's okay OP). Any last minute suggestions?

Nope. I think the main differences between winter and summer should be clear with your next modifications. Thanks for all the hard work ! =)

Nope. I think the main differences between winter and summer should be clear with your next modifications. Thanks for all the hard work ! =)

Right I've:

- Removed the dragonfly note.

- Corrected some grammar.

- REMOVED muffled audio as a fun exclusive.

(Apparently some people hate this effect also winter has a similar effect I didn't mention.)

- Split "Snow & Snow Themed Landscape" into two.

("Snow", as in snow falling from the sky, not sure if that was thoroughly stressed before.)

Maybe this isn't still particularly fair, maybe it's still a bit biased... but everyone's opinion is going to differ on something like this. However I think I've managed to derive a pretty good average with the help of yourself, so thanks :).

79dc4d88ed2ca254400708dc0159a720.png

Right I've:

- Removed the dragonfly note.

- Corrected some grammar.

- REMOVED muffled audio as a fun exclusive.

(Apparently some people hate this effect also winter has a similar effect I didn't mention.)

- Split "Snow & Snow Themed Landscape" into two.

("Snow", as in snow falling from the sky, not sure if that was thoroughly stressed before.)

Maybe this isn't still particularly fair, maybe it's still a bit biased... but everyone's opinion is going to differ on something like this. However I think I've managed to derive a pretty good average with the help of yourself, so thanks :-).

79dc4d88ed2ca254400708dc0159a720.png

You should add that food spoils slower in winter

Archived