There's really no incentive to want to play through Summer

It seems kind of stupid that you can literally overheat on an island whilst standing an inch from the ocean. Pengulls can swim in it, why can't the player, even on a limited basis? Maybe some sort of flotation device could be crafted from a buzzard or pengull drop (since they don't have any unique loot atm) that allowed you to take a dip for half of a long summer day. It could give you a buff making you overheat half as much for 24 hours. There could be a chance if you swim of spawning some sort of ocean monster; imagine Bigfoot's son.

This is BRILLIANT!

Klei? Are you seeing this? So far the Ocean has but been a functionless skybox to encase the world. Summer is about going to the beach, taking dips in the water to cool yourself.

Why didn't anyone else think of this? A reason to build yourself a "Summer Residence" near the ocean. You can keep the other mechanics for Summer, so inland bases are possible, but the smart guy will move out to the ocean in the heat wave!

This is BRILLIANT!

Klei? Are you seeing this? So far the Ocean has but been a functionless skybox to encase the world. Summer is about going to the beach, taking dips in the water to cool yourself.

Why didn't anyone else think of this? A reason to build yourself a "Summer Residence" near the ocean. You can keep the other mechanics for Summer, so inland bases are possible, but the smart guy will move out to the ocean in the heat wave!

No. The sea is not a safe place: if you jump in, you won't come back.

There's no point on any map that's so far from the ocean as to make a 'beachfront' house necessary.   And I'm pretty sure allowing the player to interact with the ocean would bring up more bugs and problems than it's worth.  If they want you to take a dip, let it be in a frog pond.

This is the case with Winter too and always has been. Whilst I agree, you can't single out Summer under this reasoning. To be honest, if the tech required for Endo fires and Gears for flings/icehat, weren't so hard to procure, Summer would be identical to Winter (minus smoldering).

Winter still has some unique properties though, such as the Mactusk hunting party, pengulls, etc. Summer has nothing like this other than overheating and a boss. It's not purely annoyance like summer is.

@swimming suggestion: Wouldn't it make more sense for the character to take a quick dip in a pond? I mean yeah the ocean's there and I'm sure it's bloody cold even on the hottest day, but with how the world looks, you'd probably have to create a ladder or something just to get in and out of it. 

Ponds are already on your level and do come with their own risks. 

Armor that lights mobs that hit you on fire is too amusing to pass up.

Summer is the best time to catch bees.

If you need charcoal, forest fires aren't a problem.

Summer is alright for getting wool and poop from beefalo. Yeah, the night is shorter, but it's long enough. Wool and poop collecting can be a more efficient way to get fuel than chopping wood. (plus, no wool guardians!)

Someone suggested lakes that dry up in Summer. Drying up the ponds might make more sense. A dry pond bottom could be the den of a new loot-dropping neutral mob (not my idea). 

It would be really nice to have beach areas. Crabs to eat or be eaten by, swimming to cool off (you should have to unload your inventory first). Beach umbrellas to build your own shady areas. I would love to see a Don't Starve Insanity version of the Geoduck. Those things are weird enough in reality.

Armor that lights mobs that hit you on fire is too amusing to pass up.

Summer is the best time to catch bees.

If you need charcoal, forest fires aren't a problem.

Summer is alright for getting wool and poop from beefalo. Yeah, the night is shorter, but it's long enough. Wool and poop collecting can be a more efficient way to get fuel than chopping wood. (plus, no wool guardians!)

there's nothing new about these things, and you can do them in other seasons(specially autumn)

Regardless of what it might need, summer is still a game experience I really enjoy. I would never want summer to considered a flaw in the DLC, but it could use a little more sprinkles. I think most others could agree with me, right guys?

Regardless of what it might need, summer is still a game experience I really enjoy. I would never want summer to considered a flaw in the DLC, but it could use a little more sprinkles. I think most others could agree with me, right guys?

Nope sorry I cant, even more micromanaging then winter and none of the rewards just make it a pain, Ive set my seasons to short just so summer will get over sooner.

Nope sorry I cant, even more micromanaging then winter and none of the rewards just make it a pain, Ive set my seasons to short just so summer will get over sooner.

By micromanaging you mean the smoldering stuff?

Are you refusing to use the ice hat, endo-pits, rot, or any other summer protection items?

No? Im saying the fact that I have to use those things to manage my temperature (just like winter woww) on top of trying to put everything out is annoying because theres no reward for it, its just damage control- and to quote the thread title; No incentive. Its more fun not to put summer in your season cycle. Because other then the Dragonfly, there are no summer specific mobs or items. And if you just leave summer out in the settings, theres no reason to even want the drops from the boss because they're only useful for summer! I dont need fireproof chests if I dont have to worry about random fires! Fire immunity armor? Thats just Willows perk!

Summer in DS is interesting in concept but just boring in gameplay to me because it lacks content.

There.

there's nothing new about these things, and you can do them in other seasons(specially autumn)

The original post said there was no point to surviving summer, and people have claimed that there is no loot/items to get, 

Yeah, you CAN do those things in other seasons, but you should be trying to do everything at the BEST time, all things considered. You can mine, log, farm, get silk, hunt, etc all  year round: it would be bad game design to make the choices of when to do each for the player.

The original post said there was no point to surviving summer, and people have claimed that there is no loot/items to get, 

Yeah, you CAN do those things in other seasons, but you should be trying to do everything at the BEST time, all things considered. You can mine, log, farm, get silk, hunt, etc all  year round: it would be bad game design to make the choices of when to do each for the player.

winter is the best for wool, anytime is good for manure, it's much more safe to catch bees in autumn as you can use the beekeper's hat instead of the ice cube, forest fires are just 2 twigs and 2 grass away(which is not easy to get in summer, and is better to do that on winter, for extra heat) and an armour that lights enemies on fire is just dangerous, as you can burn the loot AND your base

9dbc2e976d19a0ce0979918245bcc261.png

I made this, perhaps add it to the threads description?

I see you made quite a list! I don't personally agree with all the points stated in your table, though. Here are the modifications I would make to be fair:

1) remove un-spoilable eyeball from the fun exclusives- winter (who is going to keep it for eating purposes?) or just add non-spoilable scales to the dragon fly as well.

2) Icebergs are present during spring and autumn, so not winter exclusive (they are mostly essential for a spring start)

3) Freezing animation ? Ok if you want to leave it there, but in this case add ''overheating animation'' to the summer exclusives! =)

4) snow and landscape retex during winter are kinda going together!

5) Add ''nothing grows (grass/twigs/reeds/farms/berry bushes/etc'' to winter trade offs, it's not just food, it's many ressources!

5.5) If you add audio change in summer, add it to winter as well ! I personally prefer winter music but that is really just a matter of opinion xD

6) Remove food is sparse form summer, it's not sparse, it's plenty. Everything grows (even if they wither), you have honey, you can fish, etc.

7) Base fire protection needed AND wild fires also go together in my opinion

8) I never fuel flingomatics with logs, I mostly use wool as it is really easy to gather in large quantity throughout the year, especially with beefalos breeding all spring long. Beefalo hat helps in that regard. I'd say this would also go with wild fire, as there would be no need to refuel our ''base fire defense'' if there were no ''wild fires''

9) Expensive endothermic fire pits? Considering only 1 is needed, it's not really expensive.

10) Slowed ice cube, perhaps, but there are other ways to resist overheating : thermal stone + summer frest. You can go through summer with these items without ever getting slowed down. As this is a matter of choice, I would remove it from the list!

I am also worried about some points that don't influence the gaming experience in regards of ''incentive to play the season'', such as re textures (rabbits, trees, landscape), music, or freezing/overheating animations. I would probably not include them in the list =\ (the actual freezing /overheating mechanics are ok).

I'm curious to see the same table with these changes! If you @oCrapaCreeper want to do them, that is =) Feel free to comment on anything I have just said ^^

I see you made quite a list! I don't personally agree with all the points stated in your table, though. Here are the modifications I would make to be fair:

1) remove un-spoilable eyeball from the fun exclusives- winter (who is going to keep it for eating purposes?) or just add non-spoilable scales to the dragon fly as well.

2) Icebergs are present during spring and autumn, so not winter exclusive (they are mostly essential for a spring start)

3) Freezing animation ? Ok if you want to leave it there, but in this case add ''overheating animation'' to the summer exclusives! =)

5) Add ''nothing grows (grass/twigs/reeds/farms/berry bushes/etc'' to winter trade offs, it's not just food, it's many ressources!

5.5) If you add audio change in summer, add it to winter as well ! I personally prefer winter music but that is really just a matter of opinion xD

6) Remove food is sparse form summer, it's not sparse, it's plenty. Everything grows (even if they wither), you have honey, you can fish, etc.

7) base fire protection needed AND wild fires also go together in my opinion

8) I never fuel flingomatics with logs, I mostly use wool as it is really easy to gather in large quantity throughout the year, especially with beefalos breeding all srping long. Beefalo hat helps in that regard. I'd say this would also go with wild fire, as there would be no need to refuel our ''base fire defense'' if there were no ''wild fires''

9) expensive endothermic fire pits? Considering only 1 is needed, it's not really expansive.

10) slowed ice cube, perhaps, but there are other ways to resist overheating : thermal stone + summer frest. You can go through summer with these items without ever getting slowed down. As this is a matter of choice, I would remove it from the list!

I'm curious to see the same table with these changes! If you want to do them, that is =) Feel free to comment on anything I have just said ^^

I am also worried about some points that don't influence the gaming experience in regards of ''incentive to play the season'', such as re textures, music, or freezing/overheating animations. I would probably not include them in the list =\

For something like this, we're trying to look at both seasons and break them down into small pieces of what is actually there. There are a few small things that could be change, but the chart still helps show that Summer lacks "Fun exclusives" that give an incentive to play the season, and is almost pure difficulty and annoyance.

For something like this, we're trying to look at both seasons and break them down into small pieces of what is actually there. There are a few small things that could be change, but the chart still helps show that Summer lacks "Fun exclusives" that give an incentive to play the season, and is almost pure difficulty and annoyance.

I agree with the fact that in that regard, they are not even seasons. However, I feel that the table presented as it is is biased (in favor of winter), as opposed to be fair with both winter and summer. The reason for that is that some items mentionned are not even incentive to play through a season, don't add actual ''content'', or are avoidable.

I see you made quite a list! I don't personally agree with all the points stated in your table, though. Here are the modifications I would make:

7) base fire protection needed AND wild fires also go together in my opinion

8) I never fuel flingomatics with logs, I mostly use wool as it is really easy to gather in large quantity throughout the year, especially with beefalos breeding all srping long. Beefalo hat helps in that regard. I'd say this would also go with wild fire, as there would be no need to refuel our ''base fire defense'' if there were no ''wild fires''

9) expensive endothermic fire pits? Considering only 1 is needed, it's not really expansive.

10) slowed ice cube, perhaps, but there are other ways to resist overheating : thermal stone + summer frest. You can go through summer with these items without ever getting slowed down. As this is a matter of choice, I would remove it from the list!

I'm curious to see the same table with these changes! If you want to do them, that is =) Feel free to comment on anything I have just said ^^

I'll make some amendments if you'd like, however on some of your points I must say:

1) I admit that was perhaps a bit much but once you've got one eye-brella and maximum houndicus shooticus' you can get, then the eyeballs do come in useful for an on-demand, unspoilable food.

2) Ice Burgs grow in the winter and also pengulls create them.

3) I was referring to the shivering your character does, I'll change that a bit.

4) S'pose :)

5) I meant the muffled sound, but yes you've just reminded me of the music changes (I have music turned off usually because I listen to the radio whilst I play usually)

6) Fair point

7) I wanted to separate base fires and wild-fires away from your base of things such as reeds as you cannot set up ice fling-o-matics across the entire map. But I'll make it more clear.

8) I adjust that :)

9) Whoops I meant endothermic fires - that one gold is a lot compared to normal fires which only cost logs and grass.

10) Yeah maybe that's a bit unfair of me to say, matter of preference.

I'll upload a adjusted table in a moment :).

Archived