Sign in to follow this  
lonelyduck

Give us a reason to explore

lonelyduck    10

There really isn't a reason to explore very much, when you find a beefalo herd and some stone you can just camp there forever. There should be a really great reward for doing something that requires a lot of exploring.

Like:

Better light source that can be obtained by very rare thing(s) that are only spawned once in each world.

(Infinite fire? large light radius?)

Better weapons, armor, backpack or farming/cooking equipment made from rare materials

(Unbreakable/fixable/efficient)

Or maybe you just get research points for revealing the map?

Well, since the game is lacking more content, it's lacking reasons for exploration. Things will come in due time. Let's not forget this is only Beta :)

Your suggestions seem to be a bit overpowered, the game is pretty easy already, I don't feel like we need infinite X or better stuff or more rewards. Especially not from something as simple as "exploring". Just my two cents.

mobius187    30
There really isn't a reason to explore very much, when you find a beefalo herd and some stone you can just camp there forever. There should be a really great reward for doing something that requires a lot of exploring.

as more new content is added to the game there will be more to explore. Feel free to make suggestions and who knows what the Devs will eventually include in the game? :)

Better light source that can be obtained by very rare thing(s) that are only spawned once in each world.

(Infinite fire? large light radius?)

In general unlimited or infinite light sources are unpopular ideas because, IMHO, the game is about fighting starvation and the darkness. If you provide a source of light that can never diminish then you've conquored one of the two key risks currently in the game.

Of course in another thread I suggested that there be locations in the game world where a player could unlock unqiue inventions, similar to how you can currently unlock inventions by standing near a science/alchemy machine. These inventions would each require a resource not common to the map, such as the old wires found only when digging-up graves. From here I didn't make any real suggestions as to "what" could be crafted, but my thought was it would either be an item of great use, with limited durability. Or an item of low importance, but unlimited use... which brings me to my point. I suggested a light source that was unlimited. Now before you get confused, the light source I suggested was meant only to keep it so the Grue wouldn't eat you at night, much like how Willow lights small fires at night, and it would only illuminate a small area immediately around you... think of it like generating light equivilent to the fireflies. You would still be blinded by the darkness all around you, so in simple terms even a torch would be a lot better in terms of illuminating the area.

Better weapons, armor, backpack or farming/cooking equipment made from rare materials (Unbreakable/fixable/efficient)

Maybe you could make some suggestions...? As for fixable, I do support the idea of allowing players to repair damaged items.

Or maybe you just get research points for revealing the map?

No worries, research points will be removed in January and replaced with a new system.

Kalishikov    12

Of course in another thread I suggested that there be locations in the game world where a player could unlock unqiue inventions, similar to how you can currently unlock inventions by standing near a science/alchemy machine. These inventions would each require a resource not common to the map, such as the old wires found only when digging-up graves. From here I didn't make any real suggestions as to "what" could be crafted, but my thought was it would either be an item of great use, with limited durability. Or an item of low importance, but unlimited use... which brings me to my point. I suggested a light source that was unlimited. Now before you get confused, the light source I suggested was meant only to keep it so the Grue wouldn't eat you at night, much like how Willow lights small fires at night, and it would only illuminate a small area immediately around you... think of it like generating light equivilent to the fireflies. You would still be blinded by the darkness all around you, so in simple terms even a torch would be a lot better in terms of illuminating the area.

Actually I think that first point is by far the best idea to promote exploration instead of turtling! Having prototypes for new items (assuming the replacement for research is a prototype-style unlock system) be done at specific locations. Specific items from graves is a great example, as graves often have a lot of spiders around and are not fantastic places to build bases. Perhaps some items or locales in swamps, or drops from tentacles could be used. This could free up the science machine to be used for unlocking more sciencey type inventions.

Also would like to give my support to the idea of a permanent light source that gives off as much light as a firefly. Perhaps the pumpkin lantern could be used for this purpose? I actually only wanted to make them for decoration but when i discovered they are limited use never bothered to use them after that.

I would think that while it might in theory make you immune to being caught in darkness, the more content that's added the more nasty creatures will be around especially at night, so only being able to see by the light of a firefly could be extremely dangerous by the time we get to release :wink:

**edit -- thanks for the plug for my ideas thread Siriusface :D

Laura    11

I think the research points idea discourage you from exploring because you want your machines near. I suggested in my other post here to change the whole research mechanic idea.

If you make some rare blue prints / recipes guarded by some hostile creatures scattered around the world. Or stored in specific places or simply just waiting somewhere for you to collect... this would encourage exploration. You would want to find that elusive yeti who has the technology to create Wool Coats to survive winter (just a random example). This way you DO want to explore to seek out new technologies instead of collecting junk to throw at the machine.

The "feed machine to research" mechanic is wacky to be honest. It would be way cooler if you can learn some of the technologies by discovering specific places, fighting specific rare creatures or taking an item guarded by one or simply just exploring.

mobius187    30
Actually I think that first point is by far the best idea to promote exploration instead of turtling!

Yes, as I've said elsewhere, "turtling" isn't the problem, it's a symptom. The problem is the Devs have so far only developed the initial stage of the game and still need to create the mid-tier and end game content. Once they accomplish this players will have something to strive towards and that will force them to leave their camps and explore farther than ever before... and eventually abandon their camp to travel to new locations (i.e. via one-way portal).

Having prototypes for new items (assuming the replacement for research is a prototype-style unlock system) be done at specific locations. Specific items from graves is a great example, as graves often have a lot of spiders around and are not fantastic places to build bases. Perhaps some items or locales in swamps, or drops from tentacles could be used. This could free up the science machine to be used for unlocking more sciencey type inventions.

I found it interesting that you started off knowing about a handful of basic inventions, but needed the science machine to unlock them. Then you eventually crafted the alchemy machine and learned there were even more inventions to research. As for me, I unlocked the alchemy machine as Soon as I could... which makes me think the Devs should place a few more restrictions on how its constructed to get players to unlock other inventions first before moving on to it.

That being said, the idea of having locations the player needs to discover on the map that would unlock (figuratively speaking, as the player would still need to research them) new inventions is an interesting idea, IMHO. And since the game is influenced in ways by H.P. Lovecraft's "Cthulian Mythos" horror it makes sense to have these ruins be of alien/horrorific origins. In Lovecrafts works he blended horrorific creatures with alien terrors and that sometimes included aspects of science (i.e. math/geometry/ect). A common theme was someone learning unspeakable truths about the universe that would forever change them and strip away their naive sense of security/sanity.

So what better way to introduce odd and unqiue inventions than having players uncover these "truths" and discern some hidden meaning that they can use i their research... at a small cost in sanity (when the Sanity meter is added).

The origins of the ruins could be alien, maybe create by the Fungi from Yuggoth in centuries past when they visited the Earth in search of mineral resources, or maybe the island was once submerged and upon rising carried with it ruins structures built by the aquatic horrors known as the Deep Ones, or maybe the ruins once belonged to the ancient and "extinct" race like the Elder Things. Of course there are also ancient human civilizations that could be connected to the ruins, such as Atlantis, MU, and/or Lemuria. All appeared in Lovecraft's works.

Also would like to give my support to the idea of a permanent light source that gives off as much light as a firefly. Perhaps the pumpkin lantern could be used for this purpose? I actually only wanted to make them for decoration but when i discovered they are limited use never bothered to use them after that.

Well keep in mind the pumpkin lantern actually provides a good light source, while the one I suggested is more of an... emergency light. To keep you out of the Grue's clutches... but worthless for navigating at night. Sort of like a night light. :)

As for the pumpkin lanterns... if you see them about to expire destroy them. When you do you'll release the fireflies and they'll stay around for a while. They're a good light source, so long as you don't approach them too close.

I would think that while it might in theory make you immune to being caught in darkness

Of course these types of suggestions need to be balanced. Darkness and light are a key element to the game, so having an infinite light source is a dangerous idea. That's why I suggested it as a rare item that involved several steps to craft (as above) and only then does it provide very limited light.

I think the research points idea discourage you from exploring because you want your machines near. I suggested in my other post here to change the whole research mechanic idea.

Yup. I was aware, but it's always good to show others.

If you make some rare blue prints / recipes guarded by some hostile creatures scattered around the world. Or stored in specific places or simply just waiting somewhere for you to collect... this would encourage exploration. You would want to find that elusive yeti who has the technology to create Wool Coats to survive winter (just a random example). This way you DO want to explore to seek out new technologies instead of collecting junk to throw at the machine.

Well I want to be clear, I'm not suggesting we find blueprints or recipes per say. I'm suggesting that we find places that inspire through ancient knowledge for the player to have a breakthrough of their own. So it's less about using someone else's idea, and more about you coming up with a new idea. It's like... reverse engineering. You are given something (i.e. technology) you cannot use so you disassemble it, learn how it works, and the use that knowledge to create something similar that you can use.

The "feed machine to research" mechanic is wacky to be honest. It would be way cooler if you can learn some of the technologies by discovering specific places, fighting specific rare creatures or taking an item guarded by one or simply just exploring.

Well the new mechanic (coming in January) will involve unlocking items by first investing resources to "prototype" it. You spend more resources than normal, but once you've figured out the best method to craft it the next one and all others will be cheaper to craft.

ZaCormyr    11
Well the new mechanic (coming in January) will involve unlocking items by first investing resources to "prototype" it. You spend more resources than normal, but once you've figured out the best method to craft it the next one and all others will be cheaper to craft.

I really wish there wasn´t a list you can see of things to be researched and then crafted. I feel it would be better to only see what you´ve unlocked. it would be interesting that while you gather your first resources, say you pick up some grass... you would have an idea of what might be done with the grass, you harvest a sapling and have an idea of what you might be able to do with that but also what might be done with a sapling and grass since you already have ideas for grass... once you´ve got basic tools (which shouldn´t be all that difficult to make) you could make a science machine. then you could start putting each resource into the science machine to get help figuring out what to do with things. so throughout the game, you never actually see a recipe for an item until you´ve already made one, and yeah i´d think that a prototype would cost more resources because you´d need to experiment to get the item right.

this idea would keep people searching the world for new stuff. the player would never know if he/she unlocked all the items in the world, it would provide some mystery, some challenge.

mobius187    30
...you could make a science machine. then you could start putting each resource into the science machine to get help figuring out what to do with things. so throughout the game, you never actually see a recipe for an item until you´ve already made one, and yeah i´d think that a prototype would cost more resources because you´d need to experiment to get the item right.

this idea would keep people searching the world for new stuff. the player would never know if he/she unlocked all the items in the world, it would provide some mystery, some challenge.

This reminds me of my old suggestion, back before the new research method was promoted. It was back when we were discussing uses for parchment and someone suggested a journal. I combine the journal with the map (i.e. icon) so players could open their journal to examine the map or read their personal day-to-day thoughts (if they wanted to write any)... and come up with research ideas.

The way I suggested research to work was to have a page in the journal filled with needs, and then as the player examined/picked-up objects in the world they were added as new words to this page. The player could then "brainstorm" inventions by trying to connect words to come up with new inventions. As some reseaources, like reeds, require you to reach more dangerous biomes, there's no way you could unlock any invention before you could actually find the resources to craft it. Anotehr user at the time suggested it was similar to a word game called "Alchemy"(?).

Anywho, I see what you're saying about not revealing every invention... and I've certainly watched players make mistakes in researching inventions that are pointless (i.e. Yogcast researched bee boxes... before even the bug net... or before crafting the spear or log suit). There needs to be a sense of priority... maybe inventions that require other inventions should double-lock certain inventions. Want to research the bee box, but haven't research bug nets? Then you can't unlock the bee box.

Also, as I suggested with farm plots and boats, inventions at higher tiers need to be built on earlier tier inventions to prevent skipping. Right now only the straw hat has used this idea, but farm plots could/should be next. Making higher-tier inventions "upgrades" to base-level inventions is another way to accomplish this.

Lastly, there was suggestion about having unique locations randomly placed on the map that "inspire" the player to create new inventions.