Late-game enemy suggestions

I think Don't Starve needs more late to end-game content. This probably won't get added, but it is an attempt of me to share some of my thoughts and ideas. In RoG, we got some extra content with the giants, but that only felt like mid-game content to me. I think the people who try to survive 100, 200 or even 300 days should get something for their efforts: more content, in the shape of late-game enemies. So, these are threats who you will only meet after a specific amount of days.

ENEMIES:

After 80 days - The Styx

The Styx is a new insanity enemy, and only one can visit you each night. When your character is going crazy (less or equal to 45% of your character's max sanity) The Styx, in the shape of flowing shadows, comes by and engulfs your fire, extinguishing it completely (there is a 50% chance of this happening every night, if the sanity requirement is met). The Styx will stay wrapped around your fire until you chase it away using another light source, like a torch. If you're quick, you can use flammable light sources to light the styx on fire, this'll give you a single nightmare fuel.

Sanity aura of -60/min

After 100 days - Aspect of despair

You've been in that place for 100 days now, and sometimes you just have your insane moments where you can't take it anymore. This is the aspect of despair. The aspect of despair has a 10% chance of spawning every night, and it is a monster which stays near your camp during nighttime, and strikes when the sun rises. The aspect of despair rushes towards your character, making a horrifying screeching noise, and strikes you for 20 damage and reduces your sanity to 1 for a minute. So basically, it works a bit like the nightmare amulet.

After 125 days - No more hounds

You'll start getting different periodic attacks now.

After 150 days - The clockwork queen

The clockwork queen is like a late-game version of the hounds, and it works like this:

The night before the queen arrives, your character says something along the lines of "I'm starting to get a bad feeling."

Then, about 30 seconds before the queen arrives, you will hear it making robotic noises.

Then, the queen arrives from the direction of your Maxwell biome.

The clockwork queen has these stats:

Health - 2000

Damage - 175

Attack period - 3

Attack range - not sure, her AoE range is probably similar (a bit less than) to the Bearger's object destruction AoE range, because it takes a few seconds to charge.

Walking speed - 4

It has two attacks: one where it does an AoE attack, which releases lightning around her, and one where it charges up an attack, and shoots a volley of three clockwork bishop energy balls (whatever those things are)

When it is halfway through its health, it summons a clockwork knight and a clockwork bishop. It summons a clockwork rook when it is at 25%.

It comes by every 15 days or so.

It drops the royal gear item, which can be used to craft something later.

After 200 days - The clockwork king

On day 200, a clockwork king will spawn in your world, and one of them will spawn every 30 days from that day on. First of all, its effects:

The clockwork king is a powerful being, and causes severe fluctuations in temperature because its temperature regulation system influences the entire world of Don't Starve. Basically, temperatures will start going haywire (along the lines of summer temperature on one day and winter temperature on another) until you kill the clockwork king.

Its warning call is a sudden rise to overheating with a sudden drop to freezing following it, after that your temperature goes back to normal. The clockwork king has arrived.

These are its stats:

Health - 3000

Damage - 250 (high, but short range)

Attack period - 3

Attack range - 3

Walking speed - 3 (Royalty walks slowly eh?)

Other than its main attack, it can summon bishops, knights, and rooks.

At 67% health, it summons two clockwork knights.

At 50% health, it summons two clockwork bishops.

At 33% health, it summons two clockwork rooks.

It drops the royal thermostat

ITEMS (powerful enemies should have powerful rewards):

Prismatic gem (shadow manipulator level crafting, I made this recipe to make some of the other recipes that use all gems a bit shorter):

1x red gem

1x blue gem

1x purple gem

1x orange gem

1x yellow gem

1x green gem

Royal temperature regulator (ancient level crafting):

Recipe:

1x Prismatic gem

4x Royal gears

1x Royal thermostat

1x Thulecite

This object lasts for 15 days and gives you temperature immunity (keeps it stable as long as the item is in your inventory. The item will keep losing its charge when you store it! So you can't have permanent protection against temperature, because you can not have enough of the components after another 15 days). You could save up the components or keep them for a while until you get a season you have trouble dealing with.

Royal crock pot (ancient level crafting):

The royal crock pot is like a standard crock pot, but it gives you twice the food at the cost of 10 sanity per use. This is its recipe (not very cheap, is it?):

4x Thulecite

4x Nightmare fuel

4x Royal gear

1x Prismatic gem

I'm not good at spriting, so no sprites. If I get more ideas, I'll edit this thread.

4k health? How the hell are you meant to kill that?

I love the insanity ideas since sanity is really not tied in well at the moment. Going to note some of your ideas in case I ever get around to making any mods.

As for the general late-game prowess of the game: I really wish people would consider that the problem is ongoing hostilities being near-insignificant and not periodic invasions being weak. If the only thing that's thrown at the player is high-hp opponents, the game becomes very bland (and 1-sided towards tooth trap/blow-dart farms or arms races for scaled armour/thulite stuffs). The upbeat of the game has rather lost its pulse. 

4k health? How the hell are you meant to kill that?

I love the insanity ideas since sanity is really not tied in well at the moment. Going to note some of your ideas in case I ever get around to making any mods.

As for the general late-game prowess of the game: I really wish people would consider that the problem is ongoing hostilities being near-insignificant and not periodic invasions being weak. If the only thing that's thrown at the player is high-hp opponents, the game becomes very bland (and 1-sided towards tooth trap/blow-dart farms or arms races for scaled armour/thulite stuffs). The upbeat of the game has rather lost its pulse.

Maybe I was being a bit too... enthusiastic with the 4k hp. I'll change that to 2k because its damage is really high aswell. Also, I think I'll make up some more of these sanity things and some aspects which make the game harder.

After 150 days - The clockwork elephant

Kind of breaks with the theme of clockworks being chess related.  And honestly it's just another giant and not different from any other giant/monster except in look.  I think there's better ways.

The first 2 are a bit random.   But, I like the last one.  Once they come in multiples you'll be forced to use other methods than spear and armor.  Possibly pan flute/sleep dart + gunpowder, massive hound trap ring, ice staff.   It's just good that it breaks the monotony of the spear and armor style that most end game players can use to deal with everything the game has right now.

Kind of breaks with the theme of clockworks being chess related. And honestly it's just another giant and not different from any other giant/monster except in look. I think there's better ways.

Changed the entire thing with the clockwork.

EDIT: added the clockwork king too

Hmmmmm... I really like this. Although, in chess, the queen is superior to the king so I think they ought to be swapped in your idea. Other than that, I think it's fantastic - I'd love to see more stuff implemented for (in)sanity. :)

Hmmmmm... I really like this. Although, in chess, the queen is superior to the king so I think they ought to be swapped in your idea. Other than that, I think it's fantastic - I'd love to see more stuff implemented for (in)sanity. :-)

The thing with the king is, it's actually quite weak. Its most powerful ability is to summon other minions to fight for him, and the only other ability it's got is to slash with a sword. Also, the thing about the king is that it influences the entire world, just like a king in chess influences the entire board. When the king goes down, the entire game of chess (the fluctuations in temperature throughout the entire world) ends. So, you could see the fluctuations in temperature as the game of chess, and the king as the thing you've got to checkmate to end the game.

It has high health because that symbolises how the king usually goes down last in a chess game, and is usually highly protected. However, the king can only move one step at a time, whilst the queen can move infinite steps. So, you can sort of see this back in their moves.

The thing with the king is, it's actually quite weak. Its most powerful ability is to summon other minions to fight for him, and the only other ability it's got is to slash with a sword. Also, the thing about the king is that it influences the entire world, just like a king in chess influences the entire board. When the king goes down, the entire game of chess (the fluctuations in temperature throughout the entire world) ends. So, you could see the fluctuations in temperature as the game of chess, and the king as the thing you've got to checkmate to end the game.

It has high health because that symbolises how the king usually goes down last in a chess game, and is usually highly protected. However, the king can only move one step at a time, whilst the queen can move infinite steps. So, you can sort of see this back in their moves.

Ah. You make good points - I just didn't understand before. More power to ya! :D

I like the first idea, but i dont understand the second, can you explain me?

With every sunrise, you have a chance that the mob aspect of despair spawns and hits you, its effects are 20 damage and temporary sanity decrease to 1 (1 minute). It hits you once and then goes away.

I have a very detailed new mob from the caves on a thread here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35020-solution-to-lack-of-incentive-in-caves-raiders/

I think they would make a great addition to the next DLC

Hmmk, I like it but I think I heard that the devs didn't want to do anything with the caves anymore. It's kind of a pity, because the caves are easily expanded upon. I guess I'm going to have to learn some coding and make a mod if I really want these ideas in-game.

Hmmk, I like it but I think I heard that the devs didn't want to do anything with the caves anymore. It's kind of a pity, because the caves are easily expanded upon. I guess I'm going to have to learn some coding and make a mod if I really want these ideas in-game.

I don't know if Klei meant never ever creating anything more for caves, merely not in this DLC. I'm hoping something like this could pop up in the ¿next? DLC because I love the idea of a MacTusk/Krampus mob. It would create a cool dynamic if done correctly

I don't know if Klei meant never ever creating anything more for caves, merely not in this DLC. I'm hoping something like this could pop up in the ¿next? DLC because I love the idea of a MacTusk/Krampus mob. It would create a cool dynamic if done correctly

Yeah, I've just started learning some lua. Helps that I got some coding experience :p

The Queen and King's powers should change. The Queen should be a fast, offensive attacker. The King should be defensive, with a huge line of clockwork bishops and knights guarding it.

I feel this change would work more like a game of chess, the Queen being your main attacker, and you'd King staying in the back.

Or maybe the player would have to go to the king? Seems more fitting for chess. No King attacks the player unless necessary.

The Queen and King's powers should change. The Queen should be a fast, offensive attacker. The King should be defensive, with a huge line of clockwork bishops and knights guarding it.

I feel this change would work more like a game of chess, the Queen being your main attacker, and you'd King staying in the back.

Or maybe the player would have to go to the king? Seems more fitting for chess. No King attacks the player unless necessary.

Yeah. When the king spawns into the world and you get the temperature fluctuations, you have to go to the chess biome and take the king down there. The queen, however, comes to your base to attack you. The king also has more health than the queen and can spawn a larger amount of enemies. It is actually already the way you want it to be, sort of.

Yeah. When the king spawns into the world and you get the temperature fluctuations, you have to go to the chess biome and take the king down there. The queen, however, comes to your base to attack you. The king also has more health than the queen and can spawn a larger amount of enemies. It is actually already the way you want it to be, sort of.

Kind of, but the King (without minions) should have relatively lower stats.

Kind of, but the King (without minions) should have relatively lower stats.

I'm kind of okay with his health being high, and his only attack is a simple close-range strike like in real chess (that's a really low attack range!). It feels quite balanced, really.

Archived