How do you do when playing with each character?

Not hardcore enough for Wes.

Not bad with maxwell, the constant sanity regen is great and the low health can be annoying at times but usually not much of a problem since he starts with many late game items, but once they're gone, they're gone. (Not counting codex umbra)

Woodie doesnt feel right, since i can't chop down too many trees without going all ROOOAR BEaVER MODE OF DOOM so that gets annoying, but the non-durability axe is really nice and the fact it chops down trees so fast is nicer, but you have to pause when you cut down like 3.

Not even gonna try wolfgang, because i'm used to trying to keep hunger filled up all the way.

I'll post more when i feel like it :p

Woodie doesnt feel right, since i can't chop down too many trees without going all ROOOAR BEaVER MODE OF DOOM so that gets annoying, but the non-durability axe is really nice and the fact it chops down trees so fast is nicer,

Actually last time i played as woodie (when he came out) all axes chop at the same speed, the special thing about Lucy is her speech and infinte durability. Then again i haven't played as woodie since he has come out so i wouldn't know if they changed that

For me I just don't see the point in Wickerbottom, as i generally don't make anything other than axes and pickaxes until i find a nice area to set up camp, and i see no real use in her books.

I also don't see anypoint in Willow, i find her sanity boost from fires is so minuscule that it doesn't affect anything and her lighter is just an infinte torch, and i just prefer to make temporary camp fires and cook some food.

Wendy I have no real gripe with, she's pretty cool.

I am used to always having my hunger at full even when i don't need to desperately eat, so i would probably be pretty good with Wolfgang, i just don't like how he looks when Wimpy.

WX-78 is amazing, because he is a robot and robots are cool. Also OP as heck when fully upgraded and it's amazing when you get struck by lightening

Wigfrid is Wolfgang, but better, though i don't like her voice so i don't really like using her (I've noticed i mostly play characters for their voices and appearance)

Webber has amazingly awesome/ adorable fan art, and his spider army feels really different in my opinion, and i like his voice and quotes

Wilson is Wilson and we all know Wilson is love, Wilson is life.

Actually last time i played as woodie (when he came out) all axes chop at the same speed, the special thing about Lucy is her speech and infinte durability. Then again i haven't played as woodie since he has come out so i wouldn't know if they changed that

For me I just don't see the point in Wickerbottom, as i generally don't make anything other than axes and pickaxes until i find a nice area to set up camp, and i see no real use in her books.

I also don't see anypoint in Willow, i find her sanity boost from fires is so minuscule that it doesn't affect anything and her lighter is just an infinte torch, and i just prefer to make temporary camp fires and cook some food.

I am used to always having my hunger at full even when i don't need to desperately eat, so i would probably be pretty good with Wolfgang, i just don't like how he looks when Wimpy.

WX-78 is amazing, because he is a robot and robots are cool. Also OP as heck when fully upgraded and it's amazing when you get struck by lightening

Wigfrid is Wolfgang, but better, though i don't like her voice so i don't really like using her (I've noticed i mostly play characters for their voices and appearance)

Webber has amazingly awesome/ adorable fan art, and his spider army feels really different in my opinion, and i like his voice and quotes

Actually, woodie chops faster and I believe needs less chops to cut down a tree...But dont trust me on that last one.

I actually main Wickerbottom and I do not share your viewpoint. I think that her books shine early/mid/lategame.

Early game, depending on what season you begin with, you can spam Horti. for infinite grass, twigs and berries so you have more time for other stuff. Birds of the world can be used for infinite morsels and feathers, just use a lureplant. 

If you need some quick meat and or monster meat, using tentacles on in a pig village can easily give you about 3-5 meat and  4-6 monster meat.

In day 1 to 70 I never even touched a season boss. thanks to swamps and tentacles on.

But I guess thats how I look at her.

Cheers!

My main characters are Wendy and Wilson, and I'm playing some Wigfrid and Webber for beta.  I wanted to like Wickerbottom, but I got hooked on Wendy since she encourages less direct conflict. 

I haven't unlocked Maxwell or Wes, and haven't tried Woodie or WX because their playstyles just don't interest me.  Willow was okay, but once I got used to darkness management, the lighter became more of a pain if I died and had to retrieve it. 

I tried a few games on Wolfgang once I got secure in food management early on, but his form shifts keep interrupting actions like fighting, so I don't care for that.

Both Wigfrid and Webber are interesting, and I have a soft spot for Wendy, so those will probably be my main character choices for a while.

I actually main Wickerbottom and I do not share your viewpoint. I think that her books shine early/mid/lategame.

Early game, depending on what season you begin with, you can spam Horti. for infinite grass, twigs and berries so you have more time for other stuff. Birds of the world can be used for infinite morsels and feathers, just use a lureplant. 

If you need some quick meat and or monster meat, using tentacles on in a pig village can easily give you about 3-5 meat and  4-6 monster meat.

In day 1 to 70 I never even touched a season boss. thanks to swamps and tentacles on.

But I guess thats how I look at her.

Cheers!

You points are very valid, to be honest i've probably never given her a fair chance, as i have barely played as her since the Strange New powers update, I mostly play characters for their personality and appearance, as i like to examine almost everything i can, and I dont really like Wickerbottom's voice and quotes, so i just never played as her, never seeing what her books can really do.

I'll probably end up trying her out again soon, as you've convinced me to give her another chance.

I play almost exclusively with Maxwell, because I'm a thelucite junkie. I usually make a early science machine, search for chester and destroy pig heads in sticks. Then I dig a hole and make a living in the cave eating mushroom and monster meat, sometimes going to the ruins for more fuel and gears.

I'm still trying to make to 100 days, my record is 85.

Wendy and Maxwell are my top two. I like to make the other creatures fight for me anyway, and since Wendy's bonuses encourage that and I like the morbid little girl quotes she is pretty good for me. Maxwell has a neat backstory and personality, plus I hate dealing with low sanity and he has practically no problem with it. 

I've made it to Day 100 on ROG with Wendy and probably would've made it longer but I wanted to explore the caves with Maxwell. I like playing Wilson occasionally because he has no negatives and little bonuses: it's just him and whatever you can make of him. 

I played at least a season with all but Wes and Maxwell, 1 year with Wilson, Willow, Weber and Woddie

Woody - My favorite, I use beaver-mode to get wood on day 1 and it  lasts me till day 9 (full moon) and is nice to have a strong beaver to clean an area of spiders, treeguards and overly aggressive / dangerous things like frogs and dog mounds

Wilson - Easy to keep healthy and sane, a bit boring to me

Willow - Her constant fires annoy me. I'm used to play with Woody so I have her sanity on low most of the time and she burns her own base when that happens -.-

Wolfgang - Strong but such a whiny wuss! Shush you, I'll give you your dinner soon. And stop being scared of the dark, you big baby! He is fine to keep fed and healthy but just annoys the hell out of me

Wendy / Abigail - I am still getting used to Abigail' habit of attacking anything she sees. I love Wendy's dark quotes though.

WX - Love him when he is upgraded but he is a pain in the butt to level, particularly now that Spring almost kills him -.- Love his quotes and comments

Wickerbottom - Love the fact that i don't need a science machine or gold on day 1 and can keep her sane asily - anyone is a breeze after getting used to Woody's post transformation sanity / hp. Her quotes are a bit boring but her knowledge rock.

Weber - Adore the character design and his quotes and have survived an entire year with him but I'm still learning how to use his spider army. It sems more trouble than it's worth so far. And he is terrible on caves - no really! - his sanity is too low for rain + caves so you end up with only being able to use him on caves for one season - autumn.

Wigfried - OP and lots of fun but sometimes feels too easy to me.

My original characters were WX and Willow before the changes.

I have always liked WX78 (?), just the character appealed to me and his rotten food negation. Since he was changed I still really enjoy him, the gears are ridiculously strong as consumables, and the rain is only a pain when starting fresh in spring. 

Wilson, always a special place, like most people. 

Been trying Woodie, since I like his concept with himself and the axe, the faster swings and threat of something happening. 

And for the DLC characters, Webber is my favorite because of the beard and the change to normal creature relations, and his fairly frail sanity.

Wendy I don't play a lot of, and Wickerbottom I almost never play. Wolfgang I would be good at because I always try to stay topped off, but I never got into him before. Plus the sanity drain is supposed to be higher? So not as interested.

Im also trying to get into Wes for the challenge, at first I thought he permanently lost health, but he didn't. I was actually kinda sad lol. I've actually been trying all darkness world with Maxwell. It's slow and slow.

Willow is so fun

I dont know why all hates she

I die all time for her sanity in the caves, but is funny an infinite torch, i love kill treeguards and another enemys with fire, she can be hard with this strategy, but her tematic is awesome

I almost exclusively play as Wilson, mainly because when I try playing as the other characters, it feels too different and gimmicky. I give the other characters a good shake, but overall the strategies and abilities when playing as them hinder me more than they help me. 

I prefer playing as Wilson because he is basic and has no strengths or weaknesses, allowing him to be used for almost any situation that would normally be difficult for a different character. He is basically a blank slate that can suit multiple play styles.

Only human I play is Wilson, because of his design.

Otherwise is always WX or Webber.

With WX I play like I'm invincible (because I'm close to that when fully upgraded). With Webber I play with utter distain for all friendly mobs (pigs, catcoons, bunnies).

Played Willow many times, she is really funny character. Actually like her ability to spontaneously burn things, nice boost to sanity level when it needed, and I pretty fast used to it.

Wendy is very cool too. She is very adorable and also funny to play with Abigail. I played my longest game with her in vanilla DS (like 89 days). But when I got bored, and started to explore dungeons, I found pretty annoying a hyperagression of Abigail. I even wanted to research if it possible to make a "switch" mod to turn on/off her aggressive/passive mode. I so liked to play with her. With a new giants I think is even more annoying to deal with threats.

WX78 is a beast. Game becomes too easy when you get close to full upgrade. Just need to rush at last a rain hat to survive a spring.

Wolfgang pretty good. But I don't like to sleep, so his afraid of the dark annoy me.

When I played Webber first time, I didn't manage to find any of big swarms of spiders, so it was pretty hard game (he wasn't with an egg at start yet). But next, and current, run found him really OP. Infinite source of meat, silk and glands. I basically never take my top hat off (excluding fights), so I have a constant sanity boost. Look like a boss aristocrat in a top hat, with an walking cane and magnificent white silky beard. For now I killed at last 16 spider queens, my swarm covered all neighborhood locations and keep growing. Such power is mine. Also found him pretty bad as a spelunky master because of his sanity.

After I played another characters, found Willson and Wickerbottom pretty boring. Don't like "mages", so didn't enjoy Maxwell's gameplay. Didn't try Woodie because, well, I do not want to play a beaver, I suppose. Also not yet unlocked Wes, too lazy to "farm" adventure mode, stopped after 6th "Two Worlds" as 3rd world.

How do I do when I play? Hum...

Wickerbottom: I find a pig village, set a huge camp (Grass farm, twigs farm, berry farm, 4 improved farms, 4 drying racks, and the usual stuff everybody needs)  here, and have fun with the books.

Wigfrid: Put your helmet, take your spear, and 1vs1 deerclops.

Wilson- I highly enjoy

Willow- Don't like to much, but never played her

Wolfgang- Enjoy the fighting aspect, fun character overall

Wendy- Enjoy Abigail for the AoE 

WX- Too OP in general I feel, but fun character for testing and stuff

Woody- Really like Werebeaver, but haven't played him much

Webber- Awesome, tried adventure mode with him and it was so fun

Wigfrid- Also really cool, love the battle-oriented gameplay

Maxwell- Kinda fun, doesn't compare to some of the others though

Wes- I use as a main now, really enjoy the challenge and his character art

Have played through with everyone but Wes and Wigfrid. I have a fair few gripes with every character at this point:

Wilson is great for insulation but pretty much OP for this very reason. The insulation and easy Meat Effigies make him one of the strongest characters in my experience.

I recently modded Willow so that her Lighter has a larger radius. I enjoy Willow's BURN BURN BURN playstyle up until a certain point in which it becomes a novelty that ascertains nothing. I'm still working on modding her into a fully balanced character in her pre-established fields.

I hadn't played WX-78 up until recently in which I decided to take it to Adventure Mode in RoG. I tried for the 'gold' a good 10-13 times before figuring out some imbalanced strats that made Adventure Mode a walk in the park (if you start on the Frog-Rain map, the campaign is easy. Otherwise, it's relatively hard to finish the first few levels). In the end, I became really agitated with the imbalances surrounding WX-78. Sure, I spent more than 50% of my time in Adventure Mode insane (literally), but once I got used to it and figured how Gears-Scaling worked, I realised the character was fundamentally broken and completely un-fun for its dimension-less dynamics (No gears = weak; full gears = unkillable...).

Wickerbottom presents some interesting gameplay to the field, but I found her requirement for Reeds to be astoundingly monotonous. Sure, the abilities have many applications, but the aspect of strategy in approaching Wickerbottom had very little variation beyond how you creatively implemented her Books.

Wendy is by far my most played. There's a mod for fixing up Abigail so that you can periodically call her back to you every time she engages, and the mod goes into further detail to make her a Night-Fighter by allowing you to recall Abigail into your inventory in which she illuminates the dark from within you. However, all of these - particularly the summoning (50 sanity) - completely drain you of all sanity, so I got overly frustrated with this dynamic coupled with her issues surrounding aggro and the illogical perspective of her Damage scaling as the Night falls yet not having any real natural means to fight during the Night.

On top of this: every niche of hers - bar a summonable minion - is already occupied by another character and implemented in a more integrity-conserving manner.

Wes is transparently underpowered. I like the look of the balloons, but they are fundamentally useless - particularly when perks like Abigail do remote damage in the same manner but at a higher rate and a lessor detriment.

Maxwell is my latest fav. Low Hp; ridiculous Dapper, Maxwell is a load of fun in Nightmare stuffs that you can't get in such a cheesy way with other characters. His quotes are also intrinsic evidence supporting or elaborating on lore in Don't Starve, so I've enjoyed the novelty of Maxwell very much.

Wolfgang is meh. Fun to play, but he's a real straight-forward brawler. Even Wigfrid has some dimensions that flesh her out better.

Woodie utterly annoys me with his determination to turn into a marsupial whilst contradicting as much verbally. I hate having to stop/start with his Werebeaver form, and I find my lack of control over this transformation to be counter-intuitive to innovative play. So, I've picked up a mod to deal with this and intend to try him out again soon.

Lastly, wasn't keen on playing Webber whilst spiders aggroed Chester and other neutral followers. Just too tedious to enjoy. Looking forward to playing him now presuming they've corrected this feature. Otherwise, looking forward to a mod that does as much.

Wilson - I dont think i've touched him since i unlocked willow.

Willow - Usually things go ok until i burn my base down.

Wendy - Played her once, not really a fan, moving on

Wickerbottom - My favourite, build back pack and shovel on day 1, then explore the vast majority of the map for the next 15 days or so... Set up base in the best location possible for that world. Base can be fully set up in a day or 2 since i'll have shovelled bushes/saplings/tufts etc. Make a tent, in case i have guests... Eventually reach stage where i'm farming krampus repeatedly, feeling invincible... never get his sack, end up dying due to not giving him enough (any) respect, or failing to catch boomerangs.

WX-78 - Die to rain in first 10 days. Or die to clockwork monsters because i must have those gears.

Wigfried - Explore until i find pig king, set up camp, kill anything that moves. Left an otherwise perfect map because rock lobsters escaped and started to take over, so currently playing her as nomad racing from world to world without setting up much of a base. Might settle down if i find somewhere nice, but actually quite liking the nomad life - i just wish i could make some settings harder each time i teleportato.

Wolfgang - Get annoyed at constantly having to eat, then delete save and swear never to play him again

Webber - Find spider queen set piece (or similar). Set up base nearby. Accidently attack spider and die a horrible death

Woody - fun character, love lucy. But havent really played him much since he was first released and going beaver form would bug out more often than not. Must try him again soon.

Wes/maxwell - never played

Wickerbottom's good use, is that Tentacles become renewable and you don't need to go to caves to kill the giant ones for the same loot that the original ones give, thought if you need more bone shards, you'll still need to go there...

Good point about Willow. Now that there is a Fire-proof armor in the game, I think she hasn't got any real use! I'd suggest if she actually gets buffed and have her being immune to Heat. Cause, I mean; Fire gives out heat, but she can hold down that; why can't she hold down the heat from the Sun's fire, ei?

Wigfrid, I don't think she's a buffed Wolfgang. She does have some OP items she can craft but she cannot eat vegetables and her Punching is NOT harder, so note that!

Swamp Camp for all, it has its challenges, but its a good way to get resources, specially with Wickerbottom and Webber, since they need a lot of reeds for their items, plus green shrooms are a grear way to control sanity.

Taking only vanilla into consideration:

Wilson: He's ok, it's the standard character so he doesn't have any drawback. Easy Winter and easy Effigy make him too boring too soon imho.

Willow: I don't understand the "hate" she gets. I love her lighter and her sanity gain near fires. I always manage to keep her sanity up so I've never burn my base down cause of it.

Wolfgang: Other than having to deal with his hunger he's pretty darn fun.

Wendy: Personal favorite. I love her lines and voice and her non-battle oriented playstyle. I am more of a build guy than a exploring guy. Once I settle somewhere I ain't never leaving.

Wickerbottom: I gave her a good try just once but I found out she really easy and boring. Her books require 8 reeds, and harvesting them it's too dang tedious. Her sanity it's really easy to keep up with Jerky, Taffy and Green Shrooms and dapper items... She has interesting quotes, but I don't like her much overall.

WX-78: Adventure Mode god. You can't go wrong with him there, gears op. I don't like him on vanilla though, we only get 10 gears above ground... I can deal but rain damage it's very annoying for me...

Woodie: I like his personality and lines but I can't deal with the Werebeaver. I know how to get his health and sanity but it's annoying to wake up with nothing on your inventory and have to pick everything up. I like to keep my things organized. Despite of that he's a second favorite and I want to learn how to deal with the beaver side soon.

Wes: He's fun and hard and challeging. I like him. But when I playing a character the quotes are quite some part of the fun, he's doesn't have them unfortunatelly.

William: I like how he breaks the fourth wall and give insightfull infomation about the world. I'm still to give him a nice run though. Playing him little. His sanity it's nice too mess with magic and his health it's easy to keep up.

-

RoG

Wigfrid: Battle oriented character it's not my thing. I can't settle with her, I think that's unfair to her character. She has to go on on venture and sieze her own meat! Haha I love her, pretty interesting and challeging early game.

Webber: Not sure about this kid... I currently am on a run with him, it's going ok, the problem is I'm always low on silk (which doesn't make sense right?) and wood is a pain to get without our pig buddies. His sanity doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would and good heart and stomach are welcome.

Good point about Willow. Now that there is a Fire-proof armor in the game, I think she hasn't got any real use! I'd suggest if she actually gets buffed and have her being immune to Heat. Cause, I mean; Fire gives out heat, but she can hold down that; why can't she hold down the heat from the Sun's fire, ei?

Thank you! Some people say they don't understand why she should have heat immunity because fire and heat aren't the same thing. Well, they aren't indeed but fire gives off heat and she can take fire forever; It's just weird. (I know it's for balancing purposed but still)

Archived