Webber - Recruited spiders should help cut down trees.

I like Webber, his perks allow for a very different play style. However his has one major flaw: He sucks at getting wood.

Usually late game for me I have a huge tree farm and when I want some logs I go recruit 3-4 pigs and get them to help me cut down the trees. However webber cannot do this as pigs attack him on sight.

So I feel it's only fair that Webber should be able to recruit spiders instead of pigs to help him cut down trees with him, or atleast have some kind of item that stops pigs from attacking him and allows him to recruit them. Something like a pig-hat, it would work exactly like a spiderhat but of course have the opposite effect. Spiders now attack him, pigs don't.

How exactly does a spider chop down a tree?

Besides imo webber need some sort of downside, a bigger and more varied (different types of spiders after all) army than other characters, but not as practical to help with trees etc.

Pigmen punch at trees to cut them down, I don't know maybe spiders can gnaw on them or something. And I understand your point, however most characters who have some kind of downside are interesting to work around, like wickerbottom's no sleep or wigfreds carnivorous diet. Whereas being slow at cutting trees is just irritating, and generally makes the game less fun as I need to spend an entire day tediously cutting down trees to feed my ever hungry ice-flingomatics.

You can probably use One Man Band, yeah. Not that it isn't a -pricey- option, but... the materials aren't that bad by the time you're that far set up, and sanity isn't too hard to cure.

You'll probably want to use armor to deal with all the nightmare monsters that'll inevitably pop up with Webber's low sanity.

Webber is unique and meant to be unique. Play Woody if you want a tree-chopper. Sure, other chars have pigs, but how does Webber have a wood problem? Chop them down yaself; it's not like you turn into a beaver everytime you cut a few down.

Webber should simply have other perks, else all the characters will transperantly be the same.

In reality, i dont remember old Wolfgang very much other then the act he was OP.

Can you refresh my memory a bit, if it doesnt cause us to derail this topic too much?

He had permanent double damage and higher health.

Webber is unique and meant to be unique. Play Woody if you want a tree-chopper. Sure, other chars have pigs, but how does Webber have a wood problem? Chop them down yaself; it's not like you turn into a beaver everytime you cut a few down.

Webber should simply have other perks, else all the characters will transperantly be the same.

Exactly. He is the first monster character, so he should be really different from everyone else, even more than he is now in my opinion.

Exactly. He is the first monster character, so he should be really different from everyone else, even more than he is now in my opinion.

Indeed, so we should consider his monster minions to be identical to Friendly creatures and normal chars. That is, Pigs don't attack Chester because it's obnoxious and would make no sense--this predicate exists and, thus, should extend to Webber.

Besides, the last patch notes stated they'd fixed this when they haven't, so it is an intended direction that needn't be complicated. If we want to flesh out Webber, let's do so in ways that are fun and not obtuse (not that Webber necessarily needs it - I wouldn't know since I gave up playing after losing Chester around a camp fire to 3 spiders I'd made "companions").

Being slow at collecting wood just makes the game tedious and boring, it's not a fun mechanic to work around unlike most character's negative trade-offs.

Woodies curse is fun.

Webber's logging is tedious.

Being slow at collecting wood just makes the game tedious and boring, it's not a fun mechanic to work around unlike most character's negative trade-offs.

Woodies curse is fun.

Shrug, I disagree. Mass-cutting down trees is handy to hoarder players and campers or people using UI costum 50 slot+ w/ 100 stacks per slot mods, but why should this perk extend to every char? Honestly, if you want it that bad, maybe use Old Bell? I just, jeez, do you care about integrity at all?

And Woody's curse is not fun when you cannot chop more than 3 trees down without pausing continuously. If you play Adventure Mode much, you'll find the 20 wood slot/demand to be a real bother as Woody when you're constantly at 50/50/50. It's not very dynamic at all when you consider it a consequence rather than a perk.

Woodies curse is fun.

It's not supposed to be fun to chop down an entire forest, it is supposed to be tedious. However, having played around 200 days as Webber, I must admit I never had any issue with chopping down wood. I only use an axe if I really need to, i.e. if wood is required for building something. Otherwise, I find alternatives. I tend to collect all the manure I find, Glommer's goop, Beefalo wool, etc. to fuel my firepits and ice fling-o-matics. Wood is never really needed in massive quantity at the same time, unless you are planning to cover up a really large area with some fancy flooring. If that is so, you can still do it little by little while doing some other more interesting stuff to make chopping all the wood less boring !

I honestly don't see why spiders would NEED to chop down wood. I agree with most of what @InaneDugong said. Every character has to be somewhat different. Webber being what he is, a monster, it is us who need to adapt our gameplay to him and find alternatives to the good'ol pig wood chopping army. If we find none of the wood gathering methods satisfying, then we can either limit our wood consumption, play as another character, or curse Maxwell while enduring the ''tedious'' process of leveling down a forest ! =)

You can probably use One Man Band, yeah. Not that it isn't a -pricey- option, but... the materials aren't that bad by the time you're that far set up, and sanity isn't too hard to cure.

You'll probably want to use armor to deal with all the nightmare monsters that'll inevitably pop up with Webber's low sanity.

You can recruit pigs with one man band as followers, but they still hate you and will (try to) kill you instead of cutting tree's

It's not supposed to be fun to chop down an entire forest, it is supposed to be tedious. However, having played around 200 days as Webber, I must admit I never had any issue with chopping down wood. I only use an axe if I really need to, i.e. if wood is required for building something. Otherwise, I find alternatives. I tend to collect all the manure I find, Glommer's goop, Beefalo wool, etc. to fuel my firepits and ice fling-o-matics. Wood is never really needed in massive quantity at the same time, unless you are planning to cover up a really large area with some fancy flooring. If that is so, you can still do it little by little while doing some other more interesting stuff to make chopping all the wood less boring !

I honestly don't see why spiders would NEED to chop down wood. I agree with most of what @InaneDugong said. Every character has to be somewhat different. Webber being what he is, a monster, it is us who need to adapt our gameplay to him and find alternatives to the good'ol pig wood chopping army. If we find none of the wood gathering methods satisfying, then we can either limit our wood consumption, play as another character, or curse Maxwell while enduring the ''tedious'' process of leveling down a forest ! =)

Yeah, see, I've never cleared a large enough area to warrant using pigs. I just cut as I need. So, it's hard for me to empathise with this request. Is there a requirement for mass-logging? The pig mechanic must be there for a reason (to be honest, I thought it was for sanity aura, not convenience. I mean, I'd use giants or rook or Old Bell if I were desperate but I'm hardly ever in that position. What do I need that much wood for? And perhaps the base making aspect is meant/intended to take longer as Webber? These points should be discussed and not stuff about what individuals want for themselves. Bit selfish and misleading.

I never have enough chests, never. Trees drop so little wood and all recipes take so many of them.

But I use Rooks, old bell and giants, it's just how Webber is. He should suffer all penalties of not being able to befriend pigs and bunnies.

My bases usually get quite large, a lot of the fun I get out of don't starve is by building some ridiculously intricate base with farms for every resource one could think of. I need a huge supply of wood to build cobble/wooden turf across the entirety my base, rooks and giants aren't really a very reliable, on-demand or safe source of wood for me. And as for the old bell...well in my other thread I've just complained about how OP it is and in my ideal world they'll nerf it at some point... 

However until that day, that's definitely a solution to webbers logging I agree.

Yeah, see, I've never cleared a large enough area to warrant using pigs. I just cut as I need. So, it's hard for me to empathise with this request. Is there a requirement for mass-logging? The pig mechanic must be there for a reason (to be honest, I thought it was for sanity aura, not convenience. I mean, I'd use giants or rook or Old Bell if I were desperate but I'm hardly ever in that position. What do I need that much wood for? And perhaps the base making aspect is meant/intended to take longer as Webber? These points should be discussed and not stuff about what individuals want for themselves. Bit selfish and misleading.

Yes I need a ridiculous supply of wood for ice-flingomatics and cobble flooring. Giving webber's spiders the ability to cut trees isn't going to be game breaking, if this is klei's permanent solution as a  negative trade-off for webber then this is not the right way to go! They could be a lot more imaginative. 

Spiders cutting wood is just a quality to life improvement to the few who do in fact need a large log supply. 

My bases usually get quite large, a lot of the fun I get out of don't starve is by building some ridiculously intricate base with farms for every resource one could think of. I need a huge supply of wood to build cobble/wooden turf across the entirety my base, rooks and giants aren't really a very reliable, on-demand or safe source of wood for me. And as for the old bell...well in my other thread I've just complained about how OP it is and in my ideal world they'll nerf it at some point... 

However until that day, that's definitely a solution to webbers logging I agree.

Having to rely on enemy mobs' AI is a bit far of a good design, I admit.

I haven't used the Old Bell yet for that, I'm accumulating a few to test on a huge forested area. Have you tried it for mass lumberjacking purposes?

If the Old Bell is no good for that, then maybe Webber would need an alternative.

I relate to the never enough boards scenario, in fact I used an exploit to get massive number of logs in the vanilla.

I never have enough chests, never. Trees drop so little wood and all recipes take so many of them.

But I use Rooks, old bell and giants, it's just how Webber is. He should suffer all penalties of not being able to befriend pigs and bunnies.

Never have enough chests? How even. 16 wood each, 3 wood per tree, that's 6 trees, or 11 for 2. That's nothing... How many bloody chests do you make? Perhaps consider this a repercussion of your style. I mean, I like carpeted bases and spend days making it. I dont complain about most carpeted areas being defended - in fact, I'd complain about some area not being defended. A bit irrelevant, but the point is the thought towards integrity.

Having to rely on enemy mobs' AI is a bit far of a good design, I admit.

I haven't used the Old Bell yet for that, I'm accumulating a few to test on a huge forested area. Have you tried it for mass lumberjacking purposes?

If the Old Bell is no good for that, then maybe Webber would need an alternative.

I relate to the never enough boards scenario, in fact I used an exploit to get massive number of logs in the vanilla.

Yes it's works fantastically however depending on where you use it, bigfoot will comes from a different direction and once he took a chunk out of my base with one of his three steps he takes. I only wish I knew how to determine which direction he will come from. I think it has something to do with the ocean in respect to yourself.

Yes I need a ridiculous supply of wood for ice-flingomatics and cobble flooring. Giving webber's spiders the ability to cut trees isn't going to be game breaking, if this is klei's permanent solution as a negative trade-off for webber then this is not the right way to go! They could be a lot more imaginative.

Spiders cutting wood is just a quality to life improvement to the few who do in fact need a large log supply.

Sigh. Who can even be bothered arguing with such an irrelevant implementation that'd take only an animation. Whatever, +1.

Yes it's works fantastically however depending on where you use it, bigfoot will comes from a different direction and once he took a chunk out of my base with one of his three steps he takes. I only wish I knew how to determine which direction he will come from. I think it has something to do with the ocean in respect to yourself.

You know, the whole concept of Bigfoot seems superfluous all together.

Archived