My huge issue with the giants. NERF the old bell!

I think the main problem with the Old Bell is that it's so covenient.the moment you find the statue(which is easy to locate if you know it only spawns in the birch forest), you find, at the same time, the recipe, the (peaceful)mob that drops one of the items, and the other item on every full moon. Also, aside from this, it also seems very disconnected. Like you find a statue of a bug, which wings along with some kind of flower it's atracted to makes a bell that summons a giant foot from the seas(seems like the kind of stuff you find in the workshop)

The old bell maybe should have a damage nerf on the giants like someone else suggested, but I don't want the thing nerfed to the point that its not fun to mess around with. I like finding stupid things to waste it on.

Yah know, I have three old bells (almost every time hound attacks they kill my glommer) and I've only used it once to see what it does. To kill giant, I don't know if it is a legit way, but I lead them in the forest far from my base and spam tentacle book. I have plenty of woods, tentacle drops, and the giant stuff. Legit, not legit? Who knows? Maybe one day, if I'm bored, i'll just use my bell to call Bob and cya giant.

If you don't use cheats then everything is legit, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

I'm sorry guys I used cheat. My chest filled with all the slurper pelts in my world turned to ashes, so I debugspawned them back. :')

I don't see the point of using old bell as I have a chest full of them. I mainly melee the giants due to boredom. 

How about ringing the bell wakes up all creatures? This way, if you were to use the old bell, you'd have to ring it and then play the pan flute precisely when said giant is in the stomp zone of the foot.

You know what, forget this thread! I'm making my own suggestion!

You know, some people like to play the game in the teleportato rush mode, not spending more than 20 days on a single map, but teleporting as soon as they get all the "things". This is why I like Old Bell as it is now, as it does not require you to spend boring hours of time to craft weapons, armor, and so on, but if something attacks you during your run, you can destroy it. It is much more thematic to destroy enemies in an indirect, cunning way than to defeat them in a melee fight (in a true underpowered survival situation a melee fight would be unwise).

Seriously, this is a sandbox game and not a MMORG. Therefore please allow players who do not like kiting and boring manufacturing of Science Machine, Alchemy Engine (I like this game very much, but I do not like the concept of "crafting stations" in any game - it is just so artificial), weapons, armor and so on to use an alternate strategy. It will not harm you in any way.

And if I should be absolutely honest, when I first used the Old Bell, I felt it was underpowered. That giant foot just seemed to be able to destroy a giant in one use, but the reality is different.

You know, some people like to play the game in the teleportato rush mode, not spending more than 20 days on a single map, but teleporting as soon as they get all the "things". This is why I like Old Bell as it is now, as it does not require you to spend boring hours of time to craft weapons, armor, and so on, but if something attacks you during your run, you can destroy it. It is much more thematic to destroy enemies in an indirect, cunning way than to defeat them in a melee fight (in a true underpowered survival situation a melee fight would be unwise).

Seriously, this is a sandbox game and not a MMORG. Therefore please allow players who do not like kiting and boring manufacturing of Science Machine, Alchemy Engine (I like this game very much, but I do not like the concept of "crafting stations" in any game - it is just so artificial), weapons, armor and so on to use an alternate strategy. It will not harm you in any way.

And if I should be absolutely honest, when I first used the Old Bell, I felt it was underpowered. That giant foot just seemed to be able to destroy a giant in one use, but the reality is different.

don't you still think that getting all of this for just fiding a statue is way too much? Really, you have to spend a huge amount of resources to even get a tooth trap field to damage something as much as that(something around 50 wood 50 ropes(150 grass) and 50 teeth, not counting the stone for the walls), and when doing any kind of rush in a game, one must expect to see many hardships, and have many situations where it's just more encouraging to play it slow and easily and settle down, not to expect the game to help you all the way through the rush

don't you still think that getting all of this for just fiding a statue is way too much? Really, you have to spend a huge amount of resources to even get a tooth trap field to damage something as much as that(something around 50 wood 50 ropes(150 grass) and 50 teeth, not counting the stone for the walls), and when doing any kind of rush in a game, one must expect to see many hardships, and have many situations where it's just more encouraging to play it slow and easily and settle down, not to expect the game to help you all the way through the rush

You do not get an Old Bell cheap, but you must pay a terrible price. In order to craft one, you need to kill Glommer, which is the only creature in the game whose killing spawns Krampus immediately. This means that it is the most innocent of creatures and you need to kill it to get a this device. This is a terrible sacrifice that needs to be done to get the Old Bell, so I would not call it cheap. Anyway, now seriously. I can see your point that the damage done by the giant foot is higher that the damage done by other items and it is slightly easier to craft (but often not that much). I also had a map without a Glommer statue (maybe a bug). I think that the idea of a computer game is to be entertaining. While many people are only entertained by extremely challenging games and view any workaround around the problems (like the Old Bell) negatively, there are also people who like that. So if the developers decide to listen to the former group, I hope that there would be a mod that restores the original Old Bell.

As far as the hardships during the rush are concerned, I can see your logic, but I like my playstyle - relatively short games and as I cannot use the majority of the items in the game because of this, I really liked the idea of having at least one good item. It has increased the fun in the game for me very significantly. But I see that there are players who do not like the current Old Bell. But would it be useful at all if it get de-powered?

Just make the old bell awake creatures, simply and funconal right?

Old Bell will be unusable if it awakes creatures. The only possible uses for it would be to cut wood and stone if it awakes creatures.

sure, you don't use it, but don't you think that it's too powerful(and out of place)?

No more than a stack of gunpowder. I choose not to use that too, but it doesnt effect me in the slightest if someone else uses it. Thats the beauty of a single player sandbox game.

No more than a stack of gunpowder. I choose not to use that too, but it doesnt effect me in the slightest if someone else uses it. Thats the beauty of a single player sandbox game.

I think this is a good attitude the player of a single player sandbox game should have.

Well The things that klei do make a 1%drop and wasting hours of giant tweaking and creating gigants just to kill them with and icy staff/sleep drats/pan flaute old bell combo

What 1% drop do you mean? Do you mean Krampus' sack? I do not see how an ice staff / sleep darts/ pan flute old bell combo does affect this drop.

And if you spend huge amounts of resources to get a tooth trap field to damage something as much as an Old Bell, it is your decision. If you like this play style, feel free to use it. If you think it is tedious to collect all those resources, then use alternatives.

What 1% drop do you mean? Do you mean Krampus' sack? I do not see how an ice staff / sleep darts/ pan flute old bell combo does affect this drop.

I am saying that this is stupid and 1% is the krampus sack

I am saying that this is stupid and 1% is the krampus sack

Are you suggesting that everybody should be forced to melee fight the giants for a long time even if they do not find it funny, but tedious, only because they are giants?

just to clear up, I'm not saying that you should be forced to melee every boss, but you should either have a great deal of preparation and thought to work around it(which the Bell+flute combo lacks, due to it's cheapness and power), or melee it with gigantic risk(which also seems to be lacking) or run the heck away

Are you suggesting that everybody should be forced to melee fight the giants for a long time even if they do not find it funny, but tedious, only because they are giants?

-. how do you kill a mob? there tons of ways right? tentacles spiders,pigs tree guards and i am saying that it should be nerfed not taken it out of the game and krampus is the old history buff and high that chance

Archived