Wickerbottom is useless?

Why her books are not infinite, or at least do not lose sanity?
Playing this character in RoG, I realized I can set much faster base for the many trees, so gets very easy the machine science, and her books are more of a disadvantage than advantage, so far only serves crop
She needs a buff I think, if you get to 0 of sanity is to die, she cant sleep to turn up her sanity

I don't think her books should have infinite durability as the "crops grow faster book" would be completely OP, and some others could be too good, but I personally agree, i really find no reason to play Wickerbottom besides the fact i only need a science machine to get the items that i would normally only be able to craft if i had a Alchemy Machine.

I just really don't see any upsides to her besides that.

Maybe it's just my play style.

I smell troll behind this... Are you serious? She has a big advantage early on, because of the science machine... Her books buff her mid and also late game.

Her sanity lose is easily compensated with jerky. Sleeping is a game mechanism that might be useful, but in my eyes is completely overrated...

There's lots of other ways to recover your sanity, like cooked green mushrooms (which in my experience are all over the place) or taffy (which is very easy to make en masse once you have a bee box) or once you have some good sanity-restoration gear.

I don't particularly like Wickerbottom's books that much for my playstyle, but they undeniably have some interesting things you could use them for, and if I did want to get into that I think it'd be pretty fun. Summoning tentacles to beat up monsters for you wherever you'd like, summoning birds for food farm (or instantly growing a lot of seeds at once with her other book), lightning attacks, etc.

Mass tentacle summoning could be -really- good for some boss enemies (or more mundane ones too, of course), and lightning sets stuff on fire, so it could be like a fire staff alternative.

you're joking right?

She has a very strong early game due to being able to craft a backpack right off the bat (used to be even more pronounced when hammer and shovel required a science engine). This means you can explore for much longer before needing to set up a camp.. knock on effect, you have a better chance of settling up basecamp in the best location possible.

The books are situational, but useful... 

I really like on tentacles in particular - i go to the walrus camps and read that book a couple of times - come spring, theres a huge pile of loot to pick up. I've also used it for an alternative panic room - rather than a room full of traps, i had a room with a heap of tentacles at the entrance.. so now you get tentacle spikes along with the normal hound loot.

Need feathers? Or want to spawn a krampus? No problem, read birds of the world followed by sleepy time stories! Sure beats killing youself with failed boomerang catches imo!

Need that dragonfruit now rather than later? Have a Moose at Applied Horticulture, it's a great read!

Yes, she has problems with sanity (problems which become a non issue as soon as you get a tam) but thats the price you have to pay for otherwise being so great.

Besides, sleep is overrated, while everyone else is snoozing Wicker is still out gathering, building, cooking, fighting, etc... you get more done with wicker!

Be creative, theres loads she can do that noone else can.

The machine science is very cheap, wood, stone and gold, nothing more.
And you saw her books?
Growing Crops: The only decent
To sleep: For something this mandrake
Birds: Sleeping book with this book is free food, but it is difficult to make and lose a lot of sanity
Tentacles: Never use but does not seem very useful, unless you are  persecuted for 2000 spiders
Falling ray: same the tentacles, but is more unsafe

Only I see fun by her appearance, beyond that there are better characters, she's not more harder, is more boring

There's lots of other ways to recover your sanity, like cooked green mushrooms (which in my experience are all over the place) or taffy (which is very easy to make en masse once you have a bee box) or once you have some good sanity-restoration gear.

I don't particularly like Wickerbottom's books that much for my playstyle, but they undeniably have some interesting things you could use them for, and if I did want to get into that I think it'd be pretty fun. Summoning tentacles to beat up monsters for you wherever you'd like, summoning birds for food farm (or instantly growing a lot of seeds at once with her other book), lightning attacks, etc.

Mass tentacle summoning could be -really- good for some boss enemies (or more mundane ones too, of course), and lightning sets stuff on fire, so it could be like a fire staff alternative.

you're joking right?

She has a very strong early game due to being able to craft a backpack right off the bat (used to be even more pronounced when shovel required a science engine). This means you can explore for much longer before needing to set up a camp.. knock on effect, you have a better chance of settling up basecamp in the best location possible.

You have 1000 more days to explore, there is no reason to wait that long to make a base, Characters like Wigfrid and Wolfgang really need create a base as soon as possible for cook food,and is too unsafe explore the world in the frists day, you can die quickly.

To sleep: For something this mandrake

Mandrakes are finite, Sleepytime stories is renewable. Also, mandrakes put you to sleep too if im not mistaken.

You have 1000 more days to explore, there is no reason to wait that long to make a base, Characters like Wigfrid and Wolfgang really need create a base as soon as possible for cook food,and is too unsafe explore the world in the frists day, you can die quickly.

There is a reason to wait to make a base, i already mentioned the reason - to get the ideal location. Dont tell me you never set up your base, only to realise later that there was a much better spot elsewhere on the map.

It's easy to explore without dying, you dont have to get involved in combat at all unless you choose to.

Just because a character doesnt suit your preffered play style that doesnt mean they are useless... just play a different character if you dont like her, but i assure you she's plenty good enough already. I wouldnt want her to be made any easier than she already is.

Playing this character in RoG, I realized I can set much faster base for the many trees, so gets very easy the machine science, and her books are more of a disadvantage than advantage, so far only serves crop

She needs a buff I think, if you get to 0 of sanity is to die, she cant sleep to turn up her sanity

If you like you can try my mod.

Makes Wickerbottom can sleep http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/548-close-your-eyes/

You think most of the books are useless, but I don't really agree. I think they're plenty useful. Lightning book will let you easily kill those tier 3 spider nests before they turn into queens (although for the red gem I admit you could make a fire staff instead), sleeping book is -really- useful (you only get a couple mandrakes per world, if any!) and if you craft a birdcage for eggs then the bird book really is not difficult to make, and could also help you mass-farm materials for Blowdarts, a powerful weapon against the tougher enemies.

And the tentacles book has so many wonderful uses.

edit:Okay the lightning book might not be that good. Probably better for killing a bunch of annoying little creatures at once with fire instead of engaging them all. Rabbits or birds or frogs.

You think most of the books are useless, but I don't really agree. I think they're plenty useful. Lightning book will let you easily kill those tier 3 spider nests before they turn into queens (although for the red gem I admit you could make a fire staff instead), sleeping book is -really- useful (you only get a couple mandrakes per world, if any!) and if you craft a birdcage for eggs then the bird book really is not difficult to make, and could also help you mass-farm materials for Blowdarts, a powerful weapon against the tougher enemies.

And the tentacles book has so many wonderful uses.

edit:Okay the lightning book might not be that good. Probably better for killing a bunch of annoying little creatures at once with fire instead of engaging them all. Rabbits or birds or frogs.

Most of the lightnings will hit Wickerbottom if the dlc is enabled (this may be fixed on the next update tho).

Am I the only one who made 10 chests full of books as Wickerbottom and go through the adventure mode to get Maxwell? Dude, Maxwell using Wickerbottom's books are utterly OP in my opinion. If you say, well he doesn't have his book~ You should suicide and come back alive with codex umbra. That is how you use Wickerbottom. 

Am I the only one who made 10 chests full of books as Wickerbottom and go through the adventure mode to get Maxwell? Dude, Maxwell using Wickerbottom's books are utterly OP in my opinion. If you say, well he doesn't have his book~ You should suicide and come back alive with codex umbra. That is how you use Wickerbottom. 

That is very, very resourceful. Can you leave other character specific items behind, such as woo die's ax, Willow's lighter, Wendy's flower, or Wigfrid's battlements?

That is very, very resourceful. Can you leave other character specific items behind, such as woo die's ax, Willow's lighter, Wendy's flower, or Wigfrid's battlements?

Yeah you can! What you can do is to use teleportato and load up your character specific item in the teleportato. Then, after you use the teleportato, switch character in your world 2(and onward) character selection. Keep doing this until you get to an OP character that you want to settle with. 

​Edit: this only works for items that are craft-able, not the character specific ones.

I think the character specific items despawn if you're not playing as the character they're made for. If you spawn the item in ,they instantly despawn.

local CharacterSpecific = Class(function(self, inst)    self.inst = inst    self.owner = "wilson"    self.inst:DoTaskInTime(0, function() self:CheckOwner() end)end)function CharacterSpecific:SetOwner(name)	self.owner = nameendfunction CharacterSpecific:CheckOwner()	local player = GetPlayer()	if player and player.prefab ~= self.owner then		self.inst:Remove()		endendreturn CharacterSpecific

Is the code inside the characterspecific component, which every character's starting item has. So all the books will probably despawn. If not, then... weird.

I think the character specific items despawn if you're not playing as the character they're made for. If you spawn the item in ,they instantly despawn.

local CharacterSpecific = Class(function(self, inst)    self.inst = inst    self.owner = "wilson"    self.inst:DoTaskInTime(0, function() self:CheckOwner() end)end)function CharacterSpecific:SetOwner(name)	self.owner = nameendfunction CharacterSpecific:CheckOwner()	local player = GetPlayer()	if player and player.prefab ~= self.owner then		self.inst:Remove()		endendreturn CharacterSpecific

Is the code inside the characterspecific component, which every character's starting item has. So all the books will probably despawn. If not, then... weird.

Nope, I tried this last time, The books were there and functional. I think this only applies to character locked items like the axe and flower. Wigfrid's sets and wickerbottom's sets won't despawn.

Nope, I tried this last time, The books were there and functional. I think this only applies to character locked items like the axe and flower. Wigfrid's sets and wickerbottom's sets won't despawn.

inst:AddComponent("characterspecific")
        inst.components.characterspecific:SetOwner("wickerbottom")

That's in the books prefab. Interesting.

I would personally like to see a new book or two for her to deal with seasonal mechanics. Maybe something like:

Meteorology and you

From gales to hails

Instantly resets the current weather debuff to zero, so the cycle can begin again. (Hence letting you rush back to camp or create what you need to combat the weather). Like all books, there is a cost of sanity.

Wicky is great like she actually is. She is my main character, and I think that or having infinite books or having no sanity cost would be too op and would ruin her gameplay. Books are like super spells: you must use it wisely or you shall face the consequences.

She is the only character, with which you can make tentacle monsters and the stuff they drop renewable. But I agree, she needs a buff. It'd be great to have every character except Wes with quite equal advantages, even Wilson. I know nobody would like to give him a buff, thought having him to craft potions that other characters can't, would be quite useful. After all, he is a Gentle man scientist.

She is the only character, with which you can make tentacle monsters and the stuff they drop renewable. But I agree, she needs a buff. It'd be great to have every character except Wes with quite equal advantages, even Wilson. I know nobody would like to give him a buff, thought having him to craft potions that other characters can't, would be quite useful. After all, he is a Gentle man scientist.

That's one thing I was thinking about him. Why not give him the same perk as Wicky, the one allowing her to already know recipes of the science machine? Or at least giving him something "special" like potions. You don't need to be a scientist to have a beard, after all.

Klei's stance on Wilson, from what I understand, is just that he's the base character from which people learn to play the game, they like him as he is right now, and there's no plans to change him.

Anyway, I think Wickerbottom is pretty balanced as-is. Starting with recipes makes it easier for her to start, she can explore easier than the other characters without having to set up any kind of base until you've got a pretty good idea where a good spot would be; and then she has the books for later, and they're pretty nifty. Tentacle summoning and having a renewable sleep spell rather than the limited panflutes is good, because sleeping has some really strong applications against boss-type monsters or just for escaping in general.

And then there's the bird/plant books for food or feather farming, or trying to nab a watermelon hat or whatever.

I am currently on day 95 with Wickerbottom and she is everything but useless:

Need eggs or fast food?

Use "Birds of the world" at the core of a lureplant, free feathers and morsels =/= eggs.

Need to kill Bearger or a Treeguard early on?

Use "Tentacles on" and you don´t even need to touch bearger or treeguard once.

Need quick crops/berries/grass/twigs?

Use "Applied Horticulture"

Need some meat or wool from a Beefalo?

Use "Tentacles on" and see the rain of meat and wool.

Need to run like you just wet your pants from your first time encouter with the Dragonfly?

Use "Sleepytime Stories" and run away you little girl :).

I havent gotten around using The end is nigh, but I guess I will someday soon...

She is everything but useless.

Last example...

Need easy hound tooth and or a walrus tusk/blow dart?

Use "Tentacles On" and just spam their base with it, come around at winter and ho and behold...free loot.

At the moment I haven´t even needed to touch any of the bosses if I pleased, only the dragonfly had to take 4 hits from to die. If anything she is seriously OP, bringing you to late game way faster than any other character.

I wish she had a few more books to play around with, that would be nice...Or more bosses to play around with x).

Archived