How do YOU deal with giants?

Well I just got a special visit today from the dragonfly while playing as Webber. I never faced him before, so I decided to use my usual melee technique. I must admit I was pleased with the difficulty of the combat. I had to heal at some point and had to craft an extra armor/helmet mid fight, which rarely happens against anything else, except for the occasional lack of attention + sneaky tentacle combo. With little to no knowledge of it's attack pattern, I still managed to kill it, one on one, in melee with a tentacle spike and pig helmet + log armor. Had to switch to icecube occasionally to cool down, but it's still killable in melee. I wish all the bosses/giants were at least that hard to kill one on one.

You're supposed to be able to kill it one on one with no knowledge of it's patterns, aren't you?

This is a permadeath survival game and you can encounter your first giant 15 days in your first playthrough.

Kiting is the main combat mechanic in this game and, well, in theory kiting means no damage every time you play. So unless they make their pattern impossible to predict and to kite, then there's not much else to add to the giants.

You're supposed to be able to kill it one on one with no knowledge of it's patterns, aren't you?

This is a permadeath survival game and you can encounter your first giant 15 days in your first playthrough.

Kiting is the main combat mechanic in this game and, well, in theory kiting means no damage every time you play. So unless they make their pattern impossible to predict and to kite, then there's not much else to add to the giants.

Indeed, I agree with you! =) It just seems like there are so many posts everywhere lately about ''How to kill this giant'', ''Killing dragonfly'', ''Did someone actually kill dragonfly in melee'', etc. There is also a lot of complaints about the said Dragonfly, so I was expecting to die at least once, especially on my first encounter. Perhaps the wolf was screaming louder than he could bite ! (Does it even make sense ? o_O )

Indeed, I agree with you! =) It just seems like there are so many posts everywhere lately about ''How to kill this giant'', ''Killing dragonfly'', ''Did someone actually kill dragonfly in melee'', etc. There is also a lot of complaints about the said Dragonfly, so I was expecting to die at least once, especially on my first encounter. Perhaps the wolf was screaming louder than he could bite ! (Does it even make sense ? o_O )

I assume they rush in. Kiting the giants is more a matter of patience than anything else. It's 2000 health that you need to drain with 34 damage at a time.

I much rather have some gunpowder and darts, but then again I can't afford to waste slots travelling with them and I stay several days away from base...

I assume they rush in. Kiting the giants is more a matter of patience than anything else. It's 2000 health that you need to drain with 34 damage at a time.

I much rather have some gunpowder and darts, but then again I can't afford to waste slots travelling with them and I stay several days away from base...

Probably. Although I can understand that from a new player's point of view, kiting is not the easiest thing to do and giants might be really problematic. I've watched some of my friends during their first Don't Starve games and their reflex was to fight in the good'ol Hack and Slash way, except they quickly realized they couldn't hit the potion key and just died (to my pleasure) =P

Edit: When it's late game and I don't feel like fighting a giant, I usually just telelocate him randomly somewhere in the world never to see him again (until next season).

I REALLY don't recomend this. I had a wonderful life as Max full of thelucites and rainbows and when the dragonfly spawn I remember the quote and telelocate it. It telelocates next to me, so I try again and to the same result. The rest of the story is a sad one full of panic, burned everythings and a 100 days world lost into oblivion.

DR: telelocator staff does not work with the dragonfly

The real issue is that most giants aren't that challenging.  If you are in decent health, you can kill any giant with a log suit and pigskin helmet.  You maybe need multiple armor pieces against deerclops as he does freeze you every other hit not.  But, the logs, pigskin, and rope are not very difficult to obtain. 

yeah to some people!!! I'm a peaceful wilson that just want to live to see another glommer

Sometimes I'll have a Bearger that keeps doing the running attack, even when I'm extremely close to him, making it impossible to hit it and hard to control his damages to all things around.

Anyone had him doing that?

He also sometimes will stop his pattern altogether and just stay there idle for several seconds, until doing the bash "area of attack" move.

Archived