RoG - It's now very hard... to starve

I agree with the title. If you read my thread, 'A Reconsideration of Don't Starve's Meta', I've suggested that the inability to starve has a lot to do with the other elements of the game not having much of an effect on the player, allowing one to dedicate all upkeep towards Food and Weather. 

Just my opinion though. 

Yeah, I've been keeping up with it. It seems to me we're basically thinking about the same problem, but you were quite a bit more thorough. I would agree with your assessment, it's very easy to keep up with your food needs because the only real constant threat is the weather, which after a single season you are often capable of almost completely ignoring.

My other contention is that giants are just a bigger version of hounds, basically, and so rather than having changed the game dramatically they've just reskinned an event (and actually made it more lucrative when you beat it).

Yeah, I've been keeping up with it. It seems to me we're basically thinking about the same problem, but you were quite a bit more thorough. I would agree with your assessment, it's very easy to keep up with your food needs because the only real constant threat is the weather, which after a single season you are often capable of almost completely ignoring.

My other contention is that giants are just a bigger version of hounds, basically, and so rather than having changed the game dramatically they've just reskinned an event (and actually made it more lucrative when you beat it).

I think we were all imagining a more persistent element to the environment rather than a seasonal Deerclops. It is a shame since they could have had a far more interesting effect on the environment - a constant danger, sort of like that recommendation for nomadic trolls that someone came up with. 

Oh well. 

while i agree, I personally don't mind that much. Vegetables are just as hard to come by but meat is much easier, while this means with a bit of basic fighting food is easy to handle, however without much knowledge of fighting this will be incredibly hard to sustain. I'd say the problem would lie more in the combat handling (since kiting beats almost everything) rather than food abundance itself.

I actually quite like it though it gives me a bit more time to focus on planning and handling the new bosses and preparing for the new season changes. (I am not looking forward to summer.) Another point is that meats still take some risk to get, if you are hurt for whatever reason some serious considering is in order to decide on whether to hunt or just wait for safer food.

I think the fact that you get more meat in RoG is balanced by the fact that crockpots and drying racks are no longer op (food spoils while on crockpot and drying racks now).  

In other words, it's very hard to starve in either version once you get accustomed to the game.

In order to Don't Starve, you must hunt and kill animals normally. Most people end up in the morgue because of a fight or so. No one is going to willingly just slowly starve to death, so most throw themselves into a fight.

Some days I have too much food, other days I don't have any. I don't use every method of hunting and farms in one save file because it bores me, which normally makes my food supply change dramatically.

Whilst there were some hardcore nerfs to food storage from Vanilla to RoG, RoG also offers a few new ways to get food. For instance, building bee dens near pig villages, or building close to catcoons (their persistence in killing birds and moleworms is a favourable attribute for my stomach). 

There's also more creatures in general that area easier to kill and drop morsels. Sure, Rabbits got a big-time nerf, but you've now got vultures, moleworms, catcoons, and birch nuts (am I missing anything?). Mind you, if you set out to play a nomadic game, it's just as hard as it ever was - the weather offsets the creatures, imo.

Shrug. 

Well i am geting destroid on Rog, maybe is because i last played in a year and didnt look at wiki? i mean in dont starve knologe is power if you check every single thing in wiki is preety much 50 % easier.

Archived