RoG - It's now very hard... to starve

So I've been playing RoG for a little while now, it's quite good (although the Beargar really annoyed me) and although I'm a fairly experienced Don't Starve player, one thing strikes me as having changed fairly dramatically:

It's now actually almost difficult to starve. There is an abundance of easily killed (i.e., just spear and log suit) animals dropping food, even during winter. Often these animals are in biomes which before were effectively food deserts. Not only this, but there are just as many carrots and berry bushes, plus birch trees which drop edible food (although with a somewhat nasty bite). 

I'm not saying it's now an easy game, it's actually harder, imo, but the focus has seemingly turned to dealing with the ever present conditions of the weather. I always feared winter more for the lack of available food than the cold, but it's almost a non-issue now.

Does anyone else think the same? I'm not really saying it's a bad change, but just something for Klei to consider.

I was actuslly kinda off with food during the winter. I had to go to beefalos and I either ate meat or seeds from the ground. Because of bearger I got myself HELL of a lot of beefalo wool and HELL of a lot of meat (many of which I had to throw away to rot because it was getting stale even in ice box and my Snow Chester. I made like 20 meaty stews. Now during the spring I have 2 full ice boxes of food and I'm greatful for it. You see, the way the game works is if you survive first it'll be easy on many things. But the threats remain the same, say I'm scared now to even look for Koalefants because of Warg! I'm already making luxury stuff whilst getting close to day 300. I think my world will eventually become boring to me and I'll have to move to a new world, thought with a lot of knowledge!

I think that ironically, even if the game is called ''Don't Starve'', most of the time you won't die of starvation. It was the case in vanilla Don't Starve and it is still the case now with RoG. Food is more of a constraint that you need to work around at first, but once you know how to properly get food, how to properly preserve it for 20-40days and make eggs once it's spoiling anyway, the challenges are elsewhere, really. Perhaps it is intended that way on default world settings to make it enjoyable to new players for whom the game is already punishing enough (only the great Maxwell knows). An obvious suggestion would be to tweak the world settings to make it more challenging on this aspect of the game =)

I've never found hunger much of an issue. Try Wigfrid maybe if you want more of a challenge. I spawned her in an awful world and it's always a mystery where my next meal will come from. I've had to eat a fair portion of monster meat due to this and it keeps the game a struggle

I think that ironically, even if the game is called ''Don't Starve'', most of the time you won't die of starvation. It was the case in vanilla Don't Starve and it is still the case now with RoG. Food is more of a constraint that you need to work around at first...

I suppose you're right about that, but my first experiences with the game were of serious difficulty getting a consistent food supply. I suppose that phase didn't last very long but it still felt like the most challenging aspect of the game until I managed to get to the point where serious hound troops showed up.

In any case, I like (and hate, heh) that spring spoils food faster.

I did post this before I'd made it all the way through summer, so the additional difficulty with farms seems good.

Maybe winter could cause food to freeze (requiring thawing) if you get too cold?

Interesting topic. I myself find early on you have an abundance, lots of berry buses, carrots. But once you adapt and get a renewable food resource down then it gets easy. I have had game through a where I have had lots if food, and games where I'm struggling. Because of food spoilage with crock pots, and drying racks it's harder than standalone.

Interesting topic. I myself find early on you have an abundance, lots of berry buses, carrots. But once you adapt and get a renewable food resource down then it gets easy. I have had game through a where I have had lots if food, and games where I'm struggling. Because of food spoilage with crock pots, and drying racks it's harder than standalone.

Well, they did make rabbits a less reliable resource. Before, rabbits could be used for food in any season at any time, but now they're unavailable in spring and the traps require more effort to maintain. I'd say I had more difficulty than usual finding food when one of my worlds started in spring. If birchguards had been in the game at that time, I imagine I would have been in serious trouble.

Well, they did make rabbits a less reliable resource. Before, rabbits could be used for food in any season at any time, but now they're unavailable in spring and the traps require more effort to maintain. I'd say I had more difficulty than usual finding food when one of my worlds started in spring. If birchguards had been in the game at that time, I imagine I would have been in serious trouble.

Well this is true , but there are now so many other sources of food that building dedicated traps is almost pointless for anything other than getting live rabbits.

especially with the new characters which dont have as many downsides to eating monster meat based food.

plus once you get boomerang production up and running food is everywhere.

The funny thing now is that meat is so easy to get that  farming  really isn't useful as a method of food production. 

get a bunch of berry bushes ,  done .   no farm plots , no seeds  , none of that stuff. 

The funny thing now is that meat is so easy to get that  farming  really isn't useful as a method of food production. 

Indeed, I'm in agreement. In RoG farms felt like an afterthought when I was building my base, which just seems super topsy turvy. But such is the way of things, I suppose.

Indeed, I'm in agreement. In RoG farms felt like an afterthought when I was building my base, which just seems super topsy turvy. But such is the way of things, I suppose.

They might be much less useful for ''food production'' purposes, but they are still useful if you want to selectively farm something, e.g. dragonfruit (dragonpie for health restoration), pumpkins (pumpkin cookies for sanity restoration), etc. We just don't need to build 45 of them anymore, which is a good thing !

I'm always occupied doing a bunch of stuff all day around to check farms, crockpots and racks, now they're always spoiled when I return to my base.

You may have plenty of choices to refill hunger with your small snacks on the new biomes, but the effective food that restores sanity and health are much harder to sustain.

I'm always occupied doing a bunch of stuff all day around to check farms, crockpots and racks, now they're always spoiled when I return to my base.

You may have plenty of choices to refill hunger with your small snacks on the new biomes, but the effective food that restores sanity and health are much harder to sustain.

Much harder to sustain = Good thing in my opinion. I don't like when good stuff are too easy to get, which unfortunately happens too often! I usually just wait for the pumpkin/dragonfruit to be nearly spoiled in the icebox before turning it into seeds, which I put back in the icebox. It's easier to preserve them that way throughout winter. You can just start planting them back during next spring and you should be fine sustaining the production.

But yeah, I agree with you that we now need to micromanage the food a bit more. Jerkys take 20 days to spoil so it's not much of a problem, you should be able to get back before they do and put them in the icebox, which will make them last much longer. I don't bother farming either, unless it's spring and I want to make a couple of dragonfruit/pumpkins quickly from their respective seeds (kept in an icebox). I only cook with crockpots when I am at my camp, during the night or something and put any extra food in the icebox before leaving =\

Archived