Killing the Dragonfly in melee - is it possible?

Is is possible to kill the Dragonfly in melee? The Bearger and the Goose are fairly easy to kite, and the Deerclops, while being a huge pain due to its big range, is also doable in melee. I'm having issues with the Dragonfly, however, since its attack range is considerably larger than the actual distance you need to be to trigger the attack (not to mention the attack speed is quite high), so I'm failing even at kiting it without attempting to counterattack. The overheating at proximity does not help, either :razz:.

Has anyone figured out a good way to kill it, sword 'n' board style?

yes.

but it is truly hack and slash approach :grin:

first:

battle arena made of cobblestones.this way there is nothing that can burn and damage you, and you'll get speed advantage.

second:

healing stuff, obviously.

third:

armors.

forget about kiting it is not really effective here, tank it instead.

once your heatlh is close to 25%, run away, heal and get back to killing.

repeat until it drops dead.

I get a heart attack whenever i try to kite deerclops, i always feel like its about to hit me even if it isnt.

As for the dragonfly, its pretty much impossible to kite him.

So... only gimmicky ways to kill it :/? I hate the idea of spending nitre in anything other than endothermic fires, and farming for a bunch of snowbird feathers throughout winter is just... meh.

So... only gimmicky ways to kill it :/? I hate the idea of spending nitre in anything other than endothermic fires, and farming for a bunch of snowbird feathers throughout winter is just... meh.

Blow darts, my friend. But if you dont have many bees in your world or set them to none or something, good luck.

I have done it twice.

There is a guide for it deep inside the forum. The point is to get some armor, some melee weapon and a hefty amounts of potions.

Kiting:

1. Attack him directly, this will cause him to do his aoe attack.

2. run towards him, do not hit him

3.run back, he will do his swing attack.

4. attack him 2 times

5. before he does his aoe damage, run back

6. rinse and repeat (skip step one in this point)

I have done it twice.

There is a guide for it deep inside the forum. The point is to get some armor, some melee weapon and a hefty amounts of potions.

Kiting:

1. Attack him directly, this will cause him to do his aoe attack.

2. run towards him, do not hit him

3.run back, he will do his swing attack.

4. attack him 2 times

5. before he does his aoe damage, run back

6. rinse and repeat (skip step one in this point)

Hmm, I'll try it again. As I mentioned, I was having trouble triggering the swing attack at a long enough range to escape it. I guess I just have to refine my timing, then.

You can kite it, you need some healing items at least 2x logsuit, football helmet, some honey bandages and spear, and lot of empty space or arena with 4 ice flings. 

Hit it once and run away, look at the claws, if claws have that sharp nails it will cause fire dmg to you if the claws don't have that sharp nails you can go hit it again. It takes lot of time and running around.

Dragonfly don't destroys structures directly like deerclops, it can only set them on fire.

Having experienced him before with another character, as my current Maxwell game I didn't want to try the melee, so I always carried a boomerang through winter and tried to get at least one feather a day average.  It doesn't seem so bad if you kind of do it at the end of the day during evening, rather than devoting entire days.   I also had the triple-McTusk zone very near, so over the course of the winter I hit those guys 3 times for a total 9 darts and I don't know how many teeth profit.   Could have probably hit them 2 more if I'd paid more attention to the time.  And I STILL never got the tam out of all nine of those McTusks!  At least I have a walking cane by both touchstones now.  Really wish there was some other use for those tusks.  Like a tusk-trap or something.   Basically between the hound teeth and feathers and ice, winter is very much about prepping for summer, for Maxwell and I

When it finds me.. Here is my strategy..

1 : Hit and Run !

Just a Fire Staff and Walking Cane. After first attack with the fire staff, i'll run to the swamp.

It will chase me (i hope..) And my old friends (tentacles, merms and spiders (maybe spider queen)) will take care of it..

Hey Chester want some popcorn ? :p

2 : Tooth Traps.

I dont know the tooth traps dealing damage to dragonfly but.. I'll try it on the swamp way.. 

I have 30-40 traps for the bosses near swamp.. Not enough for kill it. But i'm planning to finish him with my fighting skills..

I've got 2 %100 marble suites. So i'll slap it in the face :D

I hope.. 

When it finds me.. Here is my strategy..

1 : Hit and Run !

Just a Fire Staff and Walking Cane. After first attack with the fire staff, i'll run to the swamp.

It will chase me (i hope..) And my old friends (tentacles, merms and spiders (maybe spider queen)) will take care of it..

Hey Chester want some popcorn ? :razz:

2 : Tooth Traps.

I dont know the tooth traps dealing damage to dragonfly but.. I'll try it on the swamp way.. 

I have 30-40 traps for the bosses near swamp.. Not enough for kill it. But i'm planning to finish him with my fighting skills..

I've got 2 %100 marble suites. So i'll slap it in the face :grin:

I hope.. 

But the flame would quickly drain your health points, regardless of your suit.

In order to do the most damage to Dragonfly in the least amount of time and still live to tell the tale, you could either:

Tank him with a marble suit, football helmet and most importantly, the dark sword. It takes exactly 30 hits to kill him, which is the fastest with melee.

Or

Use a panflute on him to make him sleep, and when he does, plant 9 gunpowder next to him and light it up. After, just finish him with everything you got.

In order to do the most damage to Dragonfly in the least amount of time and still live to tell the tale, you could either:

Tank him with a marble suit, football helmet and most importantly, the dark sword. It takes exactly 30 hits to kill him, which is the fastest with melee.

Or

Use a panflute on him to make him sleep, and when he does, plant 9 gunpowder next to him and light it up. After, just finish him with everything you got.

Yea.. i think the easiest way is Pan Flute + Gunpowder..

Lets find a name for this strategy.. What about "Wake Up And Smell The POWDER !" :p

Is is possible to kill the Dragonfly in melee? The Bearger and the Goose are fairly easy to kite, and the Deerclops, while being a huge pain due to its big range, is also doable in melee. I'm having issues with the Dragonfly, however, since its attack range is considerably larger than the actual distance you need to be to trigger the attack (not to mention the attack speed is quite high), so I'm failing even at kiting it without attempting to counterattack. The overheating at proximity does not help, either :razz:.

Has anyone figured out a good way to kill it, sword 'n' board style?

It's possible indeed. You seem weren't try your best j/k.

There are currently only two boss who I can't tank and fight are Bearger and Dragonfly. I've had to use kiting strategy to deal with them, with only 2 hit per period.  And for the rest of boss, they took me 2 log suit(or better armour), 2 football helmet(or better armour) to being tank and being sparta. Note that not all of 4 items above were completely destroyed.

This is applied to all characters except Wes and Wendy. I haven't test them yet.

By the way, there are always a best and common way to kill the boss is luring them to tooth trap field

After much pain I managed to do it.

I followed the guide on this forum.

You must avoid his 3-hit AOE attack, when he pounds the floor. You must avoid it.

After he does his AOE attack, run in and hit him three times. You'll have to tank his swipe attack, which hurts but is survivable.

Then run away before he does his AOE. Keep repeating until he dies.

You need at least 2 log suits and a football helmet. And a good weapon. You need full health and high sanity, and bring some healing items too.

This fight is very tough. Otherwise just feed it ash until it goes to sleep and blow it up with a stack of 14 gunpowder.

You could try to make a Ice Staff and freeze it over and over, that might work, I personally haven't defeated him, I've only seen him on once, in my three summers I have been through... :D

You'll have to tank his swipe attack, which hurts but is survivable.

That's my issue with the dragonfly kiting techniques so far. If I take a hit in a fight, I consider it a failure. The only acceptable form of kiting is perfect kiting, the rest is an ugly compromise.

There must be a way...

I've got a way of dealing some considerable damage on it, at least:

Try using the panflute on it first, and then get as close as you possibly can to it, and ring the Old Bell.

Get Bigfoot to do the work for you (at least help considerably).

I don't know why you guys have to tank his swipe attack. I can be hit only because of my bad timing, not the kiting pattern
It seem I should describe more detail my pattern:

We should know well about his attack pattern first:
a. He does the aoe attack
b.Then one swipe attack
c. If he can track down the enemy, repeat a and b
d. If not, he become docile and wander around to burn something until being provoke, he repeat a, b, c

Below is my pattern:
1. If he does the aoe attack
=> run away
=> come back to him to bait him attack
2. He does the swipe attack
=> run away
=> comeback and hit him twice, you can't hit more than this.
=> continue run away to make him lost interest on you. My advise is run around instead of run direct, so he can't burn anything in his road while he is angry.
3. He is docile
=> hit him twice
4. This is the end of the loop. Repeat this.

Note that this is defensive kiting. If you want to be safe,use this, it will take a long time, otherwise you can remove the step run around to make him lost interest. But it will be a bit hard to timing right. I call this kinda offensive kiting. 

Sorry I'm too lazy to record a video, hope those WOT is clear enough to explain.

There's always 11 boomerangs. Just be sure to carry a miner's helmet to get through the night.

Archived