What Do You Want?

Hello,

I'm new to the community, I have been playing don't starve since the Insanity update and I love it.

Seeing how much content Klei has added to Don't Starve over the months is a lot. I feel like Klei almost doubles content per update in the early days. And I really enjoy the time Klei puts into Don't Starve(standalone)

Okay, now personally I feel RoG is kinda small. With the reputation Klei has given itself I was hoping for more overall content in the DLC. I feel the DLC is not really much more than just 2-3 free updates Klei offers. I love the DLC and have no regrets buying it. But I was hoping and looking forward for the elaboration Klei puts into updates for Don't Starve into RoG. I was hoping there would be more seasonal creatures, and there would be an alternative to caves for content. But overall I enjoy RoG, I hope it's not done yet.

Okay, so that's me.

I'm trying to get to know the Don't Starve community, so please post your concerns below about how you feel, try to be critical but not negative. I really look forward what your expectations where, and if they were met.

Bear in mind it's not entirely finished, so there may be a few more things coming.

Overall, I think it's a good sized DLC. It really fleshes out the game where it would drag on a bit with the seasons and gives you a harder time surviving, which is really what people seemed to want.

Part of it could just be the relative amount of content. As you said, in early days, the content practically doubled with each update, but back then there was much less content. Compared to the game as a whole, it might not seem as much, but that's because there's a lot more content now than back then.

If you count the bug fixing and new stuff that are pumping out every week, their efforts are colossal. If you started RoG in February, you would know how much this patch differed from the previous patch. They used to have an imbalanced wetness mechanism that put the entire forum into whining, so they had to recode everything for wetness (even the descriptions; there was a thing called wet wet pond :/). New mechanisms such as overheating, new mobs like warg and new biomes(desert+ deciduous ) require more than just 2-3 patches to set them right. Read the changelog for more details.

Anyways, I agree that there should be more seasonal creatures like salmon or grouse. In the other hand, too many of them make some mobs redundant and useless, leaving others overpowering. Striking balance is never an easy option.

I feel that the devs are trying to change the meta, from camping to a more normad life style, by introducing the seasonal giants and gloomer. Which, in my sense, is good. Normadic life-style is more exuberant, more adventurous, and definitely more appealing than turtling. 

Feel free to share your experience in Don't starve!

Bear in mind it's not entirely finished, so there may be a few more things coming.

Overall, I think it's a good sized DLC. It really fleshes out the game where it would drag on a bit with the seasons and gives you a harder time surviving, which is really what people seemed to want.

Part of it could just be the relative amount of content. As you said, in early days, the content practically doubled with each update, but back then there was much less content. Compared to the game as a whole, it might not seem as much, but that's because there's a lot more content now than back then.

I agree with everything you said. I hope the DLC is still in development. I enjoy the sieving struggle like you said also. But part of the problem is the game relying on some old mechanics. I wish there was different clothes not the same bunny muffs, winter hat, top hat, and so on. I also wish there was a replacement for armor not the same 4 as before(except Wigfrid) I wish they added new walls not the same 3 as before. I just feel like the DLC is just way to reliant on standalone content.

I agree with everything you said. I hope the DLC is still in development. I enjoy the sieving struggle like you said also. But part of the problem is the game relying on some old mechanics. I wish there was different clothes not the same bunny muffs, winter hat, top hat, and so on. I also wish there was a replacement for armor not the same 4 as before(except Wigfrid) I wish they added new walls not the same 3 as before. I just feel like the DLC is just way to reliant on standalone content.

Several notes:

1.You should check the rain coat, melon hat and the ice cube. They are hilarious. 

2.Btw, there is a new armor in DLC. I don't think the devs want to revamp the armor cus they are well balanced

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Scalemail

3.Walls don't have any use, other than making a meat grinder/panic room. Making more than 3 (actually 4 if you count the thulecite wall), is redundant. Perhaps... You didn't get the allusion of the three walls, did you?

hint hint 

three little pigs

Anyways, I agree that there should be more seasonal creatures like salmon or grouse. In the other hand, too many of them make some mobs redundant and useless, leaving others overpowering. Striking balance is never an easy option.

I feel that the devs are trying to change the meta, from camping to a more normad life style, by introducing the seasonal giants and gloomer. Which, in my sense, is good. Normadic life-style is more exuberant, more adventurous, and definitely more appealing than turtling.

Feel free to share your experience in Don't starve!

I could see a more nomadic bias with RoG. Especially with Wigfrid. Also do you know if the Devs plan on adding any more characters to the DLC.

I could see a more nomadic bias with RoG. Especially with Wigfrid. Also do you know if the Devs plan on adding any more characters to the DLC.

The only new characters new to the game from the DLC are Wigfrid and Webber, so other than those, no.

3.Walls don't have any use, other than making a meat grinder/panic room. Making more than 3 (actually 4 if you count the thulecite wall), is redundant. Perhaps... You didn't get the allusion of the three walls, did you?

hint hint

three little pigs

I understand. But I didn't mean add walls. I ment change walls. Maybe like bone walls that are strong against giants, or something similar. And with the clothes I didn't mean to add more, I met change them.

I understand. But I didn't mean add walls. I ment change walls. Maybe like bone walls that are strong against giants, or something similar. And with the clothes I didn't mean to add more, I met change them.

Why do so when it doesnt need to be changed? (Or at least, most of them don't need to be changed)

Why do so when it doesnt need to be changed? (Or at least, most of them don't need to be changed)

The original wall mechanics were not designed for the kind of impact that giants have. There just may need something new/different/change for walls in place. The DLC is at the moment to reliant on some old mechanics that I was hoping that would be different in the DLC. I was hoping to play the game not having to build the same top hat, winter hat, bunny ear muffs, same walls. Yes the DLC is great. It's just still to much reliant on old stuff I was hoping for new stuff.

I still don't get it :/

The 3 little pigs.

One made his house out of hay/ sticks (can remember) (grass walls)

One made his house out of wood (wooden walls)

and one made his house out of bricks/ stone (stone walls)

Sorry if i got a thing or 2 wrong but that's pretty much it ( i think anyway)

The original wall mechanics were not designed for the kind of impact that giants have. There just may need something new/different/change for walls in place. The DLC is at the moment to reliant on some old mechanics that I was hoping that would be different in the DLC. I was hoping to play the game not having to build the same top hat, winter hat, bunny ear muffs, same walls. Yes the DLC is great. It's just still to much reliant on old stuff I was hoping for new stuff.

Using old stuff in new places is not always a bad thing.

The 3 little pigs.

One made his house out of hay/ sticks (can remember) (grass walls)

One made his house out of wood (wooden walls)

and one made his house out of bricks/ stone (stone walls)

Sorry if i got a thing or 2 wrong but that's pretty much it ( i think anyway)

I just read up on it. I never actually heard the story of the three little pigs, so I guess that's why I didn't understand.

I never said it was bad I don't think. I wasn't up to my expectations that's all. What do you think about the DLC?

Sorry, bad was probably not the right word for it.

Mostly good, but i have to set the Dragonfly (and birchnut guards) both to none to get most of the enjoyment. Since if you encounter the dragonfly, you're pretty much dead, almost always no chance. Not to mention you have to deal with summer heat at the same time. (Since it can set nearby things on fire, that means you will get even more heat to deal with sometimes) My expectations were medium, but most of it exceeded my expectations.

Sorry, bad was probably not the right word for it.

Mostly good, but i have to set the Dragonfly (and birchnut guards) both to none to get most of the enjoyment. Since if you encounter the dragonfly, you're pretty much dead, almost always no chance. Not to mention you have to deal with summer heat at the same time. (Since it can set nearby things on fire, that means you will get even more heat to deal with sometimes) My expectations were medium, but most of it exceeded my expectations.

I agree with you on the guardians and dragonfly, I wish there was a limit to how many would spawn at a time. And honestly the stuff they added blew my expectations. It's just the stuff they used from the standalone I thought was excessive and thought Klei could do just a little better.

I agree with you on the guardians and dragonfly, I wish there was a limit to how many would spawn at a time. And honestly the stuff they added blew my expectations. It's just the stuff they used from the standalone I thought was excessive and thought Klei could do just a little better.

Yep, deerclops was hard, but at least it was possible. Well, the dragonfly is possible too, but its really hard.

Archived