Surviving my first summer...

I am currently in the fourth day of my first summer(I play DS with DLC) and I am having difficulty in keeping low temperature.

I made fire pit(the one which gives cold) but I don't have anything too cool me why I'm outside my camp and I need to travelfar to get some food. Any advice how to survive in the heat? I don't have any ice near me, not even see one yet(day 25 and I have exploread a huge part of map).

P.S. To all who have seen my topic about pirate version... I already got the DLC on steam and I don't regreat it :)

I am currently in the fourth day of my first summer(I play DS with DLC) and I am having difficulty in keeping low temperature.

I made fire pit(the one which gives cold) but I don't have anything too cool me why I'm outside my camp and I need to travelfar to get some food. Any advice how to survive in the heat? I don't have any ice near me, not even see one yet(day 25 and I have exploread a huge part of map).

P.S. To all who have seen my topic about pirate version... I already got the DLC on steam and I don't regreat it :-)

Glaciers melt within a few days of Spring starting, so you're probably out of luck there. Craft a thermal stone and use it by your endothermic fires until you can craft an ice box to keep it cold. Also, a fashion melon will help keep the temp down. Next winter collect a lot of ice and craft an ice cube. Good luck  :encouragement:

Make a straw hat, a pretty parasol and a heat stone, that should help with medium travel distances. Also try to have that fire always lit if its not a fire pit, otherwise you might run out of materials to rebuild it.

You probably dont have the ice to do it now, but next time you get to winter stock up on ice, put it in a icebox (it never decays there) build a ice cube hat when summer comes, it will help with the heat a LOT. You can also repair it with ice, so make sure you bring a lot. You can survive summer without doing this, but it's much harder.

Make a straw hat, a pretty parasol and a heat stone, that should help with medium travel distances. Also try to have that fire always lit if its not a fire pit, otherwise you might run out of materials to rebuild it.

Or use hammer on  the endothermic fire, as soon as your thermal stone is cooled down, this returns most of the materials used to build it

if you want to explore cool down thermal stone to the point you'll be freezing at the end of the night

w/ straw hat and petty parasol you'll be able to travel almost whole daytime this way, then simply make a new endotherimic pit.

5-6 "cooling pitstops" should be enough for whole map on default settings.

if you want to explore cool down thermal stone to the point you'll be freezing at the end of the night

w/ straw hat and petty parasol you'll be able to travel almost whole daytime this way, then simply make a new endotherimic pit.

5-6 "cooling pitstops" should be enough for whole map on default settings.

That's a brillant idea! But... I don't have enought stones, and stones are far away from my base right now. I didn't know that there is summer in the game. It took me by suprise... :-) I am dead fu****g serious.

That's a brillant idea! But... I don't have enought stones, and stones are far away from my base right now. I didn't know that there is summer in the game. It took me by suprise... :-) I am dead fu****g serious.

Thermal stone is not as good as it is during winter since there is pretty much only one stage (which is the freezing stage) where it lowers your heat level but it can still help. I might be wrong though.

Thermal stone is not as good as it is during winter since there is pretty much only one stage (which is the freezing stage) where it lowers your heat level but it can still help. I might be wrong though.

Actually the thermal stone has five stages two for cold and two for heat, both of them are equal in terms of temperature changing.

Actually the thermal stone has five stages two for cold and two for heat, both of them are equal in terms of temperature changing.

Well, from my understanding the two cold stages give you a very small amount of heat, except the lowest stage which makes you pretty much freeze. But i'm probably just being a idiot right now.

it lowers your heat until it reaches "warming" phase one.

even then, there is still some time before overheating will kick in.

i've happily lived all summer using this combo w/o ice hat

if you lack stones for more endothermic pits, get some healing stuff, run as fast as you can to the area where rocks are, once heating stone will warm up toss in on the ground and start mining.

heat may damage you, but there is a difference between damaged and dead :)

Well, from my understanding the two cold stages give you a very small amount of heat, except the lowest stage which makes you pretty much freeze. But i'm probably just being a idiot right now.

I think you are talking about the old thermal stone, now the first stage of cold helps you survive the heat until it gets to the neutral level or a heat stage, the first level of heat works equally but for cold and I think is the same as in the vanilla version.

The level two cold stage can lower your temperature to freezing levels as you said.

I think you are talking about the old thermal stone, now the first stage of cold helps you survive the heat until it gets to the neutral level or a heat stage, the first level of heat works equally but for cold and I think is the same as in the vanilla version.

The level two cold stage can lower your temperature to freezing levels as you said.

Well then, i read the heat levels each one gave you on the wiki, and it only said the coldest stage gave you less heat. Then again, the title of the article is still heat stone despite reign of giants, but i'm perfectly fine with the title of it still being heat stone since it is only changed in reign of giants. All i saw in the reign of giants section was it saying it was renamed to thermal stone which is correct, but the last time i saw it was a while ago so i am probably wrong.

Good tips here for surviving summer - I am struggling, and I have a few more related questions.

1.) I find that I go into the damaging-level of heat even with a frozen heat stone. As in, I'm taking damage, but when I look at my heat stone, it still shows it on the coldest setting Has that been anyone else's experience?

2.) Also, is it possible to grow crops at all in the summer? Or do they go straight from planted to withered? I'm trying to figure out how to grow watermelon.

3.) Does anyone know if glaciers are a finite resource? If I chop a bunch up in spring to get ready for summer, what happens next spring?

Thanks in advance!!!

A few tips:

(1) Stock up on ice, and find cacti before summer

(2) Make a watermelon farm using two advanced farms and protect them using an ice-flingomatic

(3) Go to the cacti on the first day of summer so it will be easier to combat the heat

(4) (Very Important) Avoid areas with high densities of flammable objects

(5) If you do not have any way of obtaining cooling items, make a straw hat, umbrella, thermal stone, and make paths with trees to important areas

Good tips here for surviving summer - I am struggling, and I have a few more related questions.

1.) I find that I go into the damaging-level of heat even with a frozen heat stone. As in, I'm taking damage, but when I look at my heat stone, it still shows it on the coldest setting Has that been anyone else's experience?

2.) Also, is it possible to grow crops at all in the summer? Or do they go straight from planted to withered? I'm trying to figure out how to grow watermelon.

3.) Does anyone know if glaciers are a finite resource? If I chop a bunch up in spring to get ready for summer, what happens next spring?

Thanks in advance!!!

1.) I've never had this experience, it is most likely a graphical glitch

2.) Ice flingomatics keep plants from withering, and using manure/rot before they wither is a good way if you are unable to obtain ice

3.) Ice respawns near pengull nests

Archived