This DLC is a joke

-The bosses are completely WILSON and WILSON, you have to WILSON them to actually play the game. Died 5 times to the WILSON badger, he just spawns next to you, and starts chasing you until you are WILSON on day 10.k the liberty to edit .

-WHY is everything here so WILSON? Did the original programmers sell this to some WILSONS?

I would love a Wilson DLC with the Wilson badger and some Wilson mechanics to transform into Wilson, I don't mind everything being so Wilson.

First of all I would like to express my disappointment with the general attitude of Don't Starve's community. 

On the one hand we have peope whinning in a really bad manner about a game that they know was advertised as 'An Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game' and on the other one we have so-called 'Troll hunters' that are so ignorant in their view on how the gameplay should look like that they ridicule anyone who disagrees with them. Slapping a 'troll' sticker is just intellectual lazyness. I understand that that's alwyas easier to do it than start a real discussion.

Personally I was attracted to this game because it was promised to be hard and it delivered. Almost all of the sandbox titles suffer from a serious desgin problem. As there is no set goal you quickly get borred after doing all the stuff that there was to do. In Don't Starve you have the freedom to play in various ways while still having this feeling of danger which influences your decisions and keeps you busy. The moment that things start to go easy boredom kicks in so I am happy to welcome all of the changes that prolong the entertaining feeling of struggle with the wilderness.

"Hey, what new thing could we add?"

"Uuuuh.. i dont know... how about the winter thing we already have?"

"But... we already have that..."

"Yea, but now... we will make it... BACKWARDS!"

"GEEEENIUS!!!"

"We also should add sudden combustion of the entire base!"

"Oh... stop it! You are making me so %§&$!!!"

Really sad how a bunch of kids on the workshop come up with better things... Pathetic...

That's a really childish way of expressing your opisions about the game. Don't expect to be treated fair on this forum after bashing the game and people who created it like that.

Why do make people on the workshop make MUCH better things for free, then the actuall programmers, do for money?

Those 'acruall programmers' made the game easily moddable so you can also enjoy unofficial content. Not all game companies do that. That's an argument aknowleging their good work and not the other way around. Contributing fans always outnumber the devs so it's not surprising that after a while you might find more interesting content that is free. Still it's all made on the shoulders of those who made the original and you can't give credit to modders without giving it to the core developers.

Professional programmers work for money. What did you expect? I don't remember Klei being part of some social program. I sense a disturbing feeling of entitlement in you.

- The bosses are completely idiotic and broken, you have to disable them to actually play the game. Died 5 times to the idiotic badger, he just spawns next to you, and starts chasing you until you are dead on day 10.

- Summer is just stupid, now you can't just "play the game" anymore, now you have to deal with those dumb "season mechanics" that kept you in your base at winter... ALL THE TIME!!!

- Extinguishing fire makes the "smoldering" thing explode and burn down your base.

- Ice flingers miss fire, had FIVE flingers, and my base burnt down...

- EVERYTIME i mow down one of those new trees, about 50% of the surrounding trees turn into guardians, i NEVER got a single tree without spawning about 5 or more guardians... WTF???

It's the 'early access' to Don't Starve's beta. If you bother to write something about the current state of the game then why not use some constructive criticism? Avoid using words such as 'idiotic', 'stupid' and 'dumb'. It's hard to defend your position when you do that. You pack your thread with many issues that might have some merit in them but they get obscured by your screams of frustration.

Your experiance is your experiance. Noone can't argue with the fact that you couldn't deal with some of the monsters and situations in this expansion. Noone can say that you didn't get annoyed with getting killed X times.

I think that you need to reassess your ideas and reformulate them. Write them down after calming down and do it politely. You might even provide some solutions on how to fix those issues instead of just complaining. I would also advise to break your report into few threads (one for the 'overpowered' bosses, one for the 'ice flingers') so that none of problems gets missed. I guarantee you'll have better chances in influencing the development of Don't Starve's beta.

Good luck.

You need 5 posts to edit a post, apparently. 

On the off chance that you're not a troll, a good idea with criticism is to be specific in what is bad and offer a solution. That's what makes an angry rant into constructive criticism.

So. Go ahead. Readdress each of your points and give a possible solution. Removing a feature for no reason does not count as a solution without good justification, by the way.

I fund the original game pretty easy, and dying is part of the learning curve. In sandbox type games you tend to do the same things over and over again in some sense, but the knowledge you acquire is the differentiating factor. So maybe the adding difficulty is intended.

If you don't like something in this game, and just want to relax, you can edit your world to make it more vanilla and enjoying the new character, or even play the original and regretting buying, but please try to be polite. It's part of life being frustrated, you can't change that, but ask yourself how much you loss with those 4 bucks. Make a kickstarter for your cause or something, I'll repay you if you want.

I personally enjoy a lot the DLC and the game in general, and the effort klei makes in making it better deserves a lot more respect IMHO than the words you shared with us.

First of all I would like to express my disappointment with the general attitude of Don't Starve's community. 

On the one hand we have peope whinning in a really bad manner about a game that they know was advertised as 'An Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game' and on the other one we have so-called 'Troll hunters' that are so ignorant in their view on how the gameplay should look like that they ridicule anyone who disagrees with them. Slapping a 'troll' sticker is just intellectual lazyness. I understand that that's alwyas easier to do it than start a real discussion.

Personally I was attracted to this game because it was promised to be hard and it delivered. Almost all of the sandbox titles suffer from a serious desgin problem. As there is no set goal you quickly get borred after doing all the stuff that there was to do. In Don't Starve you have the freedom to play in various ways while still having this feeling of danger which influences your decisions and keeps you busy. The moment that things start to go easy boredom kicks in so I am happy to welcome all of the changes that prolong the entertaining feeling of struggle with the wilderness.

That's a really childish way of expressing your opisions about the game. Don't expect to be treated fair on this forum after bashing the game and people who created it like that.

Those 'acruall programmers' made the game easily moddable so you can also enjoy unofficial content. Not all game companies do that. That's an argument aknowleging their good work and not the other way around. Contributing fans always outnumber the devs so it's not surprising that after a while you might find more interesting content that is free. Still it's all made on the shoulders of those who made the original and you can't give credit to modders without giving it to the core developers.

Professional programmers work for money. What did you expect? I don't remember Klei being part of some social program. I sense a disturbing feeling of entitlement in you.

It's the 'early access' to Don't Starve's beta. If you bother to write something about the current state of the game then why not use some constructive criticism? Avoid using words such as 'idiotic', 'stupid' and 'dumb'. It's hard to defend your position when you do that. You pack your thread with many issues that might have some merit in them but they get obscured by your screams of frustration.

Your experiance is your experiance. Noone can't argue with the fact that you couldn't deal with some of the monsters and situations in this expansion. Noone can say that you didn't get annoyed with getting killed X times.

I think that you need to reassess your ideas and reformulate them. Write them down after calming down and do it politely. You might even provide some solutions on how to fix those issues instead of just complaining. I would also advise to break your report into few threads (one for the 'overpowered' bosses, one for the 'ice flingers') so that none of problems gets missed. I guarantee you'll have better chances in influencing the development of Don't Starve's beta.

Good luck.

While I agree with most of what you said, OP's entire post history is in this thread, his every post is incendiary, and he refused to reply to people in a way in which he acknowledges their post. I'm not slapping a troll sticker on him because I'm lazy, I'm slapping a troll sticker on him because I've been around the internet, and it's not hard to spot a troll when I see one. Remember; a troll's purpose is to incite anger and confusion. This is done by using purposely inconsistent logic, steering the conversation in a different direction when people point out simple reasoning flaws within his post, and by, as I mentioned, being incendiary. This behavior typically includes ignoring any posts which counter his productively. These signs may lead one to assume the poster is simply an idiot and/or just plain unpleasant, there is a difference. Remember, we have had people in the community who resemble OP, but I didn't slap a troll sticker on them, did I? While OP isn't a good troll (a good troll wouldn't be so obvious), he IS a troll nonetheless.

If you still disagree, sorry. I still say OP is an obvious troll.

Dear Sir Mr. Ninethousand, people like you are exactly why I usually stay away from forums and comment sections of any kind. The only reason I've consistently stayed on these forums and kept on being active is because there were no people like you. I sincerely hope that you stay as the only one of your kind. Thank you for your time.

"OMG THEY MADE DON'T STARVE HARDER, WTF?"

...Really dude? Its SUPPOSED to be hard. Klei weren't expecting first time buyers to immediately get the DLC, and thats how it should be.

I got the dlc after I clocked about 120 hours on the game, and knew the ins and outs of the game. My interest hadn't even faded away and they rekindled my excitement about Don't Starve. It was a welcome change/challenge.

I have a feeling you have only played a small amount of the game, yes?

To the only guys that contributed something non retarded...

No, you can't edit your world once you are playing, if you forgot to disable ONE of the 10 game breaking mechanisms, your game is pretty much already deleted...

Also...

Before the DLC i usually never died, sometimes close, but i can't even remember when i actually lost my game to... something that is NOT "suicide to get new patch content". With the DLC and nothing disabled, i can't survive 20 days... so much for ANY comparing of those two... It's not harder, it's just unplayable. There is nothing you can do against the bosses or the heat. Bosses just charge you, even if you don't do anything to anger them, and the heat can't be countered properly because the ice flingers are complete ****... Also... whoever drew the endothermic firepit... it gives me eye cancer... seriously, is there a part missing? Looks like some kind of optical illusion... it's kina a circle on the floor, like a firepit... but when you look closer, it's not round and not flat on the ground... wtf?

Also... whoever drew the endothermic firepit... it gives me eye cancer... seriously, is there a part missing? Looks like some kind of optical illusion... it's kina a circle on the floor, like a firepit... but when you look closer, it's not round and not flat on the ground... wtf?

Okay, that was kinda funny. I love how serious you are!

The following passages are part of a single piece taken from an online comment board.

Consider the author's direction for the opening paragraph:

I am very disappointed with this DLC.

Why do make people on the workshop make MUCH better things for free, then the actuall programmers, do for money?

There is not a SINGLE good new thing in the DLC.

1. Do these first sentences properly convey why the author is upset?

2. What sort of mood do the author's first words set for the rest of the piece?

3. Does the author have any sort of dialect to his writing? If so, from where may he be?

Consider the author's word choice:

- The bosses are completely idiotic and broken, you have to disable them to actually play the game. Died 5 times to the idiotic badger, he just spawns next to you, and starts chasing you until you are dead on day 10.

- Summer is just stupid, now you can't just "play the game" anymore, now you have to deal with those dumb "season mechanics" that kept you in your base at winter... ALL THE TIME!!!

- Extinguishing fire makes the "smoldering" thing explode and burn down your base.

- Ice flingers miss fire, had FIVE flingers, and my base burnt down...

- EVERYTIME i mow down one of those new trees, about 50% of the surrounding trees turn into guardians, i NEVER got a single tree without spawning about 5 or more guardians... WTF???

1. The author uses the word "idiotic" frequently. What does it likely symbolize in this piece?

2. How do the bullet point contribute or detract from the flow of the work?

3. In what ways do the capitalized words contribute to or conflict with the tone of the author's intent?

Consider the author's fictional dialogue:

"Hey, what new thing could we add?"

"Uuuuh.. i dont know... how about the winter thing we already have?"

"But... we already have that..."

"Yea, but now... we will make it... BACKWARDS!"

"GEEEENIUS!!!"

"We also should add sudden combustion of the entire base!"

"Oh... stop it! You are making me so %§&$!!!"

1. Who likely is speaking here?

2. How would the dynamic of the exchange alter if there were a third participant?

3. What do the frequent ellipses tell about what's going on in the minds of the speakers?

Consider the author's closing:

Really sad how a bunch of kids on the workshop come up with better things... Pathetic...

1. Does this properly close the author's case or does he intentionally leave it open ended?

2. Does the author actually mean "kids" or is he alluding to something more?

3. How do you feel after reading this piece?

No, you can't edit your world once you are playing, if you forgot to disable ONE of the 10 game breaking mechanisms, your game is pretty much already deleted...

Also...

Before the DLC i usually never died, sometimes close, but i can't even remember when i actually lost my game to... something that is NOT "suicide to get new patch content". With the DLC and nothing disabled, i can't survive 20 days... so much for ANY comparing of those two... It's not harder, it's just unplayable. There is nothing you can do against the bosses or the heat. Bosses just charge you, even if you don't do anything to anger them, and the heat can't be countered properly because the ice flingers are complete ****... Also... whoever drew the endothermic firepit... it gives me eye cancer... seriously, is there a part missing? Looks like some kind of optical illusion... it's kina a circle on the floor, like a firepit... but when you look closer, it's not round and not flat on the ground... wtf?

While I don't approve of the word retarded, unfortunately it describes your level of intellect indicated by every one of your posts, and could be a serious contender for why you are so bad at this game.

Can someone please lock this thread? This ****** is wasting everyone's time with nothing constructive to add, just a lot of bitching. Pretty please ?

Also...

Before the DLC i usually never died, sometimes close, but i can't even remember when i actually lost my game to... something that is NOT "suicide to get new patch content". With the DLC and nothing disabled, i can't survive 20 days... so much for ANY comparing of those two... It's not harder, it's just unplayable. There is nothing you can do against the bosses or the heat. Bosses just charge you, even if you don't do anything to anger them, and the heat can't be countered properly because the ice flingers are complete ****... 

News Flash: The game is supposed to be hard. It does its job perfectly if you're dying.

Heat isn't hard to counter. Heck, if it's too hard for you, one minute on the internet will give you all the answers:

Endothermic Fire, Endothermic Firepit, Ice, Ice Cube, Chilled Amulet, Fashion Melon, Pretty Parasol, Umbrella, Thremal Stone, Caves, Trees, Down Thermantidote.

Archived