Wargs part of Hound Attacks - multiplayer balance idea included OPTION 4

Should Wargs accompany Hounds during a Hound Attack?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

@Grimr thanks mate :)

Good thinking a few monster meat and few hound tooth would be ok, as obviously if you have all those hounds plus 1 or 2 Vargs you'll be swimming in monster meat and hound teeth. I think I suggested 1-2 hound tooth and 3-5 monster meat. Maybe 1-2 of both would be better?

Thoughts?

Off topic

In regards to Vargs spawning at the end of tracks. Personally a unique drop would be welcoming. I did suggest a new type of boomerang called the Tootherang. Has more uses but deals slightly less damage than the regular one would be a good trade off. But that's a suggestion for another thread and not really relevant to my idea.

I've added this to the Original post but for convenience here it is again:

Reading the comments here and I can only guess that most of the votes for "No" is based on the challenge of Vargs being too tough. Well if I take @DwerBomb chance suggestion further would it be more appealing?

Getting to 100 is definitely a challenge right. So how about ONLY after every 100 days, you start to get Vargs spawning in hound attacks?

So after day 100 you get a measly 10% chance of a Varg spawning in regular hound attacks. Day 200 you get a 20% of spawning a Varg and a 10% chance of spawning 2 Vargs. Day 300 it levels off at 30% for one Varg and 15% of getting 2 Vargs.

DAY 100+ = 10% chance of 1 Varg

DAY 200+ = 20% chance of 1 Varg + 10% of 2 Vargs

DAY 300+ = 30% chance of 1 Varg + 15% of 2 Vargs

Levels off here.

This will keep late game fresh and interesting, plus give you an "extra" thing to do. By then you should be cruising anyway.

If you think about it this will enable you guys to stock up on lots of resources to build traps to counter hounds and Vargs. By day 100 if you don't have a defence system set up, you are definitely not playing Don't Starve right, so no excuses. Also this takes into consideration @TheKingofSquirrels concern about keeping Vargs unique and not over seen/abused.

What are your thoughts? If you voted No, would this change your mind? If you voted Yes, would this make things even better or not?

Who thinks 1-2 Wargs should accompany Hounds when we get the normal hound attacks. Obviously early days Wargs won't spawn during a Hound attack, but as you survive longer the chance of a Warg spawning with Hounds increase. Wargs accompanying Hounds during a Hounds attack DO NOT spawn more hounds.

This is just a rough idea of when and how many might spawn.

Day 50-99 1 Warg spawns

Day 100+ 2 Warg spawns

Your thoughts?

Edit: I particularly like this idea, suggested by @DwerBomb. A chance system would keep things interesting and fresh at all times. The sense of relief when a Warg doesn't show up and that sense of excitement combined with fear when one does spawn with Hounds will be priceless.

Edit 2: This is an awesome idea, suggested by @The Letter W! In World customisation, having a separate option to toggle Vargs spawning in regular hound attacks on and off would be great. For those who are against the idea would this be something that would interest you?

What does everyone think?

Edit 3:

Reading the comments here and I can only guess that most of the votes for "No" is based on the challenge of Vargs being too tough. Well if I take @DwerBomb chance suggestion further would it be more appealing?

Getting to 100 is definitely a challenge right. So how about ONLY after every 100 days, you start to get Vargs spawning in hound attacks?

So after day 100 you get a measly 10% chance of a Varg spawning in regular hound attacks. Day 200 you get a 20% of spawning a Varg and a 10% chance of spawning 2 Vargs. Day 300 it levels off at 30% for one Varg and 15% of getting 2 Vargs.

DAY 100+ = 10% chance of 1 Varg

DAY 200+ = 20% chance of 1 Varg + 10% of 2 Vargs

DAY 300+ = 30% chance of 1 Varg + 15% of 2 Vargs

Levels off here.

This will keep late game fresh and interesting, plus give you an "extra" thing to do. By then you should be cruising anyway.

If you think about it this will enable you guys to stock up on lots of resources to build traps to counter hounds and Vargs. By day 100 if you don't have a defence system set up, you are definitely not playing Don't Starve right, so no excuses. Also this takes into consideration @TheKingofSquirrels concern about keeping Vargs unique and not over seen/abused.

What are your thoughts?

I honestly don´t see the point. It doesn´t add much of a challenge, the Varg will just die with the rest of the hounds, either by my traps or Beefalo. The only reason the Varg posses a challenge at the moment, is because when you track a Koalefant, you are a away from your base and your defenses.

I also still feel that it´s kind of lazy repeating a mob, even if it is after Day 100. 

@TheKingofSquirrels yeah but you said you dislike having tracked Vargs spawn Hounds, there is no way I can change your mind lol.

@NeoDeusMachina I sense dark magic here. It can only mean one thing. The end of the WORLD!!!

I´m just saying without that in mind (forgetting the whole hound spawning Vargs thing), I still don´t see the point.

I don´t think it´s going to keep the game fresh, the novelty is going to get boring after a few times. And like I said, if you can deal with hounds after Day 100, then you can deal with a Varg without breaking a sweat.

Just to be clear, I´m not one of those people who doesn´t like this idea because it makes the game harder. I love a challenge, I just don´t see this one adding anything to the game.

@TheKingofSquirrels but doesn't the novelty of seeing the same thing during regular hound attacks wear off?

Yeah, but adding something else won´t change that. Like when they added Summer and Winter hounds to mix things up...Did it work? Nope, It´s still the same and now you want to add something else to mix things up (again) with the Varg...And after a while you´ll get bored of the Varg too just like you got bored of the Snow/Fire hounds. And then you´ll want to add another thing! Like hounds with wings or something, and then you´ll get bored of that too! It never ends...

Point is, hound attacks are not a very interesting, simply because they are repetitive. Adding something to that repetitive cycle won´t change anything. It will just make whatever you added, in this case the Varg, just as boring as hounds. I rather Vargs stay special and interesting.

Yeah, but adding something else won´t change that. Like when they added Summer and Winter hounds to mix things up...Did it work? Nope, It´s still the same and now you want to add something else to mix thing up (again) with the Varg...And after a while you´ll get bored of the Varg too just like you got bored of the Snow/Fire hounds. And then you´ll want to add another thing! Like hounds with wings or something, and then you´ll get bored of that too! It never ends...

Point is, hound attacks are not a very interesting, simply because they are repetitive. Adding something to that repetitive cycle won´t change anything. It will just make whatever you added, in this case the Varg, just as boring as hounds. I rather Vargs stay special and interesting.

Well I personally like the addition of blue hounds being added in spring. The option to allow Vargs to spawn in regular hound attacks makes perfect sense and feels natural. We already have Vargs and Hounds spawn together during tracking so again it won't be anything new.

Your argument could apply to nearly everything in game. Eventually the novelty of seeing and dealing with the new bosses will wear off, the novelty of going into the caves will wear off, the novelty of seeing or doing anything a set number of times will all wear off.

But the fact I love Don't Starve so much I'll keep coming back to it.

Yea sure that's a good idea. The fact is that there is no way it's going to be implemented...

...like the sombrero didn't.

ç^ç

Well best to always stay positive. If the developers think it would work, I'm sure they would add it. If not then obviously they have their reasons.

But I want to know some more reasons why people are against it. If only there was an option to leave a short message explaining why someone voted No. I could then maybe make changes to suit everyone's needs.

I have to agree with an earlier poster that hound attacks every 3 days is just way too frequent and a tedious means of making the game harder. I would really like to see more unique attacks starting past the 100 day mark and less frequent. Something that poses a serious threat, is random, and doesn't just make the game a a job of hound exterminator every 3 days.

I have to agree with an earlier poster that hound attacks every 3 days is just way too frequent and a tedious means of making the game harder. I would really like to see more unique attacks starting past the 100 day mark and less frequent. Something that poses a serious threat, is random, and doesn't just make the game a a job of hound exterminator every 3 days.

Does Edit 3 help with that?

I must say, I like what I see)) It'd be definitely more interesting and challenging to play with this implemented. And if combined with a new interesting drop for Varg we are debating on in the other thread - would be even more awesome.

If I'm reading it correctly it mentions nothing of changing the timing of the attacks just the possibility of vargs / double varg with some slight randomnesss to the varg spawns. All this means really is more hounds :(

My biggest issue is why does it always have to be hounds? We know the problem we know the solution and we even know the timing. Why not a mix of mobs or completly different hostile mobs or maybe even a giant out of season.

Truthfully though this boils down to people just liking certain things over others in a game. I personally enjoy variety and spotaneous challenges over what we have now with the hounds is all.

I guess I can't edit my post? I re-read your entire post and I'm assuming your edit 3 also has the caveat "Vargs will not spawn more hounds". This doesn't really increase the challenge as you'll just clean up the hounds in usual fashion then deal with a gimped Varg or two. I like how the varg currently works. When I'm usually searching the tracks, I really want that extra meat to show up and then Bam Varg there to ruin my day even further. It keeps the game a little more fresh but its always in the back of my mind I might spawn said Varg. Ideally I would just avoid this if I wanted to survive with no risk, but fortunately that is not always possible.

All this means really is more hounds :(

Wait a sec. Where did you read that? I explicitly stated countless times Vargs won't have the ability to spawn hounds when Vargs spawn in regular hound attacks.

My biggest issue is why does it always have to be hounds? We know the problem we know the solution and we even know the timing. Why not a mix of mobs or completly different hostile mobs or maybe even a giant out of season.

Vargs are the obvious choice. It suits the "leader/alpha male" role of hounds very well.

Truthfully though this boils down to people just liking certain things over others in a game. I personally enjoy variety and spotaneous challenges over what we have now with the hounds is all.

Overall this will make the regular hound attacks more challenging and unexpecting. Instead of knowing when a hound attack is imminent, we will always be unsure if a Varg will spawn or not. So we won't always be sure how to deal with hound attacks. Do you risk straying away from base? Will you need extra protection? Vargs spawning in regular hound attacks will add to the tense uncertain nature of regular hound attacks.

Most of us are experienced players, but that doesn't mean we don't need to feel that same sense of excitement the new players feel every time they experience something new.

Edit:

I guess I can't edit my post? I re-read your entire post and I'm assuming your edit 3 also has the caveat "Vargs will not spawn more hounds". This doesn't really increase the challenge as you'll just clean up the hounds in usual fashion then deal with a gimped Varg or two. I like how the varg currently works. When I'm usually searching the tracks, I really want that extra meat to show up and then Bam Varg there to ruin my day even further. It keeps the game a little more fresh but its always in the back of my mind I might spawn said Varg. Ideally I would just avoid this if I wanted to survive with no risk, but fortunately that is not always possible.

it doesn't really need to be a challenge. Eventually everything in game will become easier the more we get use to things. This suggestion will make things more unexpecting and tense. Don't Starve is about uncertainty, Vargs having the chance to spawn in hound attacks is just one way of adding to that.

I appreciate what you are trying to do with this as a whole with creating something unexpected and more tense for late game. However, would you jump to a gimped Varg (basically just a meaner beefalo) as your first choice?

When I say randomness I mean randomness, I don't want to know what is going to happen to me in the late game. It is possible this just can't happen with the code in place but you never know. I'm all for new ideas!

I appreciate what you are trying to do with this as a whole with creating something unexpected and more tense for late game. However, would you jump to a gimped Varg (basically just a meaner beefalo) as your first choice?

When I say randomness I mean randomness, I don't want to know what is going to happen to me in the late game. It is possible this just can't happen with the code in place but you never know. I'm all for new ideas!

Is there a more obvious choice than Vargs? Nothing in game currently resembles a more similar, dominant and aggressive monster that can lead hounds other than Vargs.

Archived