Poison Birchnut/"Birchguard"...

I like the concept behind them, as they're the deciduous counterparts

of the Treeguard yet functionally completely different, but the numbers are

absolutely ridiculous. Unlike treeguards which have a 1% chance of spawning

in place of an Evergreen, Poison Birchnut trees have a 50% chance of

spawning from other birches whenever you chop one down...50%! There

are just as many of them as there are normal trees!

The way I see it, there are 2 logical ways to improve them:

1. Make them more dangerous than they currently are, but much more rare.

Preferably 1%, just like with treeguards. This way they'd be an unwelcome

surprise instead of it basically being a given that when you got to chop

down a birchnut, you're going to spend the rest of the night fighting little

walnut zombies.

2. Add oak trees. Normal oak trees. The kind that doesn't murder people.

And then, make rare birchnut groves and give birch trees some special

drop, maybe something like "Zebark" ("zebra" + "bark", since it's black and white)

which can be used to make some kind of super-special whatever.

Sure, you could always just set them to very few or none in the world settings, but

then you feel like you're wimping out, and if they were to take approach 2 that would

be adding more rare toys to play with, which is always a good thing.

I'm fine with them, though I do wish the birchnuts were better.  I was worried when they nerfed them because I knew there was going to be a deciduous tree monster that would probably justify how good they were.

Also, another thing is that, while Treeguards can only spawn after day 3, you can just run

into a Birchguard on the first day, and in fact you probably most likely will the first time you

play the DLC because they're so common and there's no prior indication that chopping a

birch down is going to summon fourth a colossal swarm of man-eating nuts, before you're

even likely to have a spear on you yet.

no its fine as is. birch not trees are really not meant to be cut down. stick with coniferous trees. if your forced to get wood from birch nuts then hey you got to deal with penalty that comes with it. adding excitement and difficulty to this game. keep birch nut trees as is!!

I'm fine with them, though I do wish the birchnuts were better.  I was worried when they nerfed them because I knew there was going to be a deciduous tree monster that would probably justify how good they were.

good point. since they nerfed the benefits of the nuts there isn't really any other reason besides getting wood from them. if they rebuffed the nuts the multi populated spawns of birch guards would be justified and well balanced

no its fine as is. birch not trees are really not meant to be cut down. stick with coniferous trees. if your forced to get wood from birch nuts then hey you got to deal with penalty that comes with it. adding excitement and difficulty to this game. keep birch nut trees as is!!

That's quite simply not true. They ARE meant to be cut down. They would not be covering 1/4 of my map if they were just for decoration. And making chopping them down summon an army of overpowered tree monsters is not adding excitement and difficulty, it just forces me to limit myself when gathering wood by avoiding a gameplay feature.

Risk should give worthwhile reward. As it is, it quite simply doesn't. In a game basically based around that principle, this is far too risky for a tiny reward.

That's quite simply not true. They ARE meant to be cut down. They would not be covering 1/4 of my map if they were just for decoration. And making chopping them down summon an army of overpowered tree monsters is not adding excitement and difficulty, it just forces me to limit myself when gathering wood by avoiding a gameplay feature.

Risk should give worthwhile reward. As it is, it quite simply doesn't. In a game basically based around that principle, this is far too risky for a tiny reward.

Completely agree with you...getting 3 birch nuts and a living log or two isn't worth the effort of plowing my way through deadly birch-nut-critters, or durability on my axe.

Completely agree with you...getting 3 birch nuts and a living log or two isn't worth the effort of plowing my way through deadly birch-nut-critters, or durability on my axe.

its not meant for you to get rewarded. simply to put you in danger if this is the only tree you can cut in the middle of the night. making chopping for wood something else that needs to be planned

lol you took me too literally but this is exactly what i meant. they are not good trees to rely heavily on wood! if your in an autumn biome and night time is approaching and you have no wood. then you have to chop down these crazy trees putting you in a pickle. what I'm saying is that this was well thought out.

its not meant for you to get rewarded. simply to put you in danger if this is the only tree you can cut in the middle of the night. making chopping for wood something else that needs to be planned

The thing is...this happens DURING THE FIRST DAY, and constantly. It isn't even dawn yet and you can get 5-10 of the dang things.

I don't necessarily want a reward, but it would be nice if these were A LOT rarer, right now it's just plain ridiculous.

After you do it once you should learn it's a thing that happens, I don't see the problem.

They aren't normal trees and if you're expecting something to farm for lots of wood like coniferious trees you're approaching the matter the wrong way.

Besides, the lil' birchberry monster things go down pretty easy and can be farmed for food :D The twigs you get the rest of the time can just get dumped in a fire the coming night.

After you do it once you should learn it's a thing that happens, I don't see the problem.

They aren't normal trees and if you're expecting something to farm for lots of wood like coniferious trees you're approaching the matter the wrong way.

Besides, the lil' birchberry monster things go down pretty easy and can be farmed for food :grin: The twigs you get the rest of the time can just get dumped in a fire the coming night.

Actually I was thinking that a base with a cobblestone walkway with a row

of birch trees on each side would look quite dapper.

Besides, the lil' birchberry monster things go down pretty easy and can be farmed for food :grin: The twigs you get the rest of the time can just get dumped in a fire the coming night.

yep thats sorta what I'm trying to say. you know they spawn fast! i think its intentional to make being in certain biomes different and difficult. like being in desert biomes where there are no trees at all or like swamps. 

Actually I was thinking that a base with a cobblestone walkway with a row

of birch trees on each side would look quite dapper.

its is quite dapper i like your dapperness just don't cut em lol

The thing is...this happens DURING THE FIRST DAY, and constantly. It isn't even dawn yet and you can get 5-10 of the dang things.

I don't necessarily want a reward, but it would be nice if these were A LOT rarer, right now it's just plain ridiculous.

maybe it can use some tweaking? i respect you opinion! i just like it as is though. seth or one of the devs did say "chopping these trees comes at a price" or something along those lines

If only we had some sort of other tree that doesn't have such a high chance of attacking us...

I think that's why people want the spawn rate turned down, why even bother with birch trees if we have the pine trees? Treegaurds can't even spawn before day three and then after that it's still an incredibly low rate

So why bother with the birch trees for wood? I don't want to fight the birch guards so I'll just cut down a pine, kinda defeats the purpose of putting them in the game if you're going to just flat out ignore them :/

I think that's why people want the spawn rate turned down, why even bother with birch trees if we have the pine trees? Treegaurds can't even spawn before day three and then after that it's still an incredibly low rate

So why bother with the birch trees for wood? I don't want to fight the birch guards so I'll just cut down a pine, kinda defeats the purpose of putting them in the game if you're going to just flat out ignore them :/

The birchnut trees are there for if you really need food and can't get any, or if you are confident enough against them to farm them.

Also keep in mind that they only get angry if you cut full size trees.  If all you need is wood, you can get it just fine from a birchnut tree with a 0% chance of angering them by cutting the right trees.

Edit: I forgot that you can't set evergreens and birchnut trees to different frequencies in world settings.

The birchnut trees are there for if you really need food and can't get any, or if you are confident enough against them to farm them.  Or if you want a challenge you can set evergreens to none and have to survive solely on birchnut trees.

Also keep in mind that they only get angry if you cut full size trees.  If all you need is wood, you can get it just fine from a birchnut tree with a 0% chance of angering them by cutting the right trees.

Still a 100% spawn rate for a full grown tree? That doesn't seem even a little ridiculous to you?

Archived