What in caves/ruins draws you to going down there?

I'm still planning to eventually go down there to get a houndius shootius, however I am not sure on how to proceed down there. Is there any point to making a base? How does one deal with Depth worms efficiently? What items are worth acquiring? Can anyone give me some tips?

I'm still planning to eventually go down there to get a houndius shootius, however I am not sure on how to proceed down there. Is there any point to making a base? How does one deal with Depth worms efficiently? What items are worth acquiring? Can anyone give me some tips?

Whether you make a base or not depends on the layout of the map, although since caves have all of the weather now I probably wouldn't make one even if the ruins entrance is far from the cave entrance. For depths worms, recruit rock lobsters. Really, for anything, recruit rock lobsters, just make sure they don't follow you back up, because they will reproduce like crazy. Also, if the ground is red in the ruins, hide in a bush hat immediately until it dims down.

Items worth acquiring... mainly the Ancient Guardian Horn (for Houndius Shootius) and bunny puffs for rabbit hutches. I don't think the other stuff is really worth it, as you get so few uses compared to how difficult they are to obtain (and re-obtain). 

The lantern and the miner hat are of course very nice to have for the cave exploration itself, and if your base is close to the caves (and lightbulbs close to the entrance), then it's probably viable to use the miner hat aboveground and bring up lightbulb supplies, provided you have an icebox (they spoil fairly quickly).

Yes, plenty. Near the light flowers and fish ponds.

Depth worms? kill them one by one. hit and run, using your walking cane.(not efficient maybe you can try powders or traps), or summon a army of rock lobsters to help you.

Thulecite, gem and nightmare fuels

Yes, i already gave. :D

Yes, plenty. Near the light flowers and fish ponds.

Depth worms? kill them one by one. hit and run, using your walking cane.(not efficient maybe you can try powders or traps), or summon a army of rock lobsters to help you.

Thulecite, gem and nightmare fuels

Yes, i already gave. :grin:

Ah, Rock Lobsters, right, those were OP. Last time I tried kiting the depth worms, I failed and got eaten. Next time, I'll let the lobsters do the work for me :D

Whether you make a base or not depends on the layout of the map, although since caves have all of the weather now I probably wouldn't make one even if the ruins entrance is far from the cave entrance. For depths worms, recruit rock lobsters. Really, for anything, recruit rock lobsters, just make sure they don't follow you back up, because they will reproduce like crazy. Also, if the ground is red in the ruins, hide in a bush hat immediately until it dims down.

Items worth acquiring... mainly the Ancient Guardian Horn (for Houndius Shootius) and bunny puffs for rabbit hutches. I don't think the other stuff is really worth it, as you get so few uses compared to how difficult they are to obtain (and re-obtain). 

The lantern and the miner hat are of course very nice to have for the cave exploration itself, and if your base is close to the caves (and lightbulbs close to the entrance), then it's probably viable to use the miner hat aboveground and bring up lightbulb supplies, provided you have an icebox (they spoil fairly quickly).

Alrighty, thanks!

I go down there for Infinite resources....

"WHAT" you say, yeah you only need 3 gems and a couple of thulecite and some resources for 2 deconstruction staves and a construction amulet, all u need now is sanity items like tents and tam o shanter, taffy as well goes down great. 

I go down for that, but i also have Rare mob drops mod so i have all the items i need before going down then i make a massive super base and it is very cool, have yet to do it however as i alway have underground bugs, but i have go to the base part then my save died for no reason at all

To me, cave is just a place to have my Thulecite things and some magical staffs.

Uh, it seems less attractive in DLC now and a little bit useless, the reward of going down caves isn't comparable to the payment.

Besides, now in DLC, the adventure on the earth is fascinating and tense enough.

Light bulbs for lantern? Rabbit House? Not that important.

So why do we need caves anymore?

Tell me, What exactly in caves/ruins draws you to going down there now?

Looking at the items you listed I'd sure go down the caves to get that stuff. Plus I want stuff like Snurtle or Slurtle shell, still haven't found any slumpmonkeys, Bunny men are interresting, rocklobsters, tense feeling of the dark and the music, but the best of them all;

Renewable stones and gems from the caves' earthquakes :p

I went down in the caves to refuel my  miner's hat, and to bring some rock lobsters or rabbit hutches. 

The only reason I made it out was due to me having to mod an overpowered sword to one-hit-ko worms with.(as any pig army I brought down promptly became a werepig army.)

I had survived 100 days, and was trying to gather lobsters to not only use above but to also worm-proof my entrance...but...

The lobsters were all dead when I first entered the caves. No use going down there now.

I hate worms so much. 

I went down in the caves to refuel my  miner's hat, and to bring some rock lobsters or rabbit hutches. 

The only reason I made it out was due to me having to mod an overpowered sword to one-hit-ko worms with.(as any pig army I brought down promptly became a werepig army.)

I had survived 100 days, and was trying to gather lobsters to not only use above but to also worm-proof my entrance...but...

The lobsters were all dead when I first entered the caves. No use going down there now.

I hate worms so much. 

Was this recently? Worms were nerfed big time a little while ago, and I haven't seen more than 3 at once since.

To kill worms.

After every wave of hounds i visit cave for wave of worms, this results in tons of meat that can be trasfromed into eggs.

For mushrooms.

I use them to produce honey ham.

Gold.

I'm playing Wigfrid, killing manually everything i can find, so i need a lot of gold.

O,hoho, Not offensive, but dude you're really a novice to this game.

Well,  I disagree. I like caves and ruins, because new content. Swamp is nothing for me, because all resources on "less"  in my worlds, but in underground swamp reeds are very common. Beardlords vs Rock lobsters also good way for getting beard. Monkeys also good. I hate swamp beacause i hate something, what pollute world (like glaciers). I destroying every merm house. Every spider den, after i find enough spots for items.

Archived