Please keep weather in caves

It seems to me that the threats of the caves (Always Dark, Cave-ins, Nightmare Cycle, etc.)

are equal but different to the threats of the surface (Winter, Rain of Frogs, Summer, etc.)

So adding threats from one into the other may be unbalanced.

If we add seasons to the caves do we add cave-ins to the surface?

Of course, that is just my opinion.

Caves are meant to be harder than the surface, so their threats shouldn't be equal to the surface.

I havent even been in caves  in the rog,  So difficulty does not play into my opinion. I do wish people stop saying it does , because it does not.

I want caves to be hard , but i don't want them to be hard for the EXACT same reasons that top side is hard. 

To be perfectly frank ,  it rubs off as being a fair bit lazy , and is most certainly a missed opportunity 

It is still too hard to say with certainty since the game is still in development , but I honestly can say we don't need weather in caves. 

I want caves to be hard , but i don't want them to be hard for the EXACT same reasons that top side is hard. 

I totally agree with that line of thinking. I also understand though that that isn't the reason they added weather to caves.

Found one of my ideas on this here. I think I still like the direction of what I was pondering.

I'm more in favor of having weather in areas open to surface light and perhaps some other challenges to make it more deadly. Having weather in and around the light areas also follows a good suggestion I read inclining to localize weather impact on the surface, with something like less heat impact in the general world, higher in the grasslands, and much greater in desert.

To me the caves were never a place to live in, more of an excursion zone. I'd like it if the caves scaled in difficulty the longer you stayed in them till it's almost unlivable (possible but neigh guaranteed lethal) rather then just relying on combating simple insanity or worm aggression. Kind of like your presence is awakening/provoking the darkness. It could lead to different insanity monsters spawning or even your character powers turning on you. Something along the lines of Wilson's beard becoming dangerous both on and off him while faster growing, Lucy refusing to leave Woodie's hand while drawing him towards trees, Wolfgang's appetite being insatiable. Perhaps even an inversion could happen where Wickerbottom becomes narcoleptic or intermittently incapable of remember how to craft/use things.

It's an interesting area to explore depending on what kind of area Klei wants the caves to be.

To be perfectly frank ,  it rubs off as being a fair bit lazy , and is most certainly a missed opportunity

Do you run a gaming company?  Have you produced a DLC sequel with a crew perhaps 20% (or less - I don't know for sure - but my understanding is it is much less) the size of the crew that produced the original game, for 1/3 the price of the original game?  I have never done either and yet it's not hard for me to understand that Klei just didn't have the time/manpower to devote to a full-blown set of cave challenges.   Copy pasting weather was the most efficient way, and disappointing, but understandable.   Your comments come across as very childish to be frank. 

They should def. keep it in, and not tone it down. As stated already, this would make weather and season pointless, when you can just hop into the nearest cave to cool off/warm up. It's just silly. As for it not making sense, neither does half the things in the game. My vote goes for full-force weather in caves, forever.

Do you run a gaming company?  Have you produced a DLC sequel with a crew perhaps 20% (or less - I don't know for sure - but my understanding is it is much less) the size of the crew that produced the original game, for 1/3 the price of the original game?  I have never done either and yet it's not hard for me to understand that Klei just didn't have the time/manpower to devote to a full-blown set of cave challenges.   Copy pasting weather was the most efficient way, and disappointing, but understandable.   Your comments come across as very childish to be frank. 

there are times where putting in copy and past content is far worse than not putting in content at all.

you may call my position childish. that doesn't matter to me. what matters to me are facts , and as of right now that facts are that weather and seasons  in their current form are pretty much lifted from the surface.  And i cant really figure out why they did that ,  it doesn't really add anything to the game if anything it  damages  longevity because the caves now essentially play like the surface since the weather affects  pretty much eclipse the unique mechanics of caves.

if i want to play a harder version of the surface .. there is the darkness  option .  that mechanic exists already.  adding it to caves is redundant. 

you need examine the larger picture. 

If klei was truly strapped for money , then  I would simply say ... why bother putting seasons in caves in the first place? It still took code time to implement  them in caves

No they have a plan and the most certainly have  the resources to implement it.  however perplexing that plan may be to me . 

which is why we need to directly  state our opinions now in as blunt a way as possible. 

Caves certainly can be very wet, but their temperatures are much more stable than the surface.  
There were already separate threats underground.  There's no reason to have both the underground threats and above ground threats all in one place, in the caves.  They are no longer a survival strategy if they're worse than the surface. 

This may be a fantasy world, but that's no excause to throw realism completely out the window.  I suspect people would object if chopping down trees produced bunny rabbits in the new dlc.  I'm annoyed that caves have surface temp fluctuations for the same reason -- its' silly.  Unless, of course, there's some magic crystal underground causing this weird, inexplicable underground weather, of course, because then at least there's an explanation of sorts.  
And yes, surface seasons in caves are as silly as a cave-in on the surface.
One reason I'm skeptical about the heavy long rains in the first place is that eventually these characters (being apparently potentially pretty good survivalists,) would invent something known as the roof.  They'd spend most of the rainy day indoors, under that roof, when not out hunting and such.  Considering the things these characters can build, a wooden roof over the walls wouldn't be outlandish, but I've heard that's not going to happen.   So, long, hard rains are made artificially harsher. 

They should def. keep it in, and not tone it down. As stated already, this would make weather and season pointless, when you can just hop into the nearest cave to cool off/warm up. It's just silly. As for it not making sense, neither does half the things in the game. My vote goes for full-force weather in caves, forever.

keeping them in makes caves pointless as well, what is the point of playing caves if they have similar game play as the topside .

If they want to discourage  people from hiding in caves , then they should  add features to the caves that make the caves harder in a way that fits thematically with the caves.

heck they could just make the mobs hit harder , or the light sources rarer .

On another note if people are retreating to caves to avoid bad weather , then maybe the seasons need tweaking as well

the expansion is still in the early parts of the beta , as seen by the silliness of summer  and  the rampant combustion of everything 

(seriously if stuff was so easy to burn ... why dont we spawn in a world  burnt to a crisp???? it makes no sense that things are this easy to burn... it makes no sense that ANYthing burns in summer)

So over tuned seasons are still a thing to consider. 

keeping them in makes caves pointless as well, what is the point of playing caves if they have similar game play as the topside .

If they want to discourage  people from hiding in caves , then they should  add features to the caves that make the caves harder in a way that fits thematically with the caves.

heck they could just make the mobs hit harder , or the light sources rarer .

On another note if people are retreating to caves to avoid bad weather , then maybe the seasons need tweaking as well

the expansion is still in the early parts of the beta , as seen by the silliness of summer  and  the rampant combustion of everything 

(seriously if stuff was so easy to burn ... why dont we spawn in a world  burnt to a crisp???? it makes no sense that things are this easy to burn... it makes no sense that ANYthing burns in summer)

So over tuned seasons are still a thing to consider. 

First, they were not going to add anything to the caves with this DLC, it was only focused on the overworld, so calling Klei lazy, uncreative, etc. really doesn't apply here as applying the weather to the caves once it was written for the overworld is a small task, and a necessary one to make people prepare for and deal with the seasons. And the caves had similar gameplay to the overworld before the DLC as well, so this is not a valid point, as nothing has changed. It is still a dark version of above.

Second, the seasons should make you want to retreat to a cave, that is the point of this game, is to be difficult, to be a challenge.

Thirdly, summer is not silly. I keep hearing why we don't start in a world burned? Pick any answer you want. Maybe Maxwell kept it safe, maybe stuff doesn't burn when no one is around, maybe the skeletons are fakes and the world is created just for you. Take a guess. The fact that everything burns means nothing is safe, which increases the risk, which increases the difficulty, which...is...the...point...of...the...game.

Lastly, there are plenty of mods, that make the game easier to manage, they don't need to tone down the default game if most experienced players are having an ok time with summer.

I have no idea what the cave problem is.

For spring I wear the rain coat with mac tusk hat, some times switching out for a little armor or miners light incase problems occur.

For summer ice hat and armor does the trick. Throwing a fridge in the caves and putting ice in it helps.

Fall goes by unnoticed sometimes.

And winter is annoying, I just keep lighting fires at my feet using sticks and such.

Sanity concerns me, but cooked green mushrooms and glommer can patch that leak.

Only thing that threatens me is depth worms, terror beaks, and bunnies.

I have no idea what the cave problem is.

For spring I wear the rain coat with mac tusk hat, some times switching out for a little armor or miners light incase problems occur.

For summer ice hat and armor does the trick. Throwing a fridge in the caves and putting ice in it helps.

Fall goes by unnoticed sometimes.

And winter is annoying, I just keep lighting fires at my feet using sticks and such.

Sanity concerns me, but cooked green mushrooms and glommer can patch that leak.

Only thing that threatens me is depth worms, terror beaks, and bunnies.

Well, most people agree that just adding the same challenges that the overworld has to offer onto the caves is somewhat boring and tedious. It makes the caves (somewhat) harder, but not in an interesting way.

Well, most people agree that just adding the same challenges that the overworld has to offer onto the caves is somewhat boring and tedious. It makes the caves (somewhat) harder, but not in an interesting way.

Its there so people wouldn't try hiding.

The only scary thing about the old caves was the ridiculous spider army guarding the ruins entrance with super powerful spitter spiders.

The scary things about the ruins still exist, but you don't want to stay there long anyway.

The challenge level is ruins, the caves are meant to be explored and whimsical.

Klei has stated that the DLC's focus was on the overworld, and nothing was being added to the caves. If I have to choose between keeping the challenge consistent by adding an excellent mechanic to the caves or having nothing change at all, I will choose the former. We may get cave DLC in the future, but right now, those are the only choices, so all of the suggestions about a different kind of challenge are not feasible right now unless applied by mods.

Its there so people wouldn't try hiding.

The only scary thing about the old caves was the ridiculous spider army guarding the ruins entrance with super powerful spitter spiders.

The scary things about the ruins still exist, but you don't want to stay there long anyway.

The challenge level is ruins, the caves are meant to be explored and whimsical.

Which becomes a tedious pain due to the weather effects. I never ever considered "hiding" in the caves before, I'm not sure why that is such a big thing that needs to be surpressed.

Klei has stated that the DLC's focus was on the overworld, and nothing was being added to the caves. If I have to choose between keeping the challenge consistent by adding an excellent mechanic to the caves or having nothing change at all, I will choose the former. We may get cave DLC in the future, but right now, those are the only choices, so all of the suggestions about a different kind of challenge are not feasible right now unless applied by mods.

Well they kinda did add something, didn't they. Not something very fitting though. I wouldn't consider overheating in a dark, wet cave an excellent mechanic either. I stick to it, the way this issue is handled right now is not creative and not fun.

There is so many skylights, I can't imagine the weather being kept out.

The reason why cave hiding is a issue, is the same reasons caves became toggle-able. People start trying to exploit the caves, then get mad and call the game too easy.

Well they kinda did add something, didn't they. Not something very fitting though. I wouldn't consider overheating in a dark, wet cave an excellent mechanic either. I stick to it, the way this issue is handled right now is not creative and not fun.

That is what I said. But if you would rather have no change instead of the weather change, I can respect your choice. I just appreciate the change when I was expecting nothing.

That is what I said. But if you would rather have no change instead of the weather change, I can respect your choice. I just appreciate the change when I was expecting nothing.

Cheers.

There is so many skylights, I can't imagine the weather being kept out.

The reason why cave hiding is a issue, is the same reasons caves became toggle-able. People start trying to exploit the caves, then get mad and call the game too easy.

Well, I'd say it would be best if weather effects would only really apply around the direct area of those skylights then. (Also, what is the deal with those anyway? You never see any while running around on the surface...)

I would rather have more unique cave challenges instead like a cave giant or something that made it differ from the surface. Weather seems just lazy on klei's part to me.

As I posted, they were not having any new content for underground this DLC, so it is weather or nothing. Maybe in a future DLC that focuses on caves, but I think lazy is an inappropriate description of the choices here.

I would rather have more unique cave challenges instead like a cave giant or something that made it differ from the surface. Weather seems just lazy on klei's part to me.

In all fairness, I think they didn't have a lot of time to work on cave weather effects yet, considering how much new content is in the works as of now. Heck, most of the new items only have one set of text so far, so I'm pretty sure they'll at least tweak the effects in a future update.

As I posted, they were not having any new content for underground this DLC, so it is weather or nothing. Maybe in a future DLC that focuses on caves, but I think lazy is an inappropriate description of the choices here.

Lazy wasn't the best word really..

However I'd say wetness should stay in the caves since it makes more sense to me

I just thought it was bad enough when they added the worms.  The weather makes spelunking unreasonable.  New threats should not completely devalue the old unique loot down there.  Even the stone is devalued considering it's now renewable because of the glaciers.  There is no good reason to go down there at all now.  

Archived