Please keep weather in caves

This post is just to signify that some of us like the weather in the caves and the additional challenge it provides.

If you have to remove weather, please make it toggleable in world settings. Seeing the repeated threads complaining about it has me a little worried, since wetness was completely removed from winter.

Anyone who agrees, feel free to make your voice heard.

Just my opinion.

Prof

why are there seasons in caves? that makes no sense. real life people seek shelter in caves because caves resist elements .

this suggestion thread makes no logical sense

I would also assume when these real life people seek shelter in the caves, they also take their real life pigmen friends, or do they just count on finding real life bunny men? What do real life depth worms look like? Will they attack me in real life?

......too subtle?

I would also assume when these real life people seek shelter in the caves, they also take their pigmen friends, or do they just count on finding bunny men? What do real life depth worms look like? Will they attack me in real life?

......too subtle?

There are something that  they tend to take liberties on, but there are other things that they try to keep a semblance of accuracy and that is for the most part  how  things like weather and seasons play out.

summer is hot and dry , spring is  mild and wet , fall is  chilly and dry and winter is cold

but you dont see it raining fire  in winter , nor do you see ice monsters in summer.

as such you wont  expect  to see  the extreme affects of seasons in a cave system

and I am sure you have read  fantasy in your life ,  even  novels about middle earth  have enough logic to follow basic  things of  weather and cave / crypts / dwarven fortresses /  giant holes in the ground. 

even if they have things like dragons  and orks prancing about .

I dont do subtle

There are something that they tend to take liberties on, but there are other things that they try to keep a semblance of accuracy and that is for the most part how things like weather and seasons play out.

summer is hot and dry , spring is mild and wet , fall is chilly and dry and winter is cold

but you dont see it raining fire in winter , nor do you see ice monsters in summer.

as such you wont expect to see the extreme affects of seasons in a cave system

and I am sure you have read fantasy in your life , even novels about middle earth have enough logic to follow basic things of weather and cave / crypts / dwarven fortresses / giant holes in the ground.

even if they have things like dragons and orks prancing about .

I dont do subtle

Fair enough, but my OP is from a gameplay standpoint. No weather in caves makes them easy mode during tough seasons.

well so is my stance , and from a game-play point having seasons in caves is strange , since in most settings(outside of dont starve)   animals and people seek caves specifically to escape the harsher  aspects of  the seasons. 

not once did I say that seasons in caves were hard or easy  or that they were meant to be either way , only that in the context of real life comparisons :

putting seasons in caves constitutes the exact opposite  thing one would expect  from caves. 

edit ,

even if we make seasons a toggle option  it still doesn't make sense that  they would be just as pronounced in a cave as they are  top side 

At the bare minimum , the affects seasons have on caves should be minimized.   and by affects I mean wetness  heat and the freeze affects.  But things like seasonal themed  monsters  , or  seasonal limitations like crops  not being usable in the winter  could still be a little plausible if diluted somewhat, maybe they grow slower. 

But the central point of my stance is that the whole point in nature   behind seeking caves is that they provide a more constant environment that resists the extreme changes of seasons. 

well so is my stance , and from a game-play point having seasons in caves is strange , since in most settings(outside of dont starve) animals and people seek caves specifically to escape the harsher aspects of the seasons.

not once did I say that seasons in caves were hard or easy or that they were meant to be either way , only that in the context of real life comparisons :

putting seasons in caves constitutes the exact opposite thing one would expect from caves.

edit ,

even if we make seasons a toggle option it still doesn't make sense that they would be just as pronounced in a cave as they are top side

At the bare minimum , the affects seasons have on caves should be minimized. and by affects I mean wetness heat and the freeze affects. But things like seasonal themed monsters , or seasonal limitations like crops not being usable in the winter could still be a little plausible if diluted somewhat, maybe they grow slower.

But the central point of my stance is that the whole point in nature behind seeking caves is that they provide a more constant environment that resists the extreme changes of seasons.

Having them toned down is perfectly viable.

I don't like the weather in caves. It's too illogical. All tho while it rains in the outside world and snows, the same thing could happen near the sinkhole in the caves (if weather change in certain places is possible). And may be when it's raining, in caves could be some placed of water deips a bit, cause in caves that's what happens, right (if WX-78 stands under a driplet he would lose health of it and fires that put under that would run out a bit faster with every drop).

Having weather in cave would make the caves more difficult then I needs to be because the biggest factors in caves is that you need to have an anple of food (food is harder to get in the caves); that can barly be done with a bunch of clothes to deal with weather. Instead, we should have new challanges in the cave as stated in this post http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32212-keeping-weather-and-caves-seperated/

@ProfFarnsworth, did you play RoG winter when it had wetness?  It was basically unplayable due to not having a properly function drying mechanism or sufficient anti-wetness clothing.  It's no surprise nobody liked it.  It would be interesting to see how it played now that there are better wetness preventing clothes and a viable drying mechanic in fires.  But I'm fine with winters as they are are now.

It's kind of funny all the people pleading 'it's not realistic' about underground weather.  That's not your real concern.  Your concern is 'it's too hard!'. 

If your concern was realism, then simple:  Install magma pools in the caves.  In 'summer' they're full of magma and heating the caves to boiling.    Ice doens't have such a direct RL analog.  Bug they can just ad Ice-stalgamites blue gem pillars that for whatever reason in 'winter' channel some shadowy netherworld cooling power.  (You can mine them for 1 blue gem and 10 ice, and it will require an entire golden pickaxe to do so). Or hell, endo-magma, why not?  Presto! logic restored!  And all it requires is about four graphical sprites. 

I don't need logic sprites personally, I can roll with it as is.  It make caves extremely unattractive in winter and summer, but totally doable in fall, and doable with a little extra effort in spring. 

It does disappoint me that the caves just have a copy-paste of weather.  Not from a logical or challenge standpoint, but from the creativity and uniqueness standpoint - it makes caves less different.  It basically admits that Klei decided they didn't have the time or energy to come up with further underground challenges.  Which I can understand in a $5 dlc.  But there's still that little disappointment in my heart.

Scaling back weather is one possible answer.  I think the spring rains would likely become a non-issue though in that case, much like autumn rains.  I think it would make it more interesting if the caves had random seasons.  So you don't know what to expect from one to the next.  Right now I can totally plan my expeditions based on above ground seasons, which is very...predictable, and enhances the feeling they're just a perma-night version of the above ground world.    This could be arranged so that you cannot have the same seasons sequentially (no double or triple winters!).  Or maybe you can!  Ouch!

For those who dislike it so much, Klei has clearly stated they don't want people hiding out in caves during hard weather.  Assuming you don't want them to pump up depth worms, what other interesting challenges can they add to caves, that are not weather?  Bring the shadow cycle up into caves?  Batalisk plagues (they're really too rare now aren't they?).   Rabbit men are hostile every 'full moon'?  A season where bulb plants don't produce bulbs?    Tentacles wil spread in non-rocky/manmade turf it you don't curtail them?  

Or it could be niggling annoying stuff, like no more farming or berry bush growing underground, or rock lobsters will attack you or chester if you have more than 10 of any mineral on you, and they'll destroy your chests if there's minerals inside.  Rabbit men if more than ten carrots.  Make miner hats only refuelable by fireflies.

What sort of challenge would interest you, and make you genuinely have to choose between living underground or above ground?  Or is it already hard enough by virtue of perma-night?

It seems to me that the threats of the caves (Always Dark, Cave-ins, Nightmare Cycle, etc.)

are equal but different to the threats of the surface (Winter, Rain of Frogs, Summer, etc.)

So adding threats from one into the other may be unbalanced.

If we add seasons to the caves do we add cave-ins to the surface?

Of course, that is just my opinion.

@brummbar7 yes I did. Got RoG on first day, while it did need some work, the biggest issues I found were the wetness from the ground and the fact that the breezy and puffy vests had no waterproofing.

Beyond that, wasn't too bad if you kept dry. And now with the fires drying you off, I think it would work great.

And the single biggest benefit to weather in caves that I have seen is that you cannot camp forever in caves anymore, which I think is intended.

I don't mind the caves being harder, but I'd like it if they were harder different than the surface. Because as it is now, the caves are essentially the surface in full night mode with a few different biomes. It doesn't make since from the aspect that the caves are down far enough that consistent earthquakes don't collapse the ceiling to open the surface, but has full weather.

It's just slightly disappointing because of where I saw the direction the caves were going. The surface was weather were interesting creatures lived, some territorial and others that were tainted by the night. The caves were like the conduit of the deep darkness that twisted the world so much that Maxwell sealed it in an inefficient and seemingly rushed manner.

I think it is good that there is a mechanic that keeps you from camping in caves but weather does seem silly.

How about an occasion larger verion of the different mobs that are down there? Bigger, stronger and meaner, with posible structure destroying capability. possibly slower. Something that when it comes in your direction, it is time to go.

It would kind of fit the concepts already in the game that the nightmare fuel leaking up from the deapths causes bigNgrumpyism as a mutation.

I don't mind the caves being harder, but I'd like it if they were harder different than the surface. Because as it is now, the caves are essentially the surface in full night mode with a few different biomes. It doesn't make since from the aspect that the caves are down far enough that consistent earthquakes don't collapse the ceiling to open the surface, but has full weather.

It's just slightly disappointing because of where I saw the direction the caves were going. The surface was weather were interesting creatures lived, some territorial and others that were tainted by the night. The caves were like the conduit of the deep darkness that twisted the world so much that Maxwell sealed it in an inefficient and seemingly rushed manner.

Although I quite enjoy the caves right now, I could definitely agree with a different kind of challenge.

I think it is good that there is a mechanic that keeps you from camping in caves but weather does seem silly.

How about an occasion larger verion of the different mobs that are down there? Bigger, stronger and meaner, with posible structure destroying capability. possibly slower. Something that when it comes in your direction, it is time to go.

It would kind of fit the concepts already in the game that the nightmare fuel leaking up from the deapths causes bigNgrumpyism as a mutation.

I also like this idea.

Archived