C'mon, can summer be more disturbing?

I know this game is (well, in my mind at least ;) ) legendary for its players constantly demanding more and more and more difficulty when I'm screaming AAAAAHHHH I'm DYING!  I know I'm in the vast minority that the thought of MORE DIFFICULTY scares the crap out of me.  Of course I will not not not read strategy guides, tips, spoilers, wikis, etc -- they're cheating, to me, and I find out as I go in games, so, I'm sure if I did all that I'd do much better.  But I won't -- I call them spoilers for a reason. ;) 
But... ugh, come on, the dlc looks like it's going to go absolutely berserk on simply adding difficulty like mad whether it makes sense or not. 800 degree temperatures in summer?  Freezing rain in caves?  I'm glad there's a checkbox to turn off the dlc, I guess.  Summer sunlight bursting the planet into flames is ... ok I don't have the words.  

While the DLC is enjoyable for the most part, I've really been disliking things spontaneously catching fire. It feels like an unnecessary addition for the sole purpose of adding difficulty. Difficult things can be fun when a player feels like they can adequately prepare, or at least somewhat, the event or at least have a grasp on it. So far is either been starting the game in the fall season (avoiding spring starts) so you have 3 seasons to prepare for summer, or stock up on twigs and grass and avoiding your main base completely while waiting for summer to be over so you don't lose your base. You survive by not actually playing.

Scrap the spontaneous combustions. The Ice Flingomatic can be left as is; something that'll perk up withering plants and can act as a defense against red hounds.

I agree that some people need to act nicer and more sensitive towards non-native english speakers like the OP and myself. We're the ones making an effort to type in YOUR language to begin with.

Fortunately, I haven't been active in these forums here enough to evaluate but.. native english speakers are definetly NOT the kindest or most understanding of beings.

On topic. I'm so scared to get into summer with this new update! My entire base is usually made of flammable objects like trees and wooden walls. Lightning strikes were so menacing already! haha

While the DLC is enjoyable for the most part, I've really been disliking things spontaneously catching fire. It feels like an unnecessary addition for the sole purpose of adding difficulty. Difficult things can be fun when a player feels like they can adequately prepare, or at least somewhat, the event or at least have a grasp on it. So far is either been starting the game in the fall season (avoiding spring starts) so you have 3 seasons to prepare for summer, or stock up on twigs and grass and avoiding your main base completely while waiting for summer to be over so you don't lose your base. You survive by not actually playing.

Scrap the spontaneous combustions. The Ice Flingomatic can be left as is; something that'll perk up withering plants and can act as a defense against red hounds.

I like ur words for "actually playing". I think most of the players who played dlc for the first time would never speculate such fire things, mayby some of them may notice the ice flingomatic and make preparation, even they do, they don't have enough ice if start in spring,  which means they have to suffer the fire disaster first and then either start playing again or build their base again, it's just made the game difficult but less interesting.And when start playing again, it's like what u said, they survive by not actually playing,  less fun either.

So, mayby the game should give players more hints about summer fire and make them more sensible.

Because, come on.

We nerver heard of the news that everything can spontaneously set on fire in summer.It's ture that forests have a high probability to catch fire in high temperature ,but butterflies and rabbits?How does that happen?

Besides, some wooden structure do have a small chance to be ignited by high temperature, but i think it's absolutely not common. Put a wooden chest outside under big sunshine in 45 Celsius, i bet it won't burst into flames for a whole summer season.

So show more hints and make it more reasonable.

Now, i have an idea and i'll make a suggestion to Klei.later.

Animals and wooden structure can no longer spontaneously catch fire in summer, still forests and withered grass and all the flammable objects on the ground will be.

But most structures , execpt for those obviously insulated from fire, can be ignited by fire.And only when they are close enough to fire they can catch fire. We can also make wind capable of catching flames a short distance away.

I think it's more sensible now, is it?

I know this game is (well, in my mind at least ;) ) legendary for its players constantly demanding more and more and more difficulty when I'm screaming AAAAAHHHH I'm DYING!  I know I'm in the vast minority that the thought of MORE DIFFICULTY scares the crap out of me.  Of course I will not not not read strategy guides, tips, spoilers, wikis, etc -- they're cheating, to me, and I find out as I go in games, so, I'm sure if I did all that I'd do much better.  But I won't -- I call them spoilers for a reason. ;) 

But... ugh, come on, the dlc looks like it's going to go absolutely berserk on simply adding difficulty like mad whether it makes sense or not. 800 degree temperatures in summer?  Freezing rain in caves?  I'm glad there's a checkbox to turn off the dlc, I guess.  Summer sunlight bursting the planet into flames is ... ok I don't have the words.  

U r definitely not in the minority, there are huge amount of Chinese guys think the game's too easy in our Chinese forum, Baidu tieba.

Some of them uses strategy guides, some not.

I agree with ur way to play the game, i once was the guy watching lots of tutorial videos and reading guides, tips, spoilers, wikis, etc when playing DS.( haha to me!)

Because i found it so difficult and didn't know what to do when started. I was afraid of dying and never survived through first winter in the original version.

But later when i survived so easily after watching so many things, i pathetically found myself read too much spoilers and the fun obtained by playing DS was poorly little.

Yes, to quote MisterNublet's(the guy in #27) words, "You survive by not actually playing.", That's me before.

So i decided not to watch any video or strategy when i heard the DLC beta had come out.

OK. i confess i read little, they came to my eyes when i was scanning the Baidu forum, it was irresistible to read some sentences or titles. But it's much better now, i'm thinking when playing DS.

Now i enjoy the game better.

But like i said, the summer fire stuffs are not that sensible, u can read #29, i said quite clear there.

I'll think about other amends about this fire thing and other inappropriate settings in dlc and their amends later.

....And when start playing again, it's like what u said, they survive by not actually playing...

I would say that finding things to do outside the main base is just part of the game.   You can make a satellite base, stock up your touchstone backup supplies, go caving (yes, it is possible in summer).   I understand that for people that aren't playing the dlc right now, but are reading these forums, the spontaneous combustion sounds pretty insane.  I thought that too for a while in the intial stage, when my first 3 games were all autumn starts and winter was basically impossible to get through without a beefalo hat due to bugginess of wetness.  But after the March 12th update, I played more, and actually got to summers.   The combustion is seriously NOT as bad as some peope make it sound.  You just have to be more conscientious of how your base is laid out, and spend more time getting wood to fuel the flinger(s) for the summer.  There's also a bug right now with growing crops not being able to be extinguished when smoldering, which makes it a bit harder right now, but that's a bug that will be fixed. 

The only way it would be bad is if you're a uber-base person, and you absolutely have to spend all your days around your main base.  It has been suggested, and I'm hoping klei will listen, that they should put in a world setting option for no spontaneous combustion.  If they do that, then there is no reason for the base RoG to not have combustion.

As for animals catching fire, it's pretty funny actually.      As for newbs, if you're a true newb to this game, you're going to die TONS of times from unexpected challenges.  That's just how this game is.  Spontaneous combustion is just one of many unexpected ways to die on the DS learning curve.

Summer in this game is basically the end of the world. I mean if you keep staying in the same world for longer, eventually EVERYTHING will burn down and won't be replantable. Better if you could plant berries for berry bushes, something else for saplings and something else again for grass. Cause if things burn down all around the world, well then the world is doomed. Better if that burning thing would also accur around the player and things would only wither around the world.

Summer in this game is basically the end of the world. I mean if you keep staying in the same world for longer, eventually EVERYTHING will burn down and won't be replantable.

That's only true if you dig up and replant EVERYTHING right next to each other in giant fields.  Which is now simply a bad strategy.

Wild plants grow far enough apart you're unlikely to lose more than 3 or 4 in most cases, except in forest, but just run the other way from a forest fire - they don't propogate more than 1 screen away.  

I plant things in groups of 5-10, isolated from all other combustibles, unless they're in flinger range.  Maybe the experience of 1000 day player is different, but I don't play that long, and twigs and grass are so numerous there is NO WAY that I'm going to run out of them in a 300 day world, which is about my limit.    And currently I plant my berry bushes in large fields where none are within range of each other fire-wise.  At least I don't think they are.  They're also totally unprotected by flingers.   I seriously haven't had that much problem with combustion, and have never lost a berry bush to it.  Of course I always carry an ice staff or rot with me.  If you don't carry any extinguishing gear I can see where you might have more problems, but a little forethought will obviate most of the problem.

That's only true if you dig up and replant EVERYTHING right next to each other in giant fields.  Which is now simply a bad strategy.

Wild plants grow far enough apart you're unlikely to lose more than 3 or 4 in most cases, except in forest, but just run the other way from a forest fire - they don't propogate more than 1 screen away.  

I plant things in groups of 5-10, isolated from all other combustibles, unless they're in flinger range.  Maybe the experience of 1000 day player is different, but I don't play that long, and twigs and grass are so numerous there is NO WAY that I'm going to run out of them in a 300 day world, which is about my limit.    And currently I plant my berry bushes in large fields where none are within range of each other fire-wise.  At least I don't think they are.  They're also totally unprotected by flingers.   I seriously haven't had that much problem with combustion, and have never lost a berry bush to it.  Of course I always carry an ice staff or rot with me.  If you don't carry any extinguishing gear I can see where you might have more problems, but a little forethought will obviate most of the problem.

It still burns! One berry bush burns down out of 200 and you are left with 199 in the world. Happens again and you'll lose ALL berry bushes. If summer burns down trees, that's fine because you can replant them (Evergreens). This game has so much situations where you can't live forever in one world, but have to move on to the next.

One berry bush burns down out of 200 and you are left with 199 in the world.

I don't think any world has 200 berry bushes in it to start.  But really, do you even need 100 berry bushes?  50?  I get by fine with like, 20, and they go unpicked most of the time.  If you don't protect or pay attention to at least some of your berry bushes, then it's your fault honestly.  All you have to do is make a number of turbofarms.  The vegetables they produce will be at worst (carrots) equivalent to berries, but quite often much better.  Even IF all your berries burned, it would not be the end of the world.

This is getting a little ridiculous.

Spending your entire summer away from camp so the game is boring?

1. I have spent multiple summers through the game, and I don't leave or stay at base any different than winter or spring. Last summer I lost 5 farms and an alchemy engine, but it is not the end of the world, and that was only because I wasn't paying attention.

The whole world being burnt down?

As I posted in another thread. This is highly unlikely due to fires only propogating a small distance from the player. And there are mods now which replace irreplaceables, so meh.

New players won't know what to do?

This is kind of the point of the game. You are not supposed to survive until you learn and adapt. When my whole base burnt down in summer, the next game I collected a lot more ice. And the saga continues.

As stated elsewhere, default should be wildfires on, to turn them off in world settings if you prefer.

PS The first time I saw a butterfly smoldering, I laughed my a** off, then caught it, problem solved.

I don't think any world has 200 berry bushes in it to start. But really, do you even need 100 berry bushes? 50? I get by fine with like, 20, and they go unpicked most of the time. If you don't protect or pay attention to at least some of your berry bushes, then it's your fault honestly. All you have to do is make a number of turbofarms. The vegetables they produce will be at worst (carrots) equivalent to berries, but quite often much better. Even IF all your berries burned, it would not be the end of the world.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. The game is meant to be shown as if some other characters already have been there and died. This means that the world is practically something that has been going on for ages before you even started the game, meaning that if the summer was there everything would be dead before you even started the map. So lets put some realizm in the game and a world that could live on its own without being taken care of during the summer. If nothing there is done, I'll just add this to my big mod I'm gonna make and have my mod anabled for the rest of the time I play the game. Le end :p

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. The game is meant to be shown as if some other characters already have been there and died. This means that the world is practically something that has been going on for ages before you even started the game, meaning that if the summer was there everything would be dead before you even started the map. So lets put some realizm in the game and a world that could live on its own without being taken care of during the summer. If nothing there is done, I'll just add this to my big mod I'm gonna make and have my mod anabled for the rest of the time I play the game. Le end :razz:

But you are not complaining about the world not burning when you are not near it. So based on your logic here, because you were not in the world until you started the world, and you have no idea when the last visitor was there, is it not safe to assume that nothing burnt down because no one was present? Or the world recovered since the last visitor was present (ie the time before you came to the world)?

I believe some one else already said something like this: If a tree smolders in a forest and no one is around to see it, does the forest ignite?

All jokes aside, these flash fires are small most of the time. I haven't seen more than a few things catch fire from one smoldering object.

Meanwhile, lighting is the real killer. Entire forests go up in smoke, lure plants are the closest thing to a lightening rod, and the fire is nearly unstoppable. I saw a butterfly get struck by lightening, why does smoldering matter? Adding realism in a world that bends reality is not really necessary.

AND THERE HAS BEEN A BURNT WORLD SINCE THE TELEPORTATO THING! A long long time ago, I went through survival tele through the next survival tele. There was a mostly swamp world and every tree was burnt. Besides, who knows how long its been since someone visited the world you lived in, everything could of regrew naturally.

I believe some one else already said something like this: If a tree smolders in a forest and no one is around to see it, does the forest ignite?

All jokes aside, these flash fires are small. Lost of the time. I haven't seen more than a few things catch fire from one smoldering object.

Meanwhile, lighting is the real killer. Entire forests go up in smoke, lure plants are the closest thing to a lightening rod, and the fire is nearly unstoppable. I saw a butterfly get struck by lightening, why does smoldering matter? Adding realism in a world that bends reality is not really necessary.

AND THERE HAS BEEN A BURNT WORLD SINCE THE TELEPORTATO THING! A long long time ago, I went through survival tele through the next survival tele. There was a mostly swamp world and every tree was burnt. Besides, who knows how long its been since someone visited the world you lived in, everything could of regrew naturally.

This is what I'm talking about; Carrots, berry bushes, grass and saplings does not regrow based on mechanics. Would be better if they did, or if there was a way to regrow them. Like grass and saplings regrew after a while if one gets burnt down. And a berry bush could be grown with planting berries on the ground and carrots could be replanted with planting seeds on the ground. Cause if you think that someone else was before you, they might have just picked all the carrots and there would be none left, but based on mechanics they spawn in the ground without having any logic into it.

You know what, fine if nobody cares, I'll care and make a mod with wverything renewable, how's that. Only recipes will be a lot harder, say Science machine will require: 8 logs (for the outside look), 2 gears (to make it seem like it's a mechanism really), 4 cut grass (for the "rope" thingy on the two gears in the front), 1 gold (I think it has some sparkles of gold on it), 4 stone (to make some gears bigger and better), 6 twigs (to have gears something to hold on to, otherways they would just fall apart).

Too hard? Meh, wouldn't be for me; I mean log, grass, twigs is easy. Stone and gold is quite easy too and gears can be found around with the DLC by killing the clockwork things (because of this I'll make spear not to require a science machine).

This is what I'm talking about; Carrots, berry bushes, grass and saplings does not regrow based on mechanics. Would be better if they did, or if there was a way to regrow them. Like grass and saplings regrew after a while if one gets burnt down. And a berry bush could be grown with planting berries on the ground and carrots could be replanted with planting seeds on the ground. Cause if you think that someone else was before you, they might have just picked all the carrots and there would be none left, but based on mechanics they spawn in the ground without having any logic into it.

You know what, fine if nobody cares, I'll care and make a mod with wverything renewable, how's that. Only recipes will be a lot harder, say Science machine will require: 8 logs (for the outside look), 2 gears (to make it seem like it's a mechanism really), 4 cut grass (for the "rope" thingy on the two gears in the front), 1 gold (I think it has some sparkles of gold on it), 4 stone (to make some gears bigger and better), 6 twigs (to have gears something to hold on to, otherways they would just fall apart).

Too hard? Meh, wouldn't be for me; I mean log, grass, twigs is easy. Stone and gold is quite easy too and gears can be found around with the DLC by killing the clockwork things (because of this I'll make spear not to require a science machine).

I can't wait to see this mod :p

I can't wait to see this mod :p

I'll take ages thought, so don't get too exited. Plus may be in the end you might get disapointed. I mean, I'll make the cost of walls real high to make them look a lot more realistic (say instead of 4, 6, 8 walls you only get one and cannot atack it). One wood wall would cost 9 logs and 2 rope, which in the game cost 2 boards and 2 ropes, I think. And whilst in game you get 6 or 8 wooden walls you'll only get one which will be nonstackable in the game. So building real walls will be long and a drag, might as well impossible!

I can't wait to see all his other ones.

Yeah, true that. I have hell of a lot to learn first. My ideas are coming too fast before I can even start working on them and yet I still try to squeez some ideas out XD

Archived