[MOD] Hero in the Dark (original thread)

In the first page of the thread is a lot of info about the progress of the mod,some of the art (esp for weapons) are just placeholders until we get better art for them.

For the boomerang, yeah its prob the auto-catch mod you are using, we have not touched the code for the boomerang and it was 'updated' in code during the last update for ROG, so most mods for the boomerang or using the boomerang code will not be working.

As for the sound, I will look into it further.

Thanks for the quick reply, i forgot to mention, on my xp bar it's written pet or something ''forgot the word'' but how do i use this?

I play with a controller BTW.

Found a weird bug that you could abuse pretty hard. If you use the fire armor ( haven't found frost armor so cant test it). But if you equip it then put on something else enemies still catch on fire as if you were wearing the fire armor. 

Edit, as a thought I wonder if this is just a bug maybe with the scale armor? Could not be just a bug for the mod but i'm probably not making sense.

Edited by Alice

Found a weird bug that you could abuse pretty hard. If you use the fire armor ( haven't found frost armor so cant test it). But if you equip it then put on something else enemies still catch on fire as if you were wearing the fire armor. 

Edit, as a thought I wonder if this is just a bug maybe with the scale armor? Could not be just a bug for the mod but i'm probably not making sense.

hmm are you by chance using a flaming sword? ;)

I have not played around with the scale armor yet, but I will look into it.

Thanks for the quick reply, i forgot to mention, on my xp bar it's written pet or something ''forgot the word'' but how do i use this?

I will look into it when I get home later, but as for now, you mouse click on it.

No sword here, its really strange. Like even when picking a cactus they burst into flame because they make you take damage.

Yeah we found a bug in the code. The fix will go in the next update, as for now, saving and reloading "should" fix the bug ;)

Found another weird bug with the items/chests that spawn enemies when you pick/open them. With chests if you just keep opening them they just keep spawning. With items they keep spawning every-time you click on them or equip them. Been enjoying the dungeon so far, haven't made it past level two but I'm hoping too soon!

Found another weird bug with the items/chests that spawn enemies when you pick/open them. With chests if you just keep opening them they just keep spawning. With items they keep spawning every-time you click on them or equip them. Been enjoying the dungeon so far, haven't made it past level two but I'm hoping too soon!

Glad you are enjoying the goblin dungeon, the Goblin King will be most unhappy ;)

Anyway, what exactly do you mean by " items they keep spawning every-time you click on them or equip them"?

We will take a look at this bug and put it in with the next patch, as always thanks for the feedback / bug report :)

note: If you are liking the goblin dungeon, I can't wait for you to see the next one in development hehe ;) All I'm gonna say is that it includes something people have been wanting in DS for a LONG time...

Glad you are enjoying the goblin dungeon, the Goblin King will be most unhappy ;)

Anyway, what exactly do you mean by " items they keep spawning every-time you click on them or equip them"?

We will take a look at this bug and put it in with the next patch, as always thanks for the feedback / bug report :-)

note: If you are liking the goblin dungeon, I can't wait for you to see the next one in development hehe ;) All I'm gonna say is that it includes something people have been wanting in DS for a LONG time...

Can't wait to see it! As for the items I'm meaning the ones that are on the ground that spawn enemies when you pick them up. say like there will be a greater lightning sword etc.

Think we fixed the problem with the controller, it will roll out in the next update.

Thanks, but how will we use it?

Well, neither of us have controllers to test or know how the controllers are set up exactly but we did enable the controller action button on the widget itself, after next update, let us know how it's working out.

Edited by kraken121

Well, neither of us have controllers to test or know how the controllers are set up exactly but we did enable the controller action button on the widget itself, after next update, let us know how it's working out.

But, isn't the action button simply the left click on the mouse? and since there is no mouse pointer with a controller, we cannot ''click'' on the text below the experience bar.

So, i don't think it will work, but i will let you know when it's updated. But, why not make the skill a book that the charater starts with or something like that?

how are you using crafting bar if you have no pointer? Or, well, anything from the inventory? I just don't understand how the whole thing works.

But, isn't the action button simply the left click on the mouse? and since there is no mouse pointer with a controller, we cannot ''click'' on the text below the experience bar.

So, i don't think it will work, but i will let you know when it's updated. But, why not make the skill a book that the charater starts with or something like that?

how are you using crafting bar if you have no pointer? Or, well, anything from the inventory? I just don't understand how the whole thing works.

The designers built it from the ground up, you never saw any console gameplay or wathever?

For crafting, you press L1 or Left trigger depending on controller, and R1 or right trigger pauses the game and lets you arrange your inventory...also the crafting menu and inventory are placed differently. In all honesty this is one of the rare cases where i think the controller is way better than the mouse/keyboard controls.

I tried playing with mouse/keybaord last week, and god it feels horrible imo. i would never go back to playing like this XD

Well I certainly do not own the controller or xbox+the game for it to know so... yes, I have never seen DONT STARVE interface/controller button effects on consoles, nor am I watching streamers that do so, sorry. I also do not possess the powers of mindreading.

From what I saw, in a bunch of places there seemed to be complete code separation (there is even separate lua for console crafting), which is what I wanted to confirm is really happening. I'd guess equipment/inventory modifications might break it as well.

Ultimately, I think I can say with certainty that features will not be removed or rebalanced around it. While I am certain someone could come up with the way to make/keep user friendliness and functionality (if your pause key lets you do inventory stuff, it could as well let you trigger special attacks then unpause etc), such things might need to wait for someone that has the hardware and the time to code and test them properly.

Well I certainly do not own the controller or xbox+the game for it to know so... yes, I have never seen DONT STARVE interface/controller button effects on consoles, nor am I watching streamers that do so, sorry. I also do not possess the powers of mindreading.

From what I saw, in a bunch of places there seemed to be complete code separation (there is even separate lua for console crafting), which is what I wanted to confirm is really happening. I'd guess equipment/inventory modifications might break it as well.

Ultimately, I think I can say with certainty that features will not be removed or rebalanced around it. While I am certain someone could come up with the way to make/keep user friendliness and functionality (if your pause key lets you do inventory stuff, it could as well let you trigger special attacks then unpause etc), such things might need to wait for someone that has the hardware and the time to code and test them properly.

I can understand not wanting to do the work twice, especially since you don't have a controller to know if everything works as planned and whatnot. Altough, i hope in the future people help you with that, or there is not too much stuff added that is not doable with controllers.

As for pausing for casting spells, if you find a way, that would be neat! XD

ps- not that it matters but, its not the pause button that allow us to manage inventory, its the inventory button that pauses the game lol.

altough, it's pretty much the same thing, but i just wanted to let you know!

BTW, i'm disapointed that you can't read minds :p

I can understand not wanting to do the work twice, especially since you don't have a controller to know if everything works as planned and whatnot. Altough, i hope in the future people help you with that, or there is not too much stuff added that is not doable with controllers.

As for pausing for casting spells, if you find a way, that would be neat! XD

ps- not that it matters but, its not the pause button that allow us to manage inventory, its the inventory button that pauses the game lol.

altough, it's pretty much the same thing, but i just wanted to let you know!

BTW, i'm disapointed that you can't read minds :razz:

We certainly don't want to exclude areas of the gaming community, but we also have no plans to change the format of the current UI. Those skills are up there and placed in that location so  they can be used quickly and not take up inv space. 

Unfortunately neither of us owns a controller to test this properly nor do we have a play tester to do it either. Also we currently have NO ides how the controller is implemented in the game except for what is in the code and what you mentioned earlier. 

I will speak with @DeathDisciple later today and see if she has any ideas for a simple solution, if not it might have to go on the back burner for a little while(since we are quite busy with the next dungeon) until we can get someone to test it properly.

Hi i have some decent time on my hands so i was wondering if you still need playtesters the core problem though is summer, (Real life)

because my family and i travel alot but the game i have been playing most recently is Don't Starve, I will try to give as much feedback as possible though! but its up to you and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this im new here and not sure how to pm. anyways thams for reading. Have a nice day.

Hi i have some decent time on my hands so i was wondering if you still need playtesters the core problem though is summer, (Real life)

because my family and i travel alot but the game i have been playing most recently is Don't Starve, I will try to give as much feedback as possible though! but its up to you and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this im new here and not sure how to pm. anyways thams for reading. Have a nice day.

This is the right place to post something like this. 

First you will have to get 5 posts in the forums, so I can send you a PM and talk further. (you can't edit or PM until you get 5 posts)

This is the right place to post something like this. 

First you will have to get 5 posts in the forums, so I can send you a PM and talk further. (you can't edit or PM until you get 5 posts)

ah okay well thanks for the quick reply. quick question any release date yet? 

We certainly don't want to exclude areas of the gaming community, but we also have no plans to change the format of the current UI. Those skills are up there and placed in that location so  they can be used quickly and not take up inv space. 

Unfortunately neither of us owns a controller to test this properly nor do we have a play tester to do it either. Also we currently have NO ides how the controller is implemented in the game except for what is in the code and what you mentioned earlier. 

I will speak with @DeathDisciple later today and see if she has any ideas for a simple solution, if not it might have to go on the back burner for a little while(since we are quite busy with the next dungeon) until we can get someone to test it properly.

I understand, thanks for the answers.

I guess for now i could try playing without using their special ability, or wait a little, anyway there is a lot of mods to try.

But, this one and ''up & away'' are the big ones for now.

Keep it up.

ps- maybe if we ask a dev, they could help on the UI thing, it might be possible to change the UI display of the special skill only when theres a controller activated, and it could be activated this way. Anyway, just an idea. (:

ah okay well thanks for the quick reply. quick question any release date yet? 

Final release? haha it takes a bit to get the art in and we have a lot planned, currently we have almost 10 artists working on this, but it takes some time, my guess for the next large update is 1 to 2 weeks.

*cough* bug (I had an Webber's skull in inventory):

.../Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua:1066: attempt to index field 'hole' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua(1066,1) in function 'onfinish'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/components/workable.lua(96,1) in function 'WorkedBy'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/actions.lua(467,1) in function 'fn'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/bufferedaction.lua(19,1) in function 'Do'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/entityscript.lua(942,1) in function 'PerformBufferedAction'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(1160,1) in function 'fn'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(476,1) in function 'UpdateState'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(515,1) in function 'Update'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(111,1) in function 'Update'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/update.lua(127,1)
scripts/frontend.lua(717,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen
Force aborting...

EDIT:
It's still same when haven't Webber's skull...
Edited by Minik435