[MOD] Hero in the Dark (original thread)

If you want, I help out with some playtesting/writing for this.

We are currently looking for people that are not tied to other mod projects. I've had bad experience with others, in the past that are over extending themselves.

Yeah, I'm currently developing a mod (I HOPE people are interested in it.  I spend a lot of my time making it) which is going to use some levels a LITTLE bit like that.  The problem is that the walls need to obscure your vision, so I would prefer to have the models from the cave walls.

Edited by JackSlender

We are currently looking for people that are not tied to other mod projects. I've had bad experience with others, in the past that are over extending themselves.

Things like testing and writing (unless you're doing quotes of vanilla objects for a modded character.) don't really take that much time to do. Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

Things like testing and writing (unless you're doing quotes of vanilla objects for a modded character.) don't really take that much time to do.

I’m sorry but you really don’t understand the scope of this,

Scripts – Each character has roughly 1151 speech texts for vanilla and the DLC. We have 12 characters planned for this mod, plus we are adding in a vast amount of content.  So that’s 1151 x 12 + the vast number of stuff we have added in and are adding in =  more than 15,000 lines of text. This is not as trivial as you suggest.

Playtesting – “Playtesting is a method of quality control that takes place at many points during the video game design process. A selected group of users play unfinished versions of a game to work out flaws in gameplay, level design and other basic elements, as well as to discover and resolve bugs and glitches. In addition, the process mainly involves clarifying the vague points, adding fun elements or reducing boredom, balancing the victory situations, and so on.”

This is also something that takes a great amount of time, we update the mod daily, so a play tester has to log in, play around and try and break what we have coded, try to find bugs in the mod, try to find unintended mechanics, give feedback etc

We have put a lot of time into the coding/Art/Design and we are looking for others to join us that want to do the same.

I’m sorry but you really don’t understand the scope of this,

Scripts – Each character has roughly 1151 speech texts for vanilla and the DLC.

Which is why I said unless you're doing writing for a modded character. I've written for mods before and I have experience with how large the vanilla speech file is. However, additional quotes for preexisting characters, however, I can do quite easily.

We have 12 characters planned for this mod, plus we are adding in a vast amount of content. So that’s 1151 x 12 + the vast number of stuff we have added in and are adding in = more than 15,000 lines of text. This is not as trivial as you suggest.

Again, I've had experience with this. And since I can work on the quotes from my phone, I think it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Playtesting – “Playtesting is a method of quality control that takes place at many points during the video game design process. A selected group of users play unfinished versions of a game to work out flaws in gameplay, level design and other basic elements, as well as to discover and resolve bugs and glitches. In addition, the process mainly involves clarifying the vague points, adding fun elements or reducing boredom, balancing the victory situations, and so on."

This is also something that takes a great amount of time, we update the mod daily, so a play tester has to log in, play around and try and break what we have coded, try to find bugs in the mod, try to find unintended mechanics, give feedback etc.

Again, I know what it means. If I just wanted to mess around with the mod, I would've downloaded it/waited for release without offering to test. And since U&A just needs art at the moment in order for the alpha release, I'm pretty sure I can test it and this mod at the same time. Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

Hello Everyone,

We have a big update for you all. Here are the release notes, the upload will be up shortly.

1. Goblins – Goblins huts will be placed around certain biomes during world gen. Three goblins will spawn from each hut. Goblins will have a small chance to drop things from a certain random item table, as well as the huts upon destroying the huts. Some goblins will spawn with stove pot helms, these helms are made by the goblins, so they are not very strong, but players will be able to equip these items. These nasty creatures are social, so be careful, they love to gang up on you!

2. Modified the hound wave mechanic (Raiding) – As the hound waves progress, when you have hit the max number of hounds that can come upon you, the next wave will include 1 less hound and plus 1 goblin, the wave after that will include 2 less hounds and plus 2 goblins, until you get down to two hounds and the rest will be goblins. (note; we raised the lowest possible time (days) in between hound attacks, so, you not be getting raid attacks as frequent but the raid attacks will become harder)

3. The Goblin Kings dungeon – Our first dungeon! This includes a 4 floor cave like experience with randomly placed rooms from our room list. Be wary future adventures, this dungeon contains many goblins, traps, treasures, goblin guards, some new creatures, items and the nasty Goblin King! Don't stay in the Goblin Kings realm for too long or you are likely to be set upon ;)

4. New playable character – “The Paladin” This righteous hero lives to battle the forces of evil. He has many new abilities and starts with his trusty “holy sword” a little stronger than a spear and gives a very small amount of sanity per hit(tier 1). (note; character Large portrait coming in next update and check the first page of the thread for more stat and level spoilers once I get the portrait)

5. Many new items/weapons/monsters for you to find on your own.

Edited by kraken121

A little construcitve criticism here, but I think the barbarian is not good enough as he is. The chopping and mining faster doesn't work either.

EDIT: also ghosts are a bit too powerful. It stops you from being able to dig graves early game.

Edited by emerphish

A little construcitve criticism here, but I think the barbarian is not good enough as he is. The chopping and mining faster doesn't work either.

EDIT: also ghosts are a bit too powerful. It stops you from being able to dig graves early game.

The barbarian does not gain a boost to chop/mine until lv 6.

We boosted the ghost mech up to around 50% spawn chance, our plans were to make tombs more dangerous. We are looking for feedback on it though.

The barbarian does not gain a boost to chop/mine until lv 6.

We boosted the ghost mech up to around 50% spawn chance, our plans were to make tombs more dangerous. We are looking for feedback on it though.

Oh, ok I thought it was broken with barbarian, I was wrong. On the topic of ghosts, a 50% chance not only makes it dangerous (which is good) but not very rewarding, as it cuts in half the chance you will get what you want. In my opinion the ghosts should have a 50% chance to spawn along with loot, and make them slightly slower. just suggestions.

Oh, ok I thought it was broken with barbarian, I was wrong. On the topic of ghosts, a 50% chance not only makes it dangerous (which is good) but not very rewarding, as it cuts in half the chance you will get what you want. In my opinion the ghosts should have a 50% chance to spawn along with loot, and make them slightly slower. just suggestions.

currently ghosts can drop 0 to 3 nightmare fuel, might add something in the future, but it will be a lil bit. But thanks for your suggestions, will play around with the speeds of them.

Wait for feedback no longer!

I think the paladin is easily my favorite character, but I have yet to explore the shields. (I have made one, just not used it yet) . The heal spell's cooldown should be a maybe 100 or 200 shorter. I have no idea what turn does, I have used it several times, to no affect. I think that you need to have a list of what things/spells do on the either this page or the mod page.

I do not know if you meant for the batilisks to spawn from the dungeon entrance, or if it is supposed to be called a sinkhole, but I think that it should not function as a sinkhole, it should just serve as an entrance. I am about to go in once I heal, and I will edit this post when I do. 

EDIT: nevermind, I just died.

Edited by emerphish

Wait for feedback no longer!

I think the paladin is easily my favorite character, but I have yet to explore the shields. (I have made one, just not used it yet) . The heal spell's cooldown should be a maybe 100 or 200 shorter. I have no idea what turn does, I have used it several times, to no affect. I think that you need to have a list of what things/spells do on the either this page or the mod page.

I do not know if you meant for the batilisks to spawn from the dungeon entrance, or if it is supposed to be called a sinkhole, but I think that it should not function as a sinkhole, it should just serve as an entrance. I am about to go in once I heal, and I will edit this post when I do. 

EDIT: nevermind, I just died.

The paladin's LOH (lay on hands) is a spell like ability but not an actual spell. Its primary use is a save for an emergency situation, hence the long timer. We will be adding more real spells for him to craft soon. 

Another one of his special abilities is Turn "Turn Undead", hint, try using it around those ghosts you don't like haha

The bats spawning from the dungeon entrance is WAI

I will be updating the main page with more information soon.

I will make another world with the intention of completing the dungeon, and update this post when I do/don't. As a side note, it is annoying that things don't have their own map icon.

Yeah we are working on getting map icons, the team of Artists are quite busy atm making other things, I usually ask them to do the little things in between projects. I assure you, there will be map icons for lots of things.

I keep getting a error every time the hounds are just about to spawn. I'm guessing it is something to due with the goblins since this is the first crash I have had with this mod.BB5PDat.jpg

We just fixed the bug, I will be uploading the patch shortly.

So check this out in a little bit,

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/518-mod-hero-in-the-dark/?st=20#commentsStart

Yeah we are working on getting map icons, the team of Artists are quite busy atm making other things, I usually ask them to do the little things in between projects. I assure you, there will be map icons for lots of things.

I think you should have at least something temporary there as a placeholder for now, but priority on updates and new content is nice.

Oh wow thanks for the fast response! I really like this mod, can't wait to see it continue to improve.

Thank you Alice, glad to see you are enjoying the mod. I am currently uploading the patch to fix the bug right now, it should be finished in a couple minutes. Please let us know if you find anymore bugs. :)