A fourth 'race'

In Don't Strave we currently have 3 races that occupy our would (1 a little bit more developed than the other two)

We have the hostile on sight, punch first and ask questions never race of the Merms.

We have the welcome to our caves, meat is bad, somewhat intelligent Bunnymen.

And

We have the ubiquitous, food is good, light is good, moon is bad Pigs.

I think what we need is another race that is intelligent; a race that will be your friends but it will take a lot more than food to get them on your side.

A race that punch better, are loyal longer and maybe cough up a few rare goodies at the price of giving them technology . Whether by giving them golden tools, a science machine in their camp or some nightmare fuel this race will be your friends and help you survive the perils of this world.

Thoughts?

Oh and I suggest that they be otters :D (otters rule; if you don't agree then you should consult a local physician.)

I would actually love to see survivors from the ruins. Surely SOME of them escaped and made their new homes on the surface or still in the caves. They could hate nightmare fuel after what it did to homeland - or still be dependent on it. Maybe you could have them as a follower, and clockworks won't attack you while they're following (clockworks found in the ruins. I think the ancients built them for defence, right? If not, forget this.".

I would actually love to see survivors from the ruins. Surely SOME of them escaped and made their new homes on the surface or still in the caves. They could hate nightmare fuel after what it did to homeland - or still be dependent on it. Maybe you could have them as a follower, and clockworks won't attack you while they're following (clockworks found in the ruins. I think the ancients built them for defence, right? If not, forget this.".

I had actually hoped that we'd get a new character of the ancient race available to us, unlockable via a ruins setpiece similar to Wes.  Perhaps he saw the coming end and cast a spell that put him in a protective suspended animation like Cthulhu.

Murms r obvius te ruinspeeple.

Dey wre ther befr max gut dere, an the rooins wre ovs tere 2.

Thnk bot it, mk sins.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe merms were the ruins people and the fuel changed them to the worse better

Taurcents?

You see, cause instead of a centaur, which is a horse bottom with a human top, it has a human bottom and a horse top. Geddit?

Yeah. That's terrible.

I'm never getting that image out of my head, now.  Thanks a lot.

What I'd like to see is the remnants of the Ancients as well.  Having tampered with the Nightmare Fuel, of course, they would be completely insane.  My idea is that they would stay far away from you while sane, barely appearing on sane.  However, as you get crazier and crazier, they come closer and closer.  Only when insanity monsters become material do they interact with you.  During this time, they will follow you indefinitely, and will kill any sanity creatures that come near.  Once you go back to being sane, they will vanish and not respawn until the next Nightmare Cycle.

I think I an expansion upon the existing races would be cooler than a whole new race. I always wondered why Pigs guarded grass. They don't build their houses out of straw, so what are they doing? They seem to be changing without Maxwell's knowledge.

I'd vote for ruinspeople. Those statues are so cool, whoever built those has to be a genius race.

Or actually, the clockworks from the ruins might also count a bit. I mean, they're loyal followers, and you have to sacrifice gears to get them to come with you.

On that note, I'd wish we could actually do more with those "societies". I always liked the idea of having pigs expand and improve their village with walls, cobbled roads, perhaps some forms of farms, and you could help their development by offering technical shizzle wizzle to the pig king.

Hmmm, I think them being extinct is a very crucial part of the whole feeling down there. Civilization gone, only the remnants lie down there or jump around (clockworks) it's like a Hayao Miyazaki movie/manga like Nausicaä or Castle in the Sky.

The weapons remain, not he people. Also I think they were somehow connected to Maxwell. Building the Clockworks and working/researching the Nightmarefuel for him.

Looking at races

QltGwfF.png

rimg0251t.jpg

rimg0254i.jpg

Oh and I suggest that they be otters :grin: (otters rule; if you don't agree then you should consult a local physician.)

If they live in a tesla biome, and their reward to you is mad science, then yes, I support.  

This could be an interesting combo: The Ottermen are a race of eccentric and fiendish yet friendly tinkerers.  For the right offer they can give you some scientific gadgets or even fortify your structures to make them stronger/flame resistant or just let them upgrade the science machines to grant you some unique crafting recipes.  

Archived