Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Ysulyan

Where are you, Treeguards?

Ysulyan    3,920

I do not know if you guys have been having the same strange feeling that no matter how many trees you cut, none of them will turn into a Monster and try to smite you... Its making me feel strangely uneasy. I've chopped down trees ever since my world was generated, played like 60 ingame days and yet no Treeguard to protect the Evergreens I obliterate has appeared.

brummbar7    513

Ya, I definitely got that same feeling.  My most recent world which is at like 110 days, I have had only 1 spawn the entire game, and I've leveled quite a few pine forests with my pig army (in order to run my flingers all summer).   The one that did spawn was a lumpy one and the biggest one of all, which is always impressive.  to bad he wandered into the killer bees.  I'm really looking forward to the deciduous treeguard.  And hoping it will have a different behavior than the existing ones, based on the art we've seen so far.

Tamazacat    130

Mine keep spawning after 10 days. Not complaining as they're easy to kill.

Try befriending 3+ pigs and chopping down a dense forest (e.g. one you planted). That's how mine always happens :p

VelenoRosso    6

i have similiar problem.in vanila game, they were spawning like crazy (8 -10) in first 100 days, now i had to replant forest (i've cut EVERY SINGLE EVERGREEN on surface) in order to get two of them (around day 110).

Wilbur    140

A rook destroyed trees and spawned one for me, and that's the only one I've encountered in RoG. 

Zalyn    69

I noticed a low treeguard spawn rate as well.  I am a hippie, so I plant lots of trees near my camp to chop at night, and I usually get several spawning through the winter. But my latest game just had one spawn by the end of winter, so it does feel like it's a bit lower now.

JanH    6,394

Hey guys, are you playing with custom worlds or default? If you're on custom worlds, do you have Treeguards set to Less, Default, More, or Lots?

Ysulyan    3,920

Hey guys, are you playing with custom worlds or default? If you're on custom worlds, do you have Treeguards set to Less, Default, More, or Lots?

I've always sticked to the default settings.

Mr_E_Fox    59

I felt I noticed a decrease of Treeguards when the Totally Normal Trees came out, but I can't verify that.

Right now I've had no trouble getting Treeguards. I have 2 stacks of living logs at ~90 days, but also about 19 stacks of logs in storage. I like to go crazy and plant 80 tree groves then go to town with 5+ pigs over 2 days to cut and collect fully grown trees and their stumps in the long summer days.

I also got a treeguard setpiece, but I haven't tackled that yet. It's literally right next to a Walrus camp, and it's so fun to watch them get destroyed by walking trees.

scize    50

yeah no problems here either. i noticed different people have different problems. it may be due to mods or something

Zalyn    69

Default. 

I avoid doing custom worlds so I can have a better comparison for playtesting/bughunting.  The only think I tweak is starting season to Fall (since I'm used to playing that way and am interested in checking winter mechanics).

VelenoRosso    6

Default.

Ysulyan    3,920

yeah no problems here either. i noticed different people have different problems. it may be due to mods or something

For the record, the mods I use are Display Food Values, Wide FOV and the Minimap HUD.

VelenoRosso    6

a little update.

i'm testing Adventure Mode now, i'm in the third world now.So far i got one Treeguard day 8 in King of Winter (World no1) and one Treeguard day 12 in Archipelago (World no2). Now im even more confused...

brummbar7    513

My most recent maxwell world I have like 6 from 4 different spawns (day 100-ish).  Which is starting to get annoying as I can't get my pigs over to clearcut that forest anymore.  SO I guess I was just unlucky in my other world (which I kind of suspected), so no problems here now.

Arkelkia    1

I have tree guards spawning now and then when I cut a lot of trees.

But I almot discovered the whole map and no "totally normal tree" anymore ! so far :(

Everthing is on default but less hound and more table rezz.

simplex    2,608

It's random, though I seem to always get too many treeguards spawning. In my current save (default map settings) I got 3 before day 20, including a large one which led to a crazy fight overnight where I had to dual wield torches and spears.

Ysulyan    3,920

I had to dual wield torches and spears.

Mindblown. Why can't we dual wield? I mean, a torch could go in one hand, not deal damage, and then you could use another one-handed device on the other hand

Back into the subject, I have successfully lived a whole DS year, beaten the Ancient Guardian, watched the Deerclops have fun with a Hound Mound city, battled the Spider Queens, but still, no Treeguards. It is beginning to worry me.

simplex    2,608

Mindblown. Why can't we dual wield? I mean, a torch could go in one hand, not deal damage, and then you could use another one-handed device on the other hand

I think that would hurt balance somewhat. Having to choose between a weapon and a hand held light source is a nice touch by my book. What I meant by "dual wielding" is quickly switching between the two, as in "attack, attack, switch to torch, dodge, switch to spear, repeat".

Back into the subject, I have successfully lived a whole DS year, beaten the Ancient Guardian, watched the Deerclops have fun with a Hound Mound city, battled the Spider Queens, but still, no Treeguards. It is beginning to worry me.

Yeah, the variance in the spawning is quite high. That's why the totally normal trees where introduced, as far as I can tell.