Clockwork Pawns

I remember seeing that concept art for pawns:  http://jeffagala.tumblr.com/post/72700580068/dont-starve-concept-art    Reminded me of spiders.  In that concept art they have a small lightbulb on their head, so maybe they would be like clockwork spitters.   They should spawn from some sort of 'den' constructor thing.  If they do have a ranged attack, that would probably make them dangerous enough to drop a gear or gold once in awhile.  Not sure we want to make gears completely renewable though...

I don't like the idea of them respawning. Just some of them at certain locations of the world, and of course in the ruins, I'd say. I do like the idea of them being spitter spider clockworks though.

I remember seeing that concept art for pawns: http://jeffagala.tumblr.com/post/72700580068/dont-starve-concept-art Reminded me of spiders. In that concept art they have a small lightbulb on their head, so maybe they would be like clockwork spitters. They should spawn from some sort of 'den' constructor thing. If they do have a ranged attack, that would probably make them dangerous enough to drop a gear or gold once in awhile. Not sure we want to make gears completely renewable though...

PS I wish there was a biome with some of the other scenery in that concept art. Made me think of a 'ruined London' sort of vibe. Like Maxwell had constructed an army of robots to take over England!

Yes yes yes! WHY DON'T THEY HAVE THIS?!

They even have a pawn for Maxwell's sake! It was planned; implement it!

I think we're not pawns, or we're the white ones, and we need black(orange) ones. The Good are the White and the Bads are the Black (orange). So Queen is Charlie and King is Maxwell, but we need pawns.

My old concept art for them:

https://imageshack.com/i/ngmsy7j

This is a dwemer spider with an eye :p 

I think that pawns could spawn in large numbers but have low health, they'd try to swarm the player or something like that.

Hurm... the rook looks sort of like it based on the Ancient Guardian so maybe the queen could be sort of based on the Spider Queen, who repare's the spider-like Clockwork Pawns instead of re-spawning them... the Pawns could therefore drop nothing because they are part of the Queen's 'weapons' (so no cheap Gears) but the Queen could drop 4 Gears and maybe a purple gemstone and/or a special boss drop (if she's considered a boss).

Also the king could be a really week living creature protected by the Queen, who is necessary to keep the clockwork monsters wound up and running at full efficiency (stronger then now) but when killed the clockwork will gradually become slower more easily destroyed (maybe a tad weaker then they are now).

Come to think of it... all the chess pieces are based off some other creature in the world (Rook is Ancient Guardian, Bishop is Tallbird, that pawn concept art is spider), except the Knights. Maybe we could see the creature the knights are based off at some point?

Neither is Maxwell and he's the king, right? Or are the shadow creatures considered the king?

The Shadow creature or them is the players of chess game

Come to think of it... all the chess pieces are based off some other creature in the world (Rook is Ancient Guardian, Bishop is Tallbird, that pawn concept art is spider), except the Knights. Maybe we could see the creature the knights are based off at some point?

I actually made a thread talking about this.

No the Bishop is the deer clops because he is only comes in winter (and there maybe a bosses that only appear in each season) and the pawns are the playable characters (excluding Maxwell). But I can't help but think who the Ancient Guardian once was (Maxwell claimed he was a freind of his). I also can't help but think if there is another villian beside Them [(Wigfrid and Webber maybe the enemy peices). If that is what the developers had in mind, then I would suggest changing Wigfrid and Webber's names to start with the letters "B or P"]. Yes I know the names starting all the names with "W" was unintentional at first, but it would make sence that way.

I remember seeing that concept art for pawns:  http://jeffagala.tumblr.com/post/72700580068/dont-starve-concept-art    Reminded me of spiders.  In that concept art they have a small lightbulb on their head, so maybe they would be like clockwork spitters.   They should spawn from some sort of 'den' constructor thing.  If they do have a ranged attack, that would probably make them dangerous enough to drop a gear or gold once in awhile.  Not sure we want to make gears completely renewable though...

PS I wish there was a biome with some of the other scenery in that concept art.  Made me think of a 'ruined London' sort of vibe.  Like Maxwell had constructed an army of robots to take over England!

Woah, I clockwork biome would be awesome!

Yes, it sure as hell would be!

Yes yes yes! WHY DON'T THEY HAVE THIS?!

They even have a pawn for Maxwell's sake! It was planned; implement it!

All I can say is ALL OF THIS. I want a biome that looks like that art so bad right now.

Archived