Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Tamazacat

"Choppy" Savannah Biome

Tamazacat    130

This is my second map with ol' Wilson. In the vanilla the savannah biomes are vast. In the RoG DLC, however....

post-354044-0-67217900-1395014014_thumb.

In the previous map which is now lost there were LOADS of savannah biomes... just... all cut up akin to this one. I thought I just had a bad map, but it appears to be here, too...

Anyone else getting this, or am I just unlucky?

Cheers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the savannah biomes are so small that beefalo don't appear to spawn.

porps    118

There are mixed biomes, where you get patches of everything, thats what it looks like on your screenshot (see there is grass turf and forest turf too?) i see a lot of "mini savannas" in those biomes, but theres always been another large full savanna biome on every map i've played.

If you havent uncovered the whole map, chances are you just havent found it yet.

Tamazacat    130

Hmmm... Maybe so, although on my previous map I had uncovered most of it. Perhaps it really is bad luck. Or maybe the world of Don't Starve REALLY wants me to die quickly :p

brummbar7    513

Like porps said, I don't think I've ever had a map without at least one full savanna biome.  Those choppy ones, there always seems to be one near the center of the map, and often they seem to be present at 'transitions' to other biomes.  I'd guess your world is normal, since it looks like you have a lot of exploring yet to do.

Tamazacat    130

I was saying that the problem was prevalent in my previous map. Other biomes (mostly) seem to be large, but in my previous map at day 37 or so with plenty of exploration I hadn't found a single large savannah biome.

Maybe it's just really bad luck. :(

porps    118

do you still have your previous map? I've never used console commands, but i know theres one which will reveal the map. If you have your old world still perhaps you could try it just to make sure there really is no biome (i fully understand that you might not want to "cheat" on your current world).

Reason i'm saying this is i've had worlds where i thought i'd explored just about everything, and not been able to find X resource. Then eventually i've ended up finding another biome with exactly the missing resource that i assumed hadnt been created. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you need to be 100% sure.

Tamazacat    130

I lost my old map, sorry :(

However, I did find a massive savannah in my current one, just like the above posters said - many choppy ones around it.

I had never encountered this before RoG, though. Savannah biomes seem to be few and far between (for the most part) compared to swamps and woodlands, etc.

rezecib    3,144

I was saying that the problem was prevalent in my previous map. Other biomes (mostly) seem to be large, but in my previous map at day 37 or so with plenty of exploration I hadn't found a single large savannah biome.

Maybe it's just really bad luck. :(

Maybe you need more systematic exploration... Normally what I do is go along the coast of the whole world, which usually takes about 7 days. That gives you a whole biome map of the world, and as others have said, there's always been a full savannah when I've done this.