(SPOILERS) A thread about "It" (Old Bell)

So, ive managed to build myself an Old Bell and summon "Bigfoot"

Nearly gave me a god damn heart attack.

Is there any way to fight the thing? Ive tried getting it to step on mines/tooth traps, dodging and trying to hit it, or just chasing after its footprints, but all to no avail.

So, that leaves the question, CAN you fight it? Or is it a means of not so reliable combat?

Either way, love it. Love losing all my armor and being frightened Dx

(Sorry if theres already a thread like this, but I couldnt find one.

Well, look at the feet in the Spring Teaser. They look pretty similar, so I would imagine eventually it'll lay an egg if it's Spring, and then somehow the egg will hatch the giant that you actually fight (some have suggested it needs to be struck by lightning to hatch).

One of them has claws, one of them has duck feet.

How is that alike O.o

One of them has claws, one of them has duck feet.

How is that alike O.o

They're both three-toed bird feet? Ducks actually have claws, y'know. Look at this one.

My guess? They had the concept and just did a sketch for the teaser, and now they've got proper artwork in. The teaser foot was just a silhouette (most "black" things in Don't Starve are filled in the same way, like they've been scribbled. See spiders).

Actually I do not think there is any connection between the old bell (which isn't that hard to create after all) and spring giant. 

The color does not match, and they were not reptile the bigfoots are. 

Also the spring giant, in my opinion looks exactly like the Goose or meese or whatever fans are calling it we saw in the egg (It's the same creature). The spring poster does support that theory.

On the other hand, seeing both of the bigfoots legs, and the way it walks, implies that this creature is build  very similarly to the tallbirds. Just it's a LOT taller. But yeah two loooong legs, and small body up there. most likely no arms or wings, and head has to be merged with body. Otherwise it wouldn't have to balance it's walk like it does. 

Someone said something about it being officially "the king of the giants", I don't know if they had a quote.

I think it's just a reference to Godzilla, who's often called "the king of monsters". The DS giant (or at least its feet) has similar appearance to Godzilla.

I kept messing with it, and I think it's a tool for mass destrution rather than combat. Plant a 8x8 square of trees and ring the bell when they grow for near-instant logs. Take out a pig village in one fell swoop for all of the loot. Clear out that chess biome and steal all of the yummy marble.

This is clearly just a wmd for clearing spider dens or swamps.  There's no way you'd ever fight that thing, unless you could make a landmine using like 20 gears and 60 gunpowder.  I wouldn't even be a contest.   I think it's completely separate from the giants.  If it was involved with the spring giant you could just never summon it and therefore never have to fight the spring giant.

This is clearly just a wmd for clearing spider dens or swamps.  There's no way you'd ever fight that thing, unless you could make a landmine using like 20 gears and 60 gunpowser.  I wouldn't even be a contest.   I think it's completely separate from the giants.  If it was involved with the spring giant you could just never summon it and therefore never have to fight the spring giant.

I agree with you.

But I must add... Let`s remember the trailers. Maybe it lay eggs with the season`s giant inside.

The DLC is called Reign of Giants, so maybe there are more giants than the 4 boss giants announced already. Maybe the other giants can't be attacked (like "bigfoot") but do certain "tasks" for you (in this case clear a massive area for you). It would be awesome to have a world filled with giants that indirectly do things for you and would really added to the atmosphere of Don't Stare

I just want lots of giants 

I agree with you.

But I must add... Let`s remember the trailers. Maybe it lay eggs with the season`s giant inside.

But again, the only way it's going to be a threat in that case is if you use the bell, or if it sometimes randomly appears.  I'm pretty sure that if that thing starts randomly showing up in spring and stomping peoples' bases flat, there's going to be a riot.

Edit: Also think of the spring poster.  We saw the shadow of the spring giant behind the trees.  It was most definitely NOT a giant leg.

This bell thing is a goddamn joke! :D

I rang it, then i died.... it was altough funny and annoying, but i have touchstones, so...

Anyway, giant or not giant, i think the developers reached their goal:

THEY SUPRISED US ( finally)

:D

Someone said something about it being officially "the king of the giants", I don't know if they had a quote. In the update desc. they said no seasonal giants were added.

I agree with him. King of Giants; HE FRICKING TURNED DEERCLOPS INTO A FRICKING PANCAKE!!! He deserves that title...

This bell thing is a goddamn joke! :D

I rang it, then i died.... it was altough funny and annoying, but i have touchstones, so...

Anyway, giant or not giant, i think the developers reached their goal:

THEY SUPRISED US ( finally)

:D

It could be a teaser of a secret giant ya know. It is called "Reign of Giants". And if it is, I will finally have a reason to pack up and RUN THE HELL AWAY!!!

it will target the place where you rung the bell

I got the bell, spawned deerclops and used the panflute from the set piece to sleep him before hugging him and ringing the bell, only to watch him get owned by that dismembered foot (I ACTUALLY saw the top of the foot. It not connected to anything at all!)

I posted this on a different thread but I'll post it here too. The giant (well more like titan) is not the spring giant, for one they said there were no seasonal giants in this patch. Also the seasonal giants will be about the same size as deerclops. (sine well deerclops is one of the four seasonal giants)

Archived