March 12 Reign of Giants Beta Update - A Feet of Strength

SethR

So, the way I understand it: Bigfoot, or Cthulhu as I lovingly name him, since his legs are green and scaley and he must've come from the ocean, isn't an enemy you can summon, but more of a meteor spell that destroys structures and causes havoc in a semi-random area. That's a really clever move, kudos for that Klei.

One thing that *bugs* me in this update though: Glommer. His wing flapping is just way too loud, and those weird noises he makes are just uncomfortable. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I feel like that guy needs some fine tuning. Also, that sanity boost is just a bit too good (though honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if you'd leave it like that) I'm pretty sure he isn't completely finished yet though, seeing how his goop has no use yet and all that, so I'll just wait and see. (Also, he looks like a shadow crawler. It's scary.)

• Developer

Birchnuts.

Do birchnuts only drop 1 birchnut per tree, even if you chop down the big ones? As an Environmentally Conscious player I find this disturbing that I know the majestic Birchnut tree will go extinct as a species because it cannot multiply. If the problem is that birchnuts are too nutritious, is it possible to somehow in a different way let birchnut trees be able to "expand"? Or can they regrow from their stumps after a season? Somehow it should be possible to grow a new and bigger birchnut tree forest, just like you can do with pines I think.

Piggybag:

Thank you for this. The cost of it is high, and it is now a lovely object that I will work towards getting. I made it once in my other games and didn't bother with it until I had so many pigskins that I didn't know what to spend them on.

Burnable pack:

Oh no! That is quite a penalty. Will all my content burn inside it or will just the container flame up? I read this as if I leave it on the ground it can catch fire if a lightning strikes for example. IS that true?

Tree shade:

I started out as Robot, and during rain I tried to stay under a tree, but it didn't seem to stop me from taking damage. I wonder if the feedback for "being under a tree" should be more clear? A distinct sound of raindrops that falls on leaves instead? Right now I am not seeing it and it made me doubt if it had any effect.

Pretty Parasol (or what it is called)

In the same game where I started out as Robot, rain began on Day 1. As trees didnt seem to protect me I created this parasol to protect myself from rain. But if it had any effect, it was so little that I was down to 6 hp when the rain stopped. Not easy to pull back from at Day 2 :(

Either the Parasol is too inefficient when playing robot, or the damage taken is too high. I even tried standing with the parasol under a tree but nothing really happened. Took seemingly same damage amount.

There will be a way to expand Birchnut Tree forests coming in the next update. It definitely won't be as trivially easy as with pine cones, though.

The backpack can catch fire in all of the same ways that anything else can catch fire. If it burns up, it will spit out its contents onto the ground (much like the chest does). It's possible that they will then catch on fire, but not guaranteed.

The shelter provided by trees is not 100%. It will simply reduce the rate at which the player gets wet/gets hot a little bit. When your character gets near a tree that can give shelter for the first time each day where the shelter would actually do something (i.e. it's raining or hot out), they will say something to indicate they are sheltered. We may look into additional ways to feed back that mechanic.

As with the tree shelter, the Pretty Parasol will not completely protect you from the rain. With WX-78, if he is getting wet, then he will take damage. You will need multiple pieces of rain gear or one piece of very effective rain gear to prevent him getting damaged.

Will Wickerbottom be able to use the Siesta Lean-To or must she find other ways of keeping cool since it counts as a 'sleepable'?

Will the icebox recipe get emended to need ice? Maybe instead of boards?

Will we get a new item to store weapons and clothes in; like a weapon rack or a hat stand?

Will we get anymore decorationy things like the flooring and potted fern?

• Developer

Hey, we just pushed a hotfix to solve some issues!

Build # 97989

• The game will no longer crash if you save and quit while your character is talking.
  • Fixed some bugs relating to Glommer that caused him to be in the world when he shouldn't be.
  • Added some missing description strings.
  • Fixed a bug where DSP changes during summer wouldn't reset.
  • Feeding birds in birdcages will now fill them up. When a bird starves to death in a bird cage, the bird cage will properly empty and drop bird loot.
  • Improved the behaviours of the Iceflingomatic.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Mini Glacier to drop too much ice.
  • Fixed moles displaying the wrong name when starving.
  • Fixed thermal stone behaving improperly after cooling in an ice box. Could not reproduce other bugs reported with thermal stone after making this fix.

Hey, we just pushed a hotfix to solve some issues!Build # 97989

• The game will no longer crash if you save and quit while your character is talking.
  • Fixed some bugs relating to Glommer that caused him to be in the world when he shouldn't be.
  • Added some missing description strings.
  • Fixed a bug where DSP changes during summer wouldn't reset.
  • Feeding birds in birdcages will now fill them up. When a bird starves to death in a bird cage, the bird cage will properly empty and drop bird loot.
  • Improved the behaviours of the Iceflingomatic.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Mini Glacier to drop too much ice.
  • Fixed moles displaying the wrong name when starving.
  • Fixed thermal stone behaving improperly after cooling in an ice box. Could not reproduce other bugs reported with thermal stone after making this fix.
Have you fixed the WX-78 spoilage issue ?

I talked here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32761-wx-78-has-now-all-side-effects-of-spoiled-food-please-hotfix/

I also posted a way to manually fix it on the same topic.

Also a question, even with Umbrella WX-78 takes damages from rain and at same speed, it's normal ?

Thanks.

;)

Edit: Arf, no probs with umbrella, it was because I had humidity.

Have you fixed the WX-78 spoilage issue ?

I talked here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32761-wx-78-has-now-all-side-effects-of-spoiled-food-please-hotfix/

I also posted a manually way to fix it on the same topic.

Also a question, even with Umbrella WX-78 takes damages from rain and at same speed, it's normal ?

Thanks.

;)

Arrête de flooder NgXAlex.  :emmersed:

Ok after playing around with the catcoons I can confirm they are the best thing ever!

So adorable and tameable too c:

I think we should be able to make cat furniture to attract Catcoons to out base and so we can have a whole base full of them c:

They are amazing if you are playing as Wigfrid 

How much health does Glommer have? I accidentally hit him with a spear, as you can simply attack it if not careful. I don't like that. I only want to be able to attack him with the force attack command, I don't want him to die, he's waaaaaay too cute. <3. Also, does he have health regen?

How much health does Glommer have? I accidentally hit him with a spear, as you can simply attack it if not careful. I don't like that. I only want to be able to attack him with the force attack command, I don't want him to die, he's waaaaaay too cute. <3. Also, does he have health regen?

Looking at glommer.lua, I don't see any specified health or health regen, so I'm assuming that he uses the wilson_health variable, which is set to 150. That should mean no regen, too.

Will there be an exothermic torch?

The normal torch is exothermic, it breaks matter into smaller parts through burning releasing energy in the form of light and heat. If you mean an endothermic torch I guess it could absorb light and cool you down but considering how expensive endothermic fires are I don’t think it would be very useful.

The normal torch is exothermic, it breaks matter into smaller parts through burning releasing energy in the form of light and heat. If you mean an endothermic torch I guess it could absorb light and cool you down but considering how expensive endothermic fires are I don’t think it would be very useful.

Whoops, typed the wrong one.

And I know what exothermic means...Wickerbottom thought me so!

As with the tree shelter, the Pretty Parasol will not completely protect you from the rain. With WX-78, if he is getting wet, then he will take damage. You will need multiple pieces of rain gear or one piece of very effective rain gear to prevent him getting damaged.

I suggested it elsewhere, but I'll do it again: having a parasol or a tree should at least reduce the rate at which WX takes damage. It's not a huge deal, but I think it would add a sense of security when you span up your umbrella and don't get damaged all that much anymore. Like, it feels like what you are doing has a point. Or something. Okay, I don't know where I'm going with this anymore, all I'm saying is that I suggest that having an umbrella-like protection should reduce the damage rate.

Is it me or all the sounds are kind of muffled in Summer? Also I forgot to make the ice cube hat, is there any other way to survive Summer without roasting to death?

As overheating sets in during summer, sounds become more and more muffled as sort of an audio feedback system

Archived