March 12 Reign of Giants Beta Update - A Feet of Strength

SethR

Just a small little question, as I haven't had much time to play after the update (because schhol, of course...).

Right now, there is not any point to spawn the giant, right? (other than testing)

Nope, there is, apparently. Smashing a statue (the one featured in the trailer) rewards you with an 'Old Bell' Blueprint from what I've heard.

Nope, there is, apparently. Smashing a statue (the one featured in the trailer) rewards you with an 'Old Bell' Blueprint from what I've heard.

That I've heard. What I meant was if there's any sense in spawning the giant with the bell. I mean, from what I've read, you can't kill it, it will kill you and it destroys the world (?). I don't see why you'd spawn it in, if not just for testing of course.

If not there now, I guess they'll add a reason later on :-)

That I've heard. What I meant was if there's any sense in spawning the giant with the bell. I mean, from what I've read, you can't kill it, it will kill you and it destroys the world (?). I don't see why you'd spawn it in, if not just for testing of course.

It's basically a bigger more expensive hammer with only 3 uses.

Where ever you ring the bell it will strike exactly there and then proceed to make another footstep or 2 then disappear.

If not there now, I guess they'll add a reason later on :-)

Sorry, I mis-read the comment. My bad. :)

It's basically a bigger more expensive hammer with only 3 uses.

Where ever you ring the bell it will strike exactly there and then proceed to make another footstep or 2 then disappear.

Aha, I understand! Still, it doesn't make much sense to me ;)

Sorry, I mis-read the comment. My bad. :-)

No problem!

Live for All Platforms!

Hey everyone! We just set the build for the update live on Steam. Sometimes Steam is a bit slow propagating out patches, so it might be a few minutes before you get it. Please be patient. You also may need to restart Steam or verify the game cache to get it to update. Enough of that boring stuff, though!

First, the bad news. What’s not in the update (please keep in mind that these things are coming soon):

• None of the seasonal giants are in the update.
  • Webber.
  • There are still some items to go in.
  • A few “events”.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get on to the good stuff! Here's what we did do (this list is way bigger)!

Hotfixes prior to this update:

• Fixed crashes, functionality issues and load times with mods.
  • Fixed crashes with customizing Deerclops, Smallbird targeting stack overflow.
  • Fixed Koalefant not spawning.
  • Rebalanced Tumbleweed loot tables.
  • Rebalanced food stats on Acorns.
  • Fixed planted Acorns being edible by creatures and having incorrect name.

New things (deliberately vague so that you can discover it for yourselves and, through that, provide us with valuable feedback about your discovery process):

• New character.
  • Two new creatures.
  • Two new hats.
  • New fruit.
  • 5th save slot.

Bug Fixes and Optimizations:

• Fixed crash with Stewer (crock pot) on finish cooking.
  • Fixed crash with IsWithered() call.
  • Fixed crash with Werepigs not having a valid home after their house got burnt.
  • Fixed bugs with moisture in winter (i.e. snow being treated like rain).
  • Fixed how moisture works for inventory items. When raining, items will now tend towards the moisture of their current “owner” (the player/ the world). When not raining, items will dry off.
  • Fixed bug with heat stone not getting hot enough or retaining heat properly.
  • Improved performance around the deciduous trees (now called Birchnut Trees).
  • Improved performance issues caused by tumbleweeds getting updated when they should not.
  • Fixed bug with items not correctly being added to stacks inside of containers when trying to do the Store action.
  • Fixed crash in some mods resulting from containers saving and loading their number of slots.
  • Fixed torch and fires lowering temperature in Summer.
  • Fixed not being able to pick up an inventory item after an Ice Flingomatic had extinguished a fire on it.
  • Fixed being able to create cactus seeds.
  • Fixed ice hat being repairable with the sewing kit. It can now be repaired with ice instead.
  • Fixed temperature and moisture levels not resetting when respawning with a Touchstone.
  • Fixed bug with world customization settings getting lost when changing your character after changing world customization settings.
  • Fixed bug with Volt Goat outline showing if lightning strikes right after it died.
  • Fixed Moleworm playing the rabbit murder sound when killed in the inventory.
  • Fixed science machines still functioning after being burnt.
  • Fixed wet prefix being added to items where the string would be redundant (i.e. Wet Goop, Pond).
  • Fixed Summer DSP being a copy of Winter DSP (it now has its own filtering).
  • Fixed traps consuming bait items nearby on the ground when the bait item did not match the animal being trapped.
  • Fixed various backpacks covering the moisture meter. There may still be issues with this on larger HUD sizes.
  • Fixed rotten prefix appearing on Ice.
  • Fixed bug with birds disappearing after entering the inventory for a second time.
  • Fixed overheating deaths being listed as “Shenanigans” in the morgue screen.
  • Fixed crashes with io functions for mods.
  • Fixed background of the morgue screen not matching other screens with Reign of Giants installed.
  • Fixed Ice not properly disappearing from inventory slots when it perishes.
  • Fixed the Breezy Vest crafting description so that it no longer implies that it is effective during Summer.
  • Fixed red overlay not disappearing after sleeping to reduce temperature.
  • Fixed infinite looping sound from the Ice Flingomatic.
  • Fixed minimap icons of burnt structures still being visible.
  • Fixed a save flow bug where inventory items that held references to other entities would not properly return the entity GUID when saving if they were held.
  • A number of bug fixes that were made for the PS4 release of the game.

Balance Changes, New Behaviors and Misc:

• Improved feedback of wet items, both in the world and in your inventory: blue text for wet items, blue borders on wet items in your inventory and more descriptive adjectives for different types of items.
  • Changed Acorns to Birchnuts, made them edible only when cooked and reduced the amount dropped by trees, which are now called Birchnut Trees.
  • Digging up a withered plant will no longer yield a dug plant.
  • Made it so that jerky will start to spoil on meat racks after it finishes drying.
  • Made small creatures that you can hold in your inventory perishable (i.e. they will die of starvation). You can feed them their normal foods to keep them alive.
  • Ice Flingomatic will now prioritize targets according to threat level.
  • Reduced the movement speed penalty of the Piggyback and made it waterproof.
  • Krampus Sack is now waterproof.
  • Made the backpack burnable.
  • Reduce the amount of loot given by digging up a Moleworm Burrow and add a delay to the Moleworm making a new home after its burrow has been dug up.
  • Make eating raw cactus painful but eating cooked cactus beneficial.
  • Renamed Heat Stone to Thermal Stone.
  • Made the Lightning Rod and Electrical Doodad have distinct recipes.
  • Changed the recipe for the Rain Hat to differentiate it more from the Rain Coat.
  • Reduced the multipliers for the More and Lots options in world customization.
  • Changed the recipe for the Endothermic Fire to include Nitre.
  • Nitre now works as fuel for Endothermic Fires and the Ice Flingomatic.
  • Made feathers work as fuel.
  • Added being able to use the Ice Staff and Ice to extinguish smoldering items and fires.
  • Trees will now offer some shade and protection from the rain.
  • Make Ice Cube and Pretty Parasol perishable.
  • Made rain cool the world down during the Summer.
  • Added chance to get Gold Nugget back when Endothermic Fire expires.
  • Added Fire Staff being able to light burnable objects from a distance.
  • Increased fuel filled by adding fuel items to the Ice Flingomatic.
  • Make the Straw Hat provide some shade in Summer.
  • Made creatures slightly less aggressive in Spring.
  • Rebalanced damage on player being struck by lightning.
  • Split out Smother action to be distinct from Fertilize action, as not all fertilizers are valid smotherers.
  • Wildfires can no longer start while it’s raining. Rain will also extinguish any smoldering objects.
  • Added small waterproofing to a few equippable items (Miner’s Hat, Breezy Vest).
  • Improved feedback of the current season on game start: for Autumn start, trees will start with their colorful leaves, etc.
  • Added chance for smashed skulls to drop Hound’s Tooth.
  • Rabbit holes will now wait for the first rain of Spring to collapse.
  • Make Moleworms not attack-able earlier in their exit animation.
  • Added collision to the Cactus.
  • Added a few more things that can come out of a Tumbleweed.
  • Changed the description of the Ice Flingomatic to make it clearer that it’s fueled.
  • Added chance for Mini Glaciers to give 1-2 additional pieces of Ice over its base amount for each size.
  • Reduced hunger drain from using the Siesta Canopy.
  • Ice Cube will now make you wet when it perishes.
  • Made it so that when a plant gets picked, it is no longer protected by the Ice Flingomatic: it will have to fire at it again.
  • Changed the recipe for the Alchemy Engine.
  • Increased the number of stacks a Moleworm can carry to 3.
  • Make the Hammer have no tech requirement and change the recipe to not require any items that require a Science Machine.
  • Reduce the number of Worms.
  • Removed the temperature bonus and reduce the moisture accrual rate bonus in the caves.

Now, a quick bit of housekeeping:

Hotfix 97796:

• Fixed some crashes when crafting items.
  • Watermelons can now grow on farms.
  • Fixed a crash that happened when an animal starved to death in a chest.
  • Added some missing strings.
  • Improved the behaviour of some loot dropped by tumbleweeds.
  • Fixed Glommer's Statue being infinitely mineable. 
  • You can now have a chest (or ice box or chester) and crockpot open at the same time.

That's it. Just those few things.

Now what? Get playing! And keep the bug reports and feedback coming! Even though we don't always post a reply, we're absorbing all of the feedback you're providing. The next update will include more new content, more bug fixes and more balance changes. In the meantime, discover, enjoy and Don't Starve.

What are some of these 'events' perchance? It will help if I knew what to look for!

• Developer

Was not away of that.

I think it should stay as a shenanigan though :razz:

Yeah, the foot death cause not having its own string was an oversight on our part. That said, we may just keep it as is 'cause "Shenanigans" is a pretty good descriptor here. :)

• Developer

@SethR

I was just looking at the code for the Krampus Sack and the Piggy Backpack, they have the waterproofer component but the effectiveness is set to 0 so they are not waterproof so the change log is very misleading.

They actually are waterproof. The way that the waterproofer component is implemented is that if an item has it, it will not get wet. If it has a waterproof effectiveness value of > 0 then it will actually protect the player from getting wet. We wanted the piggyback and krampus sack to not be able to get wet (i.e. not able to cause sanity drain), but not to protect the player (after all, they're backpacks). Sorry if that was confusing.

Live for All Platforms!

Balance Changes, New Behaviors and Misc:

• Changed Acorns to Birchnuts, made them edible only when cooked and reduced the amount dropped by trees, which are now called Birchnut Trees.
  •  
  • Reduced the movement speed penalty of the Piggyback and made it waterproof.
  •  
  • Made the backpack burnable.
  •  
  • Reduced the multipliers for the More and Lots options in world customization.
  •  
  • Trees will now offer some shade and protection from the rain.

Now what? Get playing! And keep the bug reports and feedback coming! Even though we don't always post a reply, we're absorbing all of the feedback you're providing. The next update will include more new content, more bug fixes and more balance changes. In the meantime, discover, enjoy and Don't Starve.

Birchnuts.

Do birchnuts only drop 1 birchnut per tree, even if you chop down the big ones? As an Environmentally Conscious player I find this disturbing that I know the majestic Birchnut tree will go extinct as a species because it cannot multiply. If the problem is that birchnuts are too nutritious, is it possible to somehow in a different way let birchnut trees be able to "expand"? Or can they regrow from their stumps after a season? Somehow it should be possible to grow a new and bigger birchnut tree forest, just like you can do with pines I think.

Piggybag:

Thank you for this. The cost of it is high, and it is now a lovely object that I will work towards getting. I made it once in my other games and didn't bother with it until I had so many pigskins that I didn't know what to spend them on.

Burnable pack:

Oh no! That is quite a penalty. Will all my content burn inside it or will just the container flame up? I read this as if I leave it on the ground it can catch fire if a lightning strikes for example. IS that true?

Tree shade:

I started out as Robot, and during rain I tried to stay under a tree, but it didn't seem to stop me from taking damage. I wonder if the feedback for "being under a tree" should be more clear? A distinct sound of raindrops that falls on leaves instead? Right now I am not seeing it and it made me doubt if it had any effect.

Pretty Parasol (or what it is called)

In the same game where I started out as Robot, rain began on Day 1. As trees didnt seem to protect me I created this parasol to protect myself from rain. But if it had any effect, it was so little that I was down to 6 hp when the rain stopped. Not easy to pull back from at Day 2 :(

Either the Parasol is too inefficient when playing robot, or the damage taken is too high. I even tried standing with the parasol under a tree but nothing really happened. Took seemingly same damage amount.

Tree shade:

I started out as Robot, and during rain I tried to stay under a tree, but it didn't seem to stop me from taking damage. I wonder if the feedback for "being under a tree" should be more clear? A distinct sound of raindrops that falls on leaves instead? Right now I am not seeing it and it made me doubt if it had any effect.

Excellent idea. The sound of rain hitting the leaves would be a perfect feedback system and simple topi (I think?)

Pretty Parasol (or what it is called)

In the same game where I started out as Robot, rain began on Day 1. As trees didnt seem to protect me I created this parasol to protect myself from rain. But if it had any effect, it was so little that I was down to 6 hp when the rain stopped. Not easy to pull back from at Day 2 :(

Either the Parasol is too inefficient when playing robot, or the damage taken is too high. I even tried standing with the parasol under a tree but nothing really happened. Took seemingly same damage amount.

Mark sure you're wearing a straw hat too. That will help some

Archived