Summer is OP

I think your boring summer was a consequence of lack of preparation.  If you make two ice hats and a few parasols, you can get through summer just fine and be very active.   If you rely on endofires, then yes, it's going to be a boring summer.

Yeah, you're right; it was boring because of a lack of preparation. I'm saying that lack of preparation should have killed me, not just made the game boring.

Wait, parasols actually do keep you cooler? I thought they would at first but I didn't notice any difference. I guess you need to combine the parasol with something else for it to actually be effective.

Summer's just a bit underdeveloped. There aren't that many ways to get around it, and the mechanic just feels like a less deadly winter but with fire. Klei said that they're still working on new equipment and food for summer, I'm hoping that it'll help flesh the season out a bit, make it feel a little less like a pure nuisance and more of an engaging struggle, with its own flavor.

I do like the idea of more of a timing or periodically based heat system, where it's not just blazing 24/7, but at particular intervals it becomes very dangerously hot. It would make that heatwave moment more exciting and terrifying, and eliminates the night-heat shenanigans.

I also think Willow should have heat resistance. Immunity is outright OP, but frankly, Willow needs some sort of perk to not make her seem unbearably boring in comparison to the rest of the lively, diverse cast.

Lastly, I'd like it if the forest fires were turned down a notch. Forest fires are a very legitimate danger and are a good addition to the game, but it's a little ridiculous that summer seems has the same effect of a fiery meteor crashing into the earth. Foliage should be shaking in their roots, but it shouldn't be complete veggie genocide. If the landscape is cleansed with fire, the plant-life should at least have a way of regrowing relatively soundly, much like real forest fires.

All in all, beta is beta.

Lastly, I'd like it if the forest fires were turned down a notch. Forest fires are a very legitimate danger and are a good addition to the game, but it's a little ridiculous that summer seems has the same effect of a fiery meteor crashing into the earth. Foliage should be shaking in their roots, but it shouldn't be complete veggie genocide. If the landscape is cleansed with fire, the plant-life should at least have a way of regrowing relatively soundly, much like real forest fires.

This! I've lost half my forest due to this in only one summer.

Also, it kind of sucks that all berry bushes are killed due to heat. I don't mind them going dormant in winter, but finding them all and fertilizing them again after summer is a pain. If you're going to keep the withered berry bushes, at least make them come back to normal after a rain or something.

This! I've lost half my forest due to this in only one summer.

Also, it kind of sucks that all berry bushes are killed due to heat. I don't mind them going dormant in winter, but finding them all and fertilizing them again after summer is a pain. If you're going to keep the withered berry bushes, at least make them come back to normal after a rain or something.

They do actually come back to normal. If you look at tuning.lua and some other files I don't remember off the top of my head, each plant gets a random temperature (in preset ranges) at which they "wither" and another at which they "rejuvenate". By winter all plants are rejuvenated (the lower limit for a rejuvenation temperature is 5C, if I remember correctly, which is the temperature that winter starts at).

I think the real problem is that fire can do irreparable damage to a world. For example, I was working on clearing the tentacle out of a reed trap, go back to base to stock up on some things, and come back to see that most of the reeds burnt up because one smoldered offscreen. There's no way to get more reeds back.

You could argue that most of these renewability problems are fixed by tumbleweeds, but farming tumbleweeds for reeds would be incredibly tedious, they don't come out that often.

Another major casualty of fire that you can't do anything to replenish are mushrooms.

I think I'm going to make a separate thread for this, but I'd suggest they incorporate ways for these plants to respawn. Perhaps mushrooms have a random chance to spawn in autumn (maybe more likely in the birchnut biomes, and limited to a certain number overall in the world), just like flowers now spawn in spring. Reeds could stand to have something similar, maybe capped by a certain reed-to-marsh-tile ratio (e.g. maximum of one reed per 8 marsh tiles or something).

Saplings are grass also get permanently damaged, but usually there's more than enough, and these are actually quite feasible to farm from tumbleweeds, so although a mechanic for these respawning could be nice, it's not really necessary like it is for reeds and mushrooms.

Edit: straight out of tuning.lua:

MIN_PLANT_WITHER_TEMP = 70,
MAX_PLANT_WITHER_TEMP = 110,
MIN_PLANT_REJUVENATE_TEMP = 20,
MAX_PLANT_REJUVENATE_TEMP = 55,

and

MIN_SEASON_TEMP = -25,
MAX_SEASON_TEMP = 95,
SUMMER_CROSSOVER_TEMP = 55,
SPRING_START_WINTER_CROSSOVER_TEMP = 15,
AUTUMN_START_SUMMER_CROSSOVER_TEMP = 45,
WINTER_CROSSOVER_TEMP = 5,

which, I think, means each season transition has a set temperature:
Spring->Summer: 55
Summer->Autumn: 45
Autumn->Winter: 5
Winter->Spring: 15

with Summer reaching a maximum of 95 and Winter reaching a minimum of -25. So most, but not all, plants should wither by the peak of Summer, and all plants should rejuvenate around mid-Autumn.

Edit2: Reposted my suggestions here, with a poll for more opinion collecting.

They do actually come back to normal. If you look at tuning.lua and some other files I don't remember off the top of my head, each plant gets a random temperature (in preset ranges) at which they "wither" and another at which they "rejuvenate". By winter all plants are rejuvenated (the lower limit for a rejuvenation temperature is 5C, if I remember correctly, which is the temperature that winter starts at).

Good to know, thanks. 

Do we need to be worried about a 'realistic' summer in a game with magic, giants, and a person that can pack around a cord of firewood with ease?

Gameplay-wise, I just keep my fashion melon or iceblock on at night.

I agree that non-renewables getting burned offscreen is a bummer. Although I like a certain amount of world decay. Fits within the desperate themes of the game.

I find Willow's lighter to be pretty useful during the early game since it lets you explore without the use of a torch.

I kind of feel like fire resistance and heat resistance are a little different. I'm pretty sure the idea behind "overheating" during the summer is dehydration. Fire just outright burns.

Also, does anyone else find it ironic how this topic is "Hot?" lol....

I find myself agreeing with those saying summer is a little off as it stands.  I was hoping it might encourage venturing out in night, which it doesn't since the heat is just as strong.

It might be fun to tone down the heat effects a lot at night, but counter it with some nocturnal mobs - maybe those wild dogs could appear in forests or similar dangerous creatures.  

My main problem is that if you start in spring, and can't find enough ice for the flingomatic before it all melts, you tend to end up with half your base being burned down. I understand a few days near the middle of summer being hot enough for things to catch fire, but ALL summer, really? Even at night!? Not meaning to come off as ragey, but I think it's a pretty serious problem that needs to be addressed.

My main problem is that if you start in spring, and can't find enough ice for the flingomatic before it all melts, you tend to end up with half your base being burned down. I understand a few days near the middle of summer being hot enough for things to catch fire, but ALL summer, really? Even at night!? Not meaning to come off as ragey, but I think it's a pretty serious problem that needs to be addressed.

With the new items (e.g. summer frest) you can survive pretty well during summer even without a single piece of ice. Just make a thermal stone, cool it near an endothermal fire pit, put on the vest and walk around. You should be able to survive through your 1st summer.

As for the stuff burning up in your base, you can now stop a wild fire from happening while it's smoldering with your hands, at the cost of very little life. You just need to pay attention ! =)

With the new items (e.g. summer frest) you can survive pretty well during summer even without a single piece of ice. Just make a thermal stone, cool it near an endothermal fire pit, put on the vest and walk around. You should be able to survive through your 1st summer.

As for the stuff burning up in your base, you can now stop a wild fire from happening while it's smoldering with your hands, at the cost of very little life. You just need to pay attention ! =)

I never had a problem with overheating myself, and the reason my base burned is that I like to spread it out into segments nearby for aesthetics. Even using rot to extinguish anything I caught smoldering, I was usually doing something else and was unable to notice it until it was already ablaze and catching my base on fire. I lost 6 level 2 farms, a couple drying racks, and several pig houses to the flames! I'm in Autumn now, but I really think that the overheating mechanic should be balanced some more so I don't have to repeatedly check everything in my base every few seconds.

Sorry to tell you, but the Don't Starve world is not real life. It's Maxwells world and he can make the rules he wants. But really, summer doesn't need to be any easier. Build an ice cube, endothermic firepit, and a fridge for your thermal stone and you'll live no problem.

Sorry to tell you, but the Don't Starve world is not real life. It's Maxwells world and he can make the rules he wants. But really, summer doesn't need to be any easier. Build an ice cube, endothermic firepit, and a fridge for your thermal stone and you'll live no problem.

I do keep saying, I'm not having a problem surviving, I just wish that the summer was less griefy.

I do keep saying, I'm not having a problem surviving, I just wish that the summer was less griefy.

You can turn it off in the world settings (or at least, you'll be able to when they fix it).  That's enough.  If you're having trouble with your main base burning down, build a separate summer base with fewer things to burn down.

if you put your heatstone inside the fridge its enough for almost a day walking and getting more resources.

And if you put a heatstone in the fridge and carry another (cold) one with you and remember to change when yours get hot, you'll never have to fear overheating.

Archived