Summer is OP

Before I express my criticism, I wanna say that burning heat and fire in summer is brilliant idea. It adds something unique of itself. I'd say well worth for the DLC.

Now onto the criticism:

I find burning heat at 6 in the morning and dusk to be ridiculous. I can accept that if for peak of daylight, but getting burnt to death at dusk (where the sun suppose to have set) is quite something else.

Change the duration of heat attack please. Summer isn't like that (according to common sense). In winter you can have constant freezing all day long, but summer is different. To get heat that can burn, you need sun at it's highest. The sun can't burn your skin near sunrise and sunset, let alone dusk.

So imo it would be so much better if the burning heat is only at peak of daylight. Morning and sunset are warm. Night is the coolest. That's a good dynamic for a summer day, right?

That way, summer will have a unique heat timing that differentiate itself from the timing of winter's freezing. So heat and freezing are counterparts, but they are each unique and not just a mirror of the other. And that is good.

And about fire, I suggest that they happen only at the peak of summer as the climax. So early summer you get the ambience, then you get burning heat, then at the climax you get burning heat and fire, then back to heat only, then to ambiance only. Nice dynamic, right?

OK I just played some summer days, and I got burned at night. Yes, NIGHT. Not dusk not day. It's so broken it can't be intentional from the devs. Fix it pls ty.

Imo the burning heat should start at least 2 hours after sunrise until 2 hours before sunset.

I think it would be very good to differentiate summer from winter. If we play summer like winter in a sense that we need endothermic fire as a base and cooling equips to go around, to me it's feels so wrong and cheap copycat from winter.

idk man I think it's fine as it is and if they actually plan on implementing Willow having some kind of heat resistance then people can just use her for the summer

and maybe it's just because I've lived in such hot climates my whole life but getting heatstroke at night isn't that hard to believe - especially if you were in a world where even the plants want you dead

It is totally possible to overheat at night, depending on where you are.  I would, however, like it if it wasn't as hot during dusk/night as well.  If they do that though, they'll have to make dusk and night colder during the winter too.

I had like 7x20 woods for my cooling Fire Pit and a good stack of food in my Ice Box, I'd pass my 15 days of short summer with ease. But what I have in mind is, why am I spending summer like winter? Clinging to fire pit and need special clothes to go around. I don't find that to be making much sense.

Sure, needing to shelter from powerful heat from high sun is excellent challenge in summer. I do that everyday here. I just don't expect to need to do that around sunrise, sunset and night xD

I would understand burning up during night with you are sitting by a fire, but not when your walking around with an alternate light source. Also would be nice to not have my base burn up during the night. Hard to keep a fire going for the night with your ice flingomatic going. Plus, will make summer only worlds more manageable.

Summer is easier than winter, imho.  Mainly because the ice hat actively cools you, while all the winter clothes only delay freezing.  If you can make two ice hats before summer you can survive it no problem and you can be active too, not having to stick around base.  Granted, if you start in spring and have bad luck finding ice before summer, you're in trouble.  But this game is random like that sometimes.  If you start in Autumn there is 0 reason to be having trouble with summer.

Another point I want to say is, because in the original game summer is fun and adventure time, i hope Klei don't change summer so drastically into a living hell in the DLC.

The burning heat (and stuff burning) is unique and good challenge, but for the sake of common sense please keep it at the peak of sunlight. So the idea is that you can normally do things in morning or before sunset, but at day you will need to protect yourself from the heat and be aware of fire. Thus summer will have new challenge, but not so far different from original game where summer means flowers, butterflies, and adventure.

I also hope Klei will add some way to deal with fire that's not very dependent of ice from previous season. Maybe ash (or something that doesn't burn) can be used on structure that's about to burn to prevent it from burning. Or maybe a refined item that player can craft, 1 time use. So the idea is that player can get on guard when sunlight is at peak, and if something is about to burn, he can stop it if he's fast enough.

I also hope that Ice Flingo is somewhat rechargable because it's built with gears, which is very very limited in number. Just learned it can be refueled. It's okay then.

idk man I think it's fine as it is and if they actually plan on implementing Willow having some kind of heat resistance then people can just use her for the summer

and maybe it's just because I've lived in such hot climates my whole life but getting heatstroke at night isn't that hard to believe - especially if you were in a world where even the plants want you dead

Sadly Klei wants to leave Willow as she is with any heat immunity.

Double Post.

My biggest concern however is that summer can destroy everything. The new DLC adds so many new plants and environmental things It's sad that summer can destroy it all leaving it nothing but burnt remains, I'm hoping they'll be some way for forests to repair themselves and such.  

You can refuel the Ice FlingoMatic with all the fuel-fire things, like log and so, if i'm not wrong.

Ah yes. Just tested it, works. Well in that case Ice Flingo is okay I guess. It can keep you a bit cooler in day. I hope they fix the heat attack soon so that it won't burn you after sunset. Gonna be weird if you still need Ice Flingo's cold aura when you also need fire because night's coming.

Wow the initial post got popular tag. Edited to better express my view in the first glance =)

About Willow, I can accept if she not receive heat immunity from summer because she is a pyromania, her magical alliance is with fire. The sun is quite another force, likely not recognize her as an ally.

Willow withstands heat from fire not because she has immunity from heat, but because she has alliance with fire.

That's not fair at all! if she can withstand fire, which is much hotter that the air, then how can she overheat in as little as about 80 degrees?

Actually Klei would probably argue "fairness" is why they're keeping here mostly susceptible.  Otherwise if she were immune to summer she would be OP in their eyes.  Personally I find her probably the most boring and lackluster character of them all so I still wouldn't play her.  But whatever.

About Willow, I can accept if she not receive heat immunity from summer because she is a pyromania, her magical alliance is with fire. The sun is quite another force, likely not recognize her as an ally.

Willow withstands heat from fire not because she has immunity from heat, but because she has alliance with fire.

I'm not sure how you're ok with a "magical alliance with fire" but can't accept why it would still be hot at night.  DS has never operated on strict logic.  imo summer is tame as it is, and doesn't need a nerf.

My biggest concern however is that summer can destroy everything. The new DLC adds so many new plants and environmental things It's sad that summer can destroy it all leaving it nothing but burnt remains, I'm hoping they'll be some way for forests to repair themselves and such.  

This is extremely necessary. Even before this DLC, lightning kept burning down my dense forests in the wilderness. I had to build lightning rods all over the place. Now that summer heat is in place, I'd have to place not only tons of lighting rods but also tons of ice flingomatics

edit: too many exclamation points. Sounded like I was yelling or actually mad

This is extremely necessary! Even before this DLC, lightning kept burning down my dense forests in the wilderness. I had to build lightning rods all over the place! Now that summer heat is in place, I'd have to place not only tons of lighting rods but also tons of ice flingomatics!

Wait. Ice staff become important very soon

This is extremely necessary! Even before this DLC, lightning kept burning down my dense forests in the wilderness. I had to build lightning rods all over the place! Now that summer heat is in place, I'd have to place not only tons of lighting rods but also tons of ice flingomatics!

Wait. Ice staff become important very soon

I agree it would be nice if it cooled off in the evening/at night so that summer promoted a nocturnal playstyle. It would be pretty cool, and it's kinda what I was expecting.

On the other hand, I don't know about summer being 'OP,' I think it might be too easy. I was just able to make it through summer with almost no preparation: I had gathered almost no ice and I still haven't figured out how to get electrical doodads. It wasn't especially hard, but it was kinda boring. I had to spend most of the time hugging an endothermic campfire and watching for spontaneous combustion.

But, we don't have the summer giant yet, and I don't know how that will affect the difficulty.

On the subject of Willow, why don't they give her resistance to heat damage, rather than outright immunity? Like, it takes a higher temperature for her to take damage than for the other characters. That way, the overheating mechanic would still be a thing for her, but she'd have a badly needed advantage. I mean, it could be like Wilson's beard. It doesn't make him immune to winter's cold, but it does help keep him warm.

I agree it would be nice if it cooled off in the evening/at night so that summer promoted a nocturnal playstyle.

The problem with this is that summer nights are VERY short.  So you wouldn't get a lot done if you were only doing things at night, or even night+evening.

On the other hand, I don't know about summer being 'OP,' I think it might be too easy. I was just able to make it through summer with almost no preparation: I had gathered almost no ice and I still haven't figured out how to get electrical doodads. It wasn't especially hard, but it was kinda boring.

I think your boring summer was a consequence of lack of preparation.  If you make two ice hats and a few parasols, you can get through summer just fine and be very active.   If you rely on endofires, then yes, it's going to be a boring summer.  

I don't know what balance the devs are going for, but the ice hat seems a bit OP to me.  Especially since you can repair it with the sewing kit.  But maybe the thought is if you're willing to deal with that thing all summer, then good on ya'.  And it's still not 100% clear if ice is renewable, so long term it might not be  a permanent solution.  Hopefully there will be other items that are renewable, maybe higher tier magic?

Sadly Klei wants to leave Willow as she is with any heat immunity.

well immunity would be ridiculous??? so obv they're going to leave that in there

but I'm pretty sure they said something about giving her a little heat resistance so she can last longer without overheating in the summer

Actually Klei would probably argue "fairness" is why they're keeping here mostly susceptible.  Otherwise if she were immune to summer she would be OP in their eyes.  Personally I find her probably the most boring and lackluster character of them all so I still wouldn't play her.  But whatever.

Well if she can resist heat, then i think she should freeze faster in winter and loose more sanity in the dark

Archived