Guaranteed Pig King Spawn

Because it's cheating. I bet that every person that uses the console also puts the Pig King somewhere near their base for convenience.

I agree. No matter where I'd place him, I'd feel like I was cheating or over-inconveniencing myself.

Sorry to call on you again, but could we please get an official word on this, @SethR?

Because it's cheating. I bet that every person that uses the console also puts the Pig King somewhere near their base for convenience.

When I debugspawn him, I put him in the pig village that looks like should be his home...

It is my opinion that if you make biomee size bigger he seems to spawn more often.

I like the fact that he is not always there. I like randomness.

If he is not in your world just keep jumping worlds till you find one with a pig king. If you do that it is gaurtied to be in every game, if not every world.

DebugSpawn("pigking"), You have your +1 pig king. It's what I do when I get a world without a king in it.

I just think that a debug spawn shouldn't be needed to balance out the world when the fix, to the best of my knowledge, would be so straight forward

• Developer

I agree. No matter where I'd place him, I'd feel like I was cheating or over-inconveniencing myself.

Sorry to call on you again, but could we please get an official word on this, @SethR?

I was at PAX, so I'm just seeing this now. The way the world generation is set up, it will always try to put the Pig King in the world. But, because it's done procedurally and there are a lot of things it tries to fit into the map, it will sometimes (rarely) not find a place large enough to stick him. Obviously our intent is for the Pig King to appear in all worlds, but we can't actually guarantee that it happens. Think of it as a nice bit of variation in your worlds that will make change up your tactics :)

I was at PAX, so I'm just seeing this now. The way the world generation is set up, it will always try to put the Pig King in the world. But, because it's done procedurally and there are a lot of things it tries to fit into the map, it will sometimes (rarely) not find a place large enough to stick him. Obviously our intent is for the Pig King to appear in all worlds, but we can't actually guarantee that it happens. Think of it as a nice bit of variation in your worlds that will make change up your tactics :-)

If all parts of the teleportato are guaranteed to fit, why can't the same be done for the pig king?

From doing tests of this, it's actually fairly frequently that he doesn't fit, around 30-40% of the time.

Edit: Just tried another 20 worlds: he wasn't there in 6 of them.

I was at PAX, so I'm just seeing this now. The way the world generation is set up, it will always try to put the Pig King in the world. But, because it's done procedurally and there are a lot of things it tries to fit into the map, it will sometimes (rarely) not find a place large enough to stick him. Obviously our intent is for the Pig King to appear in all worlds, but we can't actually guarantee that it happens. Think of it as a nice bit of variation in your worlds that will make change up your tactics :-)

Thank you for your response!

This is just straight up lying. What are you talking about? You "can't actually guarantee that it happens?" What are you? Experimental physicist who cannot change how physics works? You are programmers for crying out loud. You CAN guarantee the spawn the Pig King if we can put him there with the console. You have a nice company and I like your game but, please, don't talk to us like we are fools. Thank you

erh...it's not as simple, i tred modding world gen and it's not as simple...so before being a jerk agaisnt klei(and necroing),try to do it...

(and you didn't talked about this :"Think of it as a nice bit of variation in your worlds that will make change up your tactics". I have a theory about klei doing sneaky tweaks to make survival more interesting, like the rock lobster never fixed..cause it's not a bug!)

Archived