Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

isolanni

Please remove Autumnal biome

isolanni    8

I think the Autumn biome should be removed for two reasons:

1. The lag is so extreme that I feel  very ill and won't play there anymore ( It's like motion sickness from reading in a car ).  I run from the area, breathing a sigh of relief  when I get to another biome.

2.  Although it is very pretty, the fat shrubbery at the top of the trees makes it impossible to see what's behind or beside it.  It's way too inconvenient to be checking the map to see if I missed something; I was desperate for a grass and left the biome, even though I was standing right next to one -  I just didn't see it.  Also,  loot isn't on the map,  so it can easily be missed behind a tree.

Please consider taking it out until it's fixed.  I know that I'm not the only devoted fan who is getting ill - it's decidedly un-fun.

Percival    766

1. Lag? I've haven't experienced any type of game lag at all around or in Autumn biomes.

2. I don't really find this slight, small incident annoying or inconvenient; I just hold the spacebar, and any materials I would not have seen are picked up.

Personally, I like the Autumn biome, so this might be biased..

Subscriber01236    1,710

Can't imagine why you are getting lag.

Autumn is pretty much just summer without the RoG dlc.

Also you can rotate the camera.

Edit: realized you were talking about the biome and not the Season :p

Either way I can't imagine why it is lagging anyway, it's basically just the forest with a different type of tree and a different looking floor.

rodoto    49

What ?

1- Like Pecival i never experienced any lag and I can tell you my base is right in the middle of an autumn biome.

2- I think the tree are enough spaced out to allow you to see what is on the floor, just turn the map else.

Moreover, there is more things planned for the autumn biome. It's impossible to don't want to know what this biome can offer !

Zalyn    69

Several people have been getting lag in Autumn biomes; I also get lagged when leaves fall from deciduous trees, regardless of where I am.  My comp isn't very high powered, I know, but it is noticeable with and without deciduous trees.

jbeetle    1,872

might wanna wait until it's out of beta. not saying you shouldn't let devs know of bad things, you totally should, but suggesting it be completely removed is, in my opinion, silly.

isolanni    8

From reading the Autumn biome lag thread,  I thought that a lot of people were experiencing the same jumpyness of the game when in the deciduous tree area in Autumn.

It is time for me to get a new computer and I had been playing for nearly 12 hours straight...

Maybe shutting down and re-starting would help.

I love almost everything about the DLC, particularly the ruins scattered about.  The desert biome looks fantastic with the new creatures and the tumbleweeds.  There are some very creative minds behind DS!

UnderwearApp    134

Slight lag on my laptop, but almost none on home pc. The devs already mentioned looking at optimizing it, but asking to have it removed because you need better hardware is a little ridiculous.

oCrapaCreeper    3,108

Usually it's better and smarter to fix a problem instead of shoving it under a bed and forgetting about it. Simply removing the biome would be a terrible idea. The performance issues with Deciduous Trees are caused by the constant spew of leaf particles from them during autumn, so optimizing it would be the logical step.

I really don't see the problem with the second point. I'd imagine the same problem would persist with normal pine trees considering those are bigger towards the bottom and are more likely to block view of stuff.

MeingroessterFan    4,139

On a side note,  I don't really understand the autumn biome as a, well, biome. I mean, autumn is a season, right? It even is in the game as a season. So why is there a biome that constantly looks like autumn?

Either way, I never had any lag in there either.

WillPwn4Food    295

might wanna wait until it's out of beta. not saying you shouldn't let devs know of bad things, you totally should, but suggesting it be completely removed is, in my opinion, silly.

JBeetle, ever respectful in the spite of the most absurd remarks

You seem like that cool guy who everyone wants to be their uncle

Tamazacat    130

To be honest, I think the biome is ugly as hell, but that's my only complaint about it. It works fine for me (no FPS or lag problems). The developers have stated they'll make an optimisation in the biome, so I doubt your problems will last long.

Tip: if your system can handle it, go to task manager and right click on the Don't Starve application. Go to details. Then right click that one and go to "set priority..." To "Above Normal" or "High" - ONLY if your PC can handle it. Otherwise it could crash your computer. I recommend unless you have a computer that's la crème de la crème you never go "realtime".

Changing the settings will make your computer allocate more resources to the application you've selected, helping to clear any issues. :)

jbeetle    1,872

JBeetle, ever respectful in the spite of the most absurd remarks

You seem like that cool guy who everyone wants to be their uncle

We all know that's not true. It takes real effort for me not be snarky while I'm helpful.

Also, I'm almost 26, and I AM an uncle! :D

brummbar7    513

Folks, OP was ten days ago which I believe was before the optimization.   He's probably fine now.  Minor thread necroing here, though comments on other aspects of Autumn biome still valid of course.

Pyromailmann    2,991

1.)There's no lag

2.)Press "Q" and "E" that rotates the map from it's default positioning, which is northeast. Crafting a compass will help you with that too.

justjasper    77

I had lag in autumn bc of the falling leaves animation before the latest update, now it seems to be fixed. If you're still getting lag, there's a semi popular thread floating around about the issue where you can give feedback on your comp spec so the devs can get a handle on the issue.