Wet, wet, wet - I HATE that!

I'm assuming you started on Spring then?

Don't worry about it too much, it's happening for all of us. Barely managed to do anything during winters because of the wetness mechanic.

BUT, the general consensus from the staff and devs are that they will be changing the wetness mechanic as it is unbalanced, so hopefully that'll come into play soon :)

It's bad as it currently stands. Died twice because of it at around day 30. The only way you could fight both the cold and the wetness would be to have a raincoat AND a beefalo hat playing wilson with a full beard. That's harsh because getting two tentacle spots can be quite the challenge.

As said, an umbrella and a beefalo hat works as well, but it takes your free hand so I was stuck doing almost nothing all winter. I was still doing very good but then on day 34, a dearclop came around and destroyed all my base. So I'm stuck there, without all of my precious things that helped me stay alive. I cant do anything because I can't take my umbrella off my hand without getting wet. So I get wet, insane and get my ass kicked my nightmare monsters without any means of getting my sanity back up since my tent and everything else is on the ground underneath the ass of an angry dearclops. I get cold as well, and trying to stay warm, get my stuff together to start a new, stay dry while fighting insanity is basicly impossible. I die within the next day.

I don't even know how I could plan for this. If I had fought the dearclops, I'd have gotten wet, insane and would have had to fight the dearclop and nightmare monsters.I Could not make enought tooth traps by day 30 to defend my base. If I walled my base, it still would have been all destroyed by the dearclop.

To make things even more ridiculous, the dearclop freezes you when he hits you and can then just finish you off ! I do not like this feature at all...You get hit once and you are dead.

Winter was already a good challenge as it was. The fact that walking on the ground makes your stuff wet in a matter of seconds unless you have 100% rain protection is absurd. The debuff from having wet stuff is really high and can make you insane in less that a day. It means that if you get wet and don't dry yourself in the winter. You die. I'm ok with that, but when the game throws dearclops and even hounds in the mix, it becomes unmanagable

EDIT : Reading the post back I know I sounded angry but really just wanted to detail my gameplay experience with RoG and the balance issues I have been experiencing. Some of the following comments stated that the devs are working on this issue which I did not know at the time I wrote this post. Thanks !

I can understand to a certain point what the two above posts are experiencing. But the DLC is there to give a new challenge to the game, you can simply turn it off and go back to vanilla if it's too difficult at the moment.

As said plenty of times on these forums, the developers and staff realise it's imbalanced at the moment and plan to sort it out, but I'd like to point out that this is the Beta of the game.

"Do you like playing games before they're finished? Do you like providing feedback on mechanics and game play balance so you can see an impact on the final product? Do you not mind running into bugs, difficulties and other issues? Then this stage is for you. Don't like the sound of that? Wait it out! "

^That is literally the post made by Bryce when the game was released for beta.

They know it's imbalanced and will fix it soon.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31824-wednesday-dlc-update-come-and-get-it/

^

Please, honestly, give the whole topic a thorough read, we all expected stuff to be a bit naff and broken in the beginning and it's because we want them to make a better game that we're playing it and feeding back problems. This however is one problem that is just repeated time and time again and isn't really doing anyone any good.

Like Kellyc said, it's a beta, if you don't understand what that means then go look it up.  You're not even adding anything to the conversation at this point as this has all been said.     Judging from the comments I saw from a dev in another thread, winter probably won't have any wetness at all once they bring out the fixes Monday-ish.  

Yes, bêta phase could be a little hard because the game isn't balanced, but it is WHY the bêta exist. because this way, we help to make the game as perfect as possible for all the players when the final version will be released.

So :

- It is ok (and welcome, i think, because it is the purpose of bêta), to tell admins "this part of the game isn't playable now because of this"

- we must search if we can triumph of the difficulty, because it help balancing. For example, i play as wickerbottom, i've lost three or four time in winter, but now, i've successfully reach spring twice.

For me, the wrong part is that winter could be boring (i don't find it fun to be near my fire for so much of the season), but i can survive winter.

We are accustomed to a difficulty, the change give us the feeling the game is broken, but it is more complex. We must find if the difficulty could be challenged (making new objects, changing strategies), and it implies to try and lose and retry... And it's hard because we don't have the same difficult/reward balance than before.

- It is always better to... Sorry, i'm french, so i don't know the english expression ? Step back maybe ?

It's when you take time to be less emotionnaly involved in something, take a distance, and could exprim what is wrong without being sad or furious about it.

Because, when you are angry, your message appears less relevant, and it is less pleasant to read.

Dear developers, you and your wet ruin such a wonderful game!

You don't know what the term 'beta' means, do you?

If you paid attention to what the devs say instead of insulting them like a child you would know that the wetness mechanic is not working as intended. No one is forcing you to play RoG and no one wants to hear your negativity.

Reading my message back I realise I sounded angry but I was not. Just wanted to detail the fact that the new gameplay elements in the way they are currently implemented and combined with existing gameplay elements create a challenge that can become almost impossible to overcome given certain circumstances.

Since I've heard lots of complaints but seen none of the posts from developpers you guys are talking about that say they are adressing this particular issue, I was quite worried.

I do understand that this is beta and I'm glad to be part of it. Just wanted to give some insight on how my games had ended up so that developpers consider the factors I've experienced in the final balancing. 

Day 25 --- oh. First of all, I play WX-78 and rain damages him despite the fact I wear umbrella OR pretty parasol. But that was autumn, and now it is just impossible. I'm staying at base, eating gears (a lot of chess, btw) and can't do anything else. Heat stone is cold even near the full fire, all tools are wet. I've left meaty stew in a crock pot and it spoiled into rot in a single day! How?

Really think about giving up and hiding in caves.

I've left meaty stew in a crock pot and it spoiled into rot in a single day! How?

I've had something like this happen a couple times too.  And the ingredients were not all that terribly rotten.    I can't figure out if it's due to having too much decayed ingredients, or something else. 

Really think about giving up and hiding in caves.

I see you haven't read the topic where it is discussed that heat, cold, and rain will be in the caves as well as above ground.  But the devs have said they're going to be redoing the moisture system on the next update.  So maybe find something else to do between now and then.

Sorry, caves are as cold as outside for now.

Food spoil if left in crockpot more that it spoil normally, as far as i can tell, especially if there is bad weather (rain, snow). You must put in in your inventory or a fridge.

This prevent the permanent food left in a crockpot forever.

I see you haven't read the topic where it is discussed that heat, cold, and rain will be in the caves as well as above ground. 

Sorry, caves are as cold as outside for now.

That is ... bad. Oh, dear... :cry:

This prevent the permanent food left in a crockpot forever.

Yeah, I've got it. :) I didn't think that it spoils SO fast when it is snow. Btw, spoiling isn't the biggest problem --- wet things are.

I quite clearly understand that the game is in beta test . And what a beta test is not the final version of the game. I also understand that if I want to play the game finished I had to wait for its release. But since I'm a fan of this game I can not wait until it is released , I want to play it now . I started on the default settings . Survived the spring, summer and autumn. But what I encountered with the mechanics of wet winter pissed me off . I've included the game , understood the situation hopeless and off. I did not want to play. In general, I believe that the mechanics wet currently have much unfinished and incomprehensible .

But since I'm a fan of this game I can not wait until it is released , I want to play it now .

Sorry to be blunt, but too bad.  It's rare that things in beta are perfectly balanced, and the developers have stated in half the threads about this stuff that they know it's unfair.  They're working on it.  Would you rather have an unbalanced beta and a balanced release, or have a rushed, more balanced DLC just there to meet demands?

I understand the need to implement more difficult stuff to entertain skilled players, but i think that with spoilage of rabbits in chests (that are now more difficult even to find cause in some seasons they just stay in their damn holes all the time, so you can't catch them unless destroying forever one rabbit-spawner by digging it up), spoilage for food in crock pots and i can imagine even the spoilage of meat put to dry, winter is starting to get toooo way difficult... And the wetness is just...... ricolous. I know that some players managed to get through winter, but i feel like there is something wrong with that, is just unbalanced, i can't spend all the time with a damn umbrella especially because at day 34 i got shadows on my back, and even a deerclop and the sanity meter that simply drops in the hell. Also the deerclop should freeze only at contact, not at distance with the area damage unless it will be meaning unequivocally death.

And if this is the difficult of the sandbox, i can't even dare imagine the adventure!!

It will be nice if they provide us with craftables structures under which rest from rain and snow and protect things in the base from getting wet, pretty much a roof or something else. And of course a dryer or a big oven for drying clothes and stuff, otherwise it's impossible to keep the gamplay balance. I understand that the beta is just still a work in progess, so this is simply my feedback about the game just right now

post-229792-0-95358900-1394208083_thumb.

This is the end. With all my desire to survive, I can not do it. (No need to repeat that the game is unbalanced, I read about it). I want to show how long I could survive on the default settings on the latest version. 
I want to show that the wetting ruined me, because it is severe.

I am not sure what I am doing differently, but I don't get wet from running on wet ground since the March 3 patch. Today I had a winter hat and log suit, and would only get wet when it snowed. Change to raincoat for the snow, then back to breezy vest/log suit after and all stayed dry. I keep seeing posts that refer to the issues I had before the patch (ie. getting wet from the ground) so it is a little confusing.

Tentacle spots are easy if you just hang around the swamp during dusk/night, the Mermen kill them for you, free spots and spikes for the picking.

Personally, I like it just how it is. Just my two cents.

EDIT: For the first time just now since the patch my items got wet from the ground. Removing said items from equip slots dried them almost immediately though so no big deal. A separate way to dry the back is necessary though, even just being able to put backpack in chest would work.

Archived