Caves and ruins are impossible now.

No, just no.

Adventure mode is something that man needs to complete, it is not about winning, it is about surviving, Maxwell character is good enough as a reward for it.

Yeah, you can't really 'win' DS. Escaping it would kinda defeat the purpose of surviving Maxwell's insanity for as long as you can.

I shamefully have barely even tried Adventure Mode and I've been playing for ages. :\

Yeah, you can't really 'win' DS. Escaping it would kinda defeat the purpose of surviving Maxwell's insanity for as long as you can.

I shamefully have barely even tried Adventure Mode and I've been playing for ages. :\

And what am I supposed to say!?

I can make that base:

1zzovok.jpg

In around fifty days, I can go to ruins in sixty days, I can defeat all the bosses in sixty five days.

But I can't get past second level in adventure mode!

not to mention, it's not realistic, caves in real life keep stable temerature.

I think there should be a lore-friendly reason to support the weather in caves. For example, maybe the core of Don't Starve's world is nightmarish-insanity instead of magma. So instead of caves being heated by magma, they are "insanified" by nightmare-flows from the core. I don't know if anyone else cares about this kind of thing, but I like how the world has its own lore. Like how an ancient civilization collapsed from using too much nightmare fuel, and that's where the ruins came from.

I think there should be a lore-friendly reason to support the weather in caves. For example, maybe the core of Don't Starve's world is nightmarish-insanity instead of magma. So instead of caves being heated by magma, they are "insanified" by nightmare-flows from the core. I don't know if anyone else cares about this kind of thing, but I like how the world has its own lore. Like how an ancient civilization collapsed from using too much nightmare fuel, and that's where the ruins came from.

That...Is actually a bloody briliant idea!

Instead of seasons you have to deal with the nightmares, up the spawn rate or something. Caves are underground, underground=darkness, darkness=nightmares.

Well yeah but the way he is talking about it it's almost like the devs have released the DLC and said that nothing will be changed. But it will in time if it's an issue. As you said, he is complaining, not simply bringing in attention on the issue.

In the weeks leading up to the open forum beta, it was my understanding that the DLC was only adding and changing material in Survival mode. I interpreted this as  the caves were going to stay as is, as they've already been tweaked and balanced and then with the Ruins too. So to go underground in spring (hoping for a reprieve in which to ), and find the showers down there? That was very disappointing.

That said, I understand the concern for abusing the underground as a getaway. RoG is focused around the seasons and weather trying to kill you, so surviving it given the resources should be priority. But I don't think copying the exact same weather as above is fair. Maybe lessening it so the caves can still be a place to catch your breath, but enough that it will be a problem for anyone hoping to spelunk for days on end?

To be honest, that's what I figured the Klei devs were going for. What, do you think all that Nightmare Fuel just came out of thin air?

Ya, it seems to flow upward from underground. My point is that it's also a lore-friendly excuse to have crazier weather underground, since Klei doesn't want people to be able to dodge weather effects by going into caves.

I like to think of the Don't Starve world as a crazy person's dream, hardened into reality. The core is Maxwell/God/Chair-Sitter's dreaming mind. The dream-goo or nightmare-fuel is something like a mass of willful stem-cell things that create the state of reality. Maxwell's sadism and boredom is also an excuse to shake it up over time, so that the player can't turtle for too long.

The whole "nightmare fuel at core" thing is actually a creative explanation. It could probably be the secret lair of Them in the DS world, which would decently explain why sanity monsters pop out of nightmare lights and huge cracks in the ruins.

Although fan-made explanations and game balance are two different things.

it is sad klei won't do anything with the caves but brilliant idea though

How? If you wear a Rain Coat and Football Helmet, how do you have light while holding a weapon? Swap rain coat for armor and the football helmet for miner hat?

You don't need the Football Helmet on unless you are planning to fight, and if you're doing that you should have a lantern or fire nearby anyway, I bring Marble Suit for really difficult things like the cave worms though

You don't need the Football Helmet on unless you are planning to fight, and if you're doing that you should have a lantern or fire nearby anyway, I bring Marble Suit for really difficult things like the cave worms though

Tanking is never good strategy, better use log suit and try to actually kite worms.

I think caves should be a good place to keep yourself safe if you don't want winter. Hmm, I have thought to make a base in the caves but never really managed to. I once got a base spawned near a sink hole which basically was a set piece, so I thought to start building up my bslase there even more! The only problem was there was a pond. Then I got travked by underground worms and in the end got killed by snurtles or slurtles, idk the difference.

My problem is I can't get back underground... to get marble... to make a marble suit. Chester is lost to me forever... I took 10 log suits, 10 honey salves, and multiple football helmets... prepped for a battle... and died in one hit from the worms. I just have a pile of stuff down there at the entrance of the caves... piled up from repeated attempts. And I'd swear there was more than 6... looked like 9 when they hit me.

You are participating in a beta, as @ScaryMonster mentioned. If things are impossible or too buggy for you now, put DS down and return to retry in 6 days or maybe mid-april, and I promise, you'll get amazed how well things work. 

Or maybe suggest ways to improve the balance, because that's kinda what this pre-beta is for. :)

Use RPG HUD Mod. All problems solved. I mean, soldiers from all over the world carry backpacks AND armors AND necklaces. So why not in Don't Starve too? 

Why not just put the game into God mode, either? I mean, if you're going to take all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks of various game features, why stop there?

Why not just put the game into God mode, either? I mean, if you're going to take all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks of various game features, why stop there?

God mode =/= RPG HUD. The HUD brings a bit more realism to Don't Starve. Even if realism means OP, in your point of view.

God mode =/= RPG HUD. The HUD brings a bit more realism to Don't Starve. Even if realism means OP, in your point of view.

No, it lets you wear things with no drawbacks. If you were that concerned about realism, you'd get mods that change the animals to real animals, make pigs unable to talk or help you, and make none of the crock pot meals that show utensils.

No, it lets you wear things with no drawbacks. If you were that concerned about realism, you'd get mods that change the animals to real animals, make pigs unable to talk or help you, and make none of the crock pot meals that show utensils.

What if I did? Anyways, that's the way I like to play Don't Starve, brings up more possibilities. Don't like it? Good for you! 

What if I did? Anyways, that's the way I like to play Don't Starve, brings up more possibilities. Don't like it? Good for you! 

You were the one who told OP to use mods rather than be concerned about game balance, but that's enough derailing.

Archived