Caves and ruins are impossible now.

Caves were hard before, you had to choose between:

1.Armour and storage.

2.Armour and sanity recover.

3.Sanity recover and storage.

But what now?

You have to actually bring WEATHER stuff with you. Let me get this straight, you made caves, so they are dangerous, but it pays off with the fact that you are safe from winter here, but now, you abandoned it, not to mention, it's not realistic, caves in real life keep stable temerature.

I personally use the method number 3, backpack (I usually use piggyback, but normal backpack is faster) and tam, So I can take loot from ruins and not go insane in the process, I also keep armour here and stack of rocks to feed my army of Rocky Balboas, but now, you need to menage temerature, as much as hats are nice and warm they are not enough, they will not warm you up, they will slow the process of freezing, and in ruins, stopping for a moment to warm up will kill you, also, the ice cube slows you down, so you can't run and wear it. And let me tell you how stupid is the fact that holding umbrella 100 meters or more underground will make you less overheated....

You just ruined what you've been working for over five updates.

Unless of course, *nudge* *nudge* you fix this issue.

Good thing it's in beta and the inherent purpose of beta testing is to change what doesn't work before release.

I swear people think participating in a beta is a super cool exclusive sneak peek when in reality it's to, you know. Find broken stuff.

Good thing it's in beta and the inherent purpose of beta testing is to change what doesn't work before release.

I swear people think participating in a beta is a super cool exclusive sneak peek when in reality it's to, you know. Find broken stuff.

You are participating in a beta, as @ScaryMonster mentioned. If things are impossible or too buggy for you now, put DS down and return to retry in 6 days or maybe mid-april, and I promise, you'll get amazed how well things work. 

You guys are basically saying "How dare you complain about something being too hard when its in beta!"

That is just contradicting the point of a beta.

Someone has to find and mention the issue for it to be fixed. So in that case, OP is doing exactly what a beta tester should do. Find an issue, and bring it to the attention of the devs.

You guys are basically saying "How dare you complain about something being too hard when its in beta!"

Someone has to find and mention the issue for it to be fixed. So in that case, OP is doing exactly what a beta tester should do. Find an issue, and bring it to the attention of the devs.

Well yeah but the way he is talking about it it's almost like the devs have released the DLC and said that nothing will be changed. But it will in time if it's an issue. As you said, he is complaining, not simply bringing in attention on the issue.

That's actually not what I was saying at all. There is a very big difference between an objective bug report and being rude, insulting the devs, saying they ruined the game, etc.

People have every right to bring up issues. They do not have a right to act like petulant brats.

Yea I see what you guys are saying. I suppose he could have been less rude in saying "You just ruined what you've been working for over five updates." 
But I think his intention was to describe the extent of how broken he thinks caves are at the moment, rather than outright insult the devs.
Thats how I interpreted it anyway.

Yea I see what you guys are saying. I suppose he could have been less rude in saying "You just ruined what you've been working for over five updates." 

But I think his intention was to describe the extent of how broken he thinks caves are at the moment, rather than outright insult the devs.

Thats how I interpreted it anyway.

That's his style, some just don't know that :)

Anyway, I hope if they do nerf cave extremes they don't nerf them too much. There's no reason alone to go into caves, but it being a challenge would be reason enough for me, especially since the devs' philosophy is to make it so caves aren't the "avoid all seasons" area for the DLC.

Maybe instead of removing effects, make it you get freezing if you stay down for too long, however greatly nerf it inside of caves. So much so you can survive, (twice? Thrice?) times as long. Maybe increase insulation factor in caves?

I dunno, it's a complicated balance :\

Do it during Spring and bring Rain Coat (100% rain protection) and Football Helmets. I just did it and cleared out the clockwork part of ruins easily. You should also bring a Marble Suit in case you get zerged. Also bring Small Jerky for sanity.. it's absolutely not impossible

It's not impossible. Just pointless. Taking away an option to Summer/Winter doesn't make gameplay more dynamic. It just makes it more tedious.

One of the coolest things about Don't starve is making up your own strategies on how to survive. For some people, they use all of Fall to get gear for going into caves for winter. Taking away an incentive for going into caves seems backwards.

You can bring criticism in different ways. And in my opinion, this is more rude (It is a beta, and they're generally buggy) than telling people and devs about an issue. But I also see your point in the post you made after this one, it was probably not ment to be rude at all. 

And btw, I agree, caves and weather inside needs to be reconsidered.

Do it during Spring and bring Rain Coat (100% rain protection) and Football Helmets. I just did it and cleared out the clockwork part of ruins easily. You should also bring a Marble Suit in case you get zerged. Also bring Small Jerky for sanity.. it's absolutely not impossible

How? If you wear a Rain Coat and Football Helmet, how do you have light while holding a weapon? Swap rain coat for armor and the football helmet for miner hat?

It's not impossible. Just pointless. Taking away an option to Summer/Winter doesn't make gameplay more dynamic. It just makes it more tedious.

One of the coolest things about Don't starve is making up your own strategies on how to survive. For some people, they use all of Fall to get gear for going into caves for winter. Taking away an incentive for going into caves seems backwards.

I have to agree

But this only really applies if you don't want things like Snurtle armor ruin tier crafting, which yeah you can get a long just fine in the game without them. But if you DO want these things it becomes very very hard, not impossible, but its definitely frustrating enough for players like me to go "Screw it! It's not worth the payout!"

Having been spelunking in real life, I have to say that the caves seem pretty wacky the way they are in the DLC with the weather above effecting what goes on below.

The caves are tough as is and with the weather its just become frustrating not more challenging.

That's the point of open betas. It is not for you to criticise every little bad thing, but to:

-Get a sneak peek

-Go "bug" hunting and

-See if you can come up with suggestions and feedback for them to add in future updates.

That's how open/early beta works.

It's still possible Klei could add items and structures that take ruins resources.   For instance a houndius shootius that instead of attacking enemies, is like a flingomatic that is always on and never needs refueled - or maybe it will BOTH attack enemies AND put out fires!  Or if you could 'upgrade' your structures with thulicite to make them fireproof.   New thulicite-requiring armor that also has a cooling/warming effect.  Stuff that people will want!  There's still a lot Klei could do to tempt us back. 

I kind of tapered off playing DS around August, before the ruins came out so I've never experienced them or depth worms.  Apparently depth worms used to be pretty bad, judging from discussion in regular DS forums.  Did they nerf them at some point?  I haven't seen them mentioned here, and if they're still as bad as they used to be, them combined with weather and darkness would seem very severe indeed...

That's his style, some just don't know that :)

Anyway, I hope if they do nerf cave extremes they don't nerf them too much. There's no reason alone to go into caves, but it being a challenge would be reason enough for me, especially since the devs' philosophy is to make it so caves aren't the "avoid all seasons" area for the DLC.

First, they just added weather to caves to make it so we experience the DLC up top, which is what they will be touching upon the most.

Secondly, many people were suggesting (including me) that if they wanted a fresh new challenge in the caves, why not introduce some special challenges in the caves, like winter has freezing and summer overheating.

Some where even saying (which I really thought was a cool idea) that they should implement an "end" to the game but would need a lot of end-game items, mostly hard-to-get and boss-specific items. That would mean (to complete the game and escape) you need to survive all the seasons, the caves and ruins to obtain everything you need to make this portal (like Maxwell's door only different) back home.

I was thinking maybe even add items needed for the machine (or even just a condition) in Adventure mode and it needs to be completed at least once to be able to use that. This way, all the aspects of the game is put together to support one single goal.

Escape.

First, they just added weather to caves to make it so we experience the DLC up top, which is what they will be touching upon the most.

Secondly, many people were suggesting (including me) that if they wanted a fresh new challenge in the caves, why not introduce some special challenges in the caves, like winter has freezing and summer overheating.

Some where even saying (which I really thought was a cool idea) that they should implement an "end" to the game but would need a lot of end-game items, mostly hard-to-get and boss-specific items. That would mean (to complete the game and escape) you need to survive all the seasons, the caves and ruins to obtain everything you need to make this portal (like Maxwell's door only different) back home.

I was thinking maybe even add items needed for the machine (or even just a condition) in Adventure mode and it needs to be completed at least once to be able to use that. This way, all the aspects of the game is put together to support one single goal.

Escape.

No, just no.

Adventure mode is something that man needs to complete, it is not about winning, it is about surviving, Maxwell character is good enough as a reward for it.

What would be better is if this machine took you to a DIFFERNT adventure mode.  One that incorporates summer, and cave and ruin levels.  And at the end is THEM.  And depending on who we beat it with, we get an end video that explain that character's history and whatnot.  Some full-on production like the original Forbidden knowledge video.  Otherwise, just the notion of "escape" doesn't really hold any interest for me.

Of course, that's a DLC all by itself, since those videos are very expensive to make.  But judging from how crazy everyone used to go over the history teasers in the old updates for the original game, I'm guessing it'd be bankable.

Archived