Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

ScaryMonster

Killer bees spawning in place of bumblebees in spring, pollinating flowers?

ScaryMonster    33

As the title says, for the past several in-game days I've been seeing nothing but killer bees. There are no killer bee hives that I've found in my world, and they've been spawning from both my bee box and normal hives with no provocation. For the most part they seem to behave like bumblebees would. They gather pollen, make honey, sit on flowers, and they still attack me on sight.

I've never seen this happen during autumn or winter (haven't gotten to summer yet) so maybe it's something to do with spring? I can't recall the exact day that it occurred but I first noticed it on day 22 or 23 I think. It's now day 28 in my world and they haven't changed. I attached some screenshots for verification of them chilling.

Also, I could be wrong but they seem to prioritize flowers over me - if they're sitting on one they won't attack unless I get really close or until they're done with the flower.

post-245154-0-82627300-1394076745_thumb.

post-245154-0-95964100-1394076760_thumb.

brummbar7    513

Ya, the killer bees is a spring thing.  Can't speak to the flower spreading, though it wouldn't surprise me at all.

ScaryMonster    33

Ah, I did a bit of looking around and couldn't find anything about it so I assumed it was a bug. Maybe it'll cut down on people whining about how honey and bee boxes are OP. No more building them right next to your base.

brummbar7    513

There's a lot more seasonal variables in RoG.  Spiders are more numerous in spring, rabbit holes close up in spring but extra rabbits show up in summer.  Everything is open for business in Autumn, and beefalo breed more.  As a whole it makes the world seem more alive, I think.

Zalyn    69

Ah, I did a bit of looking around and couldn't find anything about it so I assumed it was a bug. Maybe it'll cut down on people whining about how honey and bee boxes are OP. No more building them right next to your base.

The problem is that they have to be within a certain distance or they'll go to "inactive/wild" mode. I think it's a bit unfair to require them to be near you... but not too near (especially when there is no indicator of what those distances are).

Any update on whether they go back to being normal bees later on?

porps    118

i could never stand to have them buzzing around close to my base anyway, makes way too much noise! 

Mr_E_Fox    59

Can't speak to the flower spreading, though it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I believe flowers simply spawn in the spring and don't actually need bees to spread them.

Also I like how they're aggressive in the spring. It's a nice twist. But correct me if I'm wrong, they're not actually "killer bees", they're just bees with a color tint to convey that they'll attack, and if you catch them you can make a bee box with them?

SethR    1,229

The problem is that they have to be within a certain distance or they'll go to "inactive/wild" mode. I think it's a bit unfair to require them to be near you... but not too near (especially when there is no indicator of what those distances are).

Any update on whether they go back to being normal bees later on?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here? Bees in pre Reign of Giants games weren't actually set to be friendly to the player, but since players don't tend to attack their own beeboxes, there were only ever 'normal' bees around (i.e. bees that will only aggro if you attack them). During Spring in Reign of Giants, bees are a bit more territorial.

I believe flowers simply spawn in the spring and don't actually need bees to spread them.

Also I like how they're aggressive in the spring. It's a nice twist. But correct me if I'm wrong, they're not actually "killer bees", they're just bees with a color tint to convey that they'll attack, and if you catch them you can make a bee box with them?

As a continuation of my point above, @Mr_E_Fox is right on the money: Spring bees are not actually killer bees. The only change in their behavior from normal bees is that if you get quite close to them, they'll start attacking you. We made them red to indicate that they are hostile.

Does that make sense?

Skorp    98

As a continuation of my point above, @Mr_E_Fox is right on the money: Spring bees are not actually killer bees. The only change in their behavior from normal bees is that if you get quite close to them, they'll start attacking you. We made them red to indicate that they are hostile.

Does that make sense?

I think the problem is that killer bees are not valid for beeboxes or bee mines (I think, haven't checked in a while) and the bumblebees now look identical

Zalyn    69

I'm not quite sure what you mean here? Bees in pre Reign of Giants games weren't actually set to be friendly to the player, but since players don't tend to attack their own beeboxes, there were only ever 'normal' bees around (i.e. bees that will only aggro if you attack them). During Spring in Reign of Giants, bees are a bit more territorial.

Does that make sense?

That definitely helps!  I think that we have all been conditioned to run the heck away from any red buzzing things (well done!). 

1) The issue with distance was a response to someone above saying that maybe this feature would keep people from building their bee boxes so close to their base.  As long as they're not actually killer bees and are just a bit more cranky, that is fine and won't actually apply to that comment. 

2) Can we use the red spring bees as bee ingredients for boxes and mines?  That was actually what prompted me to check here; I was all psyched up to make a bee box when spring came, and all I saw were red bees.

SethR    1,229

I think the problem is that killer bees are not valid for beeboxes or bee mines (I think, haven't checked in a while) and the bumblebees now look identical

Yeah, this is definitely something we considered. Ultimately, we decided that we preferred the slight inconsistency of a red Spring bee turning into a yellow bee when you catch it to not having this mechanic at all.

2) Can we use the red spring bees as bee ingredients for boxes and mines?  That was actually what prompted me to check here; I was all psyched up to make a bee box when spring came, and all I saw were red bees.

As I said above, red spring bees will revert to normal yellow bees when you catch them. So, yes, you can use them in those recipes.

As for telling them apart (i.e. for knowing that a bee you're trying to catch is valid for a recipe), the rule that actual killer bees won't spawn unless you start attacking the bees/beehives is still in place. So, if you happen upon a bee in the world and you haven't attacked any bees or beehives, that's a normal bee for crafting purposes, regardless of its color.