Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Lumina

Summer and Ice-Flingomatic

Lumina    2,135

Hello,

The Ice-Flingomatic theorically help to prevent smoking thing to catch fire.

But The Ice-Flingomatic seems to not always act on my crops. Sometime it throw a ice-ball, but in some case it don't act at all.

There was two Ice-Flingomatic in screen, and one smoking farm, some withered plants and nothing else to do ( Ice-Flingomatic was not acting on something else), and nothing. So farm catch fire.

Ice-Flingomatic were two fueled, and "on".

Am i missing something ?

Percival    766

I think that if there is too much fire, then it would either not work or take a long time to do so.

Bryce    1,068

It could be out of range. We're going to make it more obvious that the fling-o-matics a have maximum range!

Lumina    2,135

It seems me that it was nearest than some thing the fling-o-matics could reach.

But if it happens again, i'll try to take screen, it will be more easy to see if it is the reason.

Lumina    2,135

As promised :

You can see in the screen belove :

- Ice Flingomatic is ON.

- Nearest Farm is smoking

I've take some second to take the screen and nothing from the Flingomatic.

It is not throwing ice to something else, it do nothing for the moment.

It can reach this distance, i've seen it reach farest thing before.

Also, it is strange that it can't cold the farm BEFORE they smoke. The four nearest farm (two for the first range, two for the second) have recieved iceball before, without effect.

It is why it don't send new iceball ? Because it have done it before without effet ?

post-220786-0-32247400-1394050591_thumb.

SethR    1,229

I've made a few changes to the behavior of the Ice Flingomatic locally (coming out in the next update): it will now prioritize targets according to threat level (i.e. fire then smoldering things then withered things, etc etc) and wildfires shouldn't be able to start on things that it's protected.

If you're still having issues after the update comes out in a week, please let us know!

oCrapaCreeper    3,093

I've made a few changes to the behavior of the Ice Flingomatic locally (coming out in the next update): it will now prioritize targets according to threat level (i.e. fire then smoldering things then withered things, etc etc) and wildfires shouldn't be able to start on things that it's protected.

If you're still having issues after the update comes out in a week, please let us know!

Does it still put out campfires, fire pits, etc? That's quite annoying.

jbeetle    1,872

I agree...but also hilarious to me at the same time :p

brummbar7    513

Especially the Endofire.  That's supposed to be a cold fire, why would the flinger even target it? 

SethR    1,229

It sure does! As the description says, it puts out fires. It does not discriminate any further than that--it is not a smart machine. It doesn't even know the difference between a cold fire and a hot fire. It sees fire and it thinks "hmm, I should put that out" and so it does.

SethR    1,229

As far as the code is concerned, they are fires, so they'll be the first priority (over smoldering things, etc). Unfortunately, as far as the game is concerned, fire is fire.

Shoggoth    177

I noticed my flingomatic targeting saplings in the winter.  I thought it would only target plants when they were smoldering/withering.

oCrapaCreeper    3,093

As far as the code is concerned, they are fires, so they'll be the first priority (over smoldering things, etc). Unfortunately, as far as the game is concerned, fire is fire.

Well, that is going to suck. It's going to end up prioritizing something harmless like an endothemeric fire over a smoldering structure, leaving you stuck in the dark at night and probably letting smoldering things light up while it's busy putting out the endothermic while you try to refuel it.

I guess it does encourage smarter placement of structures (like don't cramp everything near a firepit/endothemeric). But it just seems a bit irritating. If multiple fires at present at once, does it pick the closest one, or is it random? 

SethR    1,229

It looks for things closest to it first. It should fling ice fast enough that it'll get to anything that is smoldering before it goes up in flames, even if there's one or two things closer AND higher priority. For what it's worth, it won't put out torches if you find yourself in a bind. Those fires are too small for it to notice.

Like you said, might be a good reason to start considering your base layout carefully!

Eeeuuugh. I just had things erupt into flame that are directly surrounding the endothermic fire-pit, which is totally driving me nuts. After one fire was fully extinguished another fire erupted five minutes later. It seems like the same glitch that's affecting the heat-stone from fully heating is working in the opposite direction with summer heat, where things aren't cooling as they should be.

I had my endothermic fire fully blasting... but, if it's not a broken mechanic and the flingomatic is the ONLY way you can stop fires, there should probably be another accessible option, maybe a smaller single-use solution you can build using an alchemy machine.

post-255492-0-04081200-1394649727_thumb.

justjasper    77

I can deal with the Fling putting out constructed fires, it adds to the challenge, but I'd sure love to be able to see the range radius of the Fling when placing.