Cold in caves

Yes, the caves definitely need to be addressed. I think making the temperature of the caves realistic would really add a lot to the game--also, maybe educational? Realism can ruin a game, but in this case, not adding it ruins it due to the logic it goes against.

More threats and penalties could be added to the cave, however; to make the trade off of weather problems to translate into other things...like more drastic earthquakes?

Below-ground temperatures (I.E in caves) normally stay at the average temperature of 54 Degrees.  In the summer, this would be pleasantly cool, while in winter, it would feel quite warm.  So, basically what everyone else is saying.  It would also be balanced; would you rather deal with the heat and chill above-ground, or the threats below?

I really, really hope they undo the cold in caves.  I liked that caves presented _different_ challenges from the surface -- instead of rain or cold, I had earth quakes and cave-ins and perhaps a lack of sunlight in most areas.  If I'm going to get cold and wet underground AND have cave-ins and worms, I will probably just avoid the caves almost entirely, instead of considering them as part of or one among many survival strategies. I'd be disappointed if the severe cave weather made me think I'd be better off just staying above ground. :razz: 
I think the cave threats (and cave "weather") should be different from the surface, both for realism AND gameplay -- for once, gameplay and realism can get along just fine.  If I wanted to try weather the winter in the caves because of the moderate temperates, well, so be it!  It was one choice of many.  
I could see making surface farms/seeds not plantable on cave terrains, if an additional cave challenge is really true necessary.  I can see food challenges being different in a stony underground cave, but then, I've actually found trees living underground. *shrug*

Does anyone know if crops and other flammable items with smolder and light on fire inside of caves? I'd like to put my farms down inside of one for the summer, since it would seam reasonable that caves would protect you from at least combustion. 

Does anyone know if crops and other flammable items with smolder and light on fire inside of caves? I'd like to put my farms down inside of one for the summer, since it would seam reasonable that caves would protect you from at least combustion. 

I've never actually seen a wildfire in the caves, although I had an ice flingomatic in my cave camp. However, I did see berry bushes and saplings wither, so I would guess they can also burn up !

Archived