Keeping Weather and Caves Seperated

They could use a sort of weather-like system down there, but make it worse but localized, if for instance magma pools would pop up in random places and be there for 20 days or something, and in that time there would be a 'localized' "summer", maybe even more intense than above ground summer.  This would be somewhat unpredictable and require the player to have cool items on hand just in case.    They could do uh...'subterranean glaciers' too, that would sort of 'erupt' in random areas in the same way.   Drop rain from ruins entirely, and if keeping it for caves, reduce it's magnitude.   It would make it a little more logical, and even more dangerous, since they would not be predictable like seasons.  And if they wanted to mess with us even more they'd make it so that rock lobsters won't follow into cold areas, and bunny men won't follow into hot areas.  At least in this way they could use the same mechanics rather than coming up with something entirely new (more new = more time). 

I'm more in favor of weather in the open light areas and perhaps some other challenges to make it more deadly. Having weather in and around the light areas also follows a good suggestion I read inclining to localize weather impact on the surface, with something like less heat impact in the general world, higher in the grasslands, and much greater in desert.

To me the caves were never a place to live in, more of an excursion zone. I'd like it if the caves scaled in difficulty the longer you stayed in them for a single trip till it's almost unlivable (possible but neigh guaranteed lethal) rather then just relying on combating simple insanity or worm aggression. Kind of like your presence is awakening/provoking the darkness. It could lead to different insanity monsters spawning or even your character powers turning on you. Something along the lines of Wilson's beard becoming dangerous both on and off him with faster growing, Lucy refusing to leave Woodie's hand while drawing him towards trees, Wolfgang's appetite being insatiable. Perhaps even an inversion could happen where Wickerbottom becomes narcoleptic or intermittently incapable of remember how to craft/use things.

It's an interesting area to explore depending on what kind of area Klei wants the caves to be.

I agree with the rest of the people here, weather should really not be a big deal in the caves, considering how many problems you have to deal with down there already. If anything, its effects should be really, reeaaally weakened.

Also my idea. Caves have their own problems to worry about, the weather should not affect them (or at least don't affect them so much).

Been running through caves like it was nothing lately. Going to sound like a broken record at this point, but the whole concept of making caves harder by adding weather is pointless because by the time you are ready to explore caves you already have all the equipment needed to deal with weather. I mean, if they just want to prevent us from making farms for winter, they can simply just make it so the plant's growth is dependent on seasons and not cold and make it so they cannot grow in caves during winter. So, even with the few changes last patch, I am still set on keeping weather out of caves in exchange for other content.

Meh, this system is great. Combination of earthquakes, nightmare cycles and weather is very fun, I don't care if there are no clouds and sun underground. The only thing underground misses is giants.

Another problem with the weather in caves and ruins is that you don't have any way of knowing when a season will change.

In my current game I'm in the ruins in the end of spring, getting ready to fight the boss while trying to survive endless darkness, the worms, nightmare creatures, endless depth dwellers, earthquakes and getting enough food to survive. I could do without getting wet, but I definitely don't need summer arriving and beginning to overheat while I'm fighting the guardian. I can't really afford to constantly have two sets of seasonal gear and a thermal stone on me, I already need to have a lot of stuff on me to survive the ruins themselves.

It's doable. It's just not fun.

Another problem with the weather in caves and ruins is that you don't have any way of knowing when a season will change.

In my current game I'm in the ruins in the end of spring, getting ready to fight the boss while trying to survive endless darkness, the worms, nightmare creatures, endless depth dwellers, earthquakes and getting enough food to survive. I could do without getting wet, but I definitely don't need summer arriving and beginning to overheat while I'm fighting the guardian. I can't really afford to constantly have two sets of seasonal gear and a thermal stone on me, I already need to have a lot of stuff on me to survive the ruins themselves.

It's doable. It's just not fun.

If I learned anything about caves and ruins is that it is always best to take your time. As soon as you start rushing things, you start making mistakes and you end up dying. Take your time to set up a cave outpost, store in all the equipment you need for all seasons if you are planning on staying there for a really long period of time. I have explored many caves and many ruins since RoG came out with weather in them, and if you do things properly, weather won't be an issue.

Also, Thermometer and Rainometer, although not precise, can give you a fair idea of seasons if you use them together. If you see that you are about to change season and you are not ready to make the sacrifice of space to bring extra seasonal equipment (or just can't afford it), it might be best to wait for the other season to start before going away for too long. As you said, you don't want to get caught by overheating while fighting the Ancient Guardian if you don't have anything to cool yourself down.

Just a tip for summer in caves: if you have the insulated pack or snow chester, they can help you preserve the icecube long enough for your expeditions. If you start overheating, equip the ice cube until you cool down a bit. I remember reading somwehere recently that snow Chester was cold enough to freeze a thermal stone, you might also want to consider that.

Finally, ruins are the most hostile place in the game. Of all the threats that exist down there, weather is definitely the least of your concern. If anything, weather will prevent you from rushing things, which might end up saving you in the long run, as you will be more careful overall. If you feel you can't explore the whole ruins in a single trip, there is no shame in that. Just go back up, restock yourself with whatever you need, go on the surface if needed, then go back in the ruins. All the stuff we get access to in the ruins is mostly the best in the game, we have to deserve it. I don't want it served to me on a silver platter.

It's doable, and it's challenging. The fun part is not objective, as what is fun for some won't be for others. I personally enjoy the caves and the ruins as they are, with the weather. Whatever the devs do, there will always be some players who don't like, they just can't please everyone. In the end, they will balance things out, with easier things and harder things as they see fit (without ignoring the comunity).

Guess so. Yet, the weather in the cave is loathed by a fair share of players it would seem.

As for surviving in the ruins, I have my camp set up, a thermal stone in the ice box and some nitre on me just in case. I'd still prefer not to have to watch that while I'm fighting the plethora of other dangers down there. Partly because it makes no sense, partly because it doesn't bring anything to the caves and ruins, it just makes them more tedious.

Also, like some already pointed out, I don't think anyone able to survive the caves and ruins would need to escape the heat or rain in the surface world in the first place, so the whole reasoning behind that decision is dubious IMO. "Oh noes, it's hot and I'll have to carry a thermal stone and wear a hat, better go in the monster-infested pit of constant darkness to make it easier" ?

I want some sort of OPTION atleast to disable all weather in the caves, there's enough crap to deal with underground then to make it seem like a player is just down there to -cheese- the devs ever soo 'brilliantly' thought out extreme weather where you're either soaked, heated or frozen to death unless you choose to start in autumn and actually have the chance to get established.

Yep, weather in caves is hated by enough players, me included. And I completely agree that there needs to be more appropriate hazards in caves than weather effects like overheating in the damn Ruins. Maybe not exactly something that was mentioned in first post of this thread, but surely different than just transferring weather to Caves.

I agree that when you go to Caves you are supposed to have all the means to counter any Season's effects already, but overheating underground in my opinion is one of the most ridiculous things this game has to offer. Freezing and Wetness is not exactly impossible, actually Caves as someone mentioned are rather chilly in all seasons, but never heard of someone getting heat stroke by being in a cave.

At least remove Cave heat, or justify it by something like geysers or lava pits, introduce some new problems (I really liked darkness idea, Spider infestations an etc.). I think that'll make Caves less ridiculous and much more interesting and enjoyable to explore.

Archived