[potential spoiler] Issues with spring difficulty

I've seen many people complain and wonder about the dropping of their sanity levels. That's actually not what I'm here for. Or at least, not the main reason.

Something happened to me on day 15 or 16. I was running along the map looking for a swamp so I could finally gather the monster hide that I need for a rain coat. Obviously it was raining non-stop, and I tried keeping my sanity as high as possible by not wearing anything. Then suddenly... Frog rain.

I mean really... Frog rain was one of the few things that I thought was amazing about Adventure mode, but I'd like it to remain in adventure mode and not stick to my sandbox. You're running around without protection to reduce sanity loss, then suddenly there are frogs EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure if it is a bug or if it was intended, but one thing's for sure... It ruined my game :p I had the choice of wearing armor to protect myself from endless tongues of frogs but go insane, or not to wear armor and simply die instantly.

Anyone else ran into frog rain? It bothered me a little bit, to be honest.

Other than that... Great DLC! Love the challenge it adds :) Looking forward to the fully updated and patched game.

I'm on my second spring, I've gotten frogs both times. When I got frogs the first time I was very surprised and I freaked out quite a bit because I remember them being very annoying in Adventure. Only difference from you is that I had for the most part set up my camp and I had already gotten my umbrella and rain hat for sure (not sure about the rain coat) so for me it was extra food pretty much since I just continuously trapped them which took some time but it's worth it considering the awesome difficulty of the DLC. Second time was pretty much the same but even easier because I was prepared even more for it.

My first (and only) spring I had no frog rain.   I actually had quite a few clear days to, it wasn't totally horrible.  You definitely need to know that putting items inside  chest dries them though.    I even had rain for like 2 or 3 days straight in the summer (and I'm only 8 days into it) which I thought was pretty odd, but welcome!

Haha, reading all this I realize I'd much rather have them in 2nd spring. I'm not going to turn it off, since I think it's a pretty cool feature in general. I think it'd be wise for Klei to turn off frog rain for the first spring, especially if the player starts in it. It's pretty much devastating. Definitely will be adjusting my play style for a second playthrough. :p

When I played the expansion, it was like the 6th day of my first spring, and the frog rain started in the middle of the night. Eventually I had like 12  frogs around my campfire and the fire was about to go out, luckily I managed to survive the night by hopping from firefly to firefly, but yeah, the frog rain does need to be tweaked.
I died like 2 days later while trying to find a single spiders nest in my world.

I actually have just had it rain frogs a second time on my second spring. They started raining while I was hearing hounds and also while realizing that Chester had gotten stuck way behind me in the map and he had my tentacle spike. I dropped his eyebone and ran to my circle of tooth traps and it was just a cluster of hounds, frogs and the occasional mosquitos coming in to take a bite all while I was running around at night relying on fire hounds for light for the most part.

I handled it pretty well but the frogs kept triggering my tooth traps so I decided not to reset them for the time being. I had frogs near my bee boxes so they were constantly fighting bees which I didn't interfere with since I didn't really need any more honey at the time so I just let them fight it out and eventually all the frogs were clear. I had frogs just slightly north in my tentacle-less swamp fighting mosquitos as well which got me a good amount of mosquito sacks. After a couple of days I tried luring the remaining frogs into traps but got sick of it and just killed all the rest with my spear. Now it's summer and I've dealt with all the frogs pretty much.

SO what I'm trying to get at with that whole shpeel is that I'm fine with how frog rain is for the most part. It's a good mechanic that can definitely set you back and kill you if you aren't prepared for it but overall you can deal with it, even in the first spring. I think it should have a much lower chance of happening in the first spring however if it is the season you start with because if you get unlucky enough for it to happen super early I can see it being unfair.

Archived