Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

penguinland

Updater crashes on Ubuntu 13.10

penguinland    4

Bug Submission

Please choose a category
*Pick the option that fits the issue the most. Ideally use this in your thread title aswell*

[Crash]

Platform
* Pick your platform. For instance, standalone on Mac is also possible.*

• Standalone
  • Linux (Ubuntu 13.10)
  • Do you use mods?

no
    Version Number
  • (taken from the bottom left corner of the screen after pressing backspace)
    Rev. 88571
    2013-10-30_11-54-28
    12:05:27
  • Issue title

Updater crashes on startup; game runs fine

Steps to reproduce

Navigate to the directory where you unzipped dontstarve_x64_1383879308.tar from Humble Bundle, and run dontstarve.sh. Observe that it prints out some warnings about Pango fonts, then segfaults even before it creates any new windows. Navigate within the dontstarve/ directory to bin/ and run dontstarve.sh from there. Observe that the game itself works fine, and the crash is in the updater. 

Any chance I can get either a working updater or a version of the game with the November 14 and November 19 bugfixes? I'm happy to run any commands on my machine that you think would help diagnose the problem.

More details:

• My workaround for "updating" the game had been to re-download everything from Humble Bundle every time an update came out, and then just run the game directly and skip the updater. However, I have recently learned that I still don't have the November 14 bugfix (discovered because my ham bat loses durability). It appears that the most recent version I can download from Humble Bundle is the (un-bugfix'ed) All's Well That Maxwell version.
  • Here's the output from the crash:
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix elementFontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix elementFontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number(updater:18416): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.PangoFc will not work correctly.This probably means there was an error in the creation of:  '/etc/pango/pango.modules'You should create this file by running:  pango-querymodules > '/etc/pango/pango.modules'(updater:18416): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'(updater:18416): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  ./dontstarve.sh
  • As suggested in that output, I have run pango-querymodules > '/etc/pango/pango.modules', so that that file contains an autogenerated comment but nothing else. This didn't affect the behavior, though. I strongly suspect these warnings are a red herring anyway: the updater used to work (when I was running Ubuntu 13.04) but would display little boxes instead of letters. I suspect the Pango warnings are basically saying that I'm going to have little boxes instead of letters, and I suspect that something else is causing the crash.
  • I had previously asked about this here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/28862-updated-ubuntu-to-1310-now-dont-starve-crashes-on-startup/ which is how I learned that I could still play the game even though the updater doesn't work. However, there was no further resolution of how to get a working updater.
  • The updater.log file in the main dontstarve/ directory is empty. Whatever is crashing happens early enough that it doesn't write anything to the log file first.
  • It seems I'm running updater version 19 (i.e., it's in a directory called 19/)
  • I have also tried installing Steam and installing the game through there, but when I run that version it pops up a black window and immediately crashes (even before I can enter my product key), and I don't see any obvious error messages or logs. I have never used Steam before; I'd prefer to get the standalone version of the game updated with the most recent bugfixes.

lbee    0

Same here, I bought Humble version for Arch Linux 64bit, and could not run updater but game work fine.

KLEI, PLEASE FIX IT!!!

Thks.

Wade    309

It looks like something in the latest version of Ubuntu is causing an issue. I'll have the team look into it so we can get it fixed.

penguinland    4

It's been a week with no reply back. I understand that you're busy with the Reign of Giants stuff and would not prioritize this issue very highly. A simple workaround is just to push the most recent bugfix'ed version to Humble Bundle, so that I and others can then download it without using your updater. I suspect that would be much simpler than figuring out what's wrong with the updater and fixing it. Any chance this could happen?

Wade    309

We were actually able to fix the issue with the Updater not running (although you will still likely encounter the Pango issue). We didn't want to just push a new content build, as we are making quite a few changes and fixes still, which would require us to just repeatedly push out new standalone builds.

I've talked with the programmers this morning though, and I will see about getting new versions of the Standalone build to Humble and GOG later today.

penguinland    4

I understand that you're in the middle of lots of changes and it would be unreasonable for me to expect a nightly build or other repeated new content. All I'm asking for is a build from mid-November or later (the Don't Starve wiki suggests that the most recent publicly release update is from November 19). If I had a working updater, I would already have gotten this months ago. However, Humble Bundle still does not have the November bugfixes, and I'm not aware of a way that I can get updates besides downloading whatever they have.

Wade    309

Yes, I'm currently working on getting the updated standalone versions available.

I have the new versions all built and ready to send off, but I need to have the programmers make some changes and revisions to our update servers first. Otherwise, the new build will just display an error message when the Updater tries to connect to the servers.

penguinland    4

It's been another week, and I still don't see an updated version on HB (the file I can download still ends in 1383879308.tar.gz). Do you have an estimate on when the build you've prepared will be available? Given that the reason for the new build is that the current Linux updater doesn't work, I'm not too concerned if the updater in the new version still doesn't work. 

Wade    309

Yes, unfortunately our team was at a conference all of last week, so they are catching up on some issues this week. I'm hoping to have the new version over to Humble on Wednesday.

penguinland    4

I see that you've updated the 32-bit Linux version on HB, though the 64-bit version still seems un-bugfix'ed (edit: the 64-bit version has been updated as well). Although the new updater still segfaults, the game itself does have the bugfixes and still runs fine, which is all I was asking for. Thanks!

luwo    0

I can confirm this, the updater still segfaults.

Nevertheless, thanks for pushing the updates to HB!

Wade    309

That is strange, as we put in a fix for the segfaulting on the updater. My Linux machine was also segfaulting and is able to run the Updater now.

I'll have the programmers take another crack at fixing it though.

plonk12    0

I have installed dontstarve stand alone on xubuntu 14.04. The issue is still there. The installer and the updater do not show the font. The game itself works.

Wade    309

Yeah, the issue with the font not showing is something we are looking into, but may not be fixing.

hummer010    0

Has there been any progress on this?

I'm running on Arch 64, and I still get the segfault with the updater. I can play just fine if I bypass the updater, but I can't install ROG because I can't update.

I've got updater version 20.

Wade    309

Can you try going to either Humble or GOG where you got the Standalone, and make sure you have the latest version of the build?

There should be a version with a more recent Updater version.

hummer010    0

Can you try going to either Humble or GOG where you got the Standalone, and make sure you have the latest version of the build?

There should be a version with a more recent Updater version.

I just went to Humble and re-downloaded.  Still updater version 20.  This is the output:

[codesyntax]sh: symbol lookup error: sh: undefined symbol: rl_signal_event_hook

sh: symbol lookup error: sh: undefined symbol: rl_signal_event_hook

Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element

Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

(updater:27966): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

(updater:27966): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

dontstarve.sh: line 1: 27965 Segmentation fault updater/20/updater

dontstarve.sh: line 2: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'

dontstarve.sh: line 4: syntax error: unexpected end of file

[/codesyntax]

This is 64-bit don't starve on 64-bit Arch.  The updater in the 32-bit version will run and update, but then I get libcurl-gnutls not found error after the update.