Animals in Chests should "spoil"

RoG definitely seems to be shooting for a more difficult experience, with more balance in food situations.  However, I noticed I can apparently still store rabbits in chests indefinitely (I didn't test for super-long period though). 

I think that any time a living animal is put in a chest, it should have a spoilage meter put on it.  A fast one like fish.  To represent them starving/suffocating.

RoG definitely seems to be shooting for a more difficult experience, with more balance in food situations.  However, I noticed I can apparently still store rabbits in chests indefinitely (I didn't test for super-long period though). 

I think that any time a living animal is put in a chest, it should have a spoilage meter put on it.  A fast one like fish.  To represent them starving/suffocating.

Just like how Maxwell says that the Mining Hat wears about because the firefly eventually starves.

I think there should be a special item that allows you to store living items like the bird cage for birds.

Ya, people have suggested "rabbit hutches" and the like before, but that would require a lot of new art, probably not high on Klei's priority list.  Adding a spoil meter to rabbits is a lot easier I imagine, and more in the spirit of making the game harder, which RoG is tending towards I think.

It would be more difficult.  Which is what they seem to be going with for RoG.    They've made food on crockpots rot.   Rabbits shut down for spring, bees total aggressive in spring.  I think food may even rot faster in summer, though I can't confirm it.   Some peoples' "annoying" is other peoples' "challenging".

If rabbits can suffocate in chests, they should also gradually fill the chest with more rabbits before they perish.  Because rabbits...  :friendly_wink:

When I first started the game, I was sad that there was no way to domesticate rabbits other than to stick them in chests, so I wouldn't mind a rabbit hutch for them.  The funny thing is that I always keep a chest of rabbits around for emergencies, but I rarely use them, so I guess it is more of a security blanket than a really needed mechanic for me.

I always make a pen for rabbits, i don't like using chests because i feel like cheating. I always end up with a nice pen with roughly 20 rabbits in with one berry bush for feeding them, one grass for their hay/timothy and one tree to protect them from the sun.

If i can, i even make a pen where i find a carrot and leave the carrot there forever XD

I always make a pen for rabbits, i don't like using chests because i feel like cheating. I always end up with a nice pen with roughly 20 rabbits in with one berry bush for feeding them, one grass for their hay/timothy and one tree to protect them from the sun.

If i can, i even make a pen where i find a carrot and leave the carrot there forever XD

what walls do you make your pen out of? I prefer wood for rabbits (and at the moment moles), grass for beefalo and koalaphants, and stone for visually enhancing my pig villages.

Has anything ever eaten/killed them?  ( I know things may change for RoG, but until that) 

This is such a great idea; I enjoy practicing ethics in games that allow me to.  Off to make a rabbit pen!

I think for animals there should be a hunger stats, like the rotting stat for food, thought for the ice I think it should be in blue colour to represent how melted it is. In order to prevent animals from starving in your pockets or the chests, you would need to give them food and the more stacked they are the more food you would need to give them to get them the same hunger up:

For example if you have 1 bird you feed it with seeds, it gets like 4 hunger or something, where as if you have 4 birds, the hunger goes up for the birds by 1 and you would need 4 to get enough as you would feed 1 bird and the stack should be in yellow instead of green (which is for the food staleness) or something like that because yellow represents hunger, right? Blue for the ice thought!

what walls do you make your pen out of? I prefer wood for rabbits (and at the moment moles), grass for beefalo and koalaphants, and stone for visually enhancing my pig villages.

I usually make them with Hay walls and i put a ligtning rod or two to prevent lightning strikes...it will probably change with the DLC though.

I never captured moles yet, i heard they can't dig under walls though, just like the worms...hope they will be able to find a workaround on that eventually.

Has anything ever eaten/killed them?  ( I know things may change for RoG, but until that) 

This is such a great idea; I enjoy practicing ethics in games that allow me to.  Off to make a rabbit pen!

Nothing ever ate them, might change with the DLC though, i'm glad you like the idea XD

Nothing ever ate them, might change with the DLC though, i'm glad you like the idea XD

I've heard tell that rabbits are one of the things that can spontaneously combust.  That may be your biggest problem.  Both for the rabbits and the walls.

I've heard tell that rabbits are one of the things that can spontaneously combust.  That may be your biggest problem.  Both for the rabbits and the walls.

I didnt get a summer yet so i don't know and i don,t want any spoilers...but i guess i'll make a ice'o flinger or wathever it's called to try and protect my pen!

I didnt get a summer yet so i don't know and i don,t want any spoilers...but i guess i'll make a ice'o flinger or wathever it's called to try and protect my pen!

"Here little bunnies, come live in my nice, free-range grassy pen.  Oh, don't mind that thing there; it just flings ice at your head sometimes. It's for your own good."

Archived