Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

zeropoint101

"dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working" every time I exit

As the title says, I get "dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working" every time I exit the game. It never just smoothly exits. This hasn't been a big problem as the game still works and saves correctly, but I've had a few other glitchy things going on, so I thought I would try and address it. It's been going on long before the recent patch related to the Reign of Giants. A month at least, I think?, maybe more.

Any thoughts on how to pinpoint what's wrong? Do I need to post a log file from somewhere, etc? Let me know.

kraken121    396

As the title says, I get "dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working" every time I exit the game. It never just smoothly exits. This hasn't been a big problem as the game still works and saves correctly, but I've had a few other glitchy things going on, so I thought I would try and address it. It's been going on long before the recent patch related to the Reign of Giants. A month at least, I think?, maybe more.

Any thoughts on how to pinpoint what's wrong? Do I need to post a log file from somewhere, etc? Let me know.

i'm having the exact opposite problem, after closing DS, If i try to close steam or start up DS again, it says that DS.exe i already running and refuses to do anything. Though I do not see it in the processes active.

i'm having the exact opposite problem, after closing DS, If i try to close steam or start up DS again, it says that DS.exe i already running and refuses to do anything. Though I do not see it in the processes active.

For this, is this happening only if you close and then try to restart pretty quickly? or even if you wait a while? If you try to reopen it, or close Steam, too quickly, it will still be syncing with the Steam cloud, and Don't Starve seems to take a couple extra seconds than some of my games so it might just be this...

kraken121    396

For this, is this happening only if you close and then try to restart pretty quickly? or even if you wait a while? If you try to reopen it, or close Steam, too quickly, it will still be syncing with the Steam cloud, and Don't Starve seems to take a couple extra seconds than some of my games so it might just be this...

nah, im talking hours later

started right before the update prior to the dlc, maybe 5 days before, now i have about 200 or so extra hours of "playing time" on my DS for steam.

Edit: actually it's strange, it will say i have the extra hours, then next time i launch steam they will be gone, sometimes some add in, sometimes they do not.(to the total amount of hours played) It has not really bugged me enough to look into it further, now its starting to get annoying though.

nah, im talking hours later

started right before the update prior to the dlc, maybe 5 days before, now i have about 200 or so extra hours of "playing time" on my DS for steam.

Edit: actually it's strange, it will say i have the extra hours, then next time i launch steam they will be gone, sometimes some add in, sometimes they do not.(to the total amount of hours played) It has not really bugged me enough to look into it further, now its starting to get annoying though.

Oh ok. Hours later, yeah that is weird. Until you find a better fix, you probably just need to end it in your task manager whenever you quit. That should both exit the game and solve the hours problem and it shouldn't affect your saves as those are already written to once you hit "save and exit" I'm pretty sure. And Steam is weird with the hours played thing. I've had some of the same weird issues you're talking about too. Anyway, one of the devs will jump in here and give us some solutions at some point. They're probably swamped with the DLC stuff.

Wade    309

Can I get those that are having this issue to try disabling Steam Cloud support and see if it makes a difference?

Can I get those that are having this issue to try disabling Steam Cloud support and see if it makes a difference?

Nope. This didn't fix it. I tried disabling it and restarting the game, and then I restarted Steam completely and still have the same issue. Would something in a log file maybe tell you what's happening when the game tries to close? If you can tell me which one and where it's located, I can post it here. I've also previously already tried verifying my game files through Steam.

Also, me and the other poster in this thread are having separate issues I think. Unless you think they are related?

kraken121    396

Did not work for me either.

Wade    309

Yes, perhaps the log file will provide info.

You can find it in your "documents\klei\donotstarve\" folder.

Well in looking at it, it's got about 1000 lines at the end where it's trying to load some "orphaned unnamed resource". I'm guessing that may be part of the problem, but don't know. Here's the file. Btw, Wade, is there anything in log files like this that I wouldn't want to be posting publicly? Didn't look like there was, but I only skimmed it. Let me know so I can take it down after you grab it if there is.

log.txt

Wade    309

Thanks, I'll pass along the information to our designers to see if they see something that could be causing the problem.

And no, there is no personal or compromising information in the log files that you would need to worry about. We wouldn't ask you to post them if they did.

Thanks, I'll pass along the information to our designers to see if they see something that could be causing the problem.

And no, there is no personal or compromising information in the log files that you would need to worry about. We wouldn't ask you to post them if they did.

Thanks, Wade. I actually assumed you were one of the devs..

kraken121    396

Here is my log file, still having the same prob

log.txt

J20hawkz    768

I know Wade is already helping you guys. But just an obvious thing to ask. Have either of you tried Verify Cache? Any files that were corrupted during installation this option cleans and fixes them up. Restart steam once you're done. Also do you have any mods installed?

kraken121    396

I know Wade is already helping you guys. But just an obvious thing to ask. Have either of you tried Verify Cache? Any files that were corrupted during installation this option cleans and fixes them up. Restart steam once you're done. Also do you have any mods installed?

Tried verifying cache, disabling cloud and not running any mods.

Wade    309

I'm going to need to have the programmers try and figure out why the orphaned resource issue is occurring, as it's possible that is what is causing the issue.

Yeah, same as kraken121. Verified the cache, I believe more than once even. I have some mods installed, but not active, but I'm 99% sure this was happening before I ever installed my first mod.

I'm going to need to have the programmers try and figure out why the orphaned resource issue is occurring, as it's possible that is what is causing the issue.

I've seen the "orphaned resource" issue mentioned in other posts. I don't recall where exactly, and didn't see any fixes for it, but maybe it's a starting point for the devs to sort it out.

An update on my problem - I tried emailing Klei support(no offense, Wade, I just hadn't heard back in a while and thought it couldn't hurt.) and they were no help. It was a rather odd situation. The log file which I sent to them originally had been sent after I had a separate issue with a mod I was working on. I fixed the problem with my mod, turned all mods back off as they usually are, and couldn't reproduce the problem. I told them this, and said it seemed to be fixed for now, so nevermind, etc.

At some point within a few days of that, the problem is now happening again every single time I close the game, and I have no idea why it suddenly stopped occuring for a short period.

As a side note, my interaction with Klei support was rather disappointing. The person who emailed me back asked me to try essentially everything I already explained that I had tried when I sent my first support email. I try to be thorough when I send a support email and I wonder why I bothered. Then when I told them it wasn't occuring anymore, she said "I'm glad you fixed your problem by disabling all your mods", which was not at all the case and I had already explained that.

Anyway, thanks for helping Wade. Let me know when you hear something from the devs.

kraken121    396

Yeah, same as kraken121. Verified the cache, I believe more than once even. I have some mods installed, but not active, but I'm 99% sure this was happening before I ever installed my first mod.

I've seen the "orphaned resource" issue mentioned in other posts. I don't recall where exactly, and didn't see any fixes for it, but maybe it's a starting point for the devs to sort it out.

An update on my problem - I tried emailing Klei support(no offense, Wade, I just hadn't heard back in a while and thought it couldn't hurt.) and they were no help. It was a rather odd situation. The log file which I sent to them originally had been sent after I had a separate issue with a mod I was working on. I fixed the problem with my mod, turned all mods back off as they usually are, and couldn't reproduce the problem. I told them this, and said it seemed to be fixed for now, so nevermind, etc.

At some point within a few days of that, the problem is now happening again every single time I close the game, and I have no idea why it suddenly stopped occuring for a short period.

As a side note, my interaction with Klei support was rather disappointing. The person who emailed me back asked me to try essentially everything I already explained that I had tried when I sent my first support email. I try to be thorough when I send a support email and I wonder why I bothered. Then when I told them it wasn't occuring anymore, she said "I'm glad you fixed your problem by disabling all your mods", which was not at all the case and I had already explained that.

Anyway, thanks for helping Wade. Let me know when you hear something from the devs.

this is strange indeed, It actually stopped happening for a very short period of time for me as well after posting in this thread, then started back up again.....

this is strange indeed, It actually stopped happening for a very short period of time for me as well after posting in this thread, then started back up again.....

Seriously?? That's completely bizarre. Even more so considering we aren't really having the same problem. I suppose they are both related to the .exe doing something strange though. Well I posted in another bug thread of mine that I think Klei could be fixing things without responding to the thread that reported them. I was joking, but I'm starting to wonder. Or I suppose it could be something related to updates for the DLC. <-- that's probably the more likely thing. 

kraken121    396

Seriously?? That's completely bizarre. Even more so considering we aren't really having the same problem. I suppose they are both related to the .exe doing something strange though. Well I posted in another bug thread of mine that I think Klei could be fixing things without responding to the thread that reported them. I was joking, but I'm starting to wonder. Or I suppose it could be something related to updates for the DLC. <-- that's probably the more likely thing. 

well, when mine started working normally (iirc) it was in between updates, in between the pre-dlc update and the hotfix? or it might have been in between the hotfix and me downloading the DLC... I really cant remember exactly, but I had assumed that they had fixed it, then it started up again.

Wade    309

We've got the programmers looking into the issue and trying to figure out why it is occurring. 

kraken121    396

We've got the programmers looking into the issue and trying to figure out why it is occurring. 

thanks Wade'n team

Wade    309

I know the team was looking into the issue and trying to find a fix with a couple of different changes.

Glad to hear that one of them apparently worked.

kraken121    396

I know the team was looking into the issue and trying to find a fix with a couple of different changes.

Glad to hear that one of them apparently worked.

good job :encouragement: