Season rain/snow/wet mechanic...your thoughts?

The way I see it it's hard to judge the end product right now due to:

A) Clothes take WAY to long to dry

B) The heat stone seems to barely work, if at all

The winter wetness either needs to go away, or be drastically reduced.  Falling snow does not soak you.  But to me the biggest problem is how long clothese stay soaked.  After the precipitation ends, you should be able to dry that stuff out in like, 3 hours TOPS, by being by a fire or something.  It makes winter ridiculous when you can't wear your winter clothes because they're soaked.  You can basically stand by your fire and hope you have enough food to last out the drying process.  Mine never did get dry.    

In the end I guess it kind of depends on what Klei is shooting for here in terms of hardcore-ness.  It seems extremely hard right now, but maybe if clothes dried faster and the heat stone worked better, winter would be a little better.  I'm actually kind of ok with a snowstorm forcing me to maybe spend a day hugging camp.  Make sure I'm stocked.  But snow lasts SO long sometimes it just really kills the feel of the game.

I haven't even made it to summer yet, but from what I've seen, it looks to me like the spontaneous combustion is WAY WAY over the top right now.  If bushes and trees spontaneously combust, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to leave your base without your entire world burning down.  You can't cover EVERYTHING in flingers.   I guess to my mind, trees, grass, and saplings should NEVER spontaneously combust.  Just to much potential to make the world a barren wasteland.  Berry bushes maybe if they're very close together like in a berry farm.  Then the player can be expected to protect them.  But they're non-renewable, so wild ones should not combust.  Unless of course the idea is to eventually drive the player to a new world.  But I'm forseeing anyone that wants to build fancy bases playing on the NO SUMMER setting.

The winter wetness either needs to go away, or be drastically reduced.  Falling snow does not soak you.  But to me the biggest problem is how long clothese stay soaked.  After the precipitation ends, you should be able to dry that stuff out in like, 3 hours TOPS, by being by a fire or something.  It makes winter ridiculous when you can't wear your winter clothes because they're soaked.  You can basically stand by your fire and hope you have enough food to last out the drying process.  Mine never did get dry.    

In the end I guess it kind of depends on what Klei is shooting for here in terms of hardcore-ness.  It seems extremely hard right now, but maybe if clothes dried faster and the heat stone worked better, winter would be a little better.  I'm actually kind of ok with a snowstorm forcing me to maybe spend a day hugging camp.  Make sure I'm stocked.  But snow lasts SO long sometimes it just really kills the feel of the game.

I haven't even made it to summer yet, but from what I've seen, it looks to me like the spontaneous combustion is WAY WAY over the top right now.  If bushes and trees spontaneously combust, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to leave your base without your entire world burning down.  You can't cover EVERYTHING in flingers.   I guess to my mind, trees, grass, and saplings should NEVER spontaneously combust.  Just to much potential to make the world a barren wasteland.  Berry bushes maybe if they're very close together like in a berry farm.  Then the player can be expected to protect them.  But they're non-renewable, so wild ones should not combust.  Unless of course the idea is to eventually drive the player to a new world.  But I'm forseeing anyone that wants to build fancy bases playing on the NO SUMMER setting.

I totally agree with you. Drying clothes takes too much time. Heat stone should be better than now. Also, natural system or device is needed to prevent catastrophic forestfires.

Awesome! Thanks for your input. I’d just like to add a few more things in response to your comment.

Firstly, may be a bug then but snow for me has caused the soak meter to fill up. Day 21 was the first day of Winter. I was fully expecting it, had my Winter Hat on, made by Heat stone, had plenty of logs and a good supply of food. But as soon as it began to snow, the soak meter popped up and it went all downhill from there. All my items were wet, sanity was dropping and I started to freeze almost instantly as soon as I moved a few inches from the fire. The heat stone never heated (stayed pale yellow) even though I held it above a pretty powerful fire, for god knows how long. Can’t leave it on the ground anymore are a mole may steal it.  

I actually love the addition of flash fires to the game. In  real life these can be devastating, literally wiping an entire forest from the face of this planet. But as it is now it’s just too difficult manage, unless OOO wants us to suffer :)

I thought up possible solutions to countering a flash fire, let me know what you guys think;

1. Rain Totem. Player made object placed next to potentially highly susceptible resources which can catch on fire. Summons heavy rain for a few seconds just before the object is about to set ablaze. It only works from that initial about to catch fire stage, to just before it actually sets on fire. So basically monsters that cause objects to catch on fire instantly, such as fire hounds, will not trigger the Rain Totem to open up the heavens.

2. Houndius Squirtius. Basically version 2 of the Houndius Shootius except this one shoots ice/water at fire. One shot will stop a fire. So if two berry bushes are on fire it will require two shots to stop both. 

3. Heat Rod. Works just like a Lightning Rod. Except it absorbs heat and fire. It produces light, but cools the player when stood next to it.

I think OOO made a good decision to make literally everything catch on fire. But I think it would be better if ‘wet’ objects are not able to catch on fire. So maybe one of these could be added;

4. Ice Sprinkler. Literally is a water sprinkler that squirts water/ice over a medium to large area and wets everything. This way the Player will have to ensure the sprinkler is always on. It will require ice to power so it’s important we stock up on ice before summer hits us. 

A final thing I would like to mention is the ability for trees to re grown from flash fires or from being chopped. When chopped it leaves behind a stump. Basically this opens up a number of options. The chopped tree drops only 1 acorn/pine cone, the player has the choice to dig up the stump for an extra log or the player leaves the stump and it slowly grows on its own naturally. This would definitely be an awesome touch to the game especially after the addition of flash fires. Burnt trees, if the player chooses not to chop down will by themselves disappear (makes charcoal hording slightly difficult), but they will leave behind a stump which will grow into a tree over time.

So what do you guys think? 

I totally agree with you. Drying clothes takes too much time.

Anybody else is urged to hang your cloths on the drying rack...? ^^

A final thing I would like to mention is the ability for trees to re grown from flash fires or from being chopped. When chopped it leaves behind a stump. Basically this opens up a number of options. The chopped tree drops only 1 acorn/pine cone, the player has the choice to dig up the stump for an extra log or the player leaves the stump and it slowly grows on its own naturally. This would definitely be an awesome touch to the game especially after the addition of flash fires. Burnt trees, if the player chooses not to chop down will by themselves disappear (makes charcoal hording slightly difficult), but they will leave behind a stump which will grow into a tree over time.

So what do you guys think? 

Really nice ideas, although I would wait until the next balancing wipe has occured with the more exotic things like a rain totem. 

But still I like the ideas and with the current situation they would be a great help when added.

What I really love is the regrowing tree idea.....I was hoping for that...like pinecones on the ground would plant themselves in after some time (but still pickable with a shovel) and forests would spread over time like after every withered state a cone is spawned and the forest would slowly grow.

With te wildfires....probably we could only do it like in real life...cutting swaths in the forest to make sure not the whole thing is burning down when it happens.

Oh yes! This would be pretty sweet! Maybe a washing line? Using rope and twigs to make? One line can hold 2 items of clothing?

I still dream of vanity items, hat racks, cabins and such which would in addition with the better floorings (kinda feng shui like) have an impact on your sanity regeneration.....hach ^^

I think the "natural" berry bush must not be burning. If they do, you can't move of your camp because you can't stop fire outside your base...

Or rarest for wild thing and like now for the berry bush, sapling and grass you have transplant before. For berry bush and grass, the need of manure prove you can distingue "natural" and "transplant".

Add something to "refresh" plant, but not static ? Ice staff for exemple ? You could use it on smoking plant to refresh them, litterally.

For the winter, i find sad that it "force" you to stay near your camp. But littles changes on the "wet" system and the heatstone can change it, so maybe it become more playable to move around.

I wonder if go in cave would not be to hard in this version, due to the rain/heat. Because cave will have nothing new to offer, it could discourage the exploration, no ?
Maybe use some cave ressource in new crafts, for make them more attractive ? And balance the new limitations.

Just made a Pretty Parasol. The effects it has during rain is negligible. The meter still shot up to 50 or so even while I was holding it. Day 1 Spring and my soak meter was half full already......

Really? Wow it helped me a decent amount. Then again you probably need to have a hat on as well. Top Hat, beefalo hat, grass hat and football helmet assist with the wetness meter I believe.

Really? Wow it helped me a decent amount. Then again you probably need to have a hat on as well. Top Hat, beefalo hat, grass hat and football helmet assist with the wetness meter I believe.

I know this. But it still seems a tad bit harsh. Honestly though it makes it so much more fun. I can't explain it though :), just feels less slow paced, definitely keeps you active and speeds you through the opening few days.

I'm at day 30 now on 2 separate saves. I keep dying on purpose or starting a new game to find best possible ways of surviving. My only worry now is that if Klei nerf it, it will seem too easy!!!

My only worry now is that if Klei nerf it, it will seem too easy!!!

Yeah, the problem is they start high (like the sanity when it was new) then everybody complains because it is too difficult ^^ and then things get nerfed a tad bit too much...

I enjoy the higher difficulty and I think less is more when it comes to nerfs....just no overnerf pls

Yeah, the problem is they start high (like the sanity when it was new) then everybody complains because it is too difficult ^^ and then things get nerfed a tad bit too much...

I enjoy the higher difficulty and I think less is more when it comes to nerfs....just no overnerf pls

I know right! In that case Klei just ignore everything I said please. Maybe just look at the new stuff I mentioned :)

Concerning the uncontrolled combustion of fauna, why not have garden sprinklers? They could be set near ponds, forcing the player to set up his garden/farm in certain spots if he wants all his plants concentrated in one area, since the sprinkler might work only when being near a water source. The current Ice Flingomatic could be used to extinguish buildings on fire.

Concerning the uncontrolled combustion of fauna, why not have garden sprinklers? They could be set near ponds, forcing the player to set up his garden/farm in certain spots if he wants all his plants concentrated in one area, since the sprinkler might work only when being near a water source. The current Ice Flingomatic could be used to extinguish buildings on fire.

Awesome Idea mate..I suggested something similar in post #28 :)

Edit: The Ice Flingomatic is an awesome addition to the game but is it just me or does it seem to miss a lot? You'll definitely need a bunch of them to hold back a fast spreading fire. Atm having a clumpy base isn't a good idea.

Edit: Using the rain coat and hat combined with a Pretty Parasol or Umbrella definitely reduced the soak meter, must have been a bug that caused my soak meter to carry on increasing in my previous save.

Hmm....I'm thinking it may be better to start the game in Autumn. It'll give us time to gather and construct. But again it will seem easier after we have been through all this....:/

Trees just shouldn't combust period.   It's not necessary, there's plenty of them, and I think everyone hates micromanagement.  .  I'm all for structures combusting, I always thought it was kind of funny that obviously flammable stuff like tents and drying racks didn't burn (but why can I STILL not burn my almost-used up tools?!).    But maybe some things shouldn't.  Like the icebox.  It's clearly all steel AND it's innately cold.    Also give us a non-combustible chest.  Now that chess setpieces are more common, make it require 3 or 4 gears.  That way people can't go super-overboard with them until they get to the ruins.   Speaking of which, allow us to "upgrade" normal structures with thulicite plating to make them non-combustible.  That'd be some good incentive to hit those ruins!

Trees just shouldn't combust period.   It's not necessary, there's plenty of them, and I think everyone hates micromanagement.  .  I'm all for structures combusting, I always thought it was kind of funny that obviously flammable stuff like tents and drying racks didn't burn (but why can I STILL not burn my almost-used up tools?!).    But maybe some things shouldn't.  Like the icebox.  It's clearly all steel AND it's innately cold.    Also give us a non-combustible chest.  Now that chess setpieces are more common, make it require 3 or 4 gears.  That way people can't go super-overboard with them until they get to the ruins.   Speaking of which, allow us to "upgrade" normal structures with thulicite plating to make them non-combustible.  That'd be some good incentive to hit those ruins!

I would have liked this but unfortunately I get the error message "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" even though I haven't liked anything :(

However trees should catch on fire. It makes complete sense. The only fear I have of this is entire biomes going up in flames. Wouldn't that completely ruin the current world?

However trees should catch on fire. It makes complete sense. The only fear I have of this is entire biomes going up in flames. Wouldn't that completely ruin the current world?

To clarify, I meant that trees should not *spontaneously* combust.  They should certainly be flammable.   I don't want to be locked out of all the forest biomes in the summer because they'll burn to the ground if I so much as look at them.  I'm just really lazy when it comes to typing out spontaneously, so I was using "combust" as shorthand.

To clarify, I meant that trees should not *spontaneously* combust.  They should certainly be flammable.   I don't want to be locked out of all the forest biomes in the summer because they'll burn to the ground if I so much as look at them.  I'm just really lazy when it comes to typing out spontaneously, so I was using "combust" as shorthand.

I tried staying out of forests as much as possible but it was for the most part manageable. It's not as bad as it initially sounds. I started carrying an axe with me so that the instant a tree started smoking I would run over and chop it down which works.

Introducing the Pocket Ice Flingomatic!

Always wished you could 'fire' a ball of ice? Wished that it could put out a 'fire' with one SHOT! Have you ever felt left out when your friends carried around super soakers? Well my friend put all that behind you and move on forward with you very own handy dandy all in one, no batteries required! Pocket Ice Flingomatic!

Introducing the Pocket Ice Flingomatic!

Always wished you could 'fire' a ball of ice? Wished that it could put out a 'fire' with one SHOT! Have you ever felt left out when your friends carried around super soakers? Well my friend put all that behind you and move on forward with you very own handy dandy all in one, no batteries required! Pocket Ice Flingomatic!

Isn't that an ice staff? Just add the ability to do that to the ice staff.

I would say this would be the best way to survive Spring from day 1.

1. MAX stack twigs, grass, logs and petals. 

2. Make a Straw Hat and Pretty Parasol ASAP.  70% wet resistant. 

3. Search for Spider Dens destroy for silk.

4. With the DLC you'll encounter quite a few Merm vs Pigmen battles. If you're lucky you'll find Pig Skin randomly on the ground, or just help the Merms and kill some of the pigs while they aggro the Merms. 

5. Get enough pig skin to make an Umbrella.  

You're 100% protected from rain and the soak meter won't fill any more. It literally rains every day so keeping stock of all necessary items to craft more Umbrellas and Straw Hats is important. As soon as you get a hammer find those pig head poles and destroy them for more pig skin.

Your thoughts?

Archived