Season rain/snow/wet mechanic...your thoughts?

My solution to dealing with things as they are now:

I would say this would be the best way to survive Spring from day 1.

1. MAX stack twigs, grass, logs and petals. 
2. Make a Straw Hat and Pretty Parasol ASAP.  70% wet resistant. 
3. Search for Spider Dens destroy for silk.
4. With the DLC you'll encounter quite a few Merm vs Pigmen battles. If you're lucky you'll find Pig Skin randomly on the ground, or just help the Merms and kill some of the pigs while they aggro the Merms. 
5. Get enough pig skin to make an Umbrella.  

You're 100% protected from rain and the soak meter won't fill any more. It literally rains every day so keeping stock of all necessary items to craft more Umbrellas and Straw Hats is important. As soon as you get a hammer find those pig head poles and destroy them for more pig skin.

Your thoughts?

EVEN OLDER

How things are currently.

If Autumn is first then:

Autumn - chill out time.
Winter - snow wets, causes freezing and reduces sanity.
Spring - rain wets, causes freezing and reduces sanity.
Summer - heat waves and devastating flash fires.

If Spring is first then:

Spring - rain wets, causes freezing and reduces sanity.
Summer - heat waves and devastating flash fires.
Autumn - chill out time.
Winter - snow wets, causes freezing and reduces sanity.

Honestly I don't mind it that much especially if I have a base set up, plenty of resources and I don't need to be away from a source of heat/chill for long periods. But early on it sure is frustrating and agonisingly difficult. To balance things up the game should start like this:

Spring - moderate to severe rain that causes 'soaking' that reduces sanity and hunger faster with no freezing.

Summer - as it is currently.

Autumn - mild to moderate rain that causes 'reduced soaking' that reduces sanity and hunger slowly with freezing.

Winter - as it is currently.

Standing next to a fire pit or camp fire (rain/snow has stopped) should lower the wet meter, reduce sanity and dry all items in your possession.

Standing next to a fire pit or camp fire (rain/snow is falling) should cause the wet meter to increase slowly and reduce sanity slowly, with no drying of items in your possession.

Standing next to a fire pit or camp fire (rain/snow is falling) wearing rain hat and coat should cause the wet meter to increase very slowly, sanity very slowly decreases and items in possession stay wet. (Not full protection)

Standing next to a fire pit or camp fire (rain/snow is falling) while holding an Umbrella and wearing rain hat and coat should negate all effects of rain/snow, sanity neither increases or decreases and cause drying of all items in inventory. (Full protection)

What are your thoughts?

OLDER

Changed the thread title. We are now discussing how the freeze soak mechanic should/could be changed from Spring to Autumn and work differently for Spring. Instead of freezing in Spring (when soaked) we could either have a higher chance of being struck by lightning (heavy rain storm has a higher chance of lightning strikes) or we could lose hunger due to the body working overtime to get dry again. WX-78 loses health in the rain, other characters lose hunger the more soaked they become. Spring leads onto Summer so naturally temps should be increasing. Autumn leads onto Winter so naturally temps should be decreasing.

Please read the comments towards the end of page 1 for further opinions on this topic.

OLD

Ok I only use default settings. I know many of you do as well.

Rain and the water meter. Meant to be or not to be?

Basically when it rains the water meter slowly fills up. The more it fills the higher the chance of freezing. I have no idea how to prevent this early on. Literally both times I started a new game in default world I started in spring (green deciduous trees), it rained heavy on day 1. This filled my water meter and by day 2 I froze. I know you can make a camp fire to stop the freezing but with the meter filled you can't move away from the fire and while it continues to rain the meter doesn't go down.

It's virtually impossible to move away from a heat source. It's virtually impossible unless super lucky to stock up on resources needed to make a Science Machine to craft anything to reduce/slow down the water meter filling.

Anyone found a way to decrease the 'soak' level, day 1 or 2 if you get Spring with all settings left as default?

Regards.

So far I haven't gotten it that bad. I have been able to make it through all of spring. I make the parasol first due to it's low cost and it helps a bit though you will need something better later on but at the beginning it will suffice. I just try to gather as many materials as possible. Though I did get a bit lucky and get a pig skin thanks to a fight between pigs and merms. That helped me get an umbrella a slight bit easier but it still took me a while to find spiders. Then I just tried to stock up on resources for a bit and I decided to set up next to a swamp for tentacle spots. Once I got a tentacle from the final tentacle I had left I started exploring for a desert to get bone shards. I got that done around day 10. So around day 10 I had my rain hat. So yeah, that's a quick sum of how I went through it. And I also had the misfortune of getting my alchemy machine struck by lightning which set me back a couple of days since I had to get more gold for it.

Rain is pretty annoying, especially as WX since you still get hurt while carrying the pretty umbrella and the normal one. Only with two objects rain doesn't harm WX, which can get a bit hectic since you can quickly die in just two days if you don't have any food, gears, or petals to heal you. Also, the amount of frogs that are dropping from the rain are far too much!

You can create a Pretty Parasol. Like an umbrella, but for beginners. The Parasol is good for keeping moderately dry, and is also good at preventing overheating in Summer. Raises sanity slowly as well.

Thanks for the response guys. Yes I know this already. What I am saying is should the game be so ruthless that early? There is no way you can gather all the resources to make one of these in day 1. It's impossible unless super lucky.

Thanks for the response guys. Yes I know this already. What I am saying is should the game be so ruthless that early? There is no way you can gather all the resources to make one of these in day 1. It's impossible unless super lucky.

You can definitely make a parasol on day one and that helps. 6 flowers, 2 grass and 2 sticks I believe and no science machine required.

As I see it the Strawhat also helps against wetness. And I think the wet-mechanic will be ironed out in the future I would say a bit of tuning down can't harm. But actually I like how sanity has become a thread again

I was chased by two Terrorbeaks around my campfire since ages and I enjoyed it ... a bit

I'm looking at the opposite and this is where the rain is my friend. My character was starting to get hot and when he was swlling in the dessert nothing happened, I think it should make you lose health and it made me so worried that I'll die but jothing happened, just a screen full of red and then when the rain came it went all normal again.

You can definitely make a parasol on day one and that helps. 6 flowers, 2 grass and 2 sticks I believe and no science machine required.

Yeah, I usually stock up on flowers and make around 5 of these things. They keep you dry long enough to avoid some of the negative aspects of rain.

Also, standing near a highly fueled camp fire helps decrease the wetness rate, and will also make you dry faster.

Hmm...LOL!

Yes you're right. Just logged into the game now. Noticed that you can craft one right of the bat. I was so convinced you needed to use a Science Machine to craft one. Sorry guys but thanks for the quick response.

Edit: In that case I think it's perfect. Also do you think standing next to fire should dry you and your wet items? Just a thought.

Edit: But I think it shouldn't rain that fast that early in Spring. Especially as hard as it has done for me both times in day 1.

Hmm...LOL!

Yes you're right. Just logged into the game now. Noticed that you can craft one right of the bat. I was so convinced you needed to use a Science Machine to craft one. Sorry guys but thanks for the quick response.

Edit: In that case I think it's perfect. Also do you think standing next to fire should dry you and your wet items? Just a thought.

Fires for now only dry you, not the items. Right now (it will be tweaked, the wetness mechanic in general is going to get tweaked) one way to dry your items once they have gotten wet is to hold a regular umbrella in your hands and it will dry your items...it's not intended but it's what works right now.

Also worth note is that if you start in Autumn, you'll have a MUCH easier time of it.  Worse came to worse they could just make it so you always start in Autumn.  I kind of wonder if that will eventually be the case, and the spring start right now is largely for testing purposes, since autumn and winter are basically the summer/winter of the original game.  Starting in spring lets you experience the new stuff sooner, though at a disadvantage.

Also worth note is that if you start in Autumn, you'll have a MUCH easier time of it.  Worse came to worse they could just make it so you always start in Autumn.  I kind of wonder if that will eventually be the case, and the spring start right now is largely for testing purposes, since autumn and winter are basically the summer/winter of the original game.  Starting in spring lets you experience the new stuff sooner, though at a disadvantage.

I prefer starting in autumn, that could be biased by the fact that it's where new stuff is at but I do like the harsher start to be honest. Really creates a nice true feeling of survival at the beginning which I haven't gotten in a while.

Fires for now only dry you, not the items. Right now (it will be tweaked, the wetness mechanic in general is going to get tweaked) one way to dry your items once they have gotten wet is to hold a regular umbrella in your hands and it will dry your items...it's not intended but it's what works right now.

Hmm...so technically standing next to a fire should lower the 'soak' meter. Might be a bug but it doesn't work for me. Also do you think that standing next to fire during rain should reduce the 'soak' meter or at least negate the effect of rain/snow having any negative effect on it.

Unfortunately I haven't bought the new DLC yet. I promised myself I'd complete a few tasks I've been putting off for way too long before I allow myself to get engrossed into it, however I have been reading the forums ever since the beta was released. I find it odd that it was Spring, of all things, to be a deadly season while autumn seems so benign. Anyone else think there should be some sort of mechanic introduced into autumn to keep players on their toes?

Unfortunately I haven't bought the new DLC yet. I promised myself I'd complete a few tasks I've been putting off for way too long before I allow myself to get engrossed into it, however I have been reading the forums ever since the beta was released. I find it odd that it was Spring, of all things, to be a deadly season while autumn seems so benign. Anyone else think there should be some sort of mechanic introduced into autumn to keep players on their toes?

I think that's intentional.

Hmm.....Well Winter and now Summer (heat wave) have become the two hardest seasons. What I don't get is why Spring would cause us to freeze? Ok I get the whole soaking thing and well you can catch a cold and get pneumonia etc....but surely it makes more sense for Autumn to cause freezing from soaking as the temperature is dropping heading into Winter.

Spring leads up to Summer (obviously) so surely temperature should be slowly increasing. Maybe the soak meter should work differently during Spring if it is changed so that the more soaked you are the higher the chance of freezing during Autumn.

So technically it should rain more in Autumn (with mid to cold temps) and rain less in Spring (with mid to warm temps). During Autumn we have a higher chance of freezing when soaked and during Spring we have a higher chance of getting say...struck by lightning. During Spring leading up to Summer in the UK we get some serious down pour with thunderous lightning. This will give the Perfect Parasol some more use.

I think Klei done it like this because we need ice for summer so it would be more convenient to have Spring cold for us to gather the ice from glaciers.....

What are your thoughts?

I'm ok with the freezing only added in autum. Because the temperature is dropping towards winter. I don't see the connection between getting soaked and a higher chance of lightning strikes...

There already is the impact on sanity with the ''wet things mechanic'' perhaps there could be something like ''unease'' with being soaked ...I don't know, loosing more hunger because your body has to use more calories to keep the body on working temperature...or something like that

Hmm...so technically standing next to a fire should lower the 'soak' meter. Might be a bug but it doesn't work for me. Also do you think that standing next to fire during rain should reduce the 'soak' meter or at least negate the effect of rain/snow having any negative effect on it.

I personally think that since you're standing immobile doing nothing at a fire should at least stop you from getting wet considering you're using precious time before summer just standing there.

I'm ok with the freezing only added in autum. Because the temperature is dropping towards winter. I don't see the connection between getting soaked and a higher chance of lightning strikes...

There already is the impact on sanity with the ''wet things mechanic'' perhaps there could be something like ''unease'' with being soaked ...I don't know, loosing more hunger because your body has to use more calories to keep the body on working temperature...or something like that

Well I was thinking more along the lines of water conducting electricity.

Hmm..you raise an interesting suggestion. Like respiration? Basically the body is working over time to get the body well....dry again. WX-78 loses health in the rain....so yeah maybe we lose hunger the more wet we become..... (a lot of thinking and hmmmming is going on right now)

Edited the original post. Please read the 'Updated' part. The parts that are irrelevant but I choose to leave due to comments from members of our forum responding to them, start with 'Older' and should not be taken into much consideration.

Thanks.

Also I found it quite annoying that after the rain has stopped when I take of the raincoat (all items in inventory dry) the items become wet again. That makes it impossible to walk around without a raincoat or umbrella in spring (I choose a coat as I want my hands free to gather and fight) even during the short periods when it doesnt rain but there are still puddles on the ground.

Archived